The Addiction To World Of Warcraft...

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

qpYoungonEqp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 qpYoungonEqp
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Yea, so, i was told by alot of people that WoW is a really fun game and most of my friends with computers play it alot. none of them never told me it was addicting.. until i went to buy it when the cashier manager told me. "You shouldnt buy this game, you'll seriously get addicted" but i buy it anyways.... its downloading right now at the moment.... (a lil slow)

But i just wanted to talk about why the game is so addicting to people? if it is...

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
It was boaring for me, but that's only because ive played alot of MMOs...basicly, WoW and other MMOs are addicting because leveling up (or doing activities) is fun in order to achieve respect from other players or satisfaction for yourself. Thus, in MMOs...there ALOT of that kinda stuff going on.
xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
yes its addictive
Solidus171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solidus171
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts

I will tell you exactly why it's addictive, because I played it and know why. WoW taps into the psychological part of our brain that wants us to reward ourselves. When you get paid at work, you don't necessarily get enjoyment out of the cash, so you spend it on something else and gain utility from it - say a coat or trousers, perhaps a TV, NOT food because thats a required commodity, I'm talking about recreational things.

In World of Warcraft, the same thing happens with gear. You invest many hours into this game because of a psychological drive to better yourself - Mazlow's hierachy, Self Fulfilment right at the top. You want to be the best you can be. The issue is that this cannot happen in real life unless you really work at it, but in WoW it's fairly easy to achieve. You gain nice looking gear, your character looks fleshed out and you highly enjoy playing him, you get utility from playing the game.

This is where the addiction kicks in - WoW never ends, the gear just gets better and better (with expansions + content) and it never stops coming, and if you allow yourself to get caught by investing too many straight hours, you will push yourself to better your character more and more. This is where the raiding, grinding and time sinks appear because you want to achieve the top. Of course it never happens because WoW is effectively the search for the Holy Grail - it's a concept, the long, endless road to perfection but what you get in the end differs from person to person. In WoW this can either be enjoyment by playing with friends or by bettering yourself with gear. Either way, the game supposedly rewards you, and that makes you want more and more.

bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
Should have got warhammer instead the game is great and doesnt give you the must stay on to grind to better my character feel, you can PVP and public quest right from the start you can have fun, with wow it's super boring until your 70+ and wasted hours and hours of game time you could spend on other games, ive seen friends go from gamers to just WOW players it's a bloody disgrace
w0lfbreeder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 w0lfbreeder
Member since 2007 • 426 Posts
it really depends. if you play on the same server as your friends it will be highly addicting. but if you're all alone w/ no friends you'll get bored pretty quick. just because if your friends are a higher level thanyou you will want to get all the stuff they have and never wanna quit playing.
qpYoungonEqp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 qpYoungonEqp
NOW THAT MAKES ALOT OF SENSE! lol well done.... and i just got done downloading it... took about 5 hours! that must mean the games BIG!.. thnx for the tip. hopefully i dont get TO addicted
blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
Its only addicting if you let it become addicting. If your friends want to hang out and you pick WoW over them then you are addicted. Try not to do that gl :). I hate WoW though tbh lol I think its lame and way overhyped I don't find it that great but w/e enjoy.
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

well if u have doubts to it saddictiveness they have there own WoW anonymous online. you can google this seriously and you will find it. so yeah id avoid if u want avoid becoming like ppl who play evercrack (everquest). and its not a very good game its flaws have no excuse and everything u do is rather meaningless unless u count self-motivated.

