Sound card for Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Burdith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Burdith
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

Hello, I've been wondering for a little while if a sound card would be useful for my PC, I'm not sure if the sound card would improve a lot from the on-board sound that my motherboard currently has. (I'm guessing it will be an improvement, but I just wanted to ask to be sure)

I have the Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 : http://www.asrock.com/mb//overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3

I was thinking of going for a Xonar DG, would this be an improvement over the onboard of my Motherboard?

Thank you!

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
I would stick with the onboard audio. Your motherboard has 7.1 channel audio, and the Asus sound card only has 5.1 channels...
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

DG is tailored more for headphones. I think the DX is for speakers.

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
You're not telling the most important part, what equipment (headphones/headset/speakers) are you using with the soundcard? If you're, as an example, using generic gaming headsets and/or Logitech speakers, save your money and stick with the onboard soundchip. If you have some better equipment, a dedicated soundcard can be worth it, mainly to get away from the noisy motherboard environment.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If you're using half decent headphones/speakers a sound card will give you an improvement.