This topic is locked from further discussion.

rando22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 rando22
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts

Ok so, I'm lookin for a good MMORPG problem is I'm havin a hard time choosing which one to go for. I have kinda narrowed down the list to a few games excluding WOW(bcuz I knw half of the world, their dogs, and grandmas play it). I don't mind paying a monthly fee but I want something with good content. Also the graphics have to be more than half decent, I just built an Intel Core i7, 3GB RAM, NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB Video Card. The machine's a beast, so it'd be nice to push it to the limits, lol. But graphics aren't that important as long as the game has me keep comin for more. And there has to be more gameplay than goin out and grinding for hours for some Gs just to buy the next best piece of armor. These games are in no particular order but I'm leaning more to either LOTR Online or Star Wars, idk y just looks unique I guess.

K so the games I'm considering are.....(drum roll plz, lol)

1. Conan: The Hyborian Adventures (The gore and being able to activley place your attacks looks pretty sweet)

2. LOTR Online (Pretty big fan of the LOTR lore and I hear the graphics are good too!)

3. Star Wars Galaxies the Complete Online Adventures (Like the thought of huge worlds with being able to customize my own ship)

4. Guild Wars (Ummmm no monthly fee is nice but looks like every other no monthly fee game out there)

5. Final Fantasy XI (Big fan of all the Final Fantasy games)

6. City of Heroes/Villians (Idk maybe its the capes)

When or if you post your suggestion plz give me a reason for your suggestion, I like the players view of the game. Also if you have any other game suggestions plz post them.

Thanks in advance.:D

rando22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 rando22
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts

Oh I almost forgot.

Please, no flame war.

jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts
i have Guild Wars and its pretty good, right now though im trying Anarchy Online. Wow, that game is so confusing
myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts

If you want something like WOW go with LOTRO. It's extremely well polished with a nice community. City of Heroes is nice too, but I haven't played it in years so I can't comment on it too much.

FF XI was just an XPgrind fest last I played. I loved the class system it used and wish other MMOs would implement something like it,but it was monotonous otherwise.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

LotRO is a very traditional MMORPG but it really does integrate the story and the lore of Middle Earth into the game really well. There also isn't a lot of pointless grinding so it never feels like a second job. The graphics are really nice too and, for the most part, the community is friendly and mature. Good game.

City of Heroes is less traditional. Loot is kind of weird and the crafting is a bit different than the typical MMORPG but it has the best combat and character customization of ANY MMORPG. They also just added an update that allows players to create their own missions and story arcs to share with the community. It's a really cool feature if you like creating your own stories. Good game.

SWG was great but that was about two years ago or so. Sadly, SONY and LA ruined the game by turning it into another level based EQ clone. /yawn

Guild Wars is a good game and it's pretty fun but I always felt like there was something missing. It's free though so I didn't complain too much and I had a good time (for the most part) while I played. I still go back and roam around every now and then.

Age of Conan I couldn't get into. I don't know why but I never connected with the game. I recently tried the 14 day trial and after about a week or so I uninstalled the game because it just wasn't for me.

Final Fantasy never appealed to me in the slightest so I can't say anything about it. It's one of the few MMORPG's I never tried.

I think most of these games offer free trials so you may want to give that a go and test drive before you buy. EQ2 is also a pretty good game and you may want to consider that too. Good luck in choosing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
deactivated-5f9ba38f308de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
Member since 2005 • 1468 Posts

GW is a great game! But it feels like it's too late to join the community. Many of the places are dead, now, and it won't be much fun without people.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

Definitely try FFXI, its by far my favorite MMO, and they do such a good job with this game. No other game has such a fun, helpful and pleasent community. Its very in depth with lots and lots to do.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates the tedium of those games. You can meet new friends in towns or outposts, form a party, and then go tackle a quest together. Your party always has its own unique copy of the quest map, so camping, kill-stealing, and long lines to complete quests are all things of the past. Within a quest you have unprecedented freedom and power to manipulate the world around you: your magic can build bridges and open up new pathways, or it can burn down forests and tear the ground asunder. You don't have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning. You don't have to spend hours running around the world to prepare for a quest, because Guild Wars allows you to instantly travel to the beginning of any quest that you've previously unlocked. You'll never spend days playing only to discover that choices you made early on have left you with a permanently uncompetitive character, because the unique skill system in Guild Wars allows infinite experimentation but doesn't allow bad decisions to ruin a character. And you'll never meet new players only to discover that you can't play with them or compete against them because their characters are on a different server than yours; in Guild Wars, all characters live in one seamless world.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates the tedium of those games. You can meet new friends in towns or outposts, form a party, and then go tackle a quest together. Your party always has its own unique copy of the quest map, so camping, kill-stealing, and long lines to complete quests are all things of the past. Within a quest you have unprecedented freedom and power to manipulate the world around you: your magic can build bridges and open up new pathways, or it can burn down forests and tear the ground asunder. You don't have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning. You don't have to spend hours running around the world to prepare for a quest, because Guild Wars allows you to instantly travel to the beginning of any quest that you've previously unlocked. You'll never spend days playing only to discover that choices you made early on have left you with a permanently uncompetitive character, because the unique skill system in Guild Wars allows infinite experimentation but doesn't allow bad decisions to ruin a character. And you'll never meet new players only to discover that you can't play with them or compete against them because their characters are on a different server than yours; in Guild Wars, all characters live in one seamless world.

