Retro Trend Among PC Gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

johnnyb47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 johnnyb47
Member since 2004 • 408 Posts

I am currently 20, and I've grown up with games such as System Shock, Freespace 2, Homeworld, Baldur's Gate, Mechwarrior, Falcon 4.0, and so on. It seems to me that now PC gamers are starting to "rediscover" all of these classics, behaviour I hadn't noticed when the games listed above where new. I came to question myself about this after noticing in the past months a rather steep rise in threads asking about old games or any possible sequels to '90s classics.

Now, my question to you is whether this "trend" is new, or if PC gamers have always acted this way towards older games but I wasn't really paying attention. And if this is a new trend, or at least the scale at which this is happening has increased dramatically, what do you believe to be the cause?

pr4n4y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 pr4n4y
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
the only older games any of my friends still play are D2 so i have to say no :P
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I still paly few of my favourite games even now like d2, homm3, starcraft from time and time again, so i will say yes even though i am not so sure that if it is a new trend or not. I always play old games from time to time :)
Protoford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Protoford
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts

It's not a NEW trend, it's a constant trend.

Folk go back and forth, all the time!

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
It sure as hell is not a new trend, it has always happened and will always happen
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Well, while it may not be a completely new trend, I think that it's naturally growing as gaming gets older, I imagine it was pretty difficult to be a retro gamer in the 80s... I also have recently played some older games such as transport tycoon and Fallout and enjoyed them more than many new ones. So I guess I would say yes.
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I've been playing and replaying PC games for nearly quarter of a century (since my college days - damn I feel old) and I'd say nostalgia's a powerful thing. I just get urges to replay some of the old classics now and then. I also try to encourage new PC gamers to expand their horizons beyond the pretty pixels of modern games and try out some of the games of yesteryear. Some people these days just don't know what they missed out on.

Great games should never be allowed to die, just like classic movies deserve multiple viewings.

I would say that I've been revisiting some older games recently simply because some of the newer games aren't as satisfying as they should be. When some of those new games start hitting the shelves later this year, I'll probably be too busy trying those out.

19chevelle72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 19chevelle72
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts

Not a trend at all. Think about this. Ultima Online an MMORPG thats been up for like 10 years.. say that with me 10 YEARS. Is still up and running. Quake 1 is still up and running with hundreds of servers. Starcraft, warcraft, Soldier of Fortune, Baldurs Gate etc etc etc Still up and running.

My point being, since PC gaming can make communities and mods because of the internet. Not much of it has truly died off. As compared to console gaming, where you could only play with people at your house long ago before Xbox live, and PS's whatever they have. But I bet if somone made a LEGIT program, or hardware package that let you say 'Play super techmo Bowl with other people online back then' I think people would still be playing Super Techmo Bowl, Gold eye, etc. (I mean back when they were semi-new, Im sure now you can via emulators n such but now there is no following really)

jodamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#9 jodamn
Member since 2007 • 893 Posts
I bet it's always been that way, but you're just noticing it now. I have always had a special place for certain games I played when I was younger, and I bet a lot of gamers feel the same way. I imagine I'll be replaying chrono trigger every year for the rest of my life. Also, it's not entirely subjective - some of the games back then were just made with more love. 8) System shock 2 -still- creeps me out...
Avatar image for deactivated-591d19704318a
deactivated-591d19704318a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-591d19704318a
Member since 2003 • 123 Posts

to put it shortly-

No I don't think its a new trend at all. Over the years several games have been released that graphics aside have incredibly fun gameplay. I still enjoy old NES games thru emulation. Im even beating KOTOR2 a second go, and to be honest im suprised how different its going this go round.

there's plenty of good older games out there to play but they sure aren't the same as the new ones

the technology keeps advancing and im all about it!

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

I think this is something that has always happened on the PC....

Mods can make even old games enjoyable.

+ a lot of PC games....especially the older ones, have a layer of complexity well beyond what is seen on consoles.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I would say that it is not new.
AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlphaHumana
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

Many people, on these boards for example, may seem to be bringing up our old favorites because there really hasn't been a "must see" game that's come out in some time - since Oblivion I guess you could say. I've played other fantastic games since then (notably Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dreamfall:TLJ, both of which I loved) but they really didn't get all that much attention, it seems.

