• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pharomarc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 pharomarc
Member since 2003 • 276 Posts

I use to always opt for the PC version of games (I own360,PS3,wii) but now games which uses Steam you can't sell, so I'll either pick the console version…or People can just open a new steam account for every game and just sell the game after they are done and give their email account and password they have used. Steam claim that it provided value to their customers, I think they are only talking about the game developers and not the gamers. Seriously why can you resell every other game you "OWN" except the ones that use Steam. Gamers should start to take notice and talk about it or nothing is going to change. It is your game sell it when you want to.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

I like it this way, especially when I pay much less for my games. The second hand games market that gamestop has going sickens me, sell for $5 less than new while ripping kids off?

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I don't sell my games, so I don't care.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

it's not just Steam, most games use accounts that tie to other "networks".

If you're so into reselling your games (which is illegal on everything, even if it's common on consoles), you should have done your homework and avoid games that you can't sell, not buy them anyway and complain how it's unfair...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I used to sell PC games (back in the good old DRM free days), and use that money to buy the newer titles. But now I can get the newer titles cheaper than ever before (thx to Steam and eBay), so selling doesn't really matter anymore.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
You haven't been able to effectively resell a PC game for damn near over a decade. The key might have already been used and unable to reuse. This is a non-issue to me. I tend to play a game then come back to it years later after new mods and graphical upgrades have come out and my newer PC will be able to rock it all at highest settings. It's cool to see how some older games evolve over time.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Reselling games is unfair to the developers, and you can sell any game that you haven't played.

And Steam more than makes up for it with the sales.

MonsterMMORPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 MonsterMMORPG
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

Reselling games is unfair to the developers, and you can sell any game that you haven't played.

Am_Confucius
No it is not unfair. When you used something in the real life you are able to sell it. For example car, house etc.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts
[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"]

MonsterMMORPG
No it is not unfair. When you used something in the real life you are able to sell it. For example car, house etc.

houses and cars cant be compared to software.
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

I don't sell my games, so I don't care.

Johnny_Rock

Same here

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Then use Green Man Gaming. It allows some reselling of games.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

What justification is there for any game company to deprive you of what you please with the product you own, that you paid in full for? Video games aren't cheap, and while Steam is fantastic for the sales it provides, used sales allow more freedom for gamers such as myself.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hexagon_777
What kind of money can one make off games they bought for a couple of bucks?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

What justification is there for any game company to deprive you of what you please with the product you own, that you paid in full for? Video games aren't cheap, and while Steam is fantastic for the sales it provides, used sales allow more freedom for gamers such as myself.

Socijalisticka
True matey, but it's not Steam's Fault. It's getting harder and harder to sell a used PC game. They all come with online activation and other forms of DRM. These days I have found it's CHEAPER to buy a new game then take a risk with a used game.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Socijalisticka

What kind of money can one make off games they bought for a couple of bucks?Hexagon_777

The game has already been paid for in full, used games only allow people who can't afford to buy new. It actually helps the developers, as if I feel satisfied with the used product, I am much more willing to invest in future products of theirs.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Socijalisticka

These days I have found it's CHEAPER to buy a new game then take a risk with a used game. FelipeInside

That is often the case unfortunately.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

Am_Confucius

This, This, and This... used game sales have really hurt console developers (especially Quantic Dream). If you really want to save money, just wait for sales.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]These days I have found it's CHEAPER to buy a new game then take a risk with a used game. Socijalisticka

That is often the case unfortunately.

Yeah, that's why selling used PC games is going out of fashion. Look at it this way, the devs gets more money...
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]What kind of money can one make off games they bought for a couple of bucks?Socijalisticka

The game has already been paid for in full, used games only allow people who can't afford to buy new. It actually helps the developers, as if I feel satisfied with the used product, I am much more willing to invest in future products of theirs.

The game has been paid for in full? I assume that means that the game was bought at launch when it is at its priciest. I never buy games at launch and I never buy games above a certain price threshold either. I utilize patience and compare prices.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Never trade my games in eithe..Hell i still own atari and colecovision games rofl..Even have some old gold box games even the 1st civilization games..I love steam for the fact it brought our genre back into the main stream..If it wasnt for steam pc gaming wouldve died a slow death..It brought back gaming to my fav plat form..Get over it its here to stay and im glad for ty steam for saving our community..Thank you valve for resurrecting our dead genre..Brought back our genre from the dead..We have life where we where on life support..Lets not forget this people..

