The last days of World of Warcraft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Howdy everyone. Well I'll use topics to guide myself.

1) Content

I feel like after 'the burning crusade' the content in world of warcraft got boring. In my opinion we just got more of the same, over and over again. Raids aren't as fun as it used to be. Maybe that is because, I was excited when I first played World of Warcraft and 4 years after (now) I get a little bored of playing this game. Cataclysm sure as hell brought some new content, but now I don't feel excitement anymore when I play through the 'good ol' zones'. Even thought, I haven't really enjoyed cataclysm in first place, I would prefer a new continent than tearing a part Azeroth.

2) Social

Now this one has sure as hell seen better days. I have 2 characters in 2 different servers, on my horde one I barely hear anything from my guild. On tbc times, I logged on and I was instantly seeing some fun on the guild chat. And you know what? Right now, I log in, and that's it because my guildmates have evolved from friends to douchebags. And it's not only my guild problem, the same happens with the trade chat, you remember how people used to write all kinds of crap on the trade chat, well now they use it for TRADE... god sake!

3) Competitors

It sure isn't a lie, WoW is getting old, and new MMO's are rising and they are promising. I won't mention titan because I don't know a damn, besides a screenshot (so I don't even know how people say that titan is going to crush WoW if they never saw titan). But i am sure as hell mentioning TERA, Rift and StarWars: The Old Republic. From these 3, I will play only StarWars: TOR, but I won't leave wow, no matter how good these rpg's are, wow as taught me a lot, and I love it the way it is, unfortunately I've seen lots of people who don't.

Well guys, I know for a fact that World of Warcraft has seen better days, but I hope as hell it doesn't dies. I still enjoy playing the game, and look at diablo 1 its old as hell, but people still play it and blizzard still runs the servers for it (the same happens with starcraft 1, diablo 2, warcraft 3 and a hell of other games that don't belong to blizzard). And even if retail perishes, I think that the die hard players will find confort on private servers.

So guys, these are my two cents. And you, how do you think that world of warcraft will end?(if it will end)

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I have a group of mates who have either come back or never really stopped playing that I still do everything in WoW with since I came back (less than a month ago now) so I strongly disagree on all of your points, the entire game relies on its social aspect and if you are playing it solo and pugging I can see exactly why that would taint your opinion. You see these comments from WoW players all the time, best tip I can give you is just take a break and only play when you actually want to (just because you have burned out doesn't mean its the end of the world (of warcraft)).

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Probably wont die but it will always be a boring carebear MMO.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

1) Content

I feel like after 'the burning crusade' the content in world of warcraft got boring. In my opinion we just got more of the same, over and over again. Raids aren't as fun as it used to be. Maybe that is because, I was excited when I first played World of Warcraft and 4 years after (now) I get a little bored of playing this game. Cataclysm sure as hell brought some new content, but now I don't feel excitement anymore when I play through the 'good ol' zones'. Even thought, I haven't really enjoyed cataclysm in first place, I would prefer a new continent than tearing a part Azeroth.

I agree with this. I feel the same way and I definitely believe it's because we've played it for so long. Back then, WoW was new and exciting, the world was smaller which I think was great because that made it feel more populated. The world was more social and compact, now a lot of the players are scattered and with the new flying mounts you barely even see each other.

2) Social

Now this one has sure as hell seen better days. I have 2 characters in 2 different servers, on my horde one I barely hear anything from my guild. On tbc times, I logged on and I was instantly seeing some fun on the guild chat. And you know what? Right now, I log in, and that's it because my guildmates have evolved from friends to douchebags. And it's not only my guild problem, the same happens with the trade chat, you remember how people used to write all kinds of crap on the trade chat, well now they use it for TRADE... god sake!

I think this is just a coincidence, when I played about two months ago, I was in a guild that happened to be very friendly and social.

3) Competitors

It sure isn't a lie, WoW is getting old, and new MMO's are rising and they are promising. I won't mention titan because I don't know a damn, besides a screenshot (so I don't even know how people say that titan is going to crush WoW if they never saw titan). But i am sure as hell mentioning TERA, Rift and StarWars: The Old Republic. From these 3, I will play only StarWars: TOR, but I won't leave wow, no matter how good these rpg's are, wow as taught me a lot, and I love it the way it is, unfortunately I've seen lots of people who don't.

Personally I feel Rift is very very generic and while I haven't read much about Old Republic, from what I've understood there will be a lot of instanced and solo play right? I feel like that is a huge step in the wrong direction of mmorpgs. As for TERA, well it does look a bit good. And you forgot to mention GW2, I know the first game wasn't a real mmorpg but this one seems to be one right?

Well guys, I know for a fact that World of Warcraft has seen better days, but I hope as hell it doesn't dies. I still enjoy playing the game, and look at diablo 1 its old as hell, but people still play it and blizzard still runs the servers for it (the same happens with starcraft 1, diablo 2, warcraft 3 and a hell of other games that don't belong to blizzard). And even if retail perishes, I think that the die hard players will find confort on private servers.

So guys, these are my two cents. And you, how do you think that world of warcraft will end?(if it will end)

Considering how many old rpgs are still up and running, considering the other older Blizzard games are still as active as they are, I don't think WoW will "die" for a very very very very long time. Hell, I bet that when I'm 40, in a whole twenty years, it might still be up and running. Hopefully I won't be playing it then because that would be very sad.

tjricardo089

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i missed the world of warcraft is dying thread #53453274527625476245 in game forums, its been dying since like 3 years now, according to dying threads.

XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

Personally I feel Rift is very very generic and while I haven't read much about Old Republic, from what I've understood there will be a lot of instanced and solo play right? I feel like that is a huge step in the wrong direction of mmorpgs. As for TERA, well it does look a bit good. And you forgot to mention GW2, I know the first game wasn't a real mmorpg but this one seems to be one right?

xWoW_Rougex

Actually, The Old Republic isn't going to focus a lot on singleplayer. It is just going to have a major story involved with it and different outcomes depending on your dialogue choices and such, seeing as it is made by Bioware. I think that since they are focusing so much on the story it will be a good improvement for MMOs. I mean seriously, I don't think there has ever been an MMO with a good, captivating story.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tjricardo089

who will die first? wow private servers or wow retail?

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

who will die first? wow private servers or wow retail?

tjricardo089
Wat, aren't private wow servers against the ToU? Anyway, in the end they'll likely out last retail, since there's gonna be a die hard fan a century from now with a private wow server.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

1) Content

Opinions, theyre meaningless. To me TBC was, is and forever will be utter crap. I am sorry but dont be one of those people that play a game for years and then complain that after years of fun theyve grown bored...Remember the good times and move on.

2) Social

Ive had no problem with the chat ingame. The forums are a cesspool sure, but ingame I am in two awesome guilds with great mature players. Trade chat...never used it so I could care less whats happening there. If you have a guild I dont really see why you would need trade chat.

3) Competitors

The worst thing about WoW is actually the competition. Most mmos fail becouse they try to copy WoW, which is not bad in itself becouse thats what the games industry is about, but the thing is that devs seem to think that copying WoW=succes, or that copying something is easy. Thats BS. Even if you are making a clone you still need to know what it really is that makes an element from WoW work so well. The only game so far that has gotten the right idea is Rift. As for the other games that you have mentioned I remain sceptical. If a uniqe battle system was enough to make a game popular we would still be playing Tabula Rasa, and AoC would be king. ToR to me has promise but its also a missed opportunity. Its seems very by the numbers, except when it comes to its focus on story. Like I said being a clone is not bad but with the huge fanbase that Star Wars and Bioware has I was hoping they would take more risks. New devs should be making the safe games, the devs with fans, money and license should be taking risks and evolving the genre.

WoW will be around for atleast 10 more years if not twice that. Look at all the classic mmos that are still around and being updated. Ultima, EQ, Ashersons Call are ancient yet theyre still alive and kicking. In a few years WoW will probably be playable on Ipads, smartphones and browsers bringing it to even more people. The wonderfull nature of an mmo is that its ever evolving. Through constant patches I dont doubt that a game could change completely over time. Even the old graphics can be brought up to date. Look at Anarchy online and the update that it will get.

tjricardo089

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tjricardo089

my question is: "is it worth to pay 15$ a month for something that will end sooner or later?" I love world of warcraft, and i have put lots of effort on my characters that I don't want to lose them EVER. Call me a fanboy or whatever you want, but the truth is I am kind of connected with my characters.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

I've heard the same thing, that people are getting tired of WoW years before.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rzepak

my question is: "is it worth to pay 15$ a month for something that will end sooner or later?" I love world of warcraft, and i have put lots of effort on my characters that I don't want to lose them EVER. Call me a fanboy or whatever you want, but the truth is I am kind of connected with my characters.

tjricardo089

Of course its worth it. Not doing something becouse sometime in the future it may end is a terrible idea. Going by that philosophy you would miss so much its scary to think about it. To me this is kinda like people, before even starting to play a game, wondering about end game as if thats the only thing worth a damn in a game.

Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts

There were several major mmo's (That were considered very successful for their time) before WoW. Ultima Online (launched 1997), and Everquest (Launched 1999) were the first 2 in North America, both are still going after 10+ years, and from what we know, there is no plan to shut ether one down in the near future. WoW is colossal in comparison, and is only 6 years old, you really think it's in it's last days? With a sub count this year still at 12 million, and you think it's in it's last days. Really?

/palmface

Doomsayers give me a headache, please go make a PC gaming is dying post so my head will explode.

Swedish_Chef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Swedish_Chef
Member since 2003 • 623 Posts
There's no way WoW has 12million subs right at this time. I know my server might not be a litmus test for the game, but it's easily down 2/5th or so of the population it was late last year. I play on a launch day server, it's had a very stable population for nearly 8 years now and now it really looks like it's dying.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

WoW will never die, if for no other reason than that many people simply use the game as a chat room and don't do anything else/anything productive.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

There's no way WoW has 12million subs right at this time. I know my server might not be a litmus test for the game, but it's easily down 2/5th or so of the population it was late last year. I play on a launch day server, it's had a very stable population for nearly 8 years now and now it really looks like it's dying. Swedish_Chef

1 anecdote from 1 server, nice.

There are population lists all over the place, go look them up.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rzepak

[QUOTE="Swedish_Chef"]There's no way WoW has 12million subs right at this time. I know my server might not be a litmus test for the game, but it's easily down 2/5th or so of the population it was late last year. I play on a launch day server, it's had a very stable population for nearly 8 years now and now it really looks like it's dying. GummiRaccoon

1 anecdote from 1 server, nice.

There are population lists all over the place, go look them up.

Also even if WoW had only 2 or 3 million players it would still have more than double the players of its nearest competitor.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tjricardo089

you guys are right, I worry a little too much xd

this is what I am going to do: I'll play world of warcraft until I don't feel like anymore, and it the end of wow comes before, I guess I'll just port my characters into a private server because, after wow is off there is nothing that blizzard can do about the private sservers ( not really sure about this point, but who cares, blizzard still has diablo rolling, so let's hope for wow to continue many many years :) )