Should we oust the term consolisation? (Boll Poll)

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

The lines have been drawn in the sand.

Would people like to banish the word consolisation? Lets face it. Its a pretty dumb phrase. It doesn't roll of your tongue like others! Egalitarian!

Whenever someone uses it or criticises it we can just refer to this amendment signed by the board! (Whatever the result)

Make your choice!

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Get rid of it.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

I personally hate it. It's used by a bunch of PC gamers who want something to complain about while feeling superior at the same time. This is coming from a guy who has recently converted to PC gaming, I thought the Xbox Live community was bad, but the PC gaming community is absolutely toxic.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This is the worst term ever since the trend facepalming started.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts
Consolization is a very valid term.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts
Consolization is a very valid term.Remmib
Coming from someone with " PC gaming is the only gaming. " in his sig i'm not surprised. Ignorance is bliss or so they say.
urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

I voted no lets keep it yah :lol:

Great spelling, favorite aussie stuff, cricket team when waugh brothers played (steve waugh is one of the best), wolf creek, abbie cornish...

back on topic nah lets keep it.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Its such a stupid term and its getting sad how much its being tossed around. Its getting to the point where every Multiplat is getting slapped with the term "consolized" Hell People were even calling games like Bad Company 2 consolized :?. People need to understand the difference between a multiplat game and a "consolized" one,
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
When devs make a game more like a console game when PC games have a better way of doing things when it comes to that sort of game then there needs to be a word that conveys that negative. I have a PS3 and certain games belong on PS3 and I have a PC and certain builds of games belong on PC. Term doesnt need to go away.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Keep it. Who the hat fits -- let them wear it.

Although, I'll happily concede that it probably does get tossed around a bit too much and sometimes maybe even undeservedly so. That's why I personally prefer the term, "Dumbed Down!" :D

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grodus5

Keep it. Who the hat fits -- let them wear it.

Although, I'll happily concede that it probably does get tossed around a bit too much and sometimes maybe even undeservedly so. That's why I personally prefer the term, "Dumbed Down!" :D

-wildflower-
Dumbed down is far worse in my opinion. Even more overused, especially because people can't seem to distinguish the difference between dumbed down and streamlined.
Botodile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Botodile
Member since 2010 • 432 Posts

Get rid of it!

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
A real PC poll would have 3 or more options, clearly this thread has been consolised. I was an early adopter of the term back in the days of Invisible War, it has recently become very popular and is frequently overused. Games are multiplatform these days and like it or not the consoles outnumber the PC. The games are always going to be tailored more to the popular platforms. I think there are definitely things that should be change to fit with PC but they often don't make it at launch do to publishers wanting to release all versions at the same time. I think Crysis 2 and the dx11 patch is probably a decent example of this. Consolisation is also used to indicate the game is "dumber" or "easier" when really all this probably reflects is the increasing popularity of video games and appealing to a wider audience on all platforms. Internet magnifies emotions and quickly makes minor stuff spiral out of control.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

A real PC poll would have 3 or more options, clearly this thread has been consolised. I was an early adopter of the term back in the days of Invisible War, it has recently become very popular and is frequently overused. Games are multiplatform these days and like it or not the consoles outnumber the PC. The games are always going to be tailored more to the popular platforms. I think there are definitely things that should be change to fit with PC but they often don't make it at launch do to publishers wanting to release all versions at the same time. I think Crysis 2 and the dx11 patch is probably a decent example of this. Consolisation is also used to indicate the game is "dumber" or "easier" when really all this probably reflects is the increasing popularity of video games and appealing to a wider audience on all platforms. Internet magnifies emotions and quickly makes minor stuff spiral out of control.nutcrackr
I'm putting you in my will. You can have my pork pie hat. Although we might not agree with the direction sometimes, we do have to acknowledge that the field is yes indeed larger than ever.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

No, I think this term can be used as many times as it likes. Take for example crysis 2, the game obviously didnt pan out the same if it were an pc exclusive like dx11 at launch. Battlefield series dumbing down to 32players as oppose to its pc-exclusive predecssors 64 players, though is a spinoff, but is still made by dice.

Do we need mw2 p2p reminder :rolleyes: ?

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

Consolization is a real crisis. Why hide it? It's happening everyday! People must know!

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Dumbed down is far worse in my opinion. Even more overused, especially because people can't seem to distinguish the difference between dumbed down and streamlined.Grodus5

Then there are those who might argue that the two terms (dumbed down and stream-lined) are virtually interchangeable, synonymous even. Opinions differ. One thing is certain though, the landscape is changing and some people are okay with it while others aren't.

/shrug

C'est la vie.

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

I personally hate it. It's used by a bunch of PC gamers who want something to complain about while feeling superior at the same time. This is coming from a guy who has recently converted to PC gaming, I thought the Xbox Live community was bad, but the PC gaming community is absolutely toxic.

Grodus5
The fact that you recently "converted" is probably why the effects of consolization are not obvious to you.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

While the term does have practical applications it has been overused to the point of it losing all sway.

