Some good old PC games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Scryer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Scryer999
Member since 2006 • 238 Posts
I have a kind of old pc (2002) and i wanted to get into PC gaming. i dont have the money or charismatic skills to convince my computer deficient uncle to get a new one. SO i've been stuck playing games like the sims and Fallout 1 and 2. There good games and they run really well on my pc, but is there any other good games that came out in 1990-1999? i was thinking System Shock 1 or 2. but i think you get the idea
1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

IMO, you're in a great position. Games from 1990-1999, in my opinion, is the greatest era for gaming and features some true gems.

Quake 1 - Funner than most FPS today and far easier to get into
Half Life - Really created the modern FPS. It can feel a bit dated today because literally every subsequint FPS copied HL.
Thief 1/2 - The best Stealth series ever, and is completely and utterly immersive. Amazing stuff.
System Shock 1/2 -As you noted. I've only played the second, but it is a very amazing and immersive experience.
Baldur's Gate - Thought of by some as the greatest RPG of all time. Check it out. Will last you ages.
StarCraft - Though of by some as (just like BG) the greatest RTS of all time. Blizzard's finest.

Try these. I'll try to think of some more.

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
System Shock 2, Half Life, Undying, Deus Ex....
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
Diablo, UT, Broken Sword 1 and 2, Grim Fandango...
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

IMO, you're in a great position. Games from 1990-1999, in my opinion, is the greatest era for gaming and features some true gems.

Half Life - Really created the modern FPS. It can feel a bit dated today because literally every subsequint FPS copied HL.
Thief 1/2 - The best Stealth series ever, and is completely and utterly immersive. Amazing stuff.
System Shock 1/2 -As you noted. I've only played the second, but it is a very amazing and immersive experience.
Baldur's Gate - Thought of by some as the greatest RPG of all time. Check it out. Will last you ages.
StarCraft - Though of by some as (just like BG) the greatest RTS of all time. Blizzard's finest.

1carus

Good list but add to that Doom, Doom II, Heretic and Hexen. The first two you can look up yourself if you don't know what they are. Heretic is a fantasy doom clone but captures it perfectly. Hexen is basically heretic but it has a lot more puzzles in it. All are even on steam if you want them easy and hassle free. I recommend getting a source port for them though if you really want some fun.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
blade runner and lands of lore
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Get No One Lives Forever series.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

System Shock 1, 2

Doom 1, 2, Final Doom

Half Life

Quake 2, 3

Sam and Max Hit the Road, Sam and Max Season 1, 2

Worms Armageddon

Alpha Centauri

Medieval Total War

Deus Ex

Rogue Spear

Max Payne 1, 2

Grand Theft Auto 1, 2, 3, Vice City, San Andreas

Broken Sword 1, 2

Age of Empires 2

Diablo 2

Myst

Riven

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

Get No One Lives Forever series.thusaha

this. and any games by blizzard. and half-life. and anything by id software. and the king's quest, space quest, police quest, and leisure suit larry series (and quest for glory (hero's quest) as well, if you can find it).

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Rainbow Six Raven Shield - one of the best tactical shooters ever.

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries - bigass robots + lasers + you are a merc = win.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Wing Commander: Privateer! Awesome game! Someone with some brains needs to make #3!!!

jimbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#12 jimbow4
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

So Fallout 1 & 2 isn't enough? :)

Try Diablo to fill your hack'n'slash needs and Planescape Torment / Baldur's Gatefor your rpg needs. And for what I hear King of Dragon Pass is an excellent game. Deus Ex is also quite good. No One Lives Forever is funny. GTA 3 might just work on your computer as well.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

If you like RTT games the Close Combat series (starting with III and up) was pretty good.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

what the guys said. on top of that --

STRATEGY: try the Myth series by Bungie for some classic RTT ( real time tactics ) action; Disciples II and its expansion, for its wonderful art direction and lengthy campaign; Jagged Alliance 2 is also a must have turn-base strategy game ( with some rpg elements ); Warlord Battlecry series and Battle Realm are some of the earlier and forgotten great titles as well.

FPS: don't just stop at Half Life. you MUST buy the Blue Shift expansion pack, which comes with the wonderful Opposing Force( persoanlly i think the greatest of the entire HL franchise ); the 1st Alien vs Predator, which is not as famous as the 2nd one but still very fun; Undying, one of the greatest horror games on pc ( not sure if you can run it tho, probably no problem ).

RPG: the last of the glorious Infinity Engine title Ice Wind Dale 2, which is easily up there among the best rpgs ever made; Wizardy 8, a title knwon for its respectable heritage and a dazzling amount of role-playing content set in an unique world where magic and technology go hand in hand; Revanant, a unique title with an interesting combat system; Silver, dubbed as "the european answer to FFVII"; speaking of which, yea, Final Fantasy VII, if you can find a copy, this baby is something you won't soon forget, i guarantee.

