The MMO monthly fee: Is it in your head?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

50 cents a day isn't a lot of money. That doesn't mean I'm going to throw a dollar in the garbage every couple of days. If the continuing content and support they provide isn't worth $15 a month, then it's not a good value.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#52 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

You spend all of that money on a gaming PC but are too cheap to spend $15 a month for a game that releases monthly content?

You're not just paying $15 a month to play the game, you're paying $15 a month for continual development and support. If an MMO doesn't provide this and has a fee, it doesn't stay pay to play for long. However if the devs can deliever on constant updates and new content, $15 a month is completely reasonable. 

chrisrooR

you have to be kidding me. do you honestly believe that the people don't do it because they're cheap? that's like saying "hey you got money for a fancy car, mind paying me dinner?"

Not really. The rationale is that you would be playing the game as much, or more, than you would spend on other games that have much less replayability.

My rationale is that if you're paying $15 a month you're getting $15 a month worth of updates and new content. That's why most P2P MMOs don't last long anymore becuaes they can't keep that up. WoW and Rift are the two that keep up their end of the bargin. Constant updates and new content make them worth the money.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
I had a bunch of things to say but MMOs aren't even worth my 2 cents, even less 15$ per month. Once you play "other" games, you find these mmo are just washed down versions of games with repetitives missions and poor storylines.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

Some do though, because of quality support. Also mmos are more expensive to maintain, with server maintainance and all.

BrunoBRS

But they dont. Most dont get away with it, which is why they go F2P or B2P.

Keep in mind that mmos are more expensive to maintain than other genres with need for constant support, server maintainance, and greater demand for customer support. Think of the F2P mmos as free tv, and think of the P2P mmos as cable tv.

My rationale is that if you're paying $15 a month you're getting $15 a month worth of updates and new content. That's why most P2P MMOs don't last long anymore becuaes they can't keep that up. WoW and Rift are the two that keep up their end of the bargin. Constant updates and new content make them worth the money.

Wasdie

I would argue that EVE also does a good job, heck, they give us a free expansion pack every year.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] you have to be kidding me. do you honestly believe that the people don't do it because they're cheap? that's like saying "hey you got money for a fancy car, mind paying me dinner?"Wasdie

Not really. The rationale is that you would be playing the game as much, or more, than you would spend on other games that have much less replayability.

That rationale doesn't always sit well with me. I could go on forever listing off MMORPGs that were more or less destroyed by their updates and added content. I'd rather pay $60 for a good game and let people who want changed/additional content pay for it themselves.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

That rationale doesn't always sit well with me. I could go on forever listing off MMORPGs that were more or less destroyed by their updates and added content. I'd rather pay $60 for a good game and let people who want changed/additional content pay for it themselves.

KHAndAnime
60$? Games are so cheap with steam these days, you can get a good game for 10$ if you wait a little and spend more than a month playing for less than a sub.
Stokie1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Stokie1996
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

1. MMO you play regularly for 1 year

$60 initial

$15 per month= $180

2 other random game purchases averaging $60=$120

Total for the year $360

vfibsux

I can see what you're getting at, but your math is really off, how many MMO's release $120 DLC annually, unless you're a microtransaction psycho, and this is only for the first year, and obviously there's not a lot of point in paying if you're going to quit after a year.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#58 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I enjoy GW2 a lot more than WoW, and the fact it doesn't have a subscription fee is a huge bonus. The OP makes the assumption that if not paying for a subscription, we're spending money on other games. I rarely purchase new games, much less for $60, so this doesn't apply to everyone.

I make no such assumption, hence the last choice. This is a poll trying to get down to why people avoid the p2p model, it is geared toward those who do so because they think it costs more to p2p than it does to buy games throughout the year. I just did some simple math to show this may not be the case, depending on your spending. It is also not out of the realm of possibilities this is a PC gamer forum and it is assumed you actually buy PC games.......crazy I know.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 vfibsux
I had a bunch of things to say but MMOs aren't even worth my 2 cents, even less 15$ per month. Once you play "other" games, you find these mmo are just washed down versions of games with repetitives missions and poor storylines.masterdrat
Of course you are not implying that people who enjoy MMOs have never played another games....that would be absurd. If you think people play MMO's for repetitive questing and the story lines I don't think you get what MMOs are all about.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 vfibsux

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

I can see what you're getting at, but your math is really off, how many MMO's release $120 DLC annually, unless you're a microtransaction psycho, and this is only for the first year, and obviously there's not a lot of point in paying if you're going to quit after a year.

masterdrat

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

1. MMO you play regularly for 1 year

$60 initial

$15 per month= $180

2 other random game purchases averaging $60=$120

Total for the year $360

Stokie1996

I think you misunderstood the poll.

