Stalker is excellent!

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

I got this game at release and I couldn't really get into it. I got a few hours in and patched it at one point to find that it erased my saves and didn't really look back. Anyways I reinstalled it because I figured I need to get my money's worth. After downloading the latest patches and the FLOAT32 mod I gave it a second shot. All I have to say is "Wow!". The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is some of the best I've ever seen in a game. It's like Oblivion and a first person shooter mixed into one. Anyone else think this game is sort of underappreciated?

EDIT: Oh yea, and the monsters + art design is top notch! That one guy in the sewers who warps your mind is freaking crazy! Scared the hell out of me.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
i also agree its quite fantastic, one of my top 3 games this year
YouGotSacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 YouGotSacked
Member since 2006 • 215 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty good. But, I bought it at the time I got my 360 so... I kinda pushed it away. It was just a child, WHY?!?!?!?!
dazedfinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dazedfinch
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts
I see so many people praise this game, I wonder if i should get it.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

I got this game at release and I couldn't really get into it. I got a few hours in and patched it at one point to find that it erased my saves and didn't really look back. Anyways I reinstalled it because I figured I need to get my money's worth. After downloading the latest patches and the FLOAT32 mod I gave it a second shot. All I have to say is "Wow!". The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is some of the best I've ever seen in a game. It's like Oblivion and a first person shooter mixed into one. Anyone else think this game is sort of underappreciated?

EDIT: Oh yea, and the monsters + art design is top notch! That one guy in the sewers who warps your mind is freaking crazy! Scared the hell out of me.

GodLovesDead
Good nice to see you giving games oppurtunites that means were getting somewhere.;)
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I really like it
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]

OoSuperMarioO

Good nice to see you giving games oppurtunites that means were getting somewhere.;)

It's not my fault really. Stalker had enormous issues during release, and an save-erasing patch took the cake.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

S.T.A.L.K.E.R really impressed me in the opening few hours. Firefights were hard, it felt like every fight was a fight for my life and I wasn't killing to whittle down the enemy who exist purely to prevent my progress - as in other games - I felt like I was killing to survive.

But as time went on, the game just got easier and easier, and once I got a decent scope, combat became a little pointless. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a near miss as far as I'm concerned. Some changes I would make:

• Remove all money, make all trade be item for item, so everything you get is a sacrifice.
  • Increase the value and rarity of consumables so you are constantly fighting to survive.
  • More variety in - and point to - the sub-missions. Better rewards.
  • More realistic, cyclical AI. S.T.A.L.K.E.R used some annoying spawn triggers, many of which were bugged, leading to annoyingly broken missions and a lack of randomness in combat.
  • Reputation. Once you're famous, people come hunting for you. Other elite S.T.A.L.K.E.Rs.

I'm not bothered about how rough around the edges it is, how dire the english dialogue is, how the plot is uninteresting. I can live with all that. If the above are implemented in the sequel, It could be a seriously great game.

SHootER_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SHootER_FAN
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts
this game was very welldone from the guns to the AI, and it looks awsome with everything cranked to the max
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
STALKER easily falls into my top 5 for the year. The gameplay is fantastic and the graphics are top notch. The storyline and missions are good but not spectacular. The AI and environments however are some of the best I've encountered in any game.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I definitely liked it more than BioShock.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Glad you liked it, I thought it was CRAP-Tastic. :x

Much rather play Crysis, or Guild Wars.

therog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 therog2
Member since 2003 • 465 Posts
Yeah, Stalker was the biggest breath of freash air I've played in several years! ;)

Bring on sequels and expansion set's!!!
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Stalker is excellent!GodLovesDead

Agreed! :D

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
Much better than most of the other games released, unfortunately the MP part is not so great
LaNoOm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LaNoOm
Member since 2005 • 1039 Posts
Does Stalker have puzzles?
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

S.T.A.L.K.E.R really impressed me in the opening few hours. Firefights were hard, it felt like every fight was a fight for my life and I wasn't killing to whittle down the enemy who exist purely to prevent my progress - as in other games - I felt like I was killing to survive.

But as time went on, the game just got easier and easier, and once I got a decent scope, combat became a little pointless. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a near miss as far as I'm concerned. Some changes I would make:

• Remove all money, make all trade be item for item, so everything you get is a sacrifice.
  • Increase the value and rarity of consumables so you are constantly fighting to survive.
  • More variety in - and point to - the sub-missions. Better rewards.
  • More realistic, cyclical AI. S.T.A.L.K.E.R used some annoying spawn triggers, many of which were bugged, leading to annoyingly broken missions and a lack of randomness in combat.
  • Reputation. Once you're famous, people come hunting for you. Other elite S.T.A.L.K.E.Rs.