SIM: the Mech Warrior series. the 3rd one is probably your best bet, and it's pretty great; Descent: Freespace, a sleeper hit that heralded the greatest space sim title in the history, ie. Freespace 2 ( which is also a definite MUST HAVE, of coz ). I'm not familiar with the management and economic sim, but apparently there's a torrent of great titles in the late 90s as well.

themubashir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 themubashir
Member since 2005 • 1265 Posts
Here's an assorted list by Genre ADVENTURE - The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, SPORTS - FIFA 2002 World Cup FPS - HALF LIFE , CALL OF DUTY n United offensive, MEDAL of HONOUR:ALLIED ASSAULT, RPG - FALLOUT, KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC, DIABLO 1 N 2, ACTION - SPLINTER CELL 1, HITMAN SILENT ASSASSIN, THIEF SERIES, STRATEGY - AGE OF MYTHOLOGY, WARCRAFT, EVIL GENIUS, BATTLE REALMS HAPPY GAMING
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#16 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts

i recommend ...

star wars jedi outcast
neverwinter nights
battlefield 1942
warcraft 3
dungeon siege

and sports games if you are into those...
madden 2002
microsft baseball 2001

Avatar image for Fourth_Survivor
Fourth_Survivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fourth_Survivor
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
sorry to bump this old thread, but i just have to say..... MIGHT AND MAGIC VII: FOR BLOOD AND HONOR my god, could this be the best game of all time? find it, buy it and play it! you will see what i mean.
Mage_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Mage_7
Member since 2007 • 1065 Posts

1carus

Great List also get Quake 2 great story and still about 100 people online at a time. Diablos are a must have and Diablo 2 is still played by many online. For online I recommend Halo, Diablo 2, CS 1.6, and Starcraft (Never played it need to pick it up but it is great )

Avatar image for Fourth_Survivor
Fourth_Survivor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fourth_Survivor
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="1carus"]

Mage_7

Great List also get Quake 2 great story and still about 100 people online at a time. Diablos are a must have and Diablo 2 is still played by many online. For online I recommend Halo, Diablo 2, CS 1.6, and Starcraft (Never played it need to pick it up but it is great )

i agree with both you and 1carus. god, i miss the game styles of the 90's. does anyone think that photo-realism in eveyr game from now on might be a bad thing? it's great with most games, but.....knowing that i'm never going to see another game release that still looks like a video game is strange to me.
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

warcraft 2

TES chapter 2: daggerfall

deus ex

nox

myth franchise

shogo: mobile armor division

carmaggeddon

worms 2: armaggeddon

serious sam: the second encounter

medal of honor : allied assault

lord of the realm 2 & 3

age of empires 2

sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
diablo 1 and 2 half-life
Avatar image for GG-raaaaiiiiiii
GG-raaaaiiiiiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 GG-raaaaiiiiiii
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

+1 awesomeness for everyone that said Worms Armageddon, Space Quest, and Sam & Max, as they are some of my all-time favorites.

Everyone has pretty much listed great games so far. I don't think there was a mention of Command & Conquer which surprises me. They were spectacular back when they were developed by Westwood.

Also, if you can get a joystick then X-Wing Vs. Tie-Fighter is epic.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aura_enchanted

+1 awesomeness for everyone that said Worms Armageddon, Space Quest, and Sam & Max, as they are some of my all-time favorites.

Everyone has pretty much listed great games so far. I don't think there was a mention of Command & Conquer which surprises me. They were spectacular back when they were developed by Westwood.

Also, if you can get a joystick then X-Wing Vs. Tie-Fighter is epic.

GG-raaaaiiiiiii

another stellar game is "dink smallwood" (yes thats its name) and i also had a blast playing guildwars which though a recent title (2003) has some of the lowest system requirements for its day (pentium 3, 512mb ram, basically any none onboard gpu.

TEH_RADIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TEH_RADIO
Member since 2009 • 418 Posts
Guild wars, American Mcgee's Alice, Half-life 1and 2
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

And TRON 2.0, this game is awesome!

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aura_enchanted

Guild wars, American Mcgee's Alice, Half-life 1and 2TEH_RADIO
he couldnt handle 2 if he wanted too XD odds are he ahs a pentium 3-4 or some other single core cpu, and a bad gpu (x100 or fx5000 families are my guess) oh and if you liked alice try "the path" its a DL'd games of steam or direct2drive its a pretty awsome title.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aura_enchanted

And TRON 2.0, this game is awesome!

thusaha

tron is made of awsome no matter what system its on.

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
You liking Fallout? Try Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or Planescape Torment. Also, Shogun or Medieval Total War are awesome. (I prefer Shogun) Half Life, Monkey Island, Total Annihilation are good as well.
knat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 knat4
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts

Age of Empires 2

Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood

Commandos Men of Courage

Star Craft

Red Alert 2

Castle Wolfnstain 3d

C dogs

Quake Arena

Quake

Doom

Lukemaneiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 Lukemaneiro
Member since 2005 • 282 Posts

Warcraft III is my best bet for a 2002 PC (RTS).

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

Freespace

Freespace II

Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

kotor, grim fandango

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

GOG.com

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Coldzboy
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Age of Empires 2

Konman5670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Konman5670
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I need help finding an old pc game from late 80's to late 90's. I forgot the name of it but I remember playing it when I was a kid. It was a strategy maze side-scroller type game and it was about this guy trying to get to the end of the maze, I'm going to show an example, like one of the levels, you had to cross water to get to the exit but you couldn't cross or you will drown, but the flippers you need is on another side of a locked door. So you needed to find a key to get the flippers but dodge enemies or obstacles once you get the key you can get the flippers you can get across the water to the exit.
Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
I second the mentioning of GoG.com This site is a true gem to buy anything oldschool PC gaming at very cheap prices.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I need help finding an old pc game from late 80's to late 90's. I forgot the name of it but I remember playing it when I was a kid. It was a strategy maze side-scroller type game and it was about this guy trying to get to the end of the maze, I'm going to show an example, like one of the levels, you had to cross water to get to the exit but you couldn't cross or you will drown, but the flippers you need is on another side of a locked door. So you needed to find a key to get the flippers but dodge enemies or obstacles once you get the key you can get the flippers you can get across the water to the exit.Konman5670
Chips Challenge is what you're thinking about. And for the record, don't revive ancient threads. 

Droolv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Droolv
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Halo CE, in my opinion, is on of the best older PC games EVER. Surprisingly, it still has online support, so you can play with people online.