Rift for $5 on steam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I've heard a few gamespotters rave about this game. I'm wondering how is the population? Games like Aion going f2p, I'm wondering if Rift is on it's last legs or if its built up a solid core and also is growing instead of retracting?

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

Games like Aion going f2p, I'm wondering if Rift is on it's last legs or if its built up a solid core and also is growing instead of retracting?

True_Sounds
Perhaps. I think the first 20 levels in the game are free as well. It's tough to say. It's one of the more popular MMOs, but I'm not sure how it's doing subscription wise.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Still not worth it.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Still not worth it.

tjricardo089

Care to elaborate?

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Like you, I have heard that it is a superb fantasy MMO. I have also heard that the endgame content is constantly improving, and that Trion really cares about its player base (unlike some other companies).
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Like you, I have heard that it is a superb fantasy MMO. I have also heard that the endgame content is constantly improving, and that Trion really cares about its player base (unlike some other companies).CaptainAhab13
they are alot better than most but believe me when i say.. its got alot of cookie-cutter pieces in it

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Like you, I have heard that it is a superb fantasy MMO. I have also heard that the endgame content is constantly improving, and that Trion really cares about its player base (unlike some other companies).ionusX

they are alot better than most but believe me when i say.. its got alot of cookie-cutter pieces in it

Cookie cutter or not, its still good fun. Which is all that counts.

JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JW-toch
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

I like WoW better, but it's really one of those standard 'hot-key' MMO's out there. If you're into that type of stuff, you'll probably like it.

RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RaseshX
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts

I've heard a few gamespotters rave about this game. I'm wondering how is the population? Games like Aion going f2p, I'm wondering if Rift is on it's last legs or if its built up a solid core and also is growing instead of retracting?

True_Sounds
Don't bother. Just wait for GW2 - It's on a sale like every other day and it's for a reason.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Still not worth it.

tjricardo089

Only if you don't like this type of game. Even if you consider it a WoW clone, WoW costs $20 for the base game but this is only $5. It probably has the standard 30 days free too.

Avatar image for WorldComingDown
WorldComingDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WorldComingDown
Member since 2010 • 358 Posts

I really enjoyed it for a while though I have never played World of Warcraft. Put around 85 hours into it and got my character to level 34. As with all the MMO's I have played, Rift only lasted just over a month for me. In my mindthe amount of negatives out-weighsthe postives in the MMO genre. I can't stand other random people telling me how to play a game, what weapons and roles to choose, etc. I know many are simply trying to help but it always puts me off the game in the end.

Anyway Rift certainly has nice graphics and scenery. As long as you check out the forums and note the most popular servers I can assure you that low population will not be an issue. Plenty of people still play some due to the Role/Class system which is a great feature but I personally don't like being able to modify my class to great extents. I prefer the classic method of picking a class you enjoy and sticking with it. Being the one in the party to always be the reliable tank or healer, etc. In Rift I recall joining a party in which other members demanded I NOT go tank so one of the others could. Why invite me to the party if you did not want a tank? Is the way off all MMO's I suppose though.

Another reason many people like the game is due to the easiness of getting to level 50 and noteven having to quest to do so. With all of the Rifts, Warfronts, mass amounts of enemies cramped into small zones you'll be soaring to max level in no time, if thats the kind of experience you like. Regarding rifts, and many people will say the same, fun at first but soon become boring and dull. When the massive rift invasions take place it's fanatastic for your experience gain and loot but it candestroy your plans and goals in a session. However thats also something other players will love about the game

In any case for $5 it is easily worth a month of gameplay for anyone who still enjoys MMO's. I think the popualtion size will stay decent at leastuntil the next batch of big MMO's arrive. If you do buy the game, I hope you enjoy it.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

RaseshX

Don't bother. Just wait for GW2 - It's on a sale like every other day and it's for a reason.

I have to agree here. I see Rift on Sale a lot.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
It's basically WoW for people who are tired of WoW.
Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

It's basically WoW for people who are tired of WoW.shakmaster13

I guess that's all I really ever wanted.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I am greatly enjoying it since I came back a few weeks ago. The devs are the best ive ever seen in a MMO. They push out fun content and features fast.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Still not worth it.

James00715

Only if you don't like this type of game. Even if you consider it a WoW clone, WoW costs $20 for the base game but this is only $5. It probably has the standard 30 days free too.

I've played Rift extensively, but I'd rather go back to WoW. Overall, I wouldn't go back to either. Waiting for Guild Wars 2. :D

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#17 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

It is certainly worth $5 considering you will get AT LEAST 30 days of fun out of it. If you never play it again after that did you really lose $5?? Ummm, no. Any $5 game that lasts a month is worth it.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It's basically WoW for people who are tired of WoW.shakmaster13
Pretty much and is exactly what a tonne of people want. Me included. A fresh new story, fresh new character and world, new up to date features such as dynamic events and visuals... count me in!
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#19 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]It's basically WoW for people who are tired of WoW.JohnF111
Pretty much and is exactly what a tonne of people want. Me included. A fresh new story, fresh new character and world, new up to date features such as dynamic events and visuals... count me in!

Exactly. And the world is unique, last time I checked not one Orc in it. The Rifts are unique, the souls are unique, so what if it has some other mechanics that WoW does? That is like saying Dominoes copied pizza hut because they put pepperoni on their pizza too. Stupid debate.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I use to play it but could no longer afford the monthly fees. I enjoyed it a little more than WoW. The group rifts and the pvp was a lot of fun. It is a fun game to play and it kept me entertained for about a year. When I get some more money I may return to the game. When I left several months ago the community was still holding strong.
Jabberrwocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jabberrwocky
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I agree that Rift seems to be perpetually on sale for $10, but this is the first I have seen it for $5. I would play through the first 20 levels for free and then go from there. If you like it after 20 levels will probably be worth it to you for $10 or under.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Try Rift Lite to see what you think of it. In the past day I've started from the beginning and I'm currently a 'level 7 Warrior". It seems like fun, but I'm not sure I'm going to be paying monthly for it once I hit level 20.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/lite/

Snaptrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Snaptrap
Member since 2003 • 2186 Posts

One more year and Rift will be F2P. Just like WoW, they're doing all they can to keep people from leaving.