I'm not bothered about how rough around the edges it is, how dire the english dialogue is, how the plot is uninteresting. I can live with all that. If the above are implemented in the sequel, It could be a seriously great game.

mfsa

You should try the Redux mod. It's got most of what you're asking for. Totally revamped economy which means items are extremely rare and very expensive.. There's next to no food so you'll have to decide whether it's more important to carry that extra box of shells or a few tins of food. Bandages no longer heal you and first aid kits are almost as rare as food. Completely redone ballistics and damage system so that combat is much more unforgiving. Weapons and armour also degrade much more quickly than in the original game, but you can repair them. There is also a lot more armour to chose from and it covers 9 locations rather than the entire body. REALLY annoying if you're in the middle of a radiation zone and you get a hole in your suit. Any damage to an enviro-suit and it becomes completely useless at shielding you from radiation, chemicals, or fire until you patch it up.

fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts
It's is one of my favorite games of the year.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I like the game a lot, but the main problem I have with it is the lack of a fast travel feature. Walking with a lot of gear makes getting from on place to another take a very long time.
bloodstained-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bloodstained-
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

Stalker's goty for me along with Crysis. Can't wait for Clear Sky.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

That one guy in the sewers who warps your mind is freaking crazy! Scared the hell out of me.

GodLovesDead

Unfortunately there were only a couple of those psi mutants in the entire game. Not having enough unique ideas like this was one the game's disappointments.

Adam-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Adam-117
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts
looks like im gonna have to pick this game up
hatefull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hatefull
Member since 2004 • 186 Posts
ok im gonna give it another go with the a-live mod
LaNoOm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LaNoOm
Does it have puzzles?
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GodLovesDead

Does it have puzzles?LaNoOm

I haven't encountered any puzzles. Regardless, just read the games features. I wish it was given higher scores by the critics so more people would try the game out. It feels like the game isn't as well-known as it should be. I think the critics focus too much on unimportant aspects such as the story (I like the story and its 7 endings) and don't focus enough on the content and technology at play. The gun-fights are great and the artificial intelligence is the best to be found in a game. Remember Oblivion's "innovative AI"? Well, Stalker has Oblivion's AI except it's much more improved. Stalker is the Oblivion of the FPS genre, without the simplicity.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts
Never really got into it, thought the game was pretty boring, Oblivion with guns as someone said. Only problem is that Oblivion sucked. Been meaning to maybe give it another go but between The Witcher, NWN2, The Orange Box, Jericho, and System Shock 2, and probably a couple of more games after the holidays...i'm not going to find any time for STALKER for quite awhile.
flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts
An excellent game plagued by poor optimization. Something tells me that Clear Sky (the prequel coming out) will be much better.
stenfisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stenfisk
Member since 2006 • 232 Posts
What does the float32 mod do?
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I bought Stalker awhile back, and played through for a short bit. It was a lot of fun, but I had just bought Bioshock at the time. I plan to get around to it soon, though. There's a huge backlog of games for me to get through.

Mlazaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mlazaro
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts
STALKER is by far the most unique shooter i ever played.Its the only game i ever played twice.Has my vote for FPS of the year.
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

Float 32 mod amps up the graphics...!!

Hard to believe it was created by one man in his spare time...

GSC needs to hire him...

The difference is incredible...!!!!

LaNoOm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LaNoOm
How many hours does it take to beat?
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodLovesDead

Never really got into it, thought the game was pretty boring, Oblivion with guns as someone said. Only problem is that Oblivion sucked. Been meaning to maybe give it another go but between The Witcher, NWN2, The Orange Box, Jericho, and System Shock 2, and probably a couple of more games after the holidays...i'm not going to find any time for STALKER for quite awhile.PTMags

Oblivion didn't suck because it was open ended. It sucked because it simplified RPG elements. Stalker relating to Oblivion is meant in the sense of quests, scale, and AI.

Float 32 mod amps up the graphics...!!

Hard to believe it was created by one man in his spare time...

GSC needs to hire him...

The difference is incredible...!!!!

OgreB

The Float32 mod improves the graphics and increases your FPS by ~20%. It's a requirement if you plan to take Stalker a ride.

How many hours does it take to beat?LaNoOm

I've played for 14 hours and I still haven't gotten anywhere in the mainquest. I don't plan to touch the main quest til I have to and I have a long ways to go.

LaNoOm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LaNoOm
So stalker is an rpg?
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GodLovesDead

So stalker is an rpg?LaNoOm

It's a shooting game with RPG elements. The gameplay relys on shooting skills when fighting enemies. Besides that FPS element, you have an inventory, resistances, armor, gear, quests, journals, optional dialogue, open ended levels, and lots of replay value.

