Some questions about video cards and fans

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BPrimeTimeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BPrimeTimeL
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

I was wondering if running SLI or CrossFire significantly improves gameplay on average? If so, would the two cards need to be running at the same speed? Because the motherboards that I've seen with 2 PCI-E x16 slots have the two slots running at different speeds, x8 and x4.

As for the fans, can anyone who has a case with a top fan or two confirm if they are safe from debris falling inside the case? I've seen mixed responses on different boards as to whether it happens on a regular basis. And would I need fans that are capable of running at different speeds if I want to adjust the their speed with a fan controller? Or can fan controllers override fans that only run at one speed and make them adjust or something?

Thanks, I know it's a lot of questions but I just want to make sure I know what I am doing.

joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 joshuahaveron
Member since 2004 • 2165 Posts

I have a HAF 932 and nothing has fell in. Fans are plugged into the controller with the little 3 pin which usually goes into the moitehrboard and yes you can change their speed. SLI and crossfire don't work in all games and there is only on average about a 50% boost in perfomance using sli or crossfire, I'm not a fan of SLI or crossfire with the bigger energy costs, extra heat production and poor price / performance, especially with the mobos. If I was yo uI would get one of the new dx11 cards, it will own most SLI and crossfire setups, or wait for them to come out and see what the prices are liek for the other cards.

EDIT - I forgot the speeds of the PCI, some motherboards, instead of running both PCI slots at 16 x speed, when using crossfire limit one or more to a lower speed, say 8x or 4x. Therefor reducing the bandwidth, I'm not sure how much this would affect performance however.

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

I have a HAF 932 and nothing has fell in. Fans are plugged into the controller with the little 3 pin which usually goes into the moitehrboard and yes you can change their speed. SLI and crossfire don't work in all games and there is only on average about a 50% boost in perfomance using sli or crossfire, I'm not a fan of SLI or crossfire with the bigger energy costs, extra heat production and poor price / performance, especially with the mobos. If I was yo uI would get one of the new dx11 cards, it will own most SLI and crossfire setups, or wait for them to come out and see what the prices are liek for the other cards.

EDIT - I forgot the speeds of the PCI, some motherboards, instead of running both PCI slots at 16 x speed, when using crossfire limit one or more to a lower speed, say 8x or 4x. Therefor reducing the bandwidth, I'm not sure how much this would affect performance however.

joshuahaveron
hey can you teach me how to build my own website like this http://pcgamingessentials.weebly.com/. I'd like to help people out with all the information in my head as well!
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

[QUOTE="joshuahaveron"]

UltimateGamer95

hey can you teach me how to build my own website like this http://pcgamingessentials.weebly.com/. I'd like to help people out with all the information in my head as well!

Try this...http://www.webs.com/

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

and use ur gamespot blog asap / youtube channel to spread ur information :) that can sometime being more usefull then private domain because people that can click ur name on this forum can see ur profile and the blog but if you have a nice website with a nice interface and a page counter ;) you can see if it was popular or helped anyone :P GS blog can have counter too :P