Rift: Planes of Telara - What do you guys think?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Orakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 Orakk
Member since 2007 • 951 Posts

Hey guys and gals!

I have been playing Rift: Planes of Telara pretty intensely the past 3 weeks, and you can say I am having a pretty good time! I enjoy the general Rift'ing gameplay, the open world PvP and the instances.

What about you guys? (If you are playing the game of course!) :-).

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

I'm interested in trying it out but i can't be bothered starting a MMO.

dabigsiebowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dabigsiebowski
Member since 2003 • 887 Posts

I'm interested in trying it out but i can't be bothered starting a MMO.

spookykid143
i bought it and I like it a lot. It's a lot like really a lot like wow but a bit more fresh if that makes sense. it's deeper than anything eles as far as class combination goes. It's solid but at the same time i think it feels dry considering wow has been out as long as it has. its a good fun mmo tho if thats what your looking for
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Isn't this the game that runs on the CryEngine?? It's out? :?

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Feels pretty mediocre, I don't see how this is much better than the past "WoW-killers" such as Age of Conan, Aion, Warhammer. In fact, I thought all three of those were better than Rift, it's not bad but I don't see why it's getting so much praise. Also, the UI is horrible, absolutely horrible. The rifts start feel pretty repetitve after a while. Huge + points for artifacts, the puzzles and treasure at top of mountains, encourages exploring without rewarding too much etc... It's very satisfying.

kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts

I love it, unfortunately I'm at school so I only have my MacBook Pro, so I have only gotten about 20 hours of play in. Everything I have played so far in it has been highly enjoyable, definitely the WoW killer for me.

Now I want to play it :P

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

its not that great imho its just another game in a sea of bland fantasy mmo's

gimmie back by uniqueness mmo.. stop giving me the PoS titles i keep seeing.

im talking about something truly unique.. puzzle priates is different, champions online is different, auto assautl was different, WoW and ff14.. thats not different thats a broken old formula and backdrop done a bajillion times over

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

I like it a lot so far.

The game strikes me as the bastard child of WoW and Warhammer Online. I feel like it's tailormade to those of us who thinks WoW lost a lot of it's soul along with the expansions. WOTLK turned into a mindless zerg fest pretty much after clearing Naxx and Cata is'nt at all harder even though Blizzard promised us something a little less mainstream.

Furthermore, I'm very impressed with Trion's servers. I've had very little lag, especially considering the game is three weeks old.

On the flipside, Blizzard had terrible terrible server issues at launch, had terrible server issues with every expansion, had terrrible server issues between each expansion and upon the release of Cataclysm in late 2010 they had...... Even more issues. It was literraly impossible to log in to Ravencrest for a whole of two weeks. Luckily, Blizzard seems to have stopped refunding gametime even when it's clearly their fault.

Amazing how Rift can be so relatively bug free and stable while one of the most profitable games in the world is pretty running on the same inadequate hardware it did in 04.

Don't give me that "expensive and not as easy as it seems" crap. They can afford it and should have provided better support from day one.

Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

My friends and I are enjoying it. Trion seems to have a good dev team too, so they should be able to push out good fixes, content, and fun stuff quickly and often.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

I played the beta, it was decent, but i'm still enjoying Aion more, so i'm sticking with my Aion account for now.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

I like it a lot so far.

The game strikes me as the bastard child of WoW and Warhammer Online. I feel like it's tailormade to those of us who thinks WoW lost a lot of it's soul along with the expansions. WOTLK turned into a mindless zerg fest pretty much after clearing Naxx and Cata is'nt at all harder even though Blizzard promised us something a little less mainstream.

Furthermore, I'm very impressed with Trion's servers. I've had very little lag, especially considering the game is three weeks old.

On the flipside, Blizzard had terrible terrible server issues at launch, had terrible server issues with every expansion, had terrrible server issues between each expansion and upon the release of Cataclysm in late 2010 they had...... Even more issues. It was literraly impossible to log in to Ravencrest for a whole of two weeks. Luckily, Blizzard seems to have stopped refunding gametime even when it's clearly their fault.

Amazing how Rift can be so relatively bug free and stable while one of the most profitable games in the world is pretty running on the same inadequate hardware it did in 04.

