Should Multiplayer be sold separately?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 are both games with single player campaigns with multiplayer gameplay. While the multiplayer will including the standard deathmatches, team deathmatches, and capture the flag, the solo storyline is only 6-8 hrs long. Should the solo and multiplayer have an optional sold separately?

Sold separately as in Battlefield 3 multiplayer side could be bought for $50, the solo play $40, or $60 for all of it.

I do not like multiplayer and if I would get Modern Warfare 3 I would only get it for the campaign. Paying $60 for 8 hours is a little steep. However, if the game was sold at $40 for campaign I might actually consider on getting it.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Nope, no matter the game, I don't want that to happen. if you're not prepared to pay the price for CoD games, considering they go down in price extremely slow, then you just have to be careful for some good sales (they do go on sale from time to time, mostly retail tho, but even digital these days - since BO -)

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

That would be something COD would do.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
No, because you would end up with one game costing $49-$59 eventually.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

No would be another way to charge an arm and a leg for games...

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Delete this thread before EA or Activision see it!!

dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

Delete this thread before EA or Activision see it!!

QQabitmoar

HAHAHAHA oh god thanks for that joke.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I wouldn't say sold separately, but the OP is on to something.

It's very rare to have a game with good single player and good multiplayer. One element is often lacking. I'm hoping that in the future there are games that are more narrowly focused into that they want to focus more of their reinforces into one or the other rather than tacking on part on.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
No. SP - MP and "DLC"s should already be in the game.
Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

Games should come with everything in one single package including multiplayer, single player and ALL the content (none of this limited or preorder bonuses) or day one DLC.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Absolutely, and they shud charge 60$ for each with lotsa DLC on day 1

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
No... Why? Because the thing that would happen is that you would have to pay 100$ for the entire experience. Why? Look at DLC. Anyway dont give them any ideas... Hell there was even a guy that wished to sell games in "chapters" with a hour or two content in each one for like 10-15$ each O.o (note all in all it would turn out to be more then 100$ if you want the entire experience...
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

As long as the sum of the parts costs the same as the whole why not? How many people play cod online exclusively (or vice versa). Seems like a much better way to compete with resold copies then online passes.

Also for games released in chapters look at Sam and Max or the Half Life. episodes

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

No.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I agree with this 100%. I'm unable to play modern multiplayer games, because my internet connection is way too slow. In my country, very few can afford a fast net connection. Its totally out of question for the common man. I cannot play any multiplayer game beyond Counter Strike 1.6. So it makes sense to release single player and multi player parts separately, at least in countries where fast net connections are unaffordable for the common man.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Absolutely, and they shud charge 60$ for each with lotsa DLC on day 1

JigglyWiggly_
This is what we all know would be the result of that.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Honestly, I think it's a good idea. The proposal for how it would work could use some work. Very often someone is interested in only one of the game's components. Why not let consumers buy just that one component? The consumer can spend less money to get what they want, while the developers get more money (more people can afford to purchase one component than both). It's one of those things to me that sounds good in theory, but once applied to the real-world, developers would abuse the concept to make more money than they should (sort of like how they do already with DLC).
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

worst idea i've read in a long time

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Honestly, I think it's a good idea. The proposal for how it would work could use some work. Very often someone is interested in only one of the game's components. Why not let consumers buy just that one component? The consumer can spend less money to get what they want, while the developers get more money (more people can afford to purchase one component than both). It's one of those things to me that sounds good in theory, but once applied to the real-world, developers would abuse the concept to make more money than they should (sort of like how they do already with DLC).

