"Star Citizen" Questions for those who have purchased...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I really like where the game is heading and want to jump on board (pardon the pun).

1. Are some packages much better value than others?

2. Did anyone regret the package they chose and why?

3. Does it support SLI yet?

4. What is there to do at the moment?

5. I was thinking of getting the Avenger ship package, any good?

6. How big is the download?

7. Does the Steam overlay work with it?

Ta muchly :D

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I want this info as well!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-579f651eab962

Got my finger on the buy button.....waiting for GS feedback

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I am thinking this board might not have many backers.......

I was kind of wanting to know this information as well.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

You really should be checking robertsspaceindustries.com for these kinds of questions. They've been covered a lot already on their forums especially.

I can't say that I regret buying the 300i package, mainly because I've yet to play any substantial part of the game, still downloading the Arena Combat module at home. I felt that the $60 was a good package, fair price and you get a nice little ship from it. Prior to this morning you could only run around in the hangar and drool at the graphics, they look damn nice. Now you're going to get a bit more content, I'm hopeful that the combat will turn out well.

Not sure about the Steam overlay, I've not tried it yet but I would assume that it works as intended. The download size is pretty damn huge. Get ready for about a 15-20gb download (the Arena Combat module is approx 10gb alone). I'm not sure about the SLI support, it may not be in yet but it certainly will be eventually if not already. The avenger package looks awesome, I was actually considering buying it once they start allowing people to upgrade their current packages, which should be soon.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

My question is

Will work ever end so I can get home and play this!!!? :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

Oh well, couldn't wait

Anyone know if installing on SSD makes a difference?

EDIT: Answered my own question

"For me, the big performance difference is an SSD. If you're going to invest some money in a system and your choice is a mechanical drive and an i7 or an i5 and an SSD, take the SSD every day of the week. That's going to be a massive performance difference. SSDs are definitely going to matter in Star Citizen because we're PC only -- we're going to be doing a fair amount of streaming, so... you know, you're going to be sitting on your hard drive. If you ever get into memory issues and you're caching out, then obviously it's much better on an SSD than an HDD.

Chris Roberts

pro_user

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pro_user
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

hi there first time posting here. just spent some time playing arena commander with my aurora. currently its vs npc mobs which is called vanduul swarm .

1. it depends on what you want. you want a strong fighting ship you could start with a hornet . i got the aurora because i want to get the ships with the in game currency.

2. dont think so

3. dont know

4.currently you want free fly . walk in the hanger and fight npc . when 1.0 come ranked multi player will be available and vs matches with friends and others.

5. the avanger is amasing

6. no

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I really like where the game is heading and want to jump on board (pardon the pun).

1) Not really. Everything in the packages can be bought separately. If you don't want the Constellation but want the stuff that comes with it you can buy it all separately.

2) Nope. I did buy another ship but that's only because I also wanted something I could fly by myself.

3) I believe it does. I remember them telling us at PAX that you'd need a beefy SLI set up to max the game in it's current state.

4) Haven't been in the DFM yet, so I can't speak to that.

5) That's the single ship that I have. It's not flyable yet but I think the concept is fairly good.

6) 10gb.

7) Not sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@airshocker said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

5) That's the single ship that I have. It's not flyable yet but I think the concept is fairly good.

Whaddya mean it's not flyable?!?!?!

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@airshocker said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Whaddya mean it's not flyable?!?!?!

Not every ship is useable in the DFM yet. They will be updating over the next following weeks to open it to more ships.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@klunt_bumskrint: Only three ships are currently flyable for the DFM: The Aurora, the Hornet and the 300i. You get a ship to fly for the DFM, though. So don't worry about it.

From the arena commander manual it seems that the Avenger will be the next ship that's flyable in the DFM. I'm excited!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-579f651eab962

Cooltastic.

Going to download it all over night. Off to bed.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#14  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Oh well, couldn't wait

Anyone know if installing on SSD makes a difference?

EDIT: Answered my own question

"For me, the big performance difference is an SSD. If you're going to invest some money in a system and your choice is a mechanical drive and an i7 or an i5 and an SSD, take the SSD every day of the week. That's going to be a massive performance difference. SSDs are definitely going to matter in Star Citizen because we're PC only -- we're going to be doing a fair amount of streaming, so... you know, you're going to be sitting on your hard drive. If you ever get into memory issues and you're caching out, then obviously it's much better on an SSD than an HDD.

Chris Roberts

Of course I would take an i5 and SSD over an i7 and mechanical drive because **** i7's for gaming, but I call bullshit on this "massive" performance difference with an SSD. It has been well documented that SSD's have a marginal, if at all, effect on actual in game performance. As for ram issues, get another 8GB. You should have 16GB in any system seriously considered "next gen" at this point anyway, it is coming.

For the record I got my wife an SSD and I have been less than impressed with bang for the buck.