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts
Addiction my *ss. I bet the next thing were gonna hear is the AA "i have disease" story. No my friend, i dont think its addicting at all. Iv been a gamer for twenty years now and im still doing fine on my university degree and i maintain a side job...IF i had an addiction i wouldnt be able to do that. (Like if i where an alchoholic or a heroin addict.)
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Well for one the game pretty much never ends.. And a lot of people play to win.. Well good luck with that..
sammyt555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sammyt555
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts
remember that south park episode where randy gets addicted to a video game because he just kept chasing that dragon, but you never get it? WoW is like that. its a carrot on a stick game. You keep playing because its fun and the more you play the stronger you get, i.e, the more fun it gets. But, in a game like WoW, there is no limit to how strong you can get becauase even if you get all the best gear in the game (which only serously hardcore people get, like 50 hours a week), soon it will be obselete. so you keep playing.
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts
i feel like im getting addicted just over xmas break, with so much time. and especially when you play in pvp, you are always striving for the best gear to get either the best dps or healing abilities. i am playing a lv 29 rogue. and playing the pvp games gives you an incentive to use those honor points on really good weapons. so it is an never ending cycle. im cancelling my wow subscription before i get too addicted. im gonna try out warhammer cause it has better pvp and looks easier to play cause when u enter pvp and lets say your lv 2, your stats will get boosted to like lv 8 but u still have the same spell abilities. so it gives you some kind of chance to fight without getting extremely hard gear to buy or something that consumes my life. plus it just came out not long ago so its not as huge of a world yet as WOW is.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58463 Posts

The addiction stems from three sources imo

1. Gear addicts. These people want the best gear, period. If an item is really good, has a .01% chance of dropping off a boss in a dungeon that takes four hours to finish, they will do it every day until it drops.

2. "Winners". These people play to win, and like someone before said, there is no way to really win this game. It just keeps going and going. Now Blizzard even added acheivements, so there is another thing to "win" on and people will spend days exploring all the zones theyve already been to just to get an achevement unlocked.

3. Bad social life. Some people just dont go out a lot, and WoW is a way to have a social life of sorts without real human contact. This is made worse due to the large player base WoW has, and as a result you can find hundreds, if not thousands, of people just like you who dont want to go out in real life, yet are perfectly happy spending six hours a day doing stuff in WoW. I wouldnt call this an addicition so much as a dependency.

With that said, here are some tips Ive learned from playing for over four years on how to not get addicted

1. Do not lust after gear. Good gear is easy to get. But the gap between good gear and amazing gear is huge. So while you might invest a Saturday morning or two to get pretty good gear, it will take you weeks of 4+ hour days to get great gear. In short, there is a diminishing return on your time to get great gear. So just dont even bother.

2. Take your time. There is an incredible amount of lore, plot, history, etc in World of Warcraft. So read the quest descriptions, listen to the NPCs, and enjoy your time. WoW is easy to level enough as it is, so if you play casually and take in everything you can still be level 60 within a couple months.

3. Do not powerlevel. This goes in line with point 2, but its worth stating again. Do not grind mobs mindlessly in a vain attempt to reach level 60 within a week. Its just not worth it.

4. Every few months, take a break. I usually take mine during the summer, when there is lots to do outside and the girls are dressing down. One month, two months...it doesnt matter, just freeze your account (dont worry, your characters dont get deleted) and go outside.

Like I said, it took me a couple years to appreciate WoW as a good, casual game. Ive stumbled close to the addiction line myself a couple times, and even now I have been spending a bit too much time with (new expansion) so I have cancelled my subscription for a few months. That brings me to my final point: if you feel like youre spending too much time, you problably are. Step back, reassess your priorities, and move on.

Remember, real life > WoW

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Yea, so, i was told by alot of people that WoW is a really fun game and most of my friends with computers play it alot. none of them never told me it was addicting.. until i went to buy it when the cashier manager told me. "You shouldnt buy this game, you'll seriously get addicted" but i buy it anyways.... its downloading right now at the moment.... (a lil slow)

But i just wanted to talk about why the game is so addicting to people? if it is...

qpYoungonEqp

Not that you're a liar... ok, yes you are. No Cashier manager is going to disuade you from buying something from their store.

qpYoungonEqp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 qpYoungonEqp
I acually knew the guy, so yea dont jusge me and say im a liar smart one. He's my best friend's brother. and he works at Gamestop. That explain alot to u? >.>
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
if you get addicted it means your having fun:)
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Ok, look at my Xfire's top 1 game and then read this part: "WoW sucks total ass, it's not a game it's just an activity for a mindless drone and I had to find out the hard way!"
qpYoungonEqp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 qpYoungonEqp
Hmm.... I've played it, and its acually not to bad so far! acually fun! how come it sucks to everyone?
qpYoungonEqp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 qpYoungonEqp

I dont think the game is acually addicting....