KHAndAnime has a good point here. Lots of people can't afford to buy a game in it's full price but at the same time are only interested in the Single Player Campaign. For example I don't care and won't play the Mass Effect 3 MP when I get the game. It would have to be done very well though, without the devs trying to abuse the customer.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

No I don't think this is a good idea. Especially at the price points you brought up. If there is going to be a game with a short Campaign like BF3 but with no multi?? What's the point there's no replay value and is definitely not worth $40. Hell, even at $15 I'd question a game that short.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
THis is something for CoD and CoD alone.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#22 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. In fact for games like Call of Duty, they are almost built around it with separate exes for sp and mp. Charge 50 for the whole lot and split the single player and multiplayer. You'd pay slightly more if you bought them separate (e.g. for BF3 it would be $10 sp and $45 mp or $50 for both. It would also help publishers gauge player interest.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Sold separately as in Battlefield 3 multiplayer side could be bought for $50, the solo play $40, or $60 for all of it.Jd1680a
Not sure anyone here read this line. How could this be such a big problem, really? If you are planning on playing both multiplayer and single player, then its your option to pay $60. Why should I be stuck with only one option if I wanted to only play single player? Another thing is alot of games development money is moved away toward multiplayer. Like Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, more games that are suppose to be focused on the campaign could be stronger with longer game time, while the multplayer could be a $15 DLC.
VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

Yes, great idea ONLY IF they are price properly.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

While in theory I guess this doesn't sound terrible, I simply don't trust publishers like EA and Activision to not find a way to spin this around so that they can nickle and dime us even more than they already are.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

40$ for the BF3-campaign? Yeah, no.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#27 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Has everyone forgotten about convenience? Say if you bought retail - and there are still some people who still do - who wants to go to the shop twice? I think people could be put off too by the idea of 'paying twice" as well. Just the action of forking out twice could be troublesome and they might resort to just downloading the SP. Also, what if the campaign is crappola like in the case of BF3? You buy a single package and yeah you don't get a great SP but you get 100 hrs out of the MP. Paying separately for a bad campaign and broken co-op wouldn't go down well.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
Has everyone forgotten about convenience? Say if you bought retail - and there are still some people who still do - who wants to go to the shop twice? I think people could be put off too by the idea of 'paying twice" as well. Just the action of forking out twice could be troublesome and they might resort to just downloading the SP. Also, what if the campaign is crappola like in the case of BF3? You buy a single package and yeah you don't get a great SP but you get 100 hrs out of the MP. Paying separately for a bad campaign and broken co-op wouldn't go down well. biggest_loser
You wouldn't go twice to the shop cause you are interested only in the SP for example. There would be 3 packages, SP, MP and Combined. BF3 is a bad example cause it had a bad SP Campaign. There are other games though that I just bought for the SP and never cared for the Co-Op or MP (example, Splinter Cell and the upcoming Mass Effect 3), so I would be more than happy to pay LESS to get what I am really interested in.
destinyDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 destinyDemon
Member since 2008 • 603 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Has everyone forgotten about convenience? Say if you bought retail - and there are still some people who still do - who wants to go to the shop twice? I think people could be put off too by the idea of 'paying twice" as well. Just the action of forking out twice could be troublesome and they might resort to just downloading the SP. Also, what if the campaign is crappola like in the case of BF3? You buy a single package and yeah you don't get a great SP but you get 100 hrs out of the MP. Paying separately for a bad campaign and broken co-op wouldn't go down well. FelipeInside
You wouldn't go twice to the shop cause you are interested only in the SP for example. There would be 3 packages, SP, MP and Combined. BF3 is a bad example cause it had a bad SP Campaign. There are other games though that I just bought for the SP and never cared for the Co-Op or MP (example, Splinter Cell and the upcoming Mass Effect 3), so I would be more than happy to pay LESS to get what I am really interested in.

actually the mp on mass effect is whats convincing me to get it not the single player

GusTheJanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GusTheJanitor
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
No, unless the single player price is significantly less and the multiplayer price plus the single player price adds up to a normal game price. People could save money if they don't want to play multiplayer or have no one to play with.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Has everyone forgotten about convenience? Say if you bought retail - and there are still some people who still do - who wants to go to the shop twice? I think people could be put off too by the idea of 'paying twice" as well. Just the action of forking out twice could be troublesome and they might resort to just downloading the SP. Also, what if the campaign is crappola like in the case of BF3? You buy a single package and yeah you don't get a great SP but you get 100 hrs out of the MP. Paying separately for a bad campaign and broken co-op wouldn't go down well. destinyDemon

actually the mp on mass effect is whats convincing me to get it not the single player

