Severe Choppiness/Lag in ALL my games, PLEASE HELP.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts

This is seriously driving me crazy. In every modern game I have (Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, MW3, Saints Row The Third, etc) the FPS drops significantly with severe choppiness for a few minutes and then goes back to normal, and repeats. When they run normally, the FPS is generally high and very smooth. Mass Effect 3 in particular has this choppiness for like 5 minutes and happens more frequently. I know it's not my graphics card or CPU overheating because im checking my temps and they are always below 45 degrees C. What is the problem, can it be the hard drive? The hard drive is roughly 6 years old.

My build:

Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 2.8 GHz
EVGA GTS 250 512mb
6GB RAM DDR2
550W PSU

Running on 1440x900 for most games except ME3 which is at @ 1280x720.

I really need to know the source of this problem, I cannot enjoy my games anymore.

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

This is seriously driving me crazy. In every modern game I have (Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, MW3, Saints Row The Third, etc) the FPS drops significantly with severe choppiness for a few minutes and then goes back to normal, and repeats. When they run normally, the FPS is generally high and very smooth. Mass Effect 3 in particular has this choppiness for like 5 minutes and happens more frequently. I know it's not my graphics card or CPU overheating because im checking my temps and they are always below 45 degrees C. What is the problem, can it be the hard drive? The hard drive is roughly 6 years old.

My build:

Windows 7 64 bit
EVGA GTS 250 512mb
6GB RAM DDR2
550W PSU

I really need to know the source of this problem, I cannot enjoy my games anymore.

Chiddaling

You have a very weak graphics card that is 3 generations old. Get a new card and your framerates will soar.. What's probably happenign is all your video ram is being used. Once this happens things get choppy.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Time for a new graphics card my man.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chiddaling

[QUOTE="Chiddaling"]

My build:

Windows 7 64 bit
EVGA GTS 250 512mb
6GB RAM DDR2
550W PSU

Endgame_basic

You have a very weak graphics card that is 3 generations old. Get a new card and your framerates will soar.. What's probably happenign is all your video ram is being used. Once this happens things get choppy.

But I always get 50 FPS in ME3, Skyrim and MW3, 40 in Saints Row The Third. I get these frames every time It doesnt get choppy.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

New graphics card would help alot with newer games, try some other drivers (old and new), if nothign works then reformat your comp.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chiddaling

New graphics card would help alot with newer games, try some other drivers (old and new), if nothign works then reformat your comp.

kozzy1234
Thanks, ill try this.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#7 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Besides specs.....you say your HD is 6 years old? When was the last time you reformated and did a clean install? Do you do regular maintenance at all like defragging? Free space matters too.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chiddaling

Besides specs.....you say your HD is 6 years old? When was the last time you reformated and did a clean install? Do you do regular maintenance at all like defragging? Free space matters too.

vfibsux
Last reformat and clean install was last April. And I havent defragged in a few months.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

[QUOTE="Endgame_basic"]

[QUOTE="Chiddaling"]

My build:

Windows 7 64 bit
EVGA GTS 250 512mb
6GB RAM DDR2
550W PSU

Chiddaling

But I always get 50 FPS in ME3, Skyrim and MW3, 40 in Saints Row The Third. I get these frames every time It doesnt get choppy.

Download DPC latency checker and and run it when you get these chops. If theres a problem it will show it .

Try close your anti-virus while playing , do a defragment and ofc ...check for virus/malware.... A good trial program is malwarebytes

Also can you tell me if these chops occur when you are in open areas and stop when you are in small rooms? If thats the case , thats GPU issue

Play with options. Very demanding for power are shadows ( who cares if are high , go low or even none!! if theres an option ). It will boost FPS for sure. Then play with other options and see if theres a difference. If there are significant differences on FPS while you downgrade graphics and/or resolutions then its GPU issue or RAM

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chiddaling

[QUOTE="Chiddaling"]

[QUOTE="Endgame_basic"]

AzatiS

Download DPC latency checker and and run it when you get these chops. If theres a problem it will show it .

Try close your anti-virus while playing , do a defragment and ofc ...check for virus/malware.... A good trial program is malwarebytes

Also can you tell me if these chops occur when you are in open areas and stop when you are in small rooms? If thats the case , thats GPU issue

Play with options. Very demanding for power are shadows ( who cares if are high , go low or even none!! if theres an option ). It will boost FPS for sure. Then play with other options and see if theres a difference. If there are significant differences on FPS while you downgrade graphics and/or resolutions then its GPU issue or RAM

It doesn't make a difference if I put any option down. Whether it be resoluton, AA, AF, shadows, textures, etc. The chops can occur anytime, really. It can be in a cutscene, outside/inside. During the chops if I change the options it makes no difference, even turning up the options stays the same. In games like ME3 the menu stays smooth, while the gameplay is choppy. But other games have choppy menus as well. I'll try the DPC latency checker, thanks! :)
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
Clean your fans and your heatsink.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Turn off your antivirus and if using Steam try playing in offline mode.

Go into your power save settings and make sure it's always using full power.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chiddaling
Clean your fans and your heatsink.masterdrat
Already did. Nothing wrong with my temps and stuffs.
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

A new gfx card would do you wonders, 40+ fps with lag spikes sounds like a bottleneck.

ME3 and MW3 run on UE3 and a modified Quake 3 engine, as far as I recall, both of which have been worked on for a decade; they generally run very well on most hardware. Skyrim is hit and miss, but generally undemanding as well.

I can't be certain at all but your gfx card probably chokes.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="masterdrat"]Clean your fans and your heatsink.Chiddaling
Already did. Nothing wrong with my temps and stuffs.

Try a chkdsk /R Could be ur Hard Drive.
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I'm almost sure the issue is with your graphics card. Try installing a different graphics card and test if it happens as well, or place your graphics card on another computer and test the games to see if the pattern repeats.
Custodian405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Custodian405
Member since 2003 • 1041 Posts
you could also try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic. Its in administrative tools. see if your ram is doing good.