1. For any point made with math you need it to be finite, I chose a year to keep it simple. This is not implying you will only play the MMO for a year. Saying that, I disagree with you. What's the difference between enjoying an MMO while spending $180 for one year or doubling that for a second year?

2. The other $120 was to account for two additional new releases not related to the MMO. It is unrealistic to think a gamer would only play their one game (the MMO in question) throughout an entire year and no other games, though perhaps some do. I was showing you could pay for the MMO, pay the monthly fee, and still buy two new releases and it would equal the price of getting 6 new releases throughout the year.

3. The math is not off. Last time I checked 2(60) is in fact 120.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I think to me, its the fact I lose everything I did if I stop subscribing. I played WoW on and off for about 6 years and at the time it was fun, but looking back it was probably a big waste of time. The game moved on, my characters are now pretty useless, etc. At least in a multiplayer game without a sub I can generally drop back into it at any time like nothing has changed. Same with a single player RPG.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Maroxad

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I enjoy GW2 a lot more than WoW, and the fact it doesn't have a subscription fee is a huge bonus. The OP makes the assumption that if not paying for a subscription, we're spending money on other games. I rarely purchase new games, much less for $60, so this doesn't apply to everyone. vfibsux
I make no such assumption, hence the last choice. This is a poll trying to get down to why people avoid the p2p model, it is geared toward those who do so because they think it costs more to p2p than it does to buy games throughout the year. I just did some simple math to show this may not be the case, depending on your spending. It is also not out of the realm of possibilities this is a PC gamer forum and it is assumed you actually buy PC games.......crazy I know.

Most PC games are under 60 dollars.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I enjoy GW2 a lot more than WoW, and the fact it doesn't have a subscription fee is a huge bonus. The OP makes the assumption that if not paying for a subscription, we're spending money on other games. I rarely purchase new games, much less for $60, so this doesn't apply to everyone. Maroxad

You guys focus on the wrong things lol. What does this gave to do with the post you quoted anyway?

If you are going to compare things you have to make them comparable. How many contingencies do you expect me to come up with here? "If you buy 2 used games and 2 new ones but wait until they're on sale for 30% off you get this, but maybe this game is 75% off due to a weekend Steam sale in which case it would be this"

Really dude? And the fact is if you look at new releases they are coming in at $50-$60 these days. They are just numbers, I could make them all plus 1000 and the point stays the same. Hell you could throw in one $100 collector's edition and throw the whole thing off. You cannot account for every variable. Did they teach you guys the scientific method in school?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

masterdrat
60$? Games are so cheap with steam these days, you can get a good game for 10$ if you wait a little and spend more than a month playing for less than a sub.

Well I'm talking about a brand new MMORPG with all the bells and whistles. I'm saying I'd rather pay $60 for that and have a micotransaction system set up rather than pay $60 + monthly fee. I really like MMORPGs and I would play a lot more of them if I wasn't forced to pay a monthly fee just to play them. Anybody with a job knows that it's not incredibly easy to balance an MMORPG, work, school, and social life. But based on principle, for me it is hard to justify the $15/mo if you aren't willing to put a lot of time into it.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] I make no such assumption, hence the last choice. This is a poll trying to get down to why people avoid the p2p model, it is geared toward those who do so because they think it costs more to p2p than it does to buy games throughout the year. I just did some simple math to show this may not be the case, depending on your spending. It is also not out of the realm of possibilities this is a PC gamer forum and it is assumed you actually buy PC games.......crazy I know.vfibsux

You guys focus on the wrong things lol. What does this gave to do with the post you quoted anyway?

If you are going to compare things you have to make them comparable. How many contingencies do you expect me to come up with here? "If you buy 2 used games and 2 new ones but wait until they're on sale for 30% off you get this, but maybe this game is 75% off due to a weekend Steam sale in which case it would be this"

Really dude? And the fact is if you look at new releases they are coming in at $50-$60 these days. They are just numbers, I could make them all plus 1000 and the point stays the same. Hell you could throw in one $100 collector's edition and throw the whole thing off. You cannot account for every variable. Did they teach you guys the scientific method in school?

well thing is, videogame prices fluctuate so much, you can't just assume they don't. not assuming price fluctuation when talking about economy is like assuming no air resistance when designing a plane.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.Ondoval

I found Oblivion and Skyrim far more enjoyable that my -small- time with WoW, and to me WvWvW in GW2 is better than any content from WoW. I found that after a while the PvE parts from GW2/WoW are almost equally lame -aka: boring- to me, due are focused in to grinding -korean style-, so I only touch those PvE contents to found my competitive WvWvW spents.

wtf? It takes abotu the same time to level to max on both games, and funnily enough WoW's *modern* quests are far more engaging. there is no korean grind about it. Instead with GW2 you have: Korean dungeon waiting times due to no usefull group finding features. Poorly designed combat and boss encounters, lets be honest its so shallow its a joke. Korean legendary item grinds that are based on time spent, not running difficult heroic dungeons. Korean event grinding runs through cursed shore OMG THE FUN. WvWvW is a good point. but its still shallow as s*it. same with SPVP. but then this is a clash of PvE vs PvP gamer. but damn son guild wars 2 is worse in PvP than guild wars 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.Maroxad

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Trion Worlds kinda drop the ball with Storm Legion, I have heard nothing but hate for the game ever since.