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
How many hours does it take to beat?LaNoOm
Depends on how you play the game. I took quite a while to finish the game, as I spent a lot of time on checking out the areas and such. I'd say unless you're very good at FPS games (headshots with every shot) and knows where to go and what to do, you probably wont finish it in less than 10 hours. And if you did finish it in that short time you probably would have missed 75% of the game Unfortunately a lot of the time is spent on walking. If you're in one area, carrying as much as possible, and have to walk to to another another area it's going to take some time, as you have to rest now and then and you can't run. And even if you're not carrying much, but have to get from one end of the map to the other, it's also going to take quite a lot of time (even though you can run this time). And while traveling in areas you already know, chances of walking into trouble are small. There should have been a speedwalk mode, where you select destination on the map and your character automatically goes there as fast as possible (though if he sees enemies he will stop up)
PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

[QUOTE="PTMags"]Never really got into it, thought the game was pretty boring, Oblivion with guns as someone said. Only problem is that Oblivion sucked. Been meaning to maybe give it another go but between The Witcher, NWN2, The Orange Box, Jericho, and System Shock 2, and probably a couple of more games after the holidays...i'm not going to find any time for STALKER for quite awhile.GodLovesDead

Oblivion didn't suck because it was open ended. It sucked because it simplified RPG elements. Stalker relating to Oblivion is meant in the sense of quests, scale, and AI.

Well that's your opinion I guess, but I don't like games that are so open ended, takes away from the story. Then again the story was retarded just like everything else about Oblivion so maybe that's why there was all that other crap to try and distract you. Which is the same with STALKER. Wouldn't be as bad if there were a faster means of travel I think.

LaNoOm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LaNoOm
So Stalker should be in the rpg class it seems like not fps.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

So Stalker should be in the rpg class it seems like not fps.LaNoOm

Why doesn't it look like FPS? FPS means First Person Shooter after all. STALKER is first person and it is a shooter.

And it's lacking too many important RPG elements to actually be one. STALKER is FPS with RPG elements and it doesn't try to be anything else.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#40 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
STALKER is great for sure.. it takes many, many hours to beat... you will enjoy this one!
Aashammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Aashammer
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts
So, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a good game, huh? I might just have to look into that.
Frostbite345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Frostbite345
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts

I think that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a brilliant game,I love it even though it has it's flaws! But once you've finished the main quest there's not alot to do,apart from the multiplayer games, I think they should release it onto the 360 and PS3 and make it an MMO where you can explore the whole game world(With additional locations),give each character a level/reputation(Rookie,veteran,e.tc),start your own clan or faction an wage war against others,make money mor scarce so you have to work for it,let you buy more armour/clothes e.tc,customiziable weapons ahhh you get my point!

If anybody else out there agrees with me on this reply or send me a message,

Peace

Mankyblobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mankyblobs
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

STALKER is an excellent game experience but with alot of rough edges. The patches have done a hell of a lot for it. The very first 'vanilla' version before the first patch was just such a beta version it was unbelieveable.

The other guy was right, elite stalkers should have come after you once your standing increased, that would have been interesting.

Also, the two seceret labs could have done with some proper monsters down there, not that stupid 'hands and legs' monster, which was scary at first because its soo large and soo ugly, but something really bad ass.

Jeb_ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jeb_ster
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts
I've played the game 12 times (for real). I've milked the AI for all its worth except one last puzzle and I'm studying that one now.
Jeb_ster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jeb_ster
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts

I think that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a brilliant game,I love it even though it has it's flaws! But once you've finished the main quest there's not alot to do,apart from the multiplayer games, I think they should release it onto the 360 and PS3 and make it an MMO where you can explore the whole game world(With additional locations),give each character a level/reputation(Rookie,veteran,e.tc),start your own clan or faction an wage war against others,make money mor scarce so you have to work for it,let you buy more armour/clothes e.tc,customiziable weapons ahhh you get my point!

If anybody else out there agrees with me on this reply or send me a message,

Peace

Frostbite345

I agree.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
I'm getting the Redux and FlOAT32 mods, what other mods are recommended? Is there a mod like MFSA said where other elite S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. start going after you as your standing increases?
SorasGhost009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SorasGhost009
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
im gonna buy this
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

I brought it earlier and it looks and feels unique. I've scheduled some cold winter nights to play this one - once I get another 1GB of ram. I'd reckon you'd need at least 2gb orRamand a GPU of some noteto get it to run with any sort of efficiency.

But then, that's for all games coming out now. So hard to keep up with the times.

8)

OkuLaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OkuLaris
Member since 2003 • 803 Posts

STALKER is quite excellent indeed many nice mods for it to.

Drivable vehicles anyone ? :P

LanDC77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 LanDC77
Member since 2005 • 1415 Posts
Could anyone give me a good site to get some mods, the ones on gamespot don't work.