THE DEBATE : The best online multiplayer game

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 Jodan77
Member since 2005 • 2567 Posts

Team Fortress 2 is the best multiplayer game. I have never been an avid multiplayer fan, but Team Fortress 2 is just the pinnacle of competive multiplayer. Easily Accesible. Easy on the Eyes, and interesting dynamics makes this stand out from the rest of the pack. Also, the constant updates from Valve don't hurt either.

Left 4 Dead and S.W.A.T 4 get honorable metnions for being the most fun I've had in a cooperative setting. But neither have come close to my playtime in Team Fortress 2.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

Ive been playing Counterstrike for 10 years now. No game has lasted me that long.

Also Team Fortress Classic and, by association, Team Fortress 2. I still like TFC better

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#53 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

TF2, definitely. The most consistent fun I've had in pretty much my whole (perhaps rather short) online PC gaming experience. Yeah, sometimes I yell at my screen at the other team for playing like douchebags, but we usually come back in the most epic firefights, and makes it all worth it. Easy to get into, and once you start getting used to the roles you play in the team, it's like an art form.

DoD:S, CSS can be hit or miss at times. Some days you get into a really good server, and leave with a smile. Then the next time you jump into a match, you're staring at the respawn timer for the better part of the game. Company of Heroes is the same thing. After a hard-fought battle, one huge loss can turn you off from playing online for the rest of that week.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i'm surprised noone has mentioned any mmos. i think mine would have to be guild wars, it used to be a blast when i had enough time to invest in it, with a bunch of guildies and a couple of real life friends. played it to death and i still sometimes enjoy going on for a bit of random arenas. if it isn't guildwars it would be a shooter. FEAR combat, perhaps. it has one of the best deathmatch gameplay i've experienced. i have had the most epic firefights in FEAR (cod4 would be second). sadly, none of my friends play online shooters, and because i cannot invest into joining a clan i have to pub games like tf2. otherwise it would probably be tf2.
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaelken"]I can't believe people still play trial and error games like RTS or CS or Crysis

Baselerd

How are those trial and error games?

All static games are.

It's funny, dynamic gameplay and dynamic maps should have been standard close to 10 years ago, but people still have no idea what it is lmao

On a sidenote, you could also argue WoW is the best online MP considering how effectively it attracts the masses

ultra_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ultra_bob
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

in my opinion either Cod4 or Left 4 Dead.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
i'm surprised noone has mentioned any mmos. Kh1ndjal
MMOs = Timesink. If you enjoy repetition and low quality interaction, more power to you.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"]i'm surprised noone has mentioned any mmos. GodLovesDead
MMOs = Timesink. If you enjoy repetition and low quality interaction, more power to you.

that's a pretty narrow view of MMO's.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"]i'm surprised noone has mentioned any mmos. _Pedro_

They are all repetitive and more often than not you're doing single-thought activities. I've played atleast a dozen MMOs, I know.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"] They are all repetitive and more often than not you're doing single-thought activities. I've played atleast a dozen MMOs, I know.

well it's not that I don't agree with you, but there are probably over 15 million people that actively play MMO's. I mean there must be more to them than meets the eye?
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="_Pedro_"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"] MMOs = Timesink. If you enjoy repetition and low quality interaction, more power to you.

They are all repetitive and more often than not you're doing single-thought activities. I've played atleast a dozen MMOs, I know.

i know people who have spent more time in de_dust than in sunlight; how are shooters not repetitive? also, guildwars (i do not want to argue whether it is an mmo, at this point) has a level 20 cap, which can be reached in couple weeks, with maxed equipment. there has been no major updates for a long time yet it still has a large player base. like someone else said, surely, there must more to it than meets the eye
sk8erwarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#62 sk8erwarlock
Member since 2007 • 533 Posts
Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is proably my favorite, its always getting updates for character classes, new map, and it's just so fun, and still has a great community!
u2i_l0ver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 u2i_l0ver
Member since 2006 • 115 Posts

I can't believe it..the nerve on some people >_> playing other types of games, they should all just play FPS CO-OP games since they are the future, developers should concentrate more on FPS games, because we don't get enough of them, 2 or 3 FPS games per year are far from enough.

Also people that play games that they like or games that are not FPS should be banned from the internet.

/sarcasm

CoD 4, GRID, TMUF, CS, CS: S, TF 2, CoH, WiC, Crysis -the original one, not Wars, I like the multiplayer part of the first one a lot more.