Also, someone thinking that GW2>WoW or RIFT does not make them an idiot, and this is coming from someone who is highly critical of GW2 and if I were to return to a themepark it would be WoW. Could be that GW2 just fits into their tastes better.

Idiot was a strong word. But lets talk facts? Nobody in the competitive community cares about GW2 despite that being what they wanted (FLOP). WoW/Rifts balancing patches are frequent, Guild Wars 2s are minor and sucky... they dont seem to even know what they want to do with their classes, as shallow as they are. Combat and Dungeons LONG TERM were clearly not even considered in their attempt to get as many casuals to buy the game as possible..... its so shallow. SPVP has alot less featuers than GW1 .... and is not even as good because of no trinity. Who still believes no trinity was good in the guild wars case? because Guild Wars 2 is damn shallow.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58436 Posts

you get what you pay for.

fortunately, most MMOs provide a near-infinite amount of playability/replayability, and 15 bucks a month is a bargain considering that the average 60-dollar shooter has a five-hour campaign and is only fun online for a few weeks.

Its important to subscribe to an MMO that looks after their community, and offers constant updates, and free content on a regular basis, i.e. WoW and SWTOR

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 vfibsux
[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

BrunoBRS

well thing is, videogame prices fluctuate so much, you can't just assume they don't. not assuming price fluctuation when talking about economy is like assuming no air resistance when designing a plane.

Again you guys are focusing way too much on the trivial parts of this poll and this discussion. The whole point was you can buy an MMO at the max price you would normally see one ($60), play it for one year at the max monthly rate you see out there ($15 per), buy two max priced new released ($60x2) and it would be around the same price as if you bought 6 brand new PC games at a new release max price ($60 each) which IS realistic. Right now on Steam: Bioshock Infinite $60 Defiance $60 COD Black Ops II $60 Tomb Raider $50 Farcry 3 $50 So let's stop acting as though the prices I used are unrealistic, that's a crock of ****. The poll used max prices you see these days to make a point, it does not account for you waiting 6 months to wait for a game to be on sale. Like I said, prices are irrelevant to the poll anyway, I could have double them all and the same point would be made. Playing a p2p MMO is not more expensive than buying single player PC games.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 vfibsux

you get what you pay for.

fortunately, most MMOs provide a near-infinite amount of playability/replayability, and 15 bucks a month is a bargain considering that the average 60-dollar shooter has a five-hour campaign and is only fun online for a few weeks.mrbojangles25

Exactly.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]The sub fee is the #1 factor in my buying a MMO. If it has a fee, I will not buy it no matter how good a game is. I got better things to spend my money on. It isn't a matter of money for me (god look at the specs to the system I just built and tell me money is the issue for me). It's a matter of principles.Wasdie

You spend all of that money on a gaming PC but are too cheap to spend $15 a month for a game that releases monthly content?

You're not just paying $15 a month to play the game, you're paying $15 a month for continual development and support. If an MMO doesn't provide this and has a fee, it doesn't stay pay to play for long. However if the devs can deliever on constant updates and new content, $15 a month is completely reasonable. 

Do you have issue understanding what you are reading or something? What part of money isn't an issue are you not grasping?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]The sub fee is the #1 factor in my buying a MMO. If it has a fee, I will not buy it no matter how good a game is. I got better things to spend my money on. It isn't a matter of money for me (god look at the specs to the system I just built and tell me money is the issue for me). It's a matter of principles.AmazonTreeBoa

Do you have issue understanding what you are reading or something? What part of money isn't an issue are you not grasping?

Do you have issues understanding as well? What principles exactly? What is with you people and this idea that they are trying to rip you off or something.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

MBirdy88

Do you have issues understanding as well? What principles exactly? What is with you people and this idea that they are trying to rip you off or something.

Are you ignorant? Where did I say anything about them ripping you off. Seems WASDIE isn't the only one with reading comprehension issues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Do you have issue understanding what you are reading or something? What part of money isn't an issue are you not grasping?

AmazonTreeBoa

Are you ignorant? Where did I say anything about them ripping you off. Seems WASDIE isn't the only one with reading comprehension issues.

