Samsung RF510 dies when running games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Caffeinenyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Caffeinenyx
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hiya,

I got a samsung RF510 at around Christmas, but this is the first time I have tried a game on it. I installed dragon age 2, but the laptop just dies anywhere between a few minutes and 30 mins playing. I tried checking the temp of it when just loading the menu of dragon age as it didnt feel too hot when it died and it was 60C. I know that wasnt bad for my desktop, but I had not even started playing the game and this is a laptop? I am above spec for dragon age 2 so I dont know what else is causing it. I have the latest drivers etc:

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 460M (2.53GHz, 3MB)
nVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (External Graphic card) 1GB gDDR3 (External Graphic)
4GB DDR2 RAM
500GB / On 150GB partition

Any ideas? Have tried re-installing drivers, turning the graphics down and running directX9 instead of 11. This is also a clean install of win7, so I only have steam installed really.

What is causing it to shutdown instantly?

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

It's a garbage game, play other games.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Do other games run without crashing? Try the DA2 demo and see if it crashes? Try to see whether it's the game or the computer.
Azurites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Azurites
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

It's a garbage game, play other games.

Locutus_Picard

Thats some useless info, you should stay in system wars.

Anyway, since its instantly shutting off, I would bet on a sudden spike in temp causing it to shut down to save itself. You dont have any other games to try?

erikgergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 erikgergal
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts

Have you updated the drivers for your video card? it could be incompatibility thats causing the problem. also are there any updates for the game itself? there could be a fix included in an update

Caffeinenyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Caffeinenyx

I have tried mass effect 2 and it did the same thing, while running the first scene. I am trying to monitor the temp when it crashed. This laptop is supposed to be good for not overheating..... I could try my old laptop fan.

Caffeinenyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Caffeinenyx
I miss my old desktop, couldnt bring it to uni though, too far, so I sold it and got a laptop
jagans65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jagans65
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
The Problem is the Laptop. Gaming overheats the processor and it dies. I have heard that replacing the thermal paste with a high efficiency silver type cures the problem. We shall see. I think that the cooling system is under-designed, considering the fact that this laptop sports an i7 processor. This is just one of many problems this particular model has. Here are the others: The video goes out for short periods for no reason at all. It comes back on, but I have not figured out yet why it just dies for no reason. The DC jack is placed on the side and a eiaj-4 plug was used for power The jack is plastic in the center and it is not IF it will break, it is WHEN it will break. Soldering on a new jack can be done but it is difficult, and the placement on the MOBO is horrible, out on the end of a thin portion of the board. I already had to replace my Mobo at 4 months at a cost of $329. A heck of a lot of money for a laptop mobo. Most laptops have gone to a side mounted jack. This is a huge mistake, and only Dell seems to have enough brains to keep it in the back by the hinge where the laptop is strong. The battery life is laughable for a Laptop. About 1.5 hours, when there are Laptops getting upwards of 7 hours due to lithium polymer technology. I also had to replace my keyboard. My fault, coffee. The keyboard is basically the whole front of the laptop, not simply a separate keyboard, therefore expensive. Once you take this Laptop apart (and you will eventually, or you will sell it for parts) you will see how weakly designed it is. I actually did not know about the cooling problem, but found out about it when I passed the laptop on to my grandson. I bought a Dell XPS with an i5 processor. Dell knows how to build a laptop. The XPS I bought has it all, and does not overheat when gaming. The RF510 looks great, but it is poorly engineered, and it has some very serious shortcomings, overheating and dying being one of them.
jagans65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jagans65
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Did you ever solve the problem of your RF510 Dying while gaming? Mine still has this problem. Silver paste did not help, and video just quits for no no apparent reason, then comes back on. My power jack failed again. POS EIAJ-4 jack. Too bad, because this LT has a really nice display. Im going to have to solder on a different type of DC in jack, EIAJ just keeps failing.