AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Which really sucks IMO, since I am not an OCer, and have always just prefered using the stock coolers, so now we have the added cost, and hassle of finding a 3rd party cooler that fits socket AM4, and doesn't break the bank. Joy.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Spend 400$ on a CPU and wants a 5$ cheap stock cooler

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@MonsieurX said:

Well usually it's enough if you're not overclocking. And the Wraith cooler looked sufficient enough.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

TBF I don't think you'll be as hard up finding an affordable cooler for AM4 unless you are looking to buy on launch day. I'd imagine most of the cooler makers will be slipping AM4 brackets into the next production run of their coolers, such that they'll be ubiquitous within a year.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@Articuno76 said:

TBF I don't think you'll be as hard up finding an affordable cooler for AM4 unless you are looking to buy on launch day. I'd imagine most of the cooler makers will be slipping AM4 brackets into the next production run of their coolers, such that they'll be ubiquitous within a year.

I did want to buy one at launch, may have to reconsider. Why would they launch a new CPU when there are no coolers for it? They better have a version of the 1800X that is bundled with the stock cooler. Cause thats the one I'm buying.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

So I won't be able to reuse my Hyper 212 Evo? That's a downer.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

̅ \_(ツ)_/ ̅

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlexKidd5000

Apparently, there will be a version with a bundled cooler. Hope thats true.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Pray that brackets come out.

@MonsieurX said:

Eh hem that $5 cooler has rgb.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Articuno76

@Bikouchu35 said:
@PfizersaurusRex said:

Pray that brackets come out.

@MonsieurX said:

Eh hem that $5 cooler has rgb.

I can't imagine one of the most popular coolers out there wouldn't get a new bracket.

What is surprising to me, however, is that more cooler makers aren't ready day 1 for this. After all, this is the same product launch that's being complemented with almost 100 motherboards.

I know Noctua have a new cooler/bracket for AM4, but their stuff is probably more expensive than what the TC had in mind.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@AlexKidd5000: amd is just following intel which does not have a cooler included with all their top level cpu's which has the advantage of making the making the price lower and allows the user to save money and purchase better aftermarket coolers. amd coolers have never been any good at keeping their cpus at a decent temp even when not oc, i know this because i own a whole bunch of em, hence wraith, which still isn't all that good.

at any rate this ryzen has a cooler newegg and although both are out of stock atm msi has a air cooler and evga a water cooler

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

And so? If you are buying 1700X or above, you should have money for cooler as well. Intel has been doing this for awhile.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Articuno76

@horgen: There isn't much actual choice for AM4 coolers at the moment -- in any budget range.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

@horgen: There isn't much actual choice for AM4 coolers at the moment -- in any budget range.

http://www.coolermaster.com/we-are-ready-for-your-am4-socket/.

The most recent all-in-one (AIO) liquid cooling models announced at CES 2017 – the MasterLiquid 120/240 and the MasterLiquid Lite 120 – are already equipped with native AM4 compatibility. For the majority of our other cooling products, the only thing you’ll need is our free AM4 upgrade kit. Check the list below for compatible models:

1)Buy budget cooler in the list. The famous Hyper 212 Evo is there

2)Get free AM4 upgrade kit

3)???

4)Profit!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Sorry, not OCing, don't buy it. It's for enthusiasts.

Glad they are not including shit coolers.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

Get an EVO 212 if you want cheap.

There's no reason to include a stock cooler since air cooling is generally all about surface area and they would have to make the CPU boxes very large which would take up more space in warehouses and most people buy other solutions anyway.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Why do they even have stock coolers now-a-days?

Someone take my stock coolers, I don't use em.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Which really sucks IMO, since I am not an OCer, and have always just prefered using the stock coolers, so now we have the added cost, and hassle of finding a 3rd party cooler that fits socket AM4, and doesn't break the bank. Joy.

This is good for the customer.

Aftermarket coolers are better than stock garbage.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GummiRaccoon

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@Articuno76 said:

I did want to buy one at launch, may have to reconsider. Why would they launch a new CPU when there are no coolers for it? They better have a version of the 1800X that is bundled with the stock cooler. Cause thats the one I'm buying.

