Searching for a game from my childhood

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nir_jntn
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
I'm looking for the name of an old PC space game. I remember playing it in the early 90s but it could have also been made somewhere at the end of the 80s (even though 90s is more likely). I don't remember almost anything. I do remember it was a space ship which could take power ups during the game. The power ups were of 3 colors - red, blue and some other color. Every color determined the way the space ship fired (I just remember that red was lasers) and each boost you took made the ship have a bigger fire power. It could also charge itself to fire a special big shot. Does someone recognize it?
nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nir_jntn
anybody knows?
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Tyrian maybe? In the arcade mode weapon upgrades dropped as round colored objects instead of having to upgrade in the shop in-between missions in story mode. If it is in fact Tyrian, you can get it free (and fully funcitonal in windows xp+) from gog.com: http://www.gog.com/game/tyrian_2000
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Sounds like pretty much every scrolling shooter iv  played. Raiden was quite popular in the 90s and matches that description.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
R-Type ?
Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

Sounds like pretty much every scrolling shooter iv  played. Raiden was quite popular in the 90s and matches that description.

pelvist

Uhhhhhh Raiden was a game where me and my friend bet who survive last to pay a man who will buy us an Alchohol :DDD

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nir_jntn
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Tyrian maybe? In the arcade mode weapon upgrades dropped as round colored objects instead of having to upgrade in the shop in-between missions in story mode. If it is in fact Tyrian, you can get it free (and fully funcitonal in windows xp+) from gog.com: http://www.gog.com/game/tyrian_2000

It's not Tyrian. In Tyrian you buy stuff to upgrade your ship while in my game you collected power ups during the game to upgrade it.
nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nir_jntn

pelvist
Not Raiden.. Raiden's power ups got only 2 colors while the game I'm searching for has 3. Also, Raiden has a bomb for it's special shot, while in my game you could charge your ship for a special shot. I remember that in my game when you were with the red power up which was my favorite, the special shot was a giant laser beam which consumed nearly half the screen or something like that...
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Tyrian maybe? In the arcade mode weapon upgrades dropped as round colored objects instead of having to upgrade in the shop in-between missions in story mode. If it is in fact Tyrian, you can get it free (and fully funcitonal in windows xp+) from gog.com: http://www.gog.com/game/tyrian_2000nir_jntn
It's not Tyrian. In Tyrian you buy stuff to upgrade your ship while in my game you collected power ups during the game to upgrade it.

Sorry to hear it's not what you are looking for, with that said, Tyrian had multiple modes including one where you collect stuff in-level to upgrade/change weapons.

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nir_jntn

[QUOTE="nir_jntn"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]Tyrian maybe? In the arcade mode weapon upgrades dropped as round colored objects instead of having to upgrade in the shop in-between missions in story mode. If it is in fact Tyrian, you can get it free (and fully funcitonal in windows xp+) from gog.com: http://www.gog.com/game/tyrian_2000Renevent42

Sorry to hear it's not what you are looking for, with that said, Tyrian had multiple modes including one where you collect stuff in-level to upgrade/change weapons.

First of all thank you very much because I remember playing this game as well and I've downloaded it from your link. And when searching for gameplays on youtube I've only seen this one mode I described... I can I watch other modes' gameplays?
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Renevent42

Now that we've been talking about it I think it's actually one of the secret modes:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~vannevar/tyrian/superarc.html

To enter Super Arcade Mode type one of the codes in white below. During this mode weapon pods are changed to coloured pods. Each colour will give you a certain weapon, and the weapon level will depend on how many pods of any colour you've collected. There are no rear weapons available so hitting enter will switch between two special weapons instead. Holding down either of the sidekick keys will fire the special weapon as fast as possible. Each ship has a different set of front weapons. All cheat codes are disabled.Tyrian

Hope that helps and sorry was a bit confusing as it's been a looooong time since I've really played it and some of the details are foggy.

*edit*

Man talking about Tyrian makes me want to play it again :P

Just FYI there was TONS of secrets in Tyrian including all sorts of hidden modes and ships...there was even an real-time-ish mother of all games clone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPHkzMm8PU

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10454 Posts

R-Type ? couly

my first thought too

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nir_jntn

[QUOTE="couly"]R-Type ? Macutchi

my first thought too

Not R-Type. The game was with a ship that fly from the bottom to the top of the screen and with R-Type its from left to right.
drev87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 drev87
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts

Could it possibly be Decent or Decent 2?
Neiter are side scrollers but seem to match your description otherwise.

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nir_jntn

Could it possibly be Decent or Decent 2?
Neiter are side scrollers but seem to match your description otherwise.

drev87
Not Descent. Descent was a first person 3d view. This game wasn't. Also you could not charge your ship to a special shot. I remember that in my game when you were with the red power up which was my favorite, the special shot was a giant laser beam which consumed nearly half the screen...
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pelvist

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

nir_jntn

Not Raiden.. Raiden's power ups got only 2 colors while the game I'm searching for has 3. Also, Raiden has a bomb for it's special shot, while in my game you could charge your ship for a special shot. I remember that in my game when you were with the red power up which was my favorite, the special shot was a giant laser beam which consumed nearly half the screen or something like that...

Gekioh on the PSX had a beam shot that charged up but I only remember it having blue and red power ups.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Is it Gradius 3? That game was awesome...
Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts
I suppose we're all lookin' for a game from our childhood in one way or another derp.
nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nir_jntn
Is it Gradius 3? That game was awesome...superclocked
Not Gradius 3... In my game the ship was flying from bottom to top of the screen and not from left to right.
Gekioh on the PSX had a beam shot that charged up but I only remember it having blue and red power ups..superclocked
Not that either even though it does look nice but my game had 3 colors to choose from. I don't know if it's relevant but I remember for some reason the word "mirage" associated with the game. I couldn't find a game called like that so it might have been the gaming company or even just the name of the exe file that opened the game...
nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nir_jntn
I don't know if it's relevant but I remember for some reason the word "mirage" associated with the game. I couldn't find a game called like that so it might have been the gaming company or even just the name of the exe file that opened the game...
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
Xenon 2 ?
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pelvist

I don't know if it's relevant but I remember for some reason the word "mirage" associated with the game. I couldn't find a game called like that so it might have been the gaming company or even just the name of the exe file that opened the game... nir_jntn

Could be Mirage Software. They developed a lot of games back in the day, all the way from Atari 2600 to the 3DO and CDI with Rise of the Robots. Maybe this information can help you find what you are looking for.

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nir_jntn

[QUOTE="nir_jntn"]I don't know if it's relevant but I remember for some reason the word "mirage" associated with the game. I couldn't find a game called like that so it might have been the gaming company or even just the name of the exe file that opened the game... pelvist

Could be Mirage Software. They developed a lot of games back in the day, all the way from Atari 2600 to the 3DO and CDI with Rise of the Robots. Maybe this information can help you find what you are looking for.

Do you know where can I find some information about them? I can't seem to find almost anything about them or their games.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pelvist

Its not Mirage Thunder by any chance its it?

nir_jntn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nir_jntn

pelvist
YES! I BELIEVE IT IS! How did you find it? I searched for games with the word mirage and couldn't find it. The youtube video makes the game look easier than I remember
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pelvist

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

nir_jntn

YES! I BELIEVE IT IS! How did you find it? I searched for games with the word mirage and couldn't find it. The youtube video makes the game look easier than I remember

Took a while to find, I played a lot of scrolling shooters in the 80s and 90s and thought something would jog my memory. Dont remember ever playing that one though.