Street Fighter 4 and controls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Azerux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Azerux
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Just asking for an advice, is it possible to play really good with a keyboard? Most of the people say SF4 is a controller a game, and frankly I don't really know. So I'm asking for advice because I might just buy one, and if I do, which one? XBOX one or something else?
felixiration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 felixiration
Member since 2009 • 433 Posts

I don't know, I can't seem to pull of special moves with either but the controller does feel better

AmazingAsian87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AmazingAsian87
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts

the Xbox 360 gamepad is takin over. most games now in pc support it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

sega saturn usb controller from ebay, i can't stress this enough...this was made for fighting games, unlike the 360 controller

Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Papitar
Member since 2008 • 2377 Posts

I think you could be good with a keyboard. Depends really on the game's controls. At least the cursor-buttons are precise!

Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

Get a USB fightpad

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
360 pad is great overall, as it usually has native support so the correct buttons are shown on the screen. But I've heard people say you need d-pad for fighters like this, and the one in 360 controller is really bad, so I dunno, maybe something else would work better, logitech has good ones.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I have no idea why people say that you need controllers for fighters (or heck, for any game for that matter)

Back in the day, I played One Must Fall 2097 with my keyboard and it works just fine.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="Azerux"]Just asking for an advice, is it possible to play really good with a keyboard? Most of the people say SF4 is a controller a game, and frankly I don't really know. So I'm asking for advice because I might just buy one, and if I do, which one? XBOX one or something else?

I kick butt with my KB !!!
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
[QUOTE="Azerux"]Just asking for an advice, is it possible to play really good with a keyboard? Most of the people say SF4 is a controller a game, and frankly I don't really know. So I'm asking for advice because I might just buy one, and if I do, which one? XBOX one or something else?

You can play better with a keyboard. Overclock USB port, assign macro keys and program keys (if your kb supports it) and win. Id rather a keyboard personally than a clunky noobstick with poor reg time.
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts

sega saturn usb controller from ebay, i can't stress this enough...this was made for fighting games, unlike the 360 controller

iwilson1296
or this.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I could see a keyboard working really, really well with this game, given how.. precise many of the inputs are intended to be.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I don't see why so many people make a fuss about KB. I've been playing fighting games on the PC with my KB since SF2....and it works perfectly.... KOF combos are awesome with KB.
dibooda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 dibooda
Member since 2003 • 95 Posts

I would like to had that I have playing all the neo-geo and arcade games on PC, thus, compared to the really bad xbox 360 controls, its easy to control with the keyboard. But if you prefer controllers, go get yourself a ps3...or a god Dpad controller.

Apssei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Apssei
Member since 2006 • 119 Posts

i have played with many descent players who claimed they were using their keyboard so i guess it can be done

oh and imo if you want a pad only for street fighter get either the saturn or the mad catz fightpad, if you want a controller for general use get either the xbox controller(bad pad but good game support) or the rumblepad 2 (relatively good pad but not as good game support which means you have to configure it yourself sometimes)

pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts
Unless you can find a controller like those of the arcades then keyboard is better.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

iwilson1296

This is a *must* for SF4 play, if you don't have an arcade stick. You can fumble around with 360 controller or some other 3rd party controller, but the Sega Saturn controller is THE controller for SF.

I could see a keyboard working really, really well with this game, given how.. precise many of the inputs are intended to be.Makari

It'd be hilarious watching someone on a keyboard play Zangief.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
There's a reason why fighting game fans love their rounded Sega Saturn pads. (Not only is the layout perfect for such games, but the Saturn also happened to be a 2D powerhouse, especially for fighting games.) That said, some people also like to take actual, arcade-grade parts and build their own arcade control panels with them. Nothing beats that clicky microswitch feel, though it sure does take up a lot of space to do it that way.
oishiitoriniku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 oishiitoriniku

I've been using a Logitech RumblePad II and it feels like playing the original SF II on SNES.

WarLokk1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 WarLokk1980
Member since 2008 • 103 Posts

It all depends on personal preference. I prefer the XBox 360 controller to be honest but some people are good playing with a keyboard.

faysal_ha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 faysal_ha
Member since 2008 • 417 Posts

if you are a true SF gamer ,you should have a controller like the 360 one , cuz you need to do combos,super and ultra which you cant do it with KB , imean the hard combos .

MarioSavio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MarioSavio
Hey guys I got a saturn pad and am having trouble configuring the buttons. If possible I'd like someone to tell me how they should be laid out or ideally take a screenshot of their button mapping as it is labeled as a 360 controller - which is totally different! It's very confusing to someone who has not played SF since the days of SF II on the super nintendo - any help? Mario-savio@live.co.uk if you can't get hold of me. I'm desperate to get playing ! :D
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I could see a keyboard working really, really well with this game, given how.. precise many of the inputs are intended to be.Makari
Yeah, I use keyboard instead of my 360 controller because the controls are so specific. The only advantage a controller has is on the full circle movements (kinda rough to do on kb, but all the others are easier on kb).
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
IoPulling combos is so much easier and comfortable than with a gamepad.
macfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 macfanboy
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

The best controller for Street Fighter 4 is theSega Saturn SS USB Controlpad For PS3hands down.