I think the reason why people stay on so long is because they only get 1 - 2 months of play time (until they get another Pre-paid card) and im guessing that they dont want to waste that time maybe, so the players stay on and try not to waste time on it and get as much done as they can.

tradward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tradward
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts
[QUOTE="qpYoungonEqp"]

Johnny_Rock

Not that you're a liar... ok, yes you are. No Cashier manager is going to disuade you from buying something from their store.

another brainless post. seems one person here is most detached from reality than the rest of us.

it's called humanity u dh. look it up.

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

That cashier sounds like he should learn to mind his own business. I hate when one tries to recommend something else or give you advice when you really don't want any.

But anyways, I personally don't think it's that addicting. I never was "addicted" to it when I used to play it, I'd even go a week or two without playing sometimes. It's just not that interesting when there are so many other games to play, plus that 15 dollars a month is kind of a pain if I'm trying to save up for something else.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="ShotGunBunny"]Ok, look at my Xfire's top 1 game and then read this part: "WoW sucks total ass, it's not a game it's just an activity for a mindless drone and I had to find out the hard way!"

you just grew bored with the game thats all:roll:
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#24 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I always laugh at people who say you can get addicted to it. I am sure you can, but why would you let it? I played the game sense 2004 when it was released. I was not addicted to the game but it was an awesome game. Personally, now I don't like it. It was a lot better back in the day when you actually had to WORK for your gear.
HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts
Hmm.... I've played it, and its acually not to bad so far! acually fun! how come it sucks to everyone?qpYoungonEqp
I can't speak for everyone, but my personal opinion on why the game really isn't that great is that it's just WAY too repetitive. Not to mention far too easy/simple for me.
ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts
Actually sounds like reverse psychology to me..your wondering weather a game is fun and the guy tells you you'll get addicted so in your mind you think."This may be a really fun game." hard to tell what He mean't
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Any MMO, or game for that matter, can take up a lot of your time if you let them. Of course, if that's what you like to do with your free time, then by all means enjoy yourself. Just be sure to take care of yourself, and not abandon your regular life priorities for WOW, or any other game.

The only reason why this issue has become so prevalent with WOW, and not other MMOs, is simply because of its popularity and meshing of hardcore and casual gamers. And the game has a **** of quests, I mean they like never end. But you can play for hours on end or in small bursts, that's really up to you.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Johnny_Rock

I acually knew the guy, so yea dont jusge me and say im a liar smart one. He's my best friend's brother. and he works at Gamestop. That explain alot to u? >.>qpYoungonEqp

Sure does. That you have a lie to back up your other lie. If he was your friend, you would have said so in the first post instead of referring to him as "a cashier".

Fail.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Johnny_Rock
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"][QUOTE="qpYoungonEqp"]

tradward

another brainless post. seems one person here is most detached from reality than the rest of us.

it's called humanity u dh. look it up.

What???

iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts
just watch the episode on south park about WoW that totally put me off the game lol but getting to the point i got up to lvl 18 but just stoped playing because my free 15 day pass ended. But from what i herd once you reach lvl 60 or 70 that's when the addiction part starts
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Johnny_Rock

just watch the episode on south park about WoW that totally put me off the game lol but getting to the point i got up to lvl 18 but just stoped playing because my free 15 day pass ended. But from what i herd once you reach lvl 60 or 70 that's when the addiction part starts iki080

Actually the quests in Northrend (68-80) are some of the best in the game.

Solidus171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Solidus171

[QUOTE="iki080"]just watch the episode on south park about WoW that totally put me off the game lol but getting to the point i got up to lvl 18 but just stoped playing because my free 15 day pass ended. But from what i herd once you reach lvl 60 or 70 that's when the addiction part starts Johnny_Rock

It's a shame then that once you hit 80, the quests end and you are back to grinding gear and/or money. If WoW gave you the ability to level up ANY character (not just DK's) from a starting level of 55, I would probably play it. Because lore wise I would adore a paladin, but grinding from 1 to 80 will take months and THAT is why people get hooked. You don't like being low level, so you invest more and more time to gain the levels quicker and it's a horrendous time sink. But once you hit 80, nothing changes, it's just money or gear grinding instead of level grinding, and the time you invest in the game remains constant to what you're used to (12 hours a day minimum? perhaps).

