So my WoW account got hacked... twice.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Last night I got an email from Blizzard saying my account had been terminated, and as I usually do with any email from "Blizzard" I assumed it was a phishing scam. But, it was marked with a trusted sender icon, so I was a little worried. Reading into it I had been banned for buying/selling gold (which I've never done in the 6+ years my account has been active). Apparently my account had been hacked and all my characters stripped, with many realm transfers and faction changes made to a credit card in my name (which doesn't exist).

Blizzard support was awesome and restored all my things within two hours (on a saturday night!)

Fast forward to a half hour ago when I decide to try logging in and checking my status on Battle.net. My password doesn't work. I reset it, and lo-and-behold there are many new charges from this morning on yet another fake credit card in my name. Logging in, my high level characters are deleted and the cheeky bastard who did it all created a character on my main server named "Thanx". Ugh.

It seems that when my information was stolen I was logging in at a friend's house, and because of Blizzard's new system that requires you to change your password whenever you log in at a new location (and enter the answer to your secret question) they seem to have gotten the answer to that almighty question (which I can't figure out how to change just yet).I've asked that my account be locked until I get the Blizzard Authenticator I ordered.

Anyone else got horror stories to share?

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

I've lost my whole Battle.net account and I've only recovered it recently ( about six months after it was disabled ).

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Nope, no horror stories here, the most "bad luck" I had was with the hacking wave, nothing happened but I had to change my password for the Codemasters website, for EVE, HoN, etc.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Ran a good AV and never clicked on a keylogger link or site, never been hacked in 5 years of WoW, be more careful what you go on and click on, especially E Mails.
middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

All I have to say is get an authenticator.

deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

middle-earth88

this

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Emraldo

Ran a good AV and never clicked on a keylogger link or site, never been hacked in 5 years of WoW, be more careful what you go on and click on, especially E Mails.V4LENT1NE

I do run an excellent anti-virus (avast!) every time my computer is on, and am very careful with what I visit online. As I said, I hadn't been hacked in over 6 years of WoW.

middle-earth88

As I said, I asked for my account to be locked until the Authenticator I ordered arrives.

Kubatovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kubatovic
Member since 2011 • 29 Posts
my gmail got hacked, but i got notified by SMS and changed my pass :)
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Emraldo

Well man. My friend had been having good fun with his girlfriend for over a year. Every day, btw. Now it finally happened.

TailBlood

lolwut?

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I have never had an account of any sort hacked in all my 17 years of computing.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Your friend probably had keylogger on his computer... I've not had my account hacked, and 7 people have my info.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts
I doubt you were actually 'hacked' - I mean, it's more likely that you entered your details into a dodgy site, or you've got a keylogger on your computer. And what is this Blizzard Authenticator I keep hearing about? Are they actually selling you something that they really should be ensuring for free? Because that's...actually a pretty funny move on Blizzard-vision's part. :P
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Never had my Battle.net account hacked, but my Steam account did get hacked once. Valve got it back to me in an hour. Gotta love awesome customer support.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

I doubt you were actually 'hacked' - I mean, it's more likely that you entered your details into a dodgy site, or you've got a keylogger on your computer.

And what is this Blizzard Authenticator I keep hearing about? Are they actually selling you something that they really should be ensuring for free? Because that's...actually a pretty funny move on Blizzard-vision's part. :P

Planeforger
I think it's just the little key-chain authenticator that you buy, there's a free app for phones, and a tedious call in authentication system... I wouldn't really know from experience if it's free, I just don't give dodgy people my info and keep my computer clean, an authenticator would just be useless tedium, but judging from the language on the sight, it is.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

I doubt you were actually 'hacked' - I mean, it's more likely that you entered your details into a dodgy site, or you've got a keylogger on your computer.

And what is this Blizzard Authenticator I keep hearing about? Are they actually selling you something that they really should be ensuring for free? Because that's...actually a pretty funny move on Blizzard-vision's part. :P

Inconsistancy

I think it's just the little key-chain authenticator that you buy, there's a free app for phones, and a tedious call in authentication system... I wouldn't really know from experience if it's free, I just don't give dodgy people my info and keep my computer clean, an authenticator would just be useless tedium, but judging from the language on the sight, it is.

The apps are free but the key-chain authenticator costs $6.50. Kinda understandable, but also kinda terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Never had my WoW or EVE accounts hacked. Mind you I don't play either of them anymore.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

Anyone else with a horror story ?

Well some might say ever playing an mmorpg is a horror story. I wish I never would have bothered.

DeViLzzz

I agree. I wish I never would have gotten into Wow, for the 2 weeks I was in it. It was so boring and repetative.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Last night I got an email from Blizzard saying my account had been terminated, and as I usually do with any email from "Blizzard" I assumed it was a phishing scam. But, it was marked with a trusted sender icon, so I was a little worried. Reading into it I had been banned for buying/selling gold (which I've never done in the 6+ years my account has been active). Apparently my account had been hacked and all my characters stripped, with many realm transfers and faction changes made to a credit card in my name (which doesn't exist).

Blizzard support was awesome and restored all my things within two hours (on a saturday night!)

Fast forward to a half hour ago when I decide to try logging in and checking my status on Battle.net. My password doesn't work. I reset it, and lo-and-behold there are many new charges from this morning on yet another fake credit card in my name. Logging in, my high level characters are deleted and the cheeky bastard who did it all created a character on my main server named "Thanx". Ugh.

It seems that when my information was stolen I was logging in at a friend's house, and because of Blizzard's new system that requires you to change your password whenever you log in at a new location (and enter the answer to your secret question) they seem to have gotten the answer to that almighty question (which I can't figure out how to change just yet).I've asked that my account be locked until I get the Blizzard Authenticator I ordered.

Anyone else got horror stories to share?

Emraldo
Noooooooo, its the end of the world ... of warcraft! lol
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I don't know how people who have an anti-virus manage to get their account hacked. I've never once had it hijacked in my 6 years of playing and I refuse to buy an authenticator.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

I got hacked when Blizzard told me to change my password because i logged onto another computer. I changed my password then i got hacked....