Supreme Commander 8.7 Gamespot Review !

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave22768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 dave22768
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Just a heads up for those who haven't played the demo and think it will run on older computers; I've got the demo and am running it on an athlon 64 3000 @ 1.98 gHz, 1gb ram, 6600gt, and vista, and it has frame rate issues on the lowest settings.  Its fine near the beginning of a game, but the further you get, and especially near the end, as you get more units, its starts to lag, and this is on the relatively small skirmish map that's included in the demo against one ai.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts
Just a heads up for those who haven't played the demo and think it will run on older computers; I've got the demo and am running it on an athlon 64 3000 @ 1.98 gHz, 1gb ram, 6600gt, and vista, and it has frame rate issues on the lowest settings. Its fine near the beginning of a game, but the further you get, and especially near the end, as you get more units, its starts to lag, and this is on the relatively small skirmish map that's included in the demo against one ai.dave22768

Thats why the review says "large battles can bring the most powerful systems to their knees."
SunnySimantov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 SunnySimantov
Member since 2005 • 784 Posts

Steep hardware requirements? I have a 4 year old CPU, a 2 year old graphics card, and 2gb of RAM (3.6ghz P4, 7800GT) and I run it at medium-high settings with no problem. The sound's lovely as well. Underscored.Sketchbaz

Man don't you even dare thinking your system is "underpowered" for one second. You have a very good CPU (way above req's) and the GPU is, maybe not the best out but it's definately an excellent one, with great performance on every game.

You can't say the requirements aren't steep with a computer like yours.

3SecondGrenade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 3SecondGrenade
Member since 2002 • 1073 Posts
Just a heads up for those who haven't played the demo and think it will run on older computers; I've got the demo and am running it on an athlon 64 3000 @ 1.98 gHz, 1gb ram, 6600gt, and vista, and it has frame rate issues on the lowest settings. Its fine near the beginning of a game, but the further you get, and especially near the end, as you get more units, its starts to lag, and this is on the relatively small skirmish map that's included in the demo against one ai.dave22768

Actually, I have dual 3.2 Ghz pentium 4s, 1 gig of RAM and an ATI Radeon 9800 and don't have any framerate issues on the lowest settings. It seems the performance widely varies from computer to computer, even amongst computers with similar hardware, so I'm thinking it's more of a software problem on the player's side.
Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

Actually his CPU is weak compared to a vast amount of other CPUs availible. just because its 3.6ghz doesnt make it good. SupCom almost requires a dual core as well.

The main things you need for this game are a FAST cpu and a lot of ram. You dont need anything more than decent in the video card area.

SunnySimantov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 SunnySimantov
Member since 2005 • 784 Posts

Steep hardware requirements should be taken into consideration.

If some people can't run a game the way it's supposed to be just because they can't spend a couple more hundreads of bucks for their system, it means it has a shortcoming. The ultimate game is a game that appeals to everyone, and if some are 'discriminated' for their systems, the game doesn't appeal to the whole gaming market (or even the genre market) and thus can't be rated as the same game that runs perfectly on all systems.
You simply can't say "this game rocks and if you can't run this game it's your problem." The problem is with the developer, denying the customer from enjoying the product. And I'm not saying requirements should be like P1 CPUs and Geforce 4 cards, but atleast make the graphics level go way down for the matching people. It won't be the same graphic-expereience, but the gameplay expereience will be the same.

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 basersx
Video card makes a BIG difference for all but low settings!

That is really crappy. The game is barly playable in 1280x1024 in medium with a 7900GS!

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=617 
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

Supreme Commander = Total Annihilation (but with a different name)

I mean, be honest: any of you TA veterans out there, you know how this game is 99% identical to TA.  Thats not a bad thing, but this game is hardly innovative or "revolutionary."  The only different thing about it is the resource collection and army and map sizes (but all three of those were the meat and potatoes of TA)

Mohamed_h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Mohamed_h
Member since 2004 • 1536 Posts

I tried the demo .. I think it's an oridnary RTS with larger maps and different units , nothing more .

Also the graphics doesn't look that amazing .. it has the same quality of C&C Generals graphics in terms of Model details and textures quality .. the only difference is using SM2 to render the terrain and water in case of Sup Commander !

ElendilElessar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60 ElendilElessar
Member since 2006 • 842 Posts

why the heck does people think 8+ is a bad mark! What, it flops because it got a 8.7, that doesn't make any sense, how the hell is 8.7 a bad score!