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Johnny_Rock
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="iki080"]just watch the episode on south park about WoW that totally put me off the game lol but getting to the point i got up to lvl 18 but just stoped playing because my free 15 day pass ended. But from what i herd once you reach lvl 60 or 70 that's when the addiction part starts Solidus171

It's a shame then that once you hit 80, the quests end and you are back to grinding gear and/or money. If WoW gave you the ability to level up ANY character (not just DK's) from a starting level of 55, I would probably play it. Because lore wise I would adore a paladin, but grinding from 1 to 80 will take months and THAT is why people get hooked. You don't like being low level, so you invest more and more time to gain the levels quicker and it's a horrendous time sink. But once you hit 80, nothing changes, it's just money or gear grinding instead of level grinding, and the time you invest in the game remains constant to what you're used to (12 hours a day minimum? perhaps).

I never got caught in the "addiction" mainly due to the fact that I have children which limits my time in game. My highest level character is a 73 Warrior that I started when the game first launched. But people that do have loads of time, that I know personally, do get lost in it... very easily.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fnevaeva
[QUOTE="qpYoungonEqp"]Hmm.... I've played it, and its acually not to bad so far! acually fun! how come it sucks to everyone?HondaSnake
I can't speak for everyone, but my personal opinion on why the game really isn't that great is that it's just WAY too repetitive. Not to mention far too easy/simple for me.

agreed, its ultra repetitive
fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fnevaeva
just watch the episode on south park about WoW that totally put me off the game lol but getting to the point i got up to lvl 18 but just stoped playing because my free 15 day pass ended. But from what i herd once you reach lvl 60 or 70 that's when the addiction part starts iki080
or lv 30 cause thats when you get your mount. and pvp can be really addicting.
Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts
Solidus pretty much explained gear addicts and mrbojangles explained all the other addicts. I never found WoW more addicting than any other game. However, the blatant time sinks disgusted me. So did Blizzard's effort to milk this franchise dry. I've stopped playing for a while, but I may go back sometime.
qpYoungonEqp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 qpYoungonEqp
Johnny_Rock, why do u have to come into forums and try to make a point about it? i just asked one simple question of advice and u have to turn it into some huge argument
Kail_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kail_Reborn
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Should have got warhammer instead the game is great and doesnt give you the must stay on to grind to better my character feel, you can PVP and public quest right from the start you can have fun, with wow it's super boring until your 70+ and wasted hours and hours of game time you could spend on other games, ive seen friends go from gamers to just WOW players it's a bloody disgracebigLLL

I agree with this guy. I used to have a friend who was an Xbox 360 gamer, and was well respected. Then he bought WOW, ditched his 360, and now he's a complete social reject who nobody really cares for anymore, because all he ever does is play that same bloody game.

jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jmnderson69
Member since 2008 • 1236 Posts
Delete your character and account and play a real game...problem solved.
Kail_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kail_Reborn
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Delete your character and account and play a real game...problem solved.jmnderson69

Lol, nice one.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

1. Gear addicts. These people want the best gear, period. If an item is really good, has a .01% chance of dropping off a boss in a dungeon that takes four hours to finish, they will do it every day until it drops.

2. "Winners". These people play to win, and like someone before said, there is no way to really win this game. It just keeps going and going. Now Blizzard even added acheivements, so there is another thing to "win" on and people will spend days exploring all the zones theyve already been to just to get an achevement unlocked.

3. Bad social life. Some people just dont go out a lot, and WoW is a way to have a social life of sorts without real human contact. This is made worse due to the large player base WoW has, and as a result you can find hundreds, if not thousands, of people just like you who dont want to go out in real life, yet are perfectly happy spending six hours a day doing stuff in WoW. I wouldnt call this an addicition so much as a dependency.