GPAddict

Good PR there. Nevertheless, Guild Wars almost always puts me to sleep at the keyboard. Guild Wars essentially can be compared to a good night story, packaged with all the elements of today's mmo for a knock em sock em nighty night, lol...

Edit: I feel so human, my powers.. where.. where have their gone? I'm losing the Force in the barest of my hands...

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#10 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I didn't know Guild Wars became an MMO. Maybe I'll check it out again now that it's a real MMO.

Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

Guildwars is alright, but mainly for pvp. I've been going back and really enjoying the pvp until the DLC for L4D comes out next week.

Age of Conan has had a lot of the devs leave and I'm surprised its not shut down yet, read about it all on G4 news. Also they reverted the npc models in the game I heard on wiki so no more pixlated boobs dude! D:

As for the other games I couldn't tell you, I don't play MMOs.

ThomasMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 ThomasMaster
Member since 2005 • 205 Posts

Guild Wars was my favourite but now the game is dead. Players stopped playing and are waiting for Guild Wars 2.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GPAddict

[QUOTE="GPAddict"]

OoSuperMarioO

Good PR there. Nevertheless, Guild Wars almost always puts me to sleep at the keyboard. Guild Wars essentially can be compared to a good night story, packaged with all the elements of today's mmo for a knock em sock em nighty night, lol...

Edit: I feel so human, my powers.. where.. where have their gone? I'm losing the Force in the barest of my hands...

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Just like my opinion is that I much rather play Guild Wars than any other MMO. But hey, we cant all be like the 11 million strong, now can we?

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

[QUOTE="GPAddict"]

GPAddict

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Just like my opinion is that I much rather play Guild Wars than any other MMO. But hey, we cant all be like the 11 million strong, now can we?

When did Guild Wars became a MMO? lol...

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GPAddict

[QUOTE="GPAddict"]

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]Good PR there. Nevertheless, Guild Wars almost always puts me to sleep at the keyboard. Guild Wars essentially can be compared to a good night story, packaged with all the elements of today's mmo for a knock em sock em nighty night, lol...

OoSuperMarioO

WoW (not the game)!

He listed GW in his list. Did I say GW was an MMO, no I didn't. I clearly said I would rather play GW than any other MMO. Simple English.

And really the fact that GW is or isn't an MMO really that big of a deal?

Hey look, what do you know its featured here on www.MMORPG.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82

But who cares, whether its fun or not is what matters. Jeez. And say what you will about Guild Wars, but the general consensus from Gamespot and many other gaming websites, is that Guild Wars can be a very respectable and rewarding game, if not a great gaming experience. It has been for me and continues to be when I play with my Guild or the game in general.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OoSuperMarioO

Rando almost all those games you listed have free trials/demos. I recommend that's the ideal way to go to find the game that suits you efficiently bud.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

[QUOTE="GPAddict"]

GPAddict

WoW (not the game)!

He listed GW in his list. Did I say GW was an MMO, no I didn't. I clearly said I would rather play GW than any other MMO. Simple English.

And really the fact that GW is or isn't an MMO really that big of a deal?

Hey look, what do you know its featured here on www.MMORPG.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/82

But who cares, whether its fun or not is what matters. Jeez. And say what you will about Guild Wars, but the general consensus from Gamespot and many other gaming websites, is that Guild Warscan bevery respectable and rewarding game, if not a great gaming experience. It has been for me and continues to be when I play with my Guild or the game in general.

Personally, Guild Wars is rubbish and was a waste of hard earn cash.

Edit: Time to get off the boards before I get into trouble. We'll meet again!!

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

As a former WoW and GW player i am now playing Lotro and prefer it over the two. Visually and musically the game is above all the best. Also there isnt any other mmorpg that ive played that integrates story so well. The game is very casual and it doesnt make you feel like you have to rush to the end-game content. Also an above poster was right in that it doesnt feel like a grindfest.

I love the mistrel healing also. Playing mad riffs on my lute to help allies are damage foes lol.