Then justify the principle instead of back-n-foreing. what principle. A principle needs justification, otherwise is just pig-head stubbornness ironically based on ignorance.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Do you have issues understanding as well? What principles exactly? What is with you people and this idea that they are trying to rip you off or something. MBirdy88

Then justify the principle instead of back-n-foreing. what principle. A principle needs justification, otherwise is just pig-head stubbornness ironically based on ignorance.

I don't need to justify anything to you. You are a nobody to me. Press on. Approach me like a jackass and you will get treated like one. I was never talking to you and will be keeping it that way.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Find me an MMO better than a sub based MMO and I will start caring. If any idiot says GW2 > WoW or Rift kindly blow it out of your ass.MBirdy88

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Trion Worlds kinda drop the ball with Storm Legion, I have heard nothing but hate for the game ever since.

Also, someone thinking that GW2>WoW or RIFT does not make them an idiot, and this is coming from someone who is highly critical of GW2 and if I were to return to a themepark it would be WoW. Could be that GW2 just fits into their tastes better.

Idiot was a strong word. But lets talk facts? Nobody in the competitive community cares about GW2 despite that being what they wanted (FLOP). WoW/Rifts balancing patches are frequent, Guild Wars 2s are minor and sucky... they dont seem to even know what they want to do with their classes, as shallow as they are. Combat and Dungeons LONG TERM were clearly not even considered in their attempt to get as many casuals to buy the game as possible..... its so shallow. SPVP has alot less featuers than GW1 .... and is not even as good because of no trinity. Who still believes no trinity was good in the guild wars case? because Guild Wars 2 is damn shallow.

Guild Wars 2's SPvP is terrible and nearly dead (check spoiler tag below). Yeah I will agree that Arenanet completely dropped the ball there.
Guild Wars 2's post launch support has been terrible, I agree with you on this as well. And I assume the lack of a monthly fee (and arenanet's obsession with crappy living story/holidays events) are to blame for this.
Guild Wars 2's biggest issue with dungeons is the encounter and enemy design. But the combat is still flawed. The issues with Guild Wars 2's combat system is the lack of resource management and a very uninteresting buff/debuff system. Especially compared to the original which handled both really well.

The original guild wars had a lot of depth compared to other games in the genre, and thus the game's lack of decent post launch support was more than made up for with its depth. Unfortunately for Guild Wars 2, it lacking in both depth and good post launch support, which is due to mismanagement and possibly a lack of funding and motivation to keep players playing.

[spoiler]

EC89FEFCCCDC84CD513158EC9478DEB202DCFBF9

[/spoiler]

While I do think that the trinity was a great concept... for MUDs (where it originated from). It really has no place in any other genre, as posiitoning and formations and mobility should take its place. WoW's PvE mechanics are extremely shallow too, unless your definition of depth is a bunch of people playing whac-a-mole with health bars, another bunch facerolling rotations on the keyboard for optimal damage and 2 people or so playing their own little game trying to survive with little to no synergy (boss mechanics may add some resembelance of teamwork) is depth.

The trinity is a very shallow mechanic. Role systems are not, the trinity is a terrible implementation of the role system.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Do you have issue understanding what you are reading or something? What part of money isn't an issue are you not grasping?

AmazonTreeBoa

Reading comprehension is so weak on this board. In general, I like to pretend that I'm addressing a classroom of Kindergarten kids.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Are you ignorant? Where did I say anything about them ripping you off. Seems WASDIE isn't the only one with reading comprehension issues.AmazonTreeBoa

I don't need to justify anything to you. You are a nobody to me. Press on. Approach me like a jackass and you will get treated like one. I was never talking to you and will be keeping it that way.

Translation "I don't have a reason". hokay, public forum matey. But keep pretend your a badass.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#79 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I don't play MMO's and wont support them. They have caused other games to adopt similar style money gouging like microtransactions. I'll pay $60 for a game if it's good. I'm not going to then go and pay for online passes, dlc (especially if its day one or already on the disc) and then pay monthly fees or micro transactions after already paying $60 for the product.
tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

So SWTOR is free right? If i download now and start playing, what do i have to pay for? Is it equipment,ships etc.. or game play like a specific action, movement etc?

S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts

So SWTOR is free right? If i download now and start playing, what do i have to pay for? Is it equipment,ships etc.. or game play like a specific action, movement etc?

tanerb
As far as I know, you have to unlock a lot of things, e.g. special gear slots, ability to use any of the more rare gear... I think, how it says about F2P; you get the basic story and that's it. All the rest is either unavailable completely, or you have to purchase it with real money. Basically unlock this, unlock that. From what I've gathered it could get extremely expensive.
The_Cous18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 The_Cous18
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I am looking forward to the Edler Scrolls MMO but I feel the price could stop me playing it :(