For the most part I think problems with a game should be criticised as being an issue with the individual game itself, not a byproduct of multiplatform development. There are lots of multiplats that have just as many features as a good PC exclusive. Just look at Far Cry 2, Just Cause 2 or Metro 2033.

Perhaps the term 'developer lazified' would be more accurate for describing scenarios where PC versions of games include impractical UI's and control schemes that are similar to what works on consoles. There is nothing stopping a dev from making seperate a UI etc. that works better with PC's.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Yes. PC Games = Console Games. There is no difference.
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

Englando_IV

The fact that you recently "converted" is probably why the effects of consolization are not obvious to you.

Yea, Grodus5, you have no idea what consoles have done to Pc games. Its not a fact about being superior. Its the fact of getting stuck with **** simple games.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grodus5

[QUOTE="Grodus5"] Dumbed down is far worse in my opinion. Even more overused, especially because people can't seem to distinguish the difference between dumbed down and streamlined.-wildflower-

Then there are those who might argue that the two terms (dumbed down and stream-lined) are virtually interchangeable, synonymous even. Opinions differ. One thing is certain though, the landscape is changing and some people are okay with it while others aren't.

/shrug

C'est la vie.

Dumbing and streamlining are similar, yes, but the philosophy behind them is different. Streamlining, for example, is cutting out the middleman. If the same effect can be reached with less confusion, then why should the confusion be present? This is removing an attribute that's only purpose to to fuel a different attribute. Dumbing down is removing something for the sake of removing something. That's more so Fable, where Fable started out with at least semi legitimate RPG elements and has degraded into nothing more than a hack and slash. In this regard the essence of the RPG was not kept in the transition, whereas if it were streamlined, the same effect would be kept, minus some of the more intricate behind the scenes work.
NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

Its such a stupid term and its getting sad how much its being tossed around. Its getting to the point where every Multiplat is getting slapped with the term "consolized" Hell People were even calling games like Bad Company 2 consolized :?. People need to understand the difference between a multiplat game and a "consolized" one,gmaster456

In a way it was if you compare it to bf2 and it being overly dependent on the cpu

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grodus5

[QUOTE="Englando_IV"][QUOTE="Grodus5"]

morrowindnic

Yea, Grodus5, you have no idea what consoles have done to Pc games. Its not a fact about being superior. Its the fact of getting stuck with **** simple games.

Perhaps the reason why this so called "consolazation" doesn't faze me is because I play games to have fun? Or maybe because I don't make a big deal out of nothing? The industry has changed quite a lot, to be sure. Also, please don't start with the "recently converted" stuff. I was not clear in what I said. Computer gaming was always a side sort of deal for me, but I mainly played my consoles and handhelds because of money issues. I've played a good majority of the greats of PC gaming and always make the effort to seek out the ones that I haven't, but I am not as unlearned as I originally implied.
Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

[QUOTE="morrowindnic"]

[QUOTE="Englando_IV"] The fact that you recently "converted" is probably why the effects of consolization are not obvious to you.Grodus5

Perhaps the reason why this so called "consolazation" doesn't faze me is because I play games to have fun? Or maybe because I don't make a big deal out of nothing? .

Oh, It's fine if it simply doesn't bother you. But your earlier posts implied that consolization didn't exist as a phenomena, which is what I disagree with.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
How else can you define to dumbing down of a game in order for it to work on consoles?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

how else would you describe a game ruined by the need for developers to technelogically cripple it in order to get it to function right on consoles?

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I'm putting you in my will. You can have my pork pie hat. Although we might not agree with the direction sometimes, we do have to acknowledge that the field is yes indeed larger than ever.

biggest_loser

I wouldn't say Will too loudly around here. There's a bounty on yer head! Mafia 2 fans are out for blood.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Yes, it's useless. No one even knows what it means, they just shout it out when there's something they don't like. A lot of the effects of "consolization" are main features of some of the older classic games.
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

People overuse it and usually overblow situations but the fact of the matter is consolization is real thing. And the term should stay. People just need to know how to use it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Was this term used last gen, and the gen before that, and that, and it goes on.

:P

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

mitu123

It wasn't because consolization wasn't a problem until this generation.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

GummiRaccoon

Consolization still isn't a problem.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

While the term does have practical applications it has been overused to the point of it losing all sway.

For the most part I think problems with a game should be criticised as being an issue with the individual game itself, not a byproduct of multiplatform development. There are lots of multiplats that have just as many features as a good PC exclusive. Just look at Far Cry 2, Just Cause 2 or Metro 2033.

Perhaps the term 'developer lazified' would be more accurate for describing scenarios where PC versions of games include impractical UI's and control schemes that are similar to what works on consoles. There is nothing stopping a dev from making seperate a UI etc. that works better with PC's.

with_teeth26

I agree with your balanced point of view.

To be honest, console gaming got me into pc gaming. NES, Sega, PS1, PS2...there were a lot of fun games. Then I discovered pc gaming and realized I loved having the extra options to maximize/customize aspects of various games.