With that said, here are some tips Ive learned from playing for over four years on how to not get addicted

1. Do not lust after gear. Good gear is easy to get. But the gap between good gear and amazing gear is huge. So while you might invest a Saturday morning or two to get pretty good gear, it will take you weeks of 4+ hour days to get great gear. In short, there is a diminishing return on your time to get great gear. So just dont even bother.

2. Take your time. There is an incredible amount of lore, plot, history, etc in World of Warcraft. So read the quest descriptions, listen to the NPCs, and enjoy your time. WoW is easy to level enough as it is, so if you play casually and take in everything you can still be level 60 within a couple months.

3. Do not powerlevel. This goes in line with point 2, but its worth stating again. Do not grind mobs mindlessly in a vain attempt to reach level 60 within a week. Its just not worth it.

4. Every few months, take a break. I usually take mine during the summer, when there is lots to do outside and the girls are dressing down. One month, two months...it doesnt matter, just freeze your account (dont worry, your characters dont get deleted) and go outside.

Like I said, it took me a couple years to appreciate WoW as a good, casual game. Ive stumbled close to the addiction line myself a couple times, and even now I have been spending a bit too much time with (new expansion) so I have cancelled my subscription for a few months. That brings me to my final point: if you feel like youre spending too much time, you problably are. Step back, reassess your priorities, and move on.

mrbojangles25

quoted for absolute truth.

i would say play it, but don't let it run your life depend on it. only play it casually and you will get a MUCH better experience

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aura_enchanted
u see id make some amzing profound comment to disuade but i see its already happened. try your damndest to follow the above or u risk losing real life. if not private message me here and ill send u a 52 page essay on the topic of "WoW addictive not innovative".
HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts

[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]Delete your character and account and play a real game...problem solved.Kail_Reborn

Lol, nice one.

+1 on this.
Solidus171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Solidus171
[QUOTE="Kail_Reborn"]

[QUOTE="jmnderson69"]Delete your character and account and play a real game...problem solved.HondaSnake

Lol, nice one.

+1 on this.

Definately. There are some absolutely incredible games you can find (The Witcher: EE). Why waste your opportunity playing them by playing the most average game of all time?

Wolf-Chief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wolf-Chief
Member since 2008 • 2894 Posts
the game is addicting because its got a very good story that never ends,an addicting gameplay and with all those rase's and heroes and magic makes the game one of the most addicting games ever.and like the others said the game never ends.but if you play it alone all the time it will get boring very quickly but not if you play the campaign because there is something to keep you amused.
Wolf-Chief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wolf-Chief
Member since 2008 • 2894 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

shakmaster13

quoted for absolute truth.

i would say play it, but don't let it run your life depend on it. only play it casually and you will get a MUCH better experience

you're right dont ever let your life depend on games.i heard a guy was playing this game for like three months online and when he lost he threw him self of the bridge and,well he died.

redneckdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 redneckdouglas
Member since 2005 • 2977 Posts
Like all MMORPG, it gets really boring and repetitive. PVP is lame because it's another Equipment vs Equipment game (except Guild Wars). I have retired from this genre since 2006 and am proud of it.
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 aura_enchanted
okay i move that the online community relist WoW to a massively multiplayer game as it does not give u a role to play as there is no story to it that isnt blatantly apparent. the only story u find for it is backstory written by ppl who ran out of stuff to do in the game and began documenting why exactly u have to do stuff and why it has to be there and not say in another area. that being said why call it a game when all of its stuff that it gives you to do is completely ignoreable and pointless because as stated already it has no story therefore no reason for anything and lacks any reason otherwise to do the quests/raid/dungeons/pvp excluding self motivation. which as stated is either very addictive or a big turnoff. WoW belong with second life and habo hotel. its nothing but a chat room feat.stuff to do other than talk and move around. and if u doubt this really think on it. other than the opening cutscenes is there any story other than those that one doesnt have to spend hours looking for?
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

mrbojangles25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA

HighNMitey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HighNMitey
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts

It is fun and rewarding. It is like a Sims that you don't get sick of so fast.