Exactly my point.
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Looks like something Activision might come up with. :P Seriously though, developers should focus on making both the singleplayer and multiplayer a great experience, instead of all the 6 hours campaigns we`ve been seeing recently.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside
Looks like something Activision might come up with. :P Seriously though, developers should focus on making both the singleplayer and multiplayer a great experience, instead of all the 6 hours campaigns we`ve been seeing recently.harry_james_pot
Length =/= Great Experience I'll rather have a short awesome campaign than a long boring one.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
thats a terrible idea tc...so IF someone happenes to buy the solo and then later on down the road decide to buy the MP they will have then payed 90 bucks for the game!? no...
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside
thats a terrible idea tc...so IF someone happenes to buy the solo and then later on down the road decide to buy the MP they will have then payed 90 bucks for the game!? no...slvrraven9
Eh no, you didn't understand or didn't read through the whole post. Obviously each part would be sold cheaper, not at full price. (PS: we here in AUS pay $90 for EVERY game btw)
toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

I like the idea but companies like Acitvision and EA would abuse it and chanrge $50 for each part. Maybe if every company was like Valve it would work and I think this idea works better digitally. I wouldn't mind paying $40 on steam for the SP only for COD or for the SP of Starvraft 2 on battle.net

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts
no. just no.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

If it was 30/30.. then yeah. It seems sony is actually in the process of trying this with KZ3.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I think it depends on the game, but all that matters is if publishers maximize their profits, forget the consumer. The consumer first connects with a product on the emotional level, and then they try to justify it with logic. You're sucked in before your wallet can even beg for mercy.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]thats a terrible idea tc...so IF someone happenes to buy the solo and then later on down the road decide to buy the MP they will have then payed 90 bucks for the game!? no...FelipeInside
Eh no, you didn't understand or didn't read through the whole post. Obviously each part would be sold cheaper, not at full price. (PS: we here in AUS pay $90 for EVERY game btw)

If this would happen, you can be sure that they will abuse this "idea", they won't sell a 60$ game for example for 30$ for sp and 30$ for mp or 10-20 for sp and 50-40 for mp, they will ask more for each than the entire single license price, maybe if they somehow feel generous they might give you a discount for buying the other component to make the price as "low" as the normal 60$.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
No way... should SP be sold separately? WTF kind of question is that TC? No offense lol.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
That would be a good idea, if the price for both together is still the same as the full game now. Like $20 for SP and $40 for MP for CoD. Though I don't think I'll see Activision doing these kind of prices...
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]thats a terrible idea tc...so IF someone happenes to buy the solo and then later on down the road decide to buy the MP they will have then payed 90 bucks for the game!? no...FelipeInside

after rereading the OP i fail to see how i am mistaken. he said that you could have the option to buy the solo for 40 or the MP for 50. now if someone decieds initially that they dont want the mp then they pay 40 bucks for the solo, but if later on down the road they decide to purchase the MP thats another 50 bucks that they have to pay out. correct me if im wrong here. again, like i said i went back and reread his OP just to make sure that i didnt take anything out of context. i understand each part would be sold cheaper...which is why i said if someone decides now to get one part cheaper and then later to get the other part cheaper. perhaps you just didnt understand what i typed..
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="slvrraven9"]thats a terrible idea tc...so IF someone happenes to buy the solo and then later on down the road decide to buy the MP they will have then payed 90 bucks for the game!? no...slvrraven9

after rereading the OP i fail to see how i am mistaken. he said that you could have the option to buy the solo for 40 or the MP for 50. now if someone decieds initially that they dont want the mp then they pay 40 bucks for the solo, but if later on down the road they decide to purchase the MP thats another 50 bucks that they have to pay out. correct me if im wrong here. again, like i said i went back and reread his OP just to make sure that i didnt take anything out of context. i understand each part would be sold cheaper...which is why i said if someone decides now to get one part cheaper and then later to get the other part cheaper. perhaps you just didnt understand what i typed..

LOL< perhaps we didn't understand each other. Basically, what I said was: the only way this would work if each part was sold cheaper or half the price of the full game.