Shouldn't developers reduce cost of games in poor countries to reduce piracy?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

As your probabaly know, piracy rate is highest in poor countries. This is mainly because people in these poor countries can't afford to buy legitimate games due to high cost. I'll take my country, India, as an example. India is a very poor and underdeveloped country. Here, the standard cost of a game is around Rupees 3000, which is equivalent to around 60 US dollars when converted directly. I know, for most people of US, $60 is peanuts. But here, the equivalent rupees 3000 is half their monthly salary for the common man. So legitimate games are out of reach for the common man here. This scenario is true for most third world countries. You may say third world countries aren't really the market for games, but wouldn't it be better if the game publishers priced their games lower in these countries? That would hugely reduce the amount of piracy, and the loss of revenue for the developers/publishers. What I mean to say is, games need to be priced according to the economy of the country, rather than the fixed standard of 60USD.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

They do this, but it's only Russia, China and Korea.

I personally have no problem paying for my games, but I'm in Europe in a country where the usual European 60 *euro sign that is broken* is pretty much 1/3 of the average wage (average, not minimum).

Corporate greed in just two words, but in a perfect world, prices would be altered to fit the economy of each country.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Yes they should, as you said 60 dollars in the US is really nothing more than gas money, anyone can make that in about a day.

EA does it for India to, most of there games only come out to 30 dollars USD

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Many games aren't available at all in some third world countries and so the only way they can play them is through piracy.

It also depends on the political stance of the country. Before the war on terror, movies were banned in Afghanistan and they only way they could be seen was through pirate copies coming in from places like India and watched in basements were the authorities couldn't see what they were doing. Those in charge were terrified of the influence western entertainment would have on their own culture.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Video games should be for the US and UK only.

*EDIT* That was indeed, a joke

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They do to an extent, but a lot of the piracy stems from poor localization. Valve noticed at even at lower prices, the russians were priating HL2 like mad. After some research, they found out that the Russians were pirating a custom version of HL2 which had much more accurate translations and better VOs.

Valve put more empahsis on making good localization of all of their games and noticed a sharp drop in piracy after.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Starshine_M2A2

HyperWarlock
Why?
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

HyperWarlock

lol. Really?

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funkyzoom

They do to an extent, but a lot of the piracy stems from poor localization. Valve noticed at even at lower prices, the russians were priating HL2 like mad. After some research, they found out that the Russians were pirating a custom version of HL2 which had much more accurate translations and better VOs.

Valve put more empahsis on making good localization of all of their games and noticed a sharp drop in piracy after.

Wasdie

Yeah, Valve is one company I really respect. Their games are priced quite low here in India. But Activision and Blizzard games are exorbitantly priced.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
well. if you're selling a game that will run only on high end pcs, you wouldn't expect the common man to be able to play it anyway. i have a high end pc and for me consoles are expensive because of the video game price (the last 3 months i have spent most time on f2p games like lol and tribes ascend) and the fact that a console doesn't do much else for me (i dont care for netflix bluray or whatever). f2p is the future.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funkyzoom

HyperWarlock

Oh...says who? I'm neither from UK nor US, but I'm amuch better gamer than the average UK/US gamer. Stop being so narrow minded.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

sunil_u123

Oh...says who? I'm neither from UK nor US, but I'm amuch better gamer than the average UK/US gamer. Stop being so narrow minded.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

[QUOTE="sunil_u123"]

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

bloodling

Yeah, I was joking.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="sunil_u123"]

HyperWarlock

Yeah, I was joking.

Oops! Sorry, i didn't realize it. It should have been obvious you wer joking, after all your profile image is of Joker! :P

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
or just lower gaem prices everywhre i actually buy games when they're cheap
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
If they can't afford the games then how in the hell can they possibly afford the hardware those games run on?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
it's not that simple. in the case of brazil, for example, the high prices are caused by high taxes and customs fees, which makes it an unfriendly environment to manufacture, and raises import costs a lot.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#20 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

They do this, but it's only Russia, China and Korea.

DanielDust

India too.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Starshine_M2A2

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="sunil_u123"]

HyperWarlock

Yeah, I was joking.