"Well, yet another example of gamespot dropping a pc games score for a silly reason. I no longer read their reviews because of this. Oh and by the way c&c will score about 7 or 8 on the pc on gamespot but i bet the 360 version gets over 9. Buy one of the many pc game mags for a real review that isn't done by console loving, pc bashing idiots. Why not review the games on a high spec system then using a grading system, 1 being a low spec and 5 being high, give the game a grade. This will let people know the system requirements without affecting the score. "

Just tell me, why are you assuming things, the game isn't out yet and you predicted that it will get 7 or 8 on gamespot? thats just ridculous. Stop betting, you will lose! They are NOT bashing anything. Theres already a feature, that tells you the system requirements of this game or go to the gamespace and click on tech info, heck why not go to the review and click on review guidelines! So if the score will change into grades, then 8.7 will get an "A", that means its excellent not a flop score or some crazy assumations!

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 basersx

why the heck does people think 8+ is a bad mark! What, it flops because it got a 8.7, that doesn't make any sense, how the hell is 8.7 a bad score!

ElendilElessar

I agree, if you don't think 8.7 is good enough you are crazy!  9.0 or higher is usually reserved for games like Far Cry, Half Life, FEAR, etc. because they are mega hits that people will still want to play years from now.  Supreme Commander is no Half Life, its not even a CoH!
3SecondGrenade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 3SecondGrenade

Supreme Commander is no Half Life, its not even a CoH!
basersx

Coming from someone who can't be bothered to even try the demo, those are pretty childish words.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 basersx
[QUOTE="basersx"]
3SecondGrenade

Coming from someone who can't be bothered to even try the demo, those are pretty childish words.

Start a poll and ask people if they think Supreme Commander should have gotten a higher score than CoH and see what results you get.  You are obviously a SC fan boy.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
[QUOTE="ElendilElessar"]

basersx

I agree, if you don't think 8.7 is good enough you are crazy!  9.0 or higher is usually reserved for games like Far Cry, Half Life, FEAR, etc. because they are mega hits that people will still want to play years from now.  Supreme Commander is no Half Life, its not even a CoH!

Totally agree. 8.7 is "Great". I never knew how bad great could be until I joined gamespot.
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts

That is really crappy. The game is barly playable in 1280x1024 in medium with a 7900GS!

basersx

well thats odd...i have a 7900gs and i run it in med-high at 1680x1050. and it is no where near unplayable :|

Sketchbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 Sketchbaz
Member since 2007 • 306 Posts
Video card makes a BIG difference for all but low settings!

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=617
basersx
That will take into account shadows. Turn the shadows off and your FPS jumps a lovely amount.
jazilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#67 jazilla
Member since 2005 • 2320 Posts
Steep reqs make for lower marks because a great game should be scalable. A GREAT game should not bring a high end system,"...to it's knees." Hence the review score. If I have a supposedly state of the art system, should a game lag on it...? Of course not! That's why it got lower than fantastic marks, and it should have. An 8.7 is hardly a bad score though.
Avatar image for zonetroperalpha
zonetroperalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 zonetroperalpha
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
WAIT! cnc will be beter.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#69 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

WAIT! cnc will be beter.zonetroperalpha

Ya, totally agree.

I think the hype killed SupCom for me.  I know its a good game, but it just doesnt bring anything new to the table.

Any Total Annihilation veterans have any opinions out there?

3SecondGrenade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 3SecondGrenade
[QUOTE="3SecondGrenade"][QUOTE="basersx"]
basersx

Start a poll and ask people if they think Supreme Commander should have gotten a higher score than CoH and see what results you get. You are obviously a SC fan boy.

I'm an SC fan boy because I'm willing to look at both sides of evidence and think for myself? Good god, you make yourself sound less and less mature with each post.
Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts
Played and loved TA when I bought it off eBay in '99, so I suppose you could call me a bit of a TA fan. From my perspective with the demo, I absolutely love Supreme Commander. As somebody mentioned, it is TA updated for modern systems. And while my computer can barely run it on mostly medium settings (shadows turned completely off, mind you), it is still a graphically beautiful game. Granted, it's not going to have the same graphical detail as, say, C&C3...but do you really think that C&C3 can render two armies of 250-500 units on each side battling it out? The thing with Supreme Commander (and Total Annihilation before it) is that it sacrifices graphical detail in order to have massive battles on a massive theater of war. I'll be honest and say that the kind of gameplay that SC and TA has, there's going to be quite a few RTS gamers who aren't going to happy with a deviation from what we've been given these past 10 years. (and just to specify, my computer specs: 1st generation Pentium4 2.54GHz, 1GB RDRAM, 6800GT w/ 256MB RAM...late game becomes a slide show even on the demo map...but the game runs pretty well in the early game)

And speaking of gameplay, if you are going to condemn SC for the reasons basersx raises, you need to really stop playing RTS games all together. Because the RTS formula hasn't changed much since Dune 2. And while DoW brought the whole control point thing to the fore-ground (which is nothing more than a renewable kind of spice field), the whole point of any RTS game is to build up an army (either a massive army of basic units, or a smaller army of advanced units) and destroy the opposing base.

