The Consolization of PCs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SIN55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

#1 SIN55
Member since 2003 • 248 Posts

Hi fellas,

There's one thing I have just been wondering for a long time and never thought about posting it before now. Why don't PC games play like console games. Hear me out. While consoles are now going towards the "install game to HDD" method, I've always been wondering why PC games don't play off the disc directly, like consoles.

I only have a handful of games for PC installed at a time. These 5-6 games take up about 50gb of HDD space. Sure 50gb seems like nothing nowadays, but games will get bigger and bigger in size eventually. Wouldn't it be great to just pop in a PC game disc in the drive and play right away, as opposed to installing the whole 6gb of game data to the HDD, still requiring the disc to be in the drive while playing (unless you crack it, but only bad people do that, eh? ;-)).

Most games in the past used to give you a choice between Minimal install and Full install, but you still had to install them. I'd like to just insert the disc, have a window pop up saying "Play Game Now" and just get into it. All the settings, saves and patches could be stored on the HDD just like current consoles. Sure, they may still give you the option to do a Full install, for people who want faster load times.

I'd like to know your thoughts on this. Why hasn't this been done before? Is it because too many people have too different hardware and the disc speeds would vary too much? I dont see how that's different from people having weaker graphic cards than others.

Discuss!

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
Games aren't played off the discs because that is slower and worse.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
Well, in this area, the consoles are coming PC'ized. (lol) I think its because discs are slow and will result in slower load times and slow downs when reading off the disc during gameplay. Why do you think this is happening on consoles?
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

"I've always been wondering why PC games don't play off the disc directly, like consoles."

err you really want to have the console load time? For example 1-2min when you load star wars tfu on the x360.

SIN55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SIN55

I don't mind slower load times, if it can save me the gigs and gigs of space on my HDD. Consoles aren't doing that bad in load times.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts

i made a similar topic a few months ago but the idea was very much dismissed.

i wouldnt mind it though..id like to have the option. obhiously something like fallout 3, oblivion or NWN2....i wouldnt dream of running off a disc (though again the option would be nice). but somethign like colin Mcrae rally 2005...i really dont see why i need to install that. my disc drive is much faster than any disc drive in a previous gen console and would make absolute mincemeat of that game in terms of loading.

PC is about choice...so why dont devs give us the option of playing from disc? since multiplat is the future (for better or worse) devs have to optimize their game for loading off the disc anyway. i cant think of anything fundimentally wrong with the PC that would stop a dev from using the disc to load game data on a PC.

still with DD taking over...its probably going to be a moot issue anyway.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
I'm not poor and can afford a good size hard drive so I will stick with my faster load times and installs thank you very much.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts

Most people want to use up the HDD space... faster load times, performance is everything.

Hard drives are SO cheap these days. You can get terabyte drives cheap as chips

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#9 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I think they tried that with Halo 2 on PC...
DarkSidexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarkSidexxx
Member since 2007 • 364 Posts
The consoles also lose detail and other PC quality visuals with their limited memory and compromises to be able to play off the disc at an acceptable speed of data transfer so as to not interrupt gameplay.It would be even harder to feed a PC all the detailed data it needs without hitches and pop in..I'd rather have the game install onto the hard drive and get all the performance and benefits of the PC.
danb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 danb0
Member since 2004 • 445 Posts
Dude, hard drives are cheap as chips nowdays. You can buy a 500GB for almost $100AUD. GTA IV is only going to require 18GB and Crysis is only like 6GB. You say games will get bigger and bigger but the same is true for hard drives. I don't like having to go find the CD/DVD every time I want to play a game- it gets kind of annoying when you have a decent sized library of games. Besides, as others have said, DVD drives have a much slower transfer rate than an HDD does, so you're gonna get hit with slower loading times.
Avatar image for hedgehogenstein
hedgehogenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hedgehogenstein
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts
Aw man, I got all worked up thinking this was gonna be a rant on how console games are ruining PC games thanks to multiplatforming. You have disappointed hedgehogenstein, sir!
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts

am I honestly the only one here who doesn't care about installations? i can live with any load time as long as it's under 5 minutes or something. in fact, i find installations a little troublesome. when there's too much space being taken up, some games gotta go and my hard drives (both PC and console ones) are being used for more than just gaming.