That said, here is a perfect example of s**** consolization; The difference between Deus Ex and Invisible War.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Perhaps the term 'developer lazified' would be more accurate for describing scenarios where PC versions of games include impractical UI's and control schemes that are similar to what works on consoles. There is nothing stopping a dev from making seperate a UI etc. that works better with PC's.with_teeth26
...aside from a lack of time, money, and having their priorities on other things. :P But i agree with you. "Consolization" is a useful term when used right, but far too often it's used as a blanket label for what actually means "disappointing", and over-using a word in the end makes it useless.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

i5750at4Ghz

I guess if you aren't used to games getting better and better and more graphically advanced continually, I could see how you don't see consolization being a problem.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

I guess if you aren't used to games getting better and better and more graphically advanced continually, I could see how you don't see consolization being a problem.

I've been PC gaming since the mid 90's. PC gaming is as strong as it's ever been, if not strong. Graphically it's amazing. The gap between a PC and Console games hasn't been this big in any other generation. "Consolization" is only a problem if you decide you want to make it one. Nothing about PC gaming is any worse than in the past, in fact for the most part it's much better.
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

I vote we keep it.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Its such a stupid term and its getting sad how much its being tossed around. Its getting to the point where every Multiplat is getting slapped with the term "consolized" Hell People were even calling games like Bad Company 2 consolized :?. People need to understand the difference between a multiplat game and a "consolized" one,gmaster456

Bad Company 2 was not planned for PC in the first place, the PC version was considered right after IW backstabbed PC gamers. What's surprising in calling it consolized? Are you confused?

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Dumbed down is far worse in my opinion. Even more overused, especially because people can't seem to distinguish the difference between dumbed down and streamlined.Grodus5

"Overused"?

So, going from The Elder Scrolls' stats system to "health, magicka and stamina as main stats" in Skyrim is streamlining, amirite? Nevermind all the self-entitled games that consider themselves RPGs while having RPG elements as a completely secondary afterthought, much like ME2.

Yes, it's useless. No one even knows what it means, they just shout it out when there's something they don't like. A lot of the effects of "consolization" are main features of some of the older classic games.guynamedbilly

Read paragraph above and tell me how the **** can you say that with a straight face.

Avatar image for Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Ikuto_Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ikuto_Tsukiyomi
Member since 2010 • 822 Posts

Its a legit term, so it should stay, but stay in moderation. throwing it out at everything and everyone and every little thing is just stupid.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Ditch it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I don't care for the term but people are misinterpreting it. Consoles aren't so much to blame. It's the gamers that developers are catering to, or adjusting to, so they could play the games they ship out to the market.
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
Just like the music industry... teens are the ones that control the industry. The average man works and barely plays games. The teens ride around in convertables on Fridays and pretty much are moulders of pop culture. Demon Souls is a clear example that theirs no such thing as consolization its just a term used when people find out there franchise is being made on a platform that that's weaker than their PC... just think about this for a second why is it that there's only 2-3 exclusive PC titles that look better than Uncharted 2?... Graphically speaking they can make stunning looking games on consoles and people saying that games are being dumbed down for consoles... well that's true but that's pretty much a supply and demand situation.
Wisely321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wisely321
Member since 2008 • 686 Posts

Theres nothing wrong with this term guys! (I think its quite creative too lol) The real problem is, it is overused by people, like almost every game that went from PC exclusive to multiplat. D:

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

No, because i enjoy the way console fanboys act when you say it. Especially since the word itself implies that a game needs to be changed for people who play consoles to understand and enjoy the game.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grodus5

[QUOTE="Grodus5"] Dumbed down is far worse in my opinion. Even more overused, especially because people can't seem to distinguish the difference between dumbed down and streamlined.Mograine

"Overused"?

So, going from The Elder Scrolls' stats system to "health, magicka and stamina as main stats" in Skyrim is streamlining, amirite? Nevermind all the self-entitled games that consider themselves RPGs while having RPG elements as a completely secondary afterthought, much like ME2.

You actually just proved my point, as indeed it is streamlining. Take a look at what the attributes in Elder Scrolls did in Oblivion:

Strength: Affects Weapon Damage, STAMINA, and Encumbrance
Agility: Affects Weapon Damage, and STAMINA
Endurance: Affects HEALTH and STAMINA
Intelligences: Affects MAGICKA
Willpower: Affects MAGICKA and STAMINA
Personality: Affects how people like you
Luck: Affects everything in such a small way it is mostly completely worthless

Weapon damage could easily be applied to the skills in weapons (although I agree they should've kept atleast strength and agility), Personality should just go into a skill like speechcraft, and luck should be burned in righteous fire. I don't know what to do about Encumbrance, actually, I haven't heard anything about its plans in Skyrim.

All the other effects? They're only purpose to to affect health, magicka, and stamina. That is the only purpose they serve, they don't serve any other purpose but to affect health, magicka, and stamina. Those are know their own attributes, they cut out the middleman while keeping the same effect, that, my friend, is called streamlining.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Call it what you will, it holds meaning. Complaining about it is pointless, though.