Don't give me that "expensive and not as easy as it seems" crap. They can afford it and should have provided better support from day one.

Filthybastrd
I haven't experienced any server issues since Cata release. Not sure what you are talking about.
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
Personally I was getting bored with the beta so never bothered with the full game.
trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

If you wanna know a lot about Rift, can read what I posted on the bottom of this page.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/27594501/rift-vs.-lotro?page=1

However, I am now in the mid-30's, and in reflection of the instances I am currently doing, I am sooooo happy that some of the bosses actually have MECHANICS with them. (although a lot are still tank n spank). However, with this said, I'm about to quit the game out of sheer boredom. It's getting even worse in all the other categories I listed.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
It's a great game to pick up. I haven't been able to play it for about a week so I can't wait for spring break starting tomorrow so I can dive back into the action! It may borrow lots of stuff from other MMO's but it's a very fun game to play!
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

I like it a lot so far.

Pittfan666
I haven't experienced any server issues since Cata release. Not sure what you are talking about.

Not only that, are you comparing the amount of people playing in Rift to the amount in WoW? there's a BIG difference....
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Some generic boring MMO which will die when the next one comes along.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I am enjoying it. Almost done with my 2nd 50. I will probably abandon it when STOR or GW2 comes out.
Judas923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Judas923
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

It is a great game , it hasn't the troll WoW has, work fine since beta , well polished, has constant updates and lots and lots of content.

Regarding the instances , the higher the lvl , the more complex the mechanics on bosses are. So at start , as the tanks dont have the most efficient spells/skills , the bosses will be more easy to counter. The mob groups wont be that larger and they wont dead too much damage to players. But still those dungeons have their own cool things to share. For example the Iron Tomb has a great part where you need to stick to some orbs that light the darkness there and the shadows that attack you will take more damage. You will need o run from one orb to the other and pay attention cause the longer you stay in the darkness the more shadows you will attract.

Later in Stone Field , Deepstrike Mine gets a bit more complicated as every boss hase one mechanic. So the progress is smooth and players wont get frustrated.

Another great thing that makes you get into the dungeons its related to the gear. Every piece there has some stats that you wont find in the open world or at vendors. So you can level up without trying to visit those dungeons or you can go there , get the gear and have a easy life in pve and keep your shards for other things. But this is optional as many things in the game.

The souls system is brilliant. You can have any combination you want and here is the challenge for the best spec. You can counter anything , the ballance aint a problem anymore and free choice makes you feel that your decisions count

Also for the PVP part there is a special soul that you will put point in but is related to your pvp level. This is something new alone with the fact that you can have up to 4 saved combinations of souls and you can change them accordingly to the situation.

Invasions = hundreeds of mobs + hundreeds of players + world chanhes ----> lag free!!! First time I see this in an MMO. Don't know how they do it but it is incredible and I love it!

Late game there are lots of things to do as you have expert rifts , expert dungeons , raids etc. You can start the artifact hunting or simply go for PVP. There is allways something to do , the world is huge and the choice is yours.

My opinion : Rift , without too much yelling in the press, its the only MMO that can be an option to the WoW players. Its great , big , polished , lag free , has great graphics , lots of content ,no trolls and dedicated support that seem to work 24/7.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#20 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

8.6 with 600+ user votes, I think that speaks for itself. Haters gonna hate.

Shru-Bracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 Shru-Bracken
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

Played the beta. Didn't get far - it seemed bland, and the UI wasn't very intuitive. Typical fantasy MMO graphics with lacklustre animations and effects.
Quests were boring.

A big "meh" from me. It didn't pull me in, sadly. I was hoping for more. First impressions are very important for me, and if an MMORPG fails to grab me in the first few levels, it says a lot about the game.

Maybe some will love it, who knows?

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts
I just picked it up last weekend and found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. I stopped playing WoW when the first expansion came out and the game started to get heavily nerfed. I found Warhammer Online to be really bad. Even on highly populated serves, I hardly ever ran into another player. So the premise of public quests and open world PVP meant very little. Also, the world wasn't much to look at, therefore I didn't want to go and explore. Bad for an MMO, IMO. Rist obviously feels like an MMO for people who abandoned the games above, offering the good stuff about those games with enough freshness to be something on its own.