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Captain__Tripps

Its not just about load times, but slowdowns/glitches during gameplay. I don't think it would be a bad thing to have the option of a a more limited install, if someone wanted to sacriface load time for disk space, while still being able to load data off the HD during gameplay, but the savings probably won't be very big.

Manyac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Manyac
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts

if i wanted to wait for my games to load i'd buy a console. :roll:

optical drives are much slower compared to hardrives and also the data on a game disc is usually compressed. Also, switching discs (for some large games) is also not my style.

why limit yourself when a decent harddrive costs so little.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Patches and custom content are a lot easier to do when the whole package is installed on the PC itself. AND unlike consoles PC games are utilized to run off the HDD and make good use of SATA speeds.
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
having the altough i do hear ya just pooping it in and playing would be nice to do sometimes i wouldnt want it all the time as then im forced to have my disk in all the time :(. and there are simply many advantages of having the data on the hard drive faster load times among other things and with harddrives prices being so cheap u cant rely complain about space.
SIN55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SIN55

You all make good points, but these are things I knew ever since games were installed from floppies...

I guess playing on the fly would only work on older games the PC could handle easier. When I look at my collection of PC games, and I feel like playing one I havent played in a while, I always tell myself "Bah, I'd have to install it and everything... too much trouble."

Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts
eh HDD aren't that expensive and you can buy a huge external for the nongames
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
Sounds like you're just lazy...
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Captain__Tripps

You all make good points, but these are things I knew ever since games were installed from floppies...

I guess playing on the fly would only work on older games the PC could handle easier. When I look at my collection of PC games, and I feel like playing one I havent played in a while, I always tell myself "Bah, I'd have to install it and everything... too much trouble."

SIN55

Playing from a floppy would be just as big a pain... unless its ancient and on one floppy. And assuming the floppy works which tended to go bad just looking at them wrong...

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

I far prefer spending 20 minutes installing a game and getting substantially reduced loading times for the many hours I play a game. As others have mentioned, HDD's are very cheap these days. A Western Digital 640GB drive retails for $75 on Newegg.

primehunter326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 primehunter326
Member since 2005 • 1268 Posts
Interesting idea, though .like everyone said I'd much rather install it on the HD and ideally not have to use the CD at all (not even for validation). Space is cheap on PC's and loading from the HD is MUCH faster than from a CD.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I think they tried that with Halo 2 on PC...biggest_loser
Yes, "Tray and Play".
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
There is a reason why consoles are heading the PC direction.
1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts

Ummm ya what everyone else said.

Having the game installed on a hard drive is way faster, and its even MORE faster when you have more Memory AKA RAM because there is LESS fetching from the hard drive to the memory.

Here is a summary Memory is the fastest, hard drives in second place and dvd players ect are slow.

I've played the xbox and there is a ridiculous amount of fetching, microsoft AND sony both cheaped out on memory LOL

SIN55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SIN55

Sounds like you're just lazy...ElectricNZ

I think that's irrelevant, as playing games generally IS being lazy.

Well, I'm man enough to admit that my idea has been succesfully shot down. In theory it would be neat, but in reality it would be too crippling on performance.

kilaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kilaan
Member since 2003 • 845 Posts
Don't most newer PS3 games require some sort of installation? Don't some of the newer Xbox games require some sort of installation? I don't know for a fact because I don't own any consoles but if anything it seems like its going the other way as consoles are becoming more PCized.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="ElectricNZ"]Sounds like you're just lazy...SIN55

Well, I'm man enough to admit that my idea has been succesfully shot down. In theory it would be neat, but in reality it would be too crippling on performance.

Games are for fun and to realx, :| not all people play games because they are lazy, in fact almost none, when you are lazy, playing games is not fun, it's boring and lame, so as you said, it's irrelevant.

You are lazy, if you say that you want to play some games, but when you think that you have to install them you just find something else to do.