DanielDust

That made me laugh, nice ownage.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts
Soldier of Fortune 2, Capture the Flag had me additected for years since it first came out but at this moment COD 4 and COD 5 are the best, imo
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

World of Warcraft for a well balanced massive multiplayer experience, packaged with phenomenal art design and audio design. Constant updates through patches for additional content. User made movies, add ons, forums and fan art for a well adjusted game experience that's divergent by any other game out there on the market.

Runner ups:

-TF2

-Cod4

-CS 1.6

-BF2

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="_Pedro_"] that's a pretty narrow view of MMO's.

i know people who have spent more time in de_dust than in sunlight; how are shooters not repetitive? also, guildwars (i do not want to argue whether it is an mmo, at this point) has a level 20 cap, which can be reached in couple weeks, with maxed equipment. there has been no major updates for a long time yet it still has a large player base. like someone else said, surely, there must more to it than meets the eye

Shooters are certainly repetitive, but their gameplay is a little more involving than hitting a few hotkeys while downing cheetos. Guild Wars isn't an MMO and it's PvP-centric so it really doesn't apply to the discussion. The only reason people play some of these terribly droll MMOs is for gear and advancement. If there wasn't any gear or advancement, nobody would play these games. It's sort of a "carrot on a stick" ordeal.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"] They are all repetitive and more often than not you're doing single-thought activities. I've played atleast a dozen MMOs, I know. GodLovesDead

Shooters are certainly repetitive, but their gameplay is a little more involving than hitting a few hotkeys while downing cheetos. Guild Wars isn't an MMO and it's PvP-centric so it really doesn't apply to the discussion. The only reason people play some of these terribly droll MMOs is for gear and advancement. If there wasn't any gear or advancement, nobody would play these games. It's sort of a "carrot on a stick" ordeal.

Like Pedro said, that's a narrow view. Shooters are essentially point and clicks if I wanted to be narrowed minded like you. You mentioned no one would admire these type of games had there been no gear or advancement, but if that's the case by your logic then RPGs are in the same category, to simply put there are valid reason why games like Everquest, WoW ect. are in a category of MMORPG.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 GodLovesDead

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"] i know people who have spent more time in de_dust than in sunlight; how are shooters not repetitive? also, guildwars (i do not want to argue whether it is an mmo, at this point) has a level 20 cap, which can be reached in couple weeks, with maxed equipment. there has been no major updates for a long time yet it still has a large player base. like someone else said, surely, there must more to it than meets the eyeOoSuperMarioO

Like Pedro said, that's a narrow view. Shooters are essentially point and clicks if I wanted to be narrowed minded like you. You mentioned no one would admire these type of games had there been no gear or advancement, but if that's the case by your logic then RPGs are in the same category, to simply put there are valid reason why games like Everquest, WoW ect. are in a category of MMORPG.

I've raided in top-tier Everquest guilds, WoW guilds, etc. You can't really change my "narrow view" - because most of the time, you're doing absolutely nothing involving. Shooters are much more complex and are much more rewarding - and they don't even require you to waste 4 hours a day grinding. That's probably why shooters are getting more mentions than MMOs. RPGs aren't in the same category because they are contained. They have linear progression and they don't require endless hours of repetition for advancement.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"] Shooters are certainly repetitive, but their gameplay is a little more involving than hitting a few hotkeys while downing cheetos. Guild Wars isn't an MMO and it's PvP-centric so it really doesn't apply to the discussion. The only reason people play some of these terribly droll MMOs is for gear and advancement. If there wasn't any gear or advancement, nobody would play these games. It's sort of a "carrot on a stick" ordeal.GodLovesDead

I've raided in top-tier Everquest guilds, WoW guilds, etc. You can't really change my "narrow view" - because most of the time, you're doing absolutely nothing involving. Shooters are much more complex and are much more rewarding - and they don't even require you to waste 4 hours a day grinding. That's probably why shooters are getting more mentions than MMOs. RPGs aren't in the same category because they are contained. They have linear progression and they don't require endless hours of repetition for advancement.

Well it all depends on the ambition, more over there are reasons why some guilds are better then others in addition to progressing more efficiently. MMORPGs are just as complex as FPS and just as rewarding for successfully completing raid encounters, Quest, Gear ect. MMOs are essentially the driving force behind online gaming revenue for the PC platform today, which is clear why investors are spending plenty for share holds.

FPS are obtaining that level of attention from the console market today, not PC gaming as it was years ago.

The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

Counter Strike.

rctyke

taker_1192

Forum Posts