Really, what sold me on SupCom was that it recaptures the feel of Total Annihilation and just updates the engine and adds a new faction. And the whole dual-monitor support thing is pretty nifty too. Maybe I'm just showing my age here, but sometimes taking a minimalist approach is a good thing...refines what makes a game fun.

Oh, one last thing: the whole concept of having the sounds fade out the further you zoom out is an actual complaint?! You are actually pulling away from the action...of course the sound is going to be diminished when you leave the immediate area of battle. However, from what I've played of the demo, when a long-range artillery piece fires, you're going to hear it no matter how far you're zoomed out.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
WAIT! cnc will be beter.zonetroperalpha
It will be, even if it scores lower it will be better.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 basersx
To Ein: I did not condemn the game I just said I had played way to many RTS games lately leaving me with almost no desire for another one. SC is no doubt a very well done RTS that a lot of people will enjoy even if it’s not very original.

But like a lot of games it has received way too much hype ahead of its launch and I think you are seeing that a lot of people are finding its not living up to its hype. Add to it people crying because they don’t think an 8.7 is high enough and that is just absurd!

Also the fact that it looks like its going to be a system hog like MSFS-X, Splinter Cell Double agent, GRAW, etc and I think you can agree that this game deserves some real criticism for a lot of reasons. An 8.7 already seems like it was generous and the fact that people are complaining that it’s not higher makes the game an immediate target for criticism.

And Sims 2 has had the sound fade thing for years.

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts
To Ein: I did not condemn the game I just said I had played way to many RTS games lately leaving me with almost no desire for another one. SC is no doubt a very well done RTS that a lot of people will enjoy even if it’s not very original.basersx

Okay, it just sounded like you were blasting it because of the reasons you quoted.

But like a lot of games it has received way too much hype ahead of its launch and I think you are seeing that a lot of people are finding its not living up to its hype. Add to it people crying because they don’t think an 8.7 is high enough and that is just absurd!

Yes, this happens to every game that gets developed.  People are always going to complain that a game got scored 9.3 when it should have been 9.5...I just think of it this way, I have fun playing games that score a 5.7...a score on any website does not always mean that the game will not be fun.

Also the fact that it looks like its going to be a system hog like MSFS-X, Splinter Cell Double agent, GRAW, etc and I think you can agree that this game deserves some real criticism for a lot of reasons. An 8.7 already seems like it was generous and the fact that people are complaining that it’s not higher makes the game an immediate target for criticism.

Toss up Neverwinter Nights 2 to that list...but still people really enjoy the game.  I will admit that having steep hardware reqs is going to negatively impact a game...but really, CoH pushes my desktop to it's limits too.  And if GS is measuring a game against its peers, SupCom's system reqs are no steeper than CoH's were when it was released.  Is it playable on older computers?  Absolutely (shoot, just look at my specs).  Just don't expect the game to look its best.  I fully expected to take the hit in graphical detail the moment I downloaded the demo.  So I don't really think that people's opinion of the game should be based off of the system reqs as much as it seems to be.  Granted, SupCom won't even run on my laptop (Pentium M 2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM, and GeForce Go 6600) and all I get is a BSoD, but I'm still going to say that an 8.7 is fair...maybe a tad lower than what I'd give it (I'd go as high as 8.9...but that's about it), but that's just my PoV.
3SecondGrenade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 3SecondGrenade
To Ein: I did not condemn the game I just said I had played way to many RTS games lately leaving me with almost no desire for another one. SC is no doubt a very well done RTS that a lot of people will enjoy even if it’s not very original.basersx

Says someone who can't be bothered to download a single demo and spend an hour seeing for yourself.

