Ridiculous DRM for ACII

This topic is locked from further discussion.

daabulls23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 daabulls23
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Articles here:

http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?page=3&searchid=22558

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/17/assassins-creed-ii-drm-proves-that-ubisoft-hates-your-guts-and-wants-to-beat-you-up-after-school

BOOOOOO UBISOFT! Way to not support PC gaming AT ALL! If anything kills PC gaming, it's going to be DRM.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
This is getting old. How many threads to we need with bickering in it.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

BOOOOOO UBISOFT! Way to not support PC gaming AT ALL! If anything kills PC gaming, it's going to be DRM.

daabulls23

DRM isnt killing pc gaming, piracy is.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts
Piracy is whats killing pc gaming.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

warmaster670

Piracy is whats killing pc gaming. UnknownElement4

Ironically enough, the only people who aren't bothered by DRM are pirates. Or alternatively, people who buy the game and then crack it. But the pirates get the best deal since they get the game free and don't have to deal with absolute BS like this.

Piracy is not killing PC gaming. But DRM on the other hand is doing a great job stopping me from buying games.

DabsTight703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 DabsTight703
Member since 2008 • 1966 Posts

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

HenriH-42

Ironically enough, the only people who aren't bothered by DRM are pirates. Or alternatively, people who buy the game and then crack it. But the pirates get the best deal since they get the game free and don't have to deal with absolute BS like this.

Piracy is not killing PC gaming. But DRM on the other hand is doing a great job stopping me from buying games.

Agreed.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

DRM isnt killing pc gaming, piracy is.warmaster670

People who delusionally thinks raging at piracy is of any use to anything or anyone and thinks companies are entitled to do what they want with legit customers as long as it's labelled "counter-piracy measure" isn't helping either.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts
I'm sorry but whilst it's easy to pirate software on PC, it can't be used as an excuse for lack of sales etc, as its ALMOST as easy to pirate games on a 360, yet they still sell quite well. Something else is up here.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
I'm sorry but whilst it's easy to pirate software on PC, it can't be used as an excuse for lack of sales etc, as its ALMOST as easy to pirate games on a 360, yet they still sell quite well. Something else is up here.WAJ
Don't you have to mod your console though? And if Live picks up on it, they do ban you from Live. Not sure about the PS network. It takes a bit more effort to get a pirated game running on a console than on a PC, but if someone wants to, there is nothing stopping them.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

not saying i'm hyping for the game... but i don't see what the big deal is with the DRM. most of us have internet on ALL THE TIME anyway. companies are entitled to protect their properties, regardless of what the measures are and how they are implemented. unlike the pirates and their acolytes, Ubisoft is not doing anything wrong or illegal.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
[QUOTE="WAJ"]I'm sorry but whilst it's easy to pirate software on PC, it can't be used as an excuse for lack of sales etc, as its ALMOST as easy to pirate games on a 360, yet they still sell quite well. Something else is up here.zomglolcats
Don't you have to mod your console though? And if Live picks up on it, they do ban you from Live. Not sure about the PS network. It takes a bit more effort to get a pirated game running on a console than on a PC, but if someone wants to, there is nothing stopping them.

Yeah, it's really not anywhere near as easy to pirate on consoles. PS3 it's pretty much impossible, and while the 360 has it's share of pirates, it requires you to actually mod it and then there's the whole things with Microsoft being able to ban you. They just banned a million people a few months ago too...not only does this kill any online capabilities but also makes it so you can't stream movies/pictures/ect to your 360. I hear it also corrupts saved games in some cases... And the only delusional people here are the ones pissed at the people trying to protect their products, and not the people causing this reaction. Misguided as Ubisofts efforts may be...in the end it's a reaction to the MILLIONS of people ripping off their hard work. Enough with the pirate apologist non-sense...it's easy to get pissed when it's not your millions of dollars on the line, or when you don't have share-holders breathing down your neck.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

not saying i'm hyping for the game... but i don't see what the big deal is with the DRM. most of us have internet on ALL THE TIME anyway. companies are entitled to protect their properties, regardless of what the measures are and how they are implemented. unlike the pirates and their acolytes, Ubisoft is not doing anything wrong or illegal.

Jinroh_basic
Except for times when the internet goes down, or if you have spotty service in the first place. Say the internet goes down and every PC game maker has adopted this DRM, you want to play a single player game to pass the time? Too bad you can't.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"][QUOTE="WAJ"]I'm sorry but whilst it's easy to pirate software on PC, it can't be used as an excuse for lack of sales etc, as its ALMOST as easy to pirate games on a 360, yet they still sell quite well. Something else is up here.Renevent42

Yeah, it's really not anywhere near as easy to pirate on consoles. PS3 it's pretty much impossible, and while the 360 has it's share of pirates, it requires you to actually mod it and then there's the whole things with Microsoft being able to ban you. They just banned a million people a few months ago too...not only does this kill any online capabilities but also makes it so you can't stream movies/pictures/ect to your 360. I hear it also corrupts saved games in some cases... And the only delusional people here are the ones pissed at the people trying to protect their products, and not the people causing this reaction. Misguided as Ubisofts efforts may be...in the end it's a reaction to the MILLIONS of people ripping off their hard work. Enough with the pirate apologist non-sense...it's easy to get pissed when it's not your millions of dollars on the line, or when you don't have share-holders breathing down your neck.

Yeah as much as I dislike this form of DRM, I'm not going to go pirate it either. That's wrong as well. I'm perfectly fine with not playing this game.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

General_X
Except for times when the internet goes down, or if you have spotty service in the first place. Say the internet goes down and every PC game maker has adopted this DRM, you want to play a single player game to pass the time? Too bad you can't.

I don't really like this DRM either, but honestly (at least for me) that example is such a non-issue it doesn't really bother me. Year over year I might have 2-3 times where I don't have internet, and maybe a couple hours at a time. I live in south florida too, where there's pretty crappy weather. It just doesn't really affect me in any meaningful way. I understand some might consider this unacceptable, and that's fine I guess. Personally I won't be purchasing AC2 anyways...but if a game I wanted did have this DRM it wouldn't stop me from purchasing it.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Guys, there is a sticky already. We don't need a new topic on this.