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

there is hardly a market for used pc games...why would u even bother selling/buying used pc games...especially with all teh drm and stuff nowadays...steam all the way

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsterMMORPG"][QUOTE="Am_Confucius"]

TerrorRizzing

And why cant a house or a car not be compared to software? its the excat same concept. But if you want we can take movies, music, programs, mobiles or tvs. Its the excat same concept the ones who have orginal made it does not get anything out of it being resold, thats just the way of the world and the way of one of the most important principals in a democracy , The right to own something 100% and not just 50% or 20% like some gaming companys want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
reselling games is right up there with piracy on having the biggest impact on the gaming industry.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

there is hardly a market for used pc games...why would u even bother selling/buying used pc games...especially with all teh drm and stuff nowadays...steam all the way

lpjazzman220
Eh? there isent a market? i guess you dont have a gamestop or a releative big chain near you then. Last time i was down in a store to check a game, i would say that around 65% of the store was used games. Thats excatly why the gaming companies like EA have begun to limit their online services so if you have bought FIFA 2012 used, you wont be able to go online like you could have if you had bought the game from new.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#25 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

This isn't really steam's fault, it's just the direction that the gaming industry is going.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk
reselling games is right up there with piracy on having the biggest impact on the gaming industry.dannenissan2
LOL thats like saying that reselling a car is like Grand Thef Auto.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="dannenissan2"]reselling games is right up there with piracy on having the biggest impact on the gaming industry.Jacanuk

I don't know the statistics... but it's perfectly clear that every USED game sold is doing nothing for the developer.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
You're buying a license, same with physical copies. Welcome to the future, this is how all media will be eventually.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hexagon_777
Used games aren't even needed really, are they? Unless you buy your games at launch, you can get them for very little money. More people then have the same game instead of selling it to one another and that leads to a bigger community.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]You're buying a license, same with physical copies. Welcome to the future, this is how all media will be eventually.

Really is, the biggest companies already offer subscriptions for their software, like MS and Adobe, sooner or later you'll be able to subscribe to an OS which will open the world to the future of OSs, no OS at all, internet OSs (independent online OSs being dominant are still decades away, but we're already moving towards that).
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Well you could buy a console game new for $60 and resell it for $40 if you are lucky.

On Steam you can buy something on sale for $30 or less without reselling it.

I'd rather go with Steam.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="dannenissan2"]reselling games is right up there with piracy on having the biggest impact on the gaming industry.FelipeInside

I don't know the statistics... but it's perfectly clear that every USED game sold is doing nothing for the developer.

Do you think a used car is doing anything for the orginal company? or movie-dvd/blu-ray or the music-cd. Again its a part of a democracy and in most countries there is laws protecting this right.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="dannenissan2"]reselling games is right up there with piracy on having the biggest impact on the gaming industry.FelipeInside

It's followed only by blowing up the actual physical development studios as being bad for the companies. I mean, if we're going to make that allowance, we might as well say everyone that doesn't buy every game that is released is committing a mortal sin because it's bad for the game companies.
narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

I used to try to sell my used pc games on ebay. Turned out to be too much of a hassle and a bad way to make money, especially considering I rebought the same game sometimes.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
It doesn't matter. With those wonderful sales Steam does I bought a lot of games at a low price.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] LOL thats like saying that reselling a car is like Grand Thef Auto.

It's followed only by blowing up the actual physical development studios as being bad for the companies. I mean, if we're going to make that allowance, we might as well say everyone that doesn't buy every game that is released is committing a mortal sin because it's bad for the game companies.

Ahh guys, sorry, but you need to learn how to read properly. I never said it's hurting the developers or causing the downfall of PC gaming. If u re-read my post, all I said was it's doing nothing for the developer, which is correct. A used car also does nothing for the car manufacturer. (nothing = doesn't earn income)
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4401 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]What kind of money can one make off games they bought for a couple of bucks?Socijalisticka

How is buying a used game helping a developer? You do realize that any used game, any money the game makes in profit is strictly to the company that is selling the game.

For example. You buy Skyrim for $60 from "X Company". The company has already paid the developer money for the copy and then made a little money on the game themself.

You play the game, beat it and a couple months later you take that game and sell to "Y Company" for $20 and the game is still selling $60 new. "Y Company"marks the game used for $50. Someone buys the used copy for $50. "Y Company" just made $30 on the used copy...none of it goes to anyone else.

This is how Gamestop makes most of their money, selling used games. Any profit made on selling a used game is simply that, pure profit.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

How is buying a used game helping a developer? You do realize that any used game, any money the game makes in profit is strictly to the company that is selling the game.

For example. You buy Skyrim for $60 from "X Company". The company has already paid the developer money for the copy and then made a little money on the game themself.