It's absurd you are ready to say game is no better than Company of Heroes without ever having played it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I have no problem with the score. I have a problem with you claiming a game is "not very original" without ever having taken the time to play it. You sound no more intelligent or mature than a child screaming that his video game console owns all others that he has not played. You claim I am an "SC fanboy" because I am willing to play 2 games and make an educated opinion on both of them, while you believe you need only look at screenshots and a single review to decide that you can contribute to the community by spreading an uneducated opinion as fact. I would have been fine to leave this by saying it is your loss, however by coming back to this thread and claiming that Supreme Commander does not deserve a higher score, despite you not having played it nor having any intention to ever try it, you have shown both your inability to look at evidence given to you, and your inability to simply walk away from this without any friction. Both show you as a child whining that his game is better than anyone else's.

Unless you are about to tell us you have the ability to see an entire game through a single review and know everything about it telepathically, I will bid you good day and good bye. I have other things to do than read the posts of children.
ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
I'm downloading the demo now so I'll voice my half ass opinion later.   As for the score, 8.7 is still a great score and there shouldn't be any complaining regarding the score.
Mega_Mustaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Mega_Mustaine
Member since 2005 • 674 Posts
I could cut this tension with a knife...
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I was not talking to you and I don’t care what you think. Drop it or I will report you for abuse. Constantly calling me "immature" and “childish” is a form of a personal attack and violates the TOS. I have not said one negative thing about you personally, just the game. If you can not refrain from personally attacking users you do not agree with you do not belong on this board!basersx
Eh... despite the language used, people speaking that way have a bit of a point. Propagating uneducated opinions about something doesn't help.. that's how we got things like people thinking BF2142 was spyware, or this entire forum telling people to wait for a too-good-to-be-true 8600 Ultra card that probably never existed outside of someone's imagination. Most of the people trashing the game don't even know anything about it. A few of them have played it and never learned how it works differently compared to what they're used to (i.e. people trashing Armed Assault for not being like Call of Duty or NWN2 for not being like KOTOR). The rest have generally played it, understood it, and just don't like it. edit: And a few more don't have a computer able to handle it, and trash it for that. :) Almost forgot!
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#80 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I think supreme commander is cool, I didn't like it too much at first but after I played 6 hours I was getting into the grove and setting up waypoints and patrols and producing hundreds of tanks. It's too bad when I went into action my computer became a slideshow. I'd be all over it if I had a machine that could run it well.
ElvisNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 ElvisNixon
Member since 2003 • 551 Posts
Flop lol I knew it COH FTW.Axecident
8.7 GS, with 9.0 reader score is flop??? I don't think so. Go play COH and stop posting.
gozalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 gozalo
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts

well Ive been playing SC... i must say, I'm not impressed.

Maybe it was all the hype, but once you get past the graphics and the 2000 units, its pretty much a straight forward RTS.

Its not  a bad game by any means, its just not the second coming of Christ.

And to be honest, i prefer DoW.

Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts

Steep hardware requirements should be taken into consideration.

If some people can't run a game the way it's supposed to be just because they can't spend a couple more hundreads of bucks for their system, it means it has a shortcoming. The ultimate game is a game that appeals to everyone, and if some are 'discriminated' for their systems, the game doesn't appeal to the whole gaming market (or even the genre market) and thus can't be rated as the same game that runs perfectly on all systems.
You simply can't say "this game rocks and if you can't run this game it's your problem." The problem is with the developer, denying the customer from enjoying the product. And I'm not saying requirements should be like P1 CPUs and Geforce 4 cards, but atleast make the graphics level go way down for the matching people. It won't be the same graphic-expereience, but the gameplay expereience will be the same.

SunnySimantov

SuppCom wouldn't be the same, nor as good as it is if it had to be made to run on everybodies computer. Its mainly the game engine that needs all the resources, its not wasting them. Evry projectile has its own trajectory and if something gets in the way it will be hit. So if this game was dubbed down to run on lower systems it would get a bad review anyway because you would be losing a majority of what makes this game great in the first place.
Nodashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84 Nodashi
Member since 2003 • 1124 Posts

Well, the game is what everyone expected: Total Annihilation with a few interface upgrades and a new, shinny graphics engine.

And the thing is - that's good!

I'm buying a new machine next month, then I'll be able to play it in medium/high specs :)

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Well, the game is what everyone expected: Total Annihilation with a few interface upgrades and a new, shinny graphics engine.

And the thing is - that's good!

I'm buying a new machine next month, then I'll be able to play it in medium/high specs :)

Nodashi

IDK see my entire beef after playing it wasn't very entertaining.. I would have much rather have seen a massive space battle with thousands of units, not land..  Hopefully Homeworld 3 will be released some day.