Already bought this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

stock ones are awfully noisy as well, I rather not pay extra to have a cooler I'll never use included

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@howmakewood said:

stock ones are awfully noisy as well, I rather not pay extra to have a cooler I'll never use included

You still pay the same really. Did the 6600K or 6700K drop in price because Intel doesn't ship a cooler along with them?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

@horgen said:
@howmakewood said:

You still pay the same really. Did the 6600K or 6700K drop in price because Intel doesn't ship a cooler along with them?

ofc not, and I'd wager the stock cooler cost a few bucks for the manufacturers at most, but it's the idea

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator

@howmakewood said:
@horgen said:
@howmakewood said:

ofc not, and I'd wager the stock cooler cost a few bucks for the manufacturers at most, but it's the idea

Also increased shipping costs for them.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@GummiRaccoon said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@Articuno76 said:

Already bought this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045

Jesus, with heatsinks like that, who the hell needs water cooling?

MdBrOtha04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MdBrOtha04
Member since 2003 • 1828 Posts

Asus ROG Crosshair VI has the mounting holes for AM3+ socket coolers.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

lol who uses stock coolers anyways

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Well cmon. He's on a budget. Buying AMD...........coolers are too expensive! :D

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GummiRaccoon

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@GummiRaccoon said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@Articuno76 said:

Jesus, with heatsinks like that, who the hell needs water cooling?

yeah exactly, and you don't accidentally water all over your parts.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Spends 1800$ on i7 6950X gets stock Intel cooler :(

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#30 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

If you're looking at spending a few hundred dollars on a CPU, then $30-50 more dollars on a good cooler shouldn't break the bank.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Funny they've been working for me just fine the past decade...

Actually have had more problems with the aftermarket ones.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

If you're looking at spending a few hundred dollars on a CPU, then $30-50 more dollars on a good cooler shouldn't break the bank.

I don't think that's really the point, however; the two are a pair, they go hand in hand. That's like getting a pair of shoes and there being no laces. It's like "WTF? You serious? At least give me some dental floss or SOMETHING man!" Or buying a sports car and there being no tires because "Oh, it's a sports car, you're supposed to buy your own performance tires separate, don't you know that?"

I'd be pissed if my CPU showed up and there was no stock cooler, then I have to wait another few days for one to show up in the mail.

This is doubly true since, historically, AMD has generally been for the budget-minded customer who probably doesn't want to spend extra on a cooler; now they're selling a product and expecting them to spend another 10+% on a cooler?

Sorry not trying to make a big deal out of this lol, I'm totally still on board with Ryzen, this is just super disappointing and surprising.

*With that said, if this is how they were able to make such a competitively priced product, I suppose I can support the absence of a stock cooler *shrug*

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@mrbojangles25 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Funny they've been working for me just fine the past decade...

Actually have had more problems with the aftermarket ones.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I don't think that's really the point, however; the two are a pair, they go hand in hand. That's like getting a pair of shoes and there being no laces. It's like "WTF? You serious? At least give me some dental floss or SOMETHING man!" Or buying a sports car and there being no tires because "Oh, it's a sports car, you're supposed to buy your own performance tires separate, don't you know that?"

I'd be pissed if my CPU showed up and there was no stock cooler, then I have to wait another few days for one to show up in the mail.

This is doubly true since, historically, AMD has generally been for the budget-minded customer who probably doesn't want to spend extra on a cooler; now they're selling a product and expecting them to spend another 10+% on a cooler?

Sorry not trying to make a big deal out of this lol, I'm totally still on board with Ryzen, this is just super disappointing and surprising.

*With that said, if this is how they were able to make such a competitively priced product, I suppose I can support the absence of a stock cooler *shrug*

Pretty much. I like to buy a CPU, and just pop the stock cooler on and be on my way. Plus, I HATE those giant oversized coolers that people always recommend, most of them barely have enough clearance for even full towers. Like my current PC, my brother talked me into buying the Hyper 212 Evo for my FX-8320, and it pushes against the side panel. Plus I do not like replacing the brackets.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY5BC4478

I will be buying this for my 1800X, and see how it performs, I like small coolers.