Dumb thing to say, either way...
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funkyzoom

If they can't afford the games then how in the hell can they possibly afford the hardware those games run on?SKaREO

That problem is not there, because we in India usually have systems that just meet or exceed the minimum requirements. Hence we play on low or medium settings. The monster systems that you people from developed countries own, are just a distant dream for us.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
-Not all games are $60. -You assume $60 is no big deal for everyone in the U.S. -If $60 is half a month's salary in India, the last thing you should be concerned with is gaming.
NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

the problem is if they lowered the price in the poor countries we'd all spoof that we live there and buy the $0.75 American blops 2.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

-Not all games are $60. -You assume $60 is no big deal for everyone in the U.S. -If $60 is half a month's salary in India, the last thing you should be concerned with is gaming.JKnaperek

It's not like goods are priced like in the US you know :roll:

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#26 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Believe me, pirates won't buy games unless they're like 3-6 euros. And that's impossible.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Games are often priced at $60 because the developer needs to sell them at that price in order to make money. It doesn't make sense for them to sell the games in any country for a loss.

I hear that India has a good supply of educated individuals in IT and software development. I wish more Indian entrepreneurs would start game development companies. It may be a cultural issue. Maybe not enough Indian software developers are interested in creating computer games. It sounds like it could be an untapped land of game development to me.

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

If you don't mind region lock because people will import the hell out of it.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I think it is not profitable. $60 sure they are making $30-40 off of every retail sale. So, I guess the minimum would be $20 to break even, maybe $30 for a small profit. I think the game companies think they can't compete with the piracy even with low prices. In many of those countries, they don't do any policing of piracy. A $10 profit is not worth all the effort.

There is a solution to this with free to play. I think in the future more and more games will be free to play with either ads on loading screens/billboards or in-game microtransaction shops.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I dont know, why dont they reduce the price of the cheap ass pc prots instead of selling them for 60 bucks? Pc games are 50 bucks not 60, i am looking at you blizzard. Why dont they spend some time to fix their damn gaming rather spending thousands of dollars for copy protection that doesnt work. In the end the publishers are corperate morons that as much connected to the typical consumer as a RTS player to a single gathering unit. i doubt they lower the price for those countries due to piracy, they do it to much their economy and their currency. Eg: stalker sold 2 million, but not in the areas that thq wanted it to, so they dropped it.
WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WizardGlass
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

As your probabaly know, piracy rate is highest in poor countries. This is mainly because people in these poor countries can't afford to buy legitimate games due to high cost. I'll take my country, India, as an example. India is a very poor and underdeveloped country. Here, the standard cost of a game is around Rupees 3000, which is equivalent to around 60 US dollars when converted directly. I know, for most people of US, $60 is peanuts. But here, the equivalent rupees 3000 is half their monthly salary for the common man. So legitimate games are out of reach for the common man here. This scenario is true for most third world countries. You may say third world countries aren't really the market for games, but wouldn't it be better if the game publishers priced their games lower in these countries? That would hugely reduce the amount of piracy, and the loss of revenue for the developers/publishers. What I mean to say is, games need to be priced according to the economy of the country, rather than the fixed standard of 60USD.

sunil_u123
nope. if you are poor, you cant buy games. simple as that. nobody owes you anything. if you want to buy games, make more money. if you cant make more money where you are, move to were you can. nobody is "trapped" anywhere... they just like to think they are. even someone with zero dollars can hitchhike to a new location.... or new COUNTRY depending on where you live. change your situation, stop being a victim.
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts

wat are u talking about ?

PC games are very cheap in india even more than Valve's steam sale :P

mafia97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mafia97
Member since 2009 • 372 Posts

sunil_u123
Bro pc games here in india cost rs999 only..i live in india too,and talking about rs2500 console games ,they can be bought by collecting money and waiting a few months. and a person having access to games might not have just rs 6000 salary,or the person having rs6000 salary might not have interest in games,because he has other things to worry about.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

[QUOTE="sunil_u123"]

WizardGlass

nope. if you are poor, you cant buy games. simple as that. nobody owes you anything. if you want to buy games, make more money. if you cant make more money where you are, move to were you can. nobody is "trapped" anywhere... they just like to think they are. even someone with zero dollars can hitchhike to a new location.... or new COUNTRY depending on where you live. change your situation, stop being a victim.

