Sleeping Dogs sometimes running slow in my powerful system!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts

I'm getting low frame rates (less than 30) sometimes in Sleeping Dogs. The slow downs happen mostly in daylight in busy areas and the lowest frame rate I experience in this game was when I was driving on the bridge towards the downtown during daylight and it looked like 15 fps to me. I almost get a constant 60 fps during night though in this game. I'm running a system with an i7-3820, 16GB DDR3-1600, with a GTX 680 4GB. Will upgrading to an i7- 3930k improve Sleeping Dogs performance in the busy areas durning daylight? Will upgrading to SLI improve performance in those situations I'm mentioning or is it CPU bound in those situations I'm mentioning? I have everything at max except I have antialising set to normal and resolution is set to 1920x1080 and I have 16x AF set in the Nvidia control panel. I'm also using the DLC high resolution textures for this game.

Whiteknight19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Whiteknight19
Member since 2003 • 1303 Posts

I'm getting low frame rates (less than 30) sometimes in Sleeping Dogs. The slow downs happen mostly in daylight in busy areas and the lowest frame rate I experience in this game was when I was driving on the bridge towards the downtown during daylight and it looked like 15 fps to me. I almost get a constant 60 fps during night though in this game. I'm running a system with an i7-3820, 16GB DDR3-1600, with a GTX 680 4GB. Will upgrading to an i7- 3930k improve Sleeping Dogs performance in the busy areas durning daylight? Will upgrading to SLI improve performance in those situations I'm mentioning or is it CPU bound in those situations I'm mentioning? I have everything at max except I have antialising set to normal and resolution is set to 1920x1080 and I have 16x AF set in the Nvidia control panel. I'm also using the DLC high resolution textures for this game.

DJP3000

you want AA off

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

Whiteknight19

you want AA off

nope almost everyone gets drops to 30 during daytime driving! even on lowest settings it drops! game must have a memory leak. same thing was happening with deus ex hr then it got patched! all you can do is wait for better drivers or wait for a patch. oh and tc turn off the AF in your control panel i noticed it stuttered even worse with it on. iknow iknow it looks blurry with it off but the stuttering is even worse!

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

[QUOTE="Whiteknight19"]

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

rogelio22

you want AA off

nope almost everyone gets drops to 30 during daytime driving! even on lowest settings it drops! game must have a memory leak. same thing was happening with deus ex hr then it got patched! all you can do is wait for better drivers or wait for a patch. oh and tc turn off the AF in your control panel i noticed it stuttered even worse with it on. iknow iknow it looks blurry with it off but the stuttering is even worse!

My game sometimes drops to 45 during driving around in the daytime, not very noticable though. What I noticed was some microstuttering happening sometimes while the fps were at solid 60 fps.

A bit annoying those. Didn't notice when I first got the game, maybe some new driver or game update caused them? I'm not sure.

I own a 3930K overclocked to 4 Ghz btw.

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts
That's really weird that you would experience such debilitating frame drops; I have a less torque'd system that can run this game fine around 40-60. I consider anything above 35 to be satisfactory, really. Maybe it's because Sleeping Dogs is optimized specifically for ATI cards?
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

The game has performance issues all over. My system is pretty decent too and I get some bad performance here and there. Definitely when driving round it dips a lot and as ben said there is stuttering which makes it seem like it's running lower than it really is sometimes. I could be at 45 but it feels like 30 cos of the stuttering.

Also the camera has this shaking mechanic when driving fast that also makes the frames seem bad and I wish I could remove it

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Dont use the highest AA setting it kills performance

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Hm. Quite weird. Definitely don't waste money upgrading your CPU, though. That's not the problem, and your CPU is already a beast.

DJP3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DJP3000
Member since 2010 • 293 Posts

I decided to use Fraps to test the frame rate in Sleeping Dogs. Where it looked like it slowed down during the daylight it was actually running at around 50 fps. At the bridge that I complained about the slowdown, it was actually running at 49 fps when I drove back but there was not as much traffic as before at it seemed a bit smoother. Lowest that was actually reported by Fraps was 43 fps. I also have adaptive vsync enabled. I thought it was running worse than what was displayed by Fraps.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_bi99man

I decided to use Fraps to test the frame rate in Sleeping Dogs. Where it looked like it slowed down during the daylight it was actually running at around 50 fps. At the bridge that I complained about the slowdown, it was actually running at 49 fps when I drove back but there was not as much traffic as before at it seemed a bit smoother. Lowest that was actually reported by Fraps was 43 fps. I also have adaptive vsync enabled. I thought it was running worse than what was displayed by Fraps.

DJP3000

You should turn off v sync, unless it constantly runs super fast without it, giving you horrible screen tearing.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

the_bi99man

You should turn off v sync, unless it constantly runs super fast without it, giving you horrible screen tearing.

yeah, v-sync is needed only when there's screen tearing.

just turn Quality AA to High or Normal. in more populated areas, the framerate will go a bit lower, but I don't think it'll affect gameplay much.

the game is very playable @ framerate above 40, or even 30+; unless all you want is benchmark numbers, then upgrade your rig the top of the tops and see what you'll get.

or you experience constant random stuttering, which may occur due to other reasons than your core system set-up (such as background programs and driver issues)

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

teardropmina

yeah, v-sync is needed only when there's screen tearing.

just turn Quality AA to High or Normal. in more populated areas, the framerate will go a bit lower, but I don't think it'll affect gameplay much.

the game is very playable @ framerate above 40, or even 30+; unless all you want is benchmark numbers, then upgrade your rig the top of the tops and see what you'll get.

or you experience constant random stuttering, which may occur due to other reasons than your core system set-up (such as background programs and driver issues)

Good advice. I played Sleeping Dogs on my laptop, with a dual core i5, HD4670 1gb, and 4 gigs of RAM. It's quite playable at 30 ish frames, even dipping a little less than that. I had it at minimum settings, 1920x1080 res, and played the whole game with an average framerate of probably 27-30. It felt good enough, for the most part. Later on, I turned the res down to 1280x720, and got buttery smooth 50-60 fps. Still looked decent, too.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

DJP3000

If it's gpu extensive it certainly will!

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

[QUOTE="Whiteknight19"]

[QUOTE="DJP3000"]

rogelio22

you want AA off

I doubt its a memory leak. It would be an issue if your memory usage is close to maxed out during daytime driving which you can easily check

I'm guessing its just a very demanding game, lots of lighting and effects going on