As for the OP's questions, the majority of these are not even answerable at this point. I cannot tell you if I am happy with the package I purchased when the game is still pre-alpha.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Not sure. Some of the $100 packages will get you a beefy fighter or trade ship. Obviously if you get the trade ship, there's a good chance that you won't stand a chance against fighters.

For $65 bucks? No way. I paid $150 for Elite Dangerous, though.

I doubt there are specific optimizations for SLI, but generally games don't need dedicated SLI support to work. They just need it to sometimes not experience graphics glitches.

Free flight and a wave based dogfighting mode with AI ships and Partners. Multiplayer comes in the next update.

No way to know at this point.

Around 10GB.

Doubtful.

-Byshop

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@airshocker: Yeah I have the avenger so I have been using the 300i as a replacement until then and I love the interior of it,it is beautiful a big upgrade from the previous version that was kept in the hanger.I'm hoping the avenger sees a comparable update.

And for people wondering about performance I have been playing it on high on 3 screens @ 6000x1080 on a single 7970 ghz,it is much more optimized than I thought it would be and there is still more optimisation to be done.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-579f651eab962

I'm getting multicoloured flickery flashy on mine with SLI enabled. Fine without.

I wish they'd put AA back in.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Byshop  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint: No issues with SLI here, but I CTD when I try to run Eyefinity mode.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-579f651eab962

@Byshop: Which driver you running?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint:

Catalyst 14.4 (I meant no issues with Crossfire). Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-579f651eab962

@Byshop: Yeah, I should of realised when you said Eyefinity...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint: Yes, this situation is 100% and completely your fault. :)

"I wish they'd put AA back in."

They're going to have an in-game support group for alcoholic pilots? Man, this game has got everything.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

So I've gotten to wave 6 of Vanduul Swarm. I'm having a monstrously hard time flying, though. Nothing beats the precision of the mouse but I get this weird sense that I'm handicapped at the moment.

@Byshop are you using rudder pedals in your setup? Are they working for you?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Byshop  Moderator

@airshocker said:

So I've gotten to wave 6 of Vanduul Swarm. I'm having a monstrously hard time flying, though. Nothing beats the precision of the mouse but I get this weird sense that I'm handicapped at the moment.

@Byshop are you using rudder pedals in your setup? Are they working for you?

Sort of. I have them mapped to the keys for strafe/roll left/right and then the right toe pedal to strafe forward and the left to strafe backwards. I haven't tried using the console to re-map and axis beyond the yaw/pitch swap. Star Citizen doesn't currently work with multiple control devices yet (and a few games never do). Pinacle Profiler is a program that lets you pull some overrides at the OS level, but it's not very intuative. Most of the instructions are tediuosly long tutorial videos on Youtube.

Since I can't use the pedals as axis, I use them for unassisted flight strafing only. Forward and reverse strafing are mapped to the same keys on the keyboard as throttle up and down, but the throttle stick doesn't strafe forward and backwards and I already have the hat on the stick mapped to strafing up/down/left/right.

This scheme works pretty well. In my Youtube video I got to level 7 without dying using my 300i. I think my record is level 9.

I also found out that I am going to get a very decent tax return so I've splurged a bit and also purchased a basic Hornet and Aurora so I have a few more ships to play around with in the DFM. I'll post more videos probably tomorrow.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Byshop  Moderator

I just hit Wave 10 before I lost my last life. Took about 30 minutes.

-Byshop

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I am getting graphics glitches when I enable crossfire. anyone had any success using it?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Would you all recommend these games to someone that knows nothing of the genre. I have always been interested, but its an overwhelming leap.

Is there a better jumping off point?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Having yaw set for the mouse is aggravating, to say the least. Makings flying feel absurd. And I really don't want to spend the money on a HOTAS setup.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator

@airshocker said:

Having yaw set for the mouse is aggravating, to say the least. Makings flying feel absurd. And I really don't want to spend the money on a HOTAS setup.

They range in price, but personally I think they are very worth it if you like this genre. It's not like Steel Battalion where you drop $200 on a controller that you can only ever use for one game. Thrustmaster has one for $50. Even if you don't get a HOTAS, the key thing that makes all the difference is having a way to adjust your speed on the fly. This makes buttons like "match target speed" obsolete and makes all the difference.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Byshop said:

They range in price, but personally I think they are very worth it if you like this genre. It's not like Steel Battalion where you drop $200 on a controller that you can only ever use for one game. Thrustmaster has one for $50. Even if you don't get a HOTAS, the key thing that makes all the difference is having a way to adjust your speed on the fly. This makes buttons like "match target speed" obsolete and makes all the difference.

-Byshop

I wouldn't even know where to begin in setting the damn thing up. My computer desk is almost at capacity, and there's nothing on it except my tower, my keyboard, and my mouse.

I'm trying to get my old CH Fighterstick to work so I can at least see if I like playing the game with a joystick, but that's sadly not working either.