You play the game, beat it and a couple months later you take that game and sell to "Y Company" for $20 and the game is still selling $60 new. "Y Company"marks the game used for $50. Someone buys the used copy for $50. "Y Company" just made $30 on the used copy...none of it goes to anyone else.

This is how Gamestop makes most of their money, selling used games. Any profit made on selling a used game is simply that, pure profit.

While it doesn't matter in the case of Steam because the games are frequently sold at a discount, used game sales can help developers in the sense that customers share the cost of the purchase and increase volume.

If a guy buys a game for $60 and sells it for $30, the dev gets $30 per person. Some people won't buy a game for $60 if they can't resell it (especially if the game isn't spectacular). Take away used sales and people are much less likely to pay $60 for a game that isn't absolutely incredible. Then the developer gets nothing. I know I bought games I wasn't totally interested in because I knew after I sold it, it would only end up costing me about $30. They still got my money.

This is the same amount as two separate people buying a game %50 off on steam. The dev still gets $60 total.

The question is,: do they make more or lose more from used sales (where people share the initial cost)? Used sales definitely increase volume. Considering that developers on Steam said that they made more from a Steam sale weekend than they did during the first month of release leads me to think that used sales don't hurt the industry as much as they think. They are a bunch of whiners that blame everything for their lack of success instead of looking at the quality of their products.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

people still want to sell PC games? :lol: that hasn't been a relevant thing in a decade

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

You knew what you were getting when you bought it. There is no reason to hate steam. They have had such great deals I have saved way more than I ever would have made selling old games.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I don't see the point in selling a game, I'd rather keep it so I can play it whenever I want.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
Of course the other question is why would people buy "used" if they can just buy it cheap on steam?
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts
If I have an issue with Steam is the continual barrage of games on sale, which have left me with quite a backlog. It's probably been said earlier but you don't own the game, you own a licence to play the game. I'm comfortable with that.
CCpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CCpotter
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

I use to always opt for the PC version of games (I own360,PS3,wii) but now games which uses Steam you can't sell, so I'll either pick the console version…or People can just open a new steam account for every game and just sell the game after they are done and give their email account and password they have used. Steam claim that it provided value to their customers, I think they are only talking about the game developers and not the gamers. Seriously why can you resell every other game you "OWN" except the ones that use Steam. Gamers should start to take notice and talk about it or nothing is going to change. It is your game sell it when you want to.

pharomarc

This is the way how it runs, people who love one game is willing to buy a new one with full price, and when are bored with it, they sell it to someone who don't wanna pay the full price, and it becomes a double-win thing, that's the reason why there are still second-hand market existing everywhere and in every industries

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsterMMORPG"][QUOTE="Am_Confucius"]

TerrorRizzing

This. When you buy a game, you really don't own the game, you own the right to play it and you are given a disc to play it. Giving other a way too play the game is unfair because you don't own the game.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

[QUOTE="lpjazzman220"]

Jacanuk

Eh? there isent a market? i guess you dont have a gamestop or a releative big chain near you then. Last time i was down in a store to check a game, i would say that around 65% of the store was used games. Thats excatly why the gaming companies like EA have begun to limit their online services so if you have bought FIFA 2012 used, you wont be able to go online like you could have if you had bought the game from new.

if you would read my post again i said USED PC GAMES...not console games...u cant sell pc games to gamestop because they know how easy it is to pirate them...buy a game...download crack...return 2 hours later...i mean honestly...what store is stupid enough to let u do that...

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] LOL thats like saying that reselling a car is like Grand Thef Auto.

Do you think a used car is doing anything for the orginal company? or movie-dvd/blu-ray or the music-cd. Again its a part of a democracy and in most countries there is laws protecting this right.

I addressed the HELL out of this something like a year ago. Here you go!
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

No its not. Resell market is something every manufacturer has to deal with, I dont see why software manufacturers think they should be exempt.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"] No its not. Resell market is something every manufacturer has to deal with, I dont see why software manufacturers think they should be exempt.

As mentioned in the link, the car manufacturers profit a decent amount from the used market themselves. CPO, being a decent destination of valuable trade-ins, and service departments make an absolute killing.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"] No its not. Resell market is something every manufacturer has to deal with, I dont see why software manufacturers think they should be exempt.

As mentioned in the link, the car manufacturers profit a decent amount from the used market themselves. CPO, being a decent destination of valuable trade-ins, and service departments make an absolute killing.

Maybe the publishers should try to compete with gamestop in someway then, rather than just whine about losing money from resold games. And if I resell my car in a private deal, the manufacturer gains nothing. Same with anything else, music, movie, book.