About the topic, older games maybe, but newer highly compressed, with lots of HD vids, sounds, gbs of textures, games, are no doubt useless if played directly from the disc, now why would Xbox want to install the games on the HDD? oh, yeah, I forgot, performance. It's sad, but soon you won't play games at all because even the consoles will soon have games that need to install on the HDD. Xbox already started with a few, it's up to sony now.
SIN55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SIN55
[QUOTE="SIN55"]

[QUOTE="ElectricNZ"]Sounds like you're just lazy...DanielDust

Games are for fun and to realx, :| not all people play games because they are lazy, in fact almost none, when you are lazy, playing games is not fun, it's boring and lame, so as you said, it's irrelevant.

You are lazy, if you say that you want to play some games, but when you think that you have to install them you just find something else to do.

About the topic, older games maybe, but newer highly compressed, with lots of HD vids, sounds, gbs of textures, games, are no doubt useless if played directly from the disc, now why would Xbox want to install the games on the HDD? oh, yeah, I forgot, performance. It's sad, but soon you won't play games at all because even the consoles will soon have games that need to install on the HDD. Xbox already started with a few, it's up to sony now.

Jeez... no need to come off as rude there, pal. I'm not some 300 lbs teenager who games all day long and wears World of Warcraft t-shirts or anything.... I'm a casual gamer enquiring about ways to make PC gaming a little simpler and lighter for the PC. Anyway, I've already admitted defeat, no need to kick a dead horse.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Big HDD's are really inexpensive in this day in age. You can get a 500GB HDD for dirt cheap. If you use up all that space, then you got a problem. I have a 150GB raptor X and I'm still good on space. Besides, if you have a gaming PC, what's the price tag of a cheap HDD going to do to ya? The games cost nearly as much.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jade_Monkey

Big HDD's are really inexpensive in this day in age. You can get a 500GB HDD for dirt cheap. If you use up all that space, then you got a problem. I have a 150GB raptor X and I'm still good on space. Besides, if you have a gaming PC, what's the price tag of a cheap HDD going to do to ya? The games cost nearly as much. Elann2008

I am running out of space on my 500GB, but I own over 200 games and like to have them all installed at the same time when I can. I have a terabyte hard drive on order right now.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
It's much slower to play it directly from the disc.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jade_Monkey

It's much slower to play it directly from the disc.chrisrooR

Yeah the only advantage to play directly to disk is that your console can save space on it's hard drive if it has one. I don't understand how so many users get so angry over having to install something once if it will give them faster load times eery single time they play it. If console manufacturers would man up and give larger hard drives with their systems this wouldn't be as big of an issue. As for PCs, I never, ever want to see a game run from the disc and not my drive. I will tolerate having to have the disc in the drive as a security measure but that is it. I don't shell out the amount of money I do on my PC for slow load times.

succulent_toes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 succulent_toes
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts

I don't mind slower load times, if it can save me the gigs and gigs of space on my HDD. Consoles aren't doing that bad in load times.

SIN55

When you can buy a TB hard drive for $100, you tend not to care about saving gigs and gigs of space. But when a 120 GB hard drive costs $140, you care a bit more. Plus, I can install like 6 or more hard drives, if I really wanted to, but you're very much limited on the 360 as to how much space is available to you.

I like your avatar, btw. Spaceballs, ftw!!!

Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts

The idea is good, if we had the proper material to make it perform just like it is today's standards on a normal installed game.

I think somewhere, at some given time, someone or a group of people working in the PC gaming industry come up with that idea, but they managed to see it wouldn't work, at least for now

The idea of having this option, for those who want it, just like someone else here said, its even better .After all, one more option to how you can play your game isn't that bad

Personally, I would never do it

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

As long as games come on disks, it's not really worthwhile going to a 'tray and play' model, due to the performance issues highlighted.

If, however, games moved over to another medium, like a flash stick, then with the new performance increases in data throughput with the incoming standards (like USB 3.0), it might be more viable. But of course that would increase the production cost of the game which would pass onto the end gamer.

Besides, the gaming industry is largely shifting to an online model at the moment, and I'm sure that as broadband speeds increase they will try to start 'streaming' games over the net without installing a great deal on your PC. Eventually you'll probably just log in to a remote server to play all your games, and the developer won't have to distribute all of the game code on a disk, which will help to reduce piracy.

Consoles too are heading in that direction requiring broadband connections and offering DLC.