That is just an idiotic thing to say. I dont expect you to understand why, since you wrote it.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

I think the main reason that games are not massively reduced in poorer countries is mainly because theres nothing stopping people importing the games back to wealthier countries and just reselling them. You already see it often enough where people are reselling Russian keys online.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="sunil_u123"]

mafia97

Bro pc games here in india cost rs999 only..i live in india too,and talking about rs2500 console games ,they can be bought by collecting money and waiting a few months. and a person having access to games might not have just rs 6000 salary,or the person having rs6000 salary might not have interest in games,because he has other things to worry about.

Huh? 999? Check out Diablo 3. it costs 3500. And Modern Warfare 3 costs 3000.

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

I am from Bosnia my country have very very bad economy after USA stole all resources and money after war 1995 ,.... So averge payment for job here is like 400 $. Price for normal new game is like 50 + - .....

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts

[QUOTE="mafia97"][QUOTE="sunil_u123"]

sunil_u123

Huh? 999? Check out Diablo 3. it costs 3500. And Modern Warfare 3 costs 3000.

that's greedy activision :P
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts
even if they reduce the price, the seller will definitly markup the price. happened to me, some places sells a game at absurd prices
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#43 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I agree it would be a good business move to lower the prices of games as needed, but this notion that it is corporate greed causing piracy is absurd.

Blaming piracy on the corporations for the way they price games is a copout crooks who pirate games use to justify it. People pirate games because they can and because they lack morals or they simply don't see it as a crime because they justified it (see first sentence). I know plenty of people who pirate music, movies, and games who have more than enough income to purchase them, they just choose to steal instead. You cannot justify stealing whenever you don't agree with the price tag, your power as a consumer lies with not making the purchase and the company not getting your hard earned money.

If you are too poor to buy a $50 game you should not have a PC, you should not have the internet,(not saying you don't deserve these things, saying you should not be able to afford this either) and you should probably be spending your spare time figuring out a way to not be poor instead of playing games. I fail to see any logic in this argument at all.

Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 i_saw_a_mudcrab
Member since 2007 • 1015 Posts

nah they'd rather whine that piracy is killing their sales

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

It's sad that the DD and retails price their games like crazy ... 60 bucks in US and 50-60 euro in Europe where some countries have a poor economic system and thus people can't waste money on games thus stimulating piracy. Another problem is the publishers - Ubisoft and EA are being plain terrible with their marketing strategy. And then there is M$ which only cares about the countries with high income for the households and thus being able to spend money on their products, and for those that do not meet their $tandard - piracy is developed due to the terrible terms and conditions the publishers put on the products ...

And after all this piracy what happens ? Devs have no revenue from their hard work due to the brilliant strategy of their publishers and distributors ...

And who is to blame ? Of course the devs and publishers will blaim the people ... but are the "customers" that want the product really guilty, or are they simply victims of the greed of those big fish ?

Every time I check a game store or some DD like Steam, GMG and etc. I always think about "are people in poor countries actually able to afford this ?" ... just looking at the prices and that thought are enough to make me show a sad panda face :(

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 N30F3N1X

Believe me, pirates won't buy games unless they're like 3-6 euros. And that's impossible.

SovietsUnited

"Believe me"?

Are you one?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 N30F3N1X

nope. if you are poor, you cant buy games. simple as that. nobody owes you anything. if you want to buy games, make more money. if you cant make more money where you are, move to were you can. nobody is "trapped" anywhere... they just like to think they are. even someone with zero dollars can hitchhike to a new location.... or new COUNTRY depending on where you live. change your situation, stop being a victim.WizardGlass

You know, it's sh!t people like you who brought Bobcat Goldthwait to film God Bless America.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
They should... But they wont. First of all piracy is the perfect thing to blame if you fail at making a game or if you tell the publishers you will sell a billion copies and fail to do so. Then we have the problem that people would buy games in said countries and im not only talking about private people im talking about retailers buying the games for the 5$ and then selling them for a higher price. So unless they make the game bound by country... Yeah. Anyway they SHOULD reduce prices overall and stop wasting so much money on the "latest and greatest movie star to have as a voice actor" and stop throwing 2-5 times the dev cost on marketing. It would help bring the cost for making games down and you could sell games cheaper (not that they would do this even if they lower the dev cost as they would still continue to sell games for 50-60$ ;))
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

They can't do that extensively in western countries for 2 simple reasons: proxies, friends abroad.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

actually i agree with the arguement. games should be cheaper in 3rd world countires like s. africa, uzbekistan, and ukraine. thatd be pretty smart.