Just my opinion, of course, but whenever we come across a dry spell I play through some of my old favorite adventure games. I may just have to replay all four Broken Sword games while I wait for the NWN2 expansion ;) sounds about right.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I don't know very many other PC gamers to say if it's a trend or not. Anyway, I may have been born in 1990, but I've still got a vested interest in old games. Hell, what I consider the greatest game of all time was originally released in 1992, and I didn't even play it until UQM 0.4.0 about a year or two back! I'm also looking into non-IBM home computers that happened to excel in gaming like the Amiga and FM-TOWNS, and enjoying their classics through the wonders of emulation(at least for the Amiga; there's only one game I know for sure that I'd mess with a FM-TOWNS emulator for, and it's all in Japanese, which I cannot comprehend). I don't always play 1980s-early 1990s titles, though. I played the hell out of a Rocket Jockey demo, and around 2006 or so(which would be a full TEN YEARS after the game's release), I bought a copy online to get the full experience-more arenas, multiplayer, and an addictive surf guitar soundtrack. My father also bought a copy of Magic Carpet 2, and I played it a lot while I still had it(the CD, manual, and box are sitting around in Virginia somewhere, and I've since moved to Georgia...I want that game back!). I also picked up System Shock 2 when it was new and filling store shelves with no info on it other than a short magazine article. Best impulse purchase of my life, hands down. (Unfortunately, I had never even heard of System Shock 1 beforehand.) I was also given copies of Descent 3 and Freespace + Silent Threat by some friends, and played those for a bit. However, there were many obscure and not-so-obscure titles I didn't hear about until I became addicted to the Internet somewhere in the last four or five years. Starflight(mentioned on UQM forums quite a bit), Cannon Fodder(an Amiga gamer's favorite), Speedball 2(another Amiga gamer must-have), Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri(mentioned on TTLG), Falcon 4.0(decided to get into flight sims again, long after the days of F-15 Strike Eagle II and F-117 Stealth Fighter, and found this title on HotU), Independence War 1 and 2(also decided to get into space "sims" again, and heard a few people mentioning these titles and their realistic Newtonian flight models), Outcast(mentioned on HotU and TTLG), Anachronox(mentioned on TTLG, and I've seen the machinima), Fallout(pretty much any and every game forum), Baldur's Gate I and II(pretty much any and every game forum), Planescape: Torment(pretty much any and every gaming forum), the Ultima and Wizardry series(both of which have an occasional mention on various game forums), any of LucasArts' point-and-click adventures(pretty much any and every game forum), Beneath a Steel Sky(freely available from the ScummVM page), and countless other games. So, why am I interested in all of these older games? First off, I haven't even had the opportunity to play them back when they were new, given my rather young age. Second, an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512 MB of DDR-266 in single-channel, and an ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB just won't cut it for today's games. Third, and most importantly(so important that I'm giving it its own line for emphasis), truly classic games can be enjoyed at any point in time, no nostalgia necessary. Why else would I call a 1992 title the greatest game of all time?
PCgamerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PCgamerX
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

I am 20, but I did not start gaming until 2002, when I was 15. Once I really got into PC gaming, I decided that I owed it to myself to try as many of the classics as I could. Since then I have tried out a lot of older games-- Half-Life, StarCraft, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D. The greatest thing about old games is that you can usually buy used copies of them online for less than $10.

The main thing I have noticed about classic games, though, is that they generally do have some features that were probably very innovative at the time, but most of them don't stand up to more recent games in their genre because games are constantly improving. Some 'classic' games do have a very special feel to them, but others just seem like crap versions of more recent games. I think it is definitely worth playing them for the historical aspect, though. Also, older gamers probably enjoy the nostalgia of going back and playing some of their favorite games sometimes.

Lord_Tigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 Lord_Tigger
Member since 2002 • 228 Posts
Playing older games is a great way to stay entertained for cheaper cost. 1) you don't have to upgrade as much and 2) the games are usually half what they were at release. I've been buying a few older games off of eBay and I'm enjoying some missed classics.
AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlphaHumana

...Also, older gamers probably enjoy the nostalgia of going back and playing some of their favorite games sometimes.

PCgamerX

Amen to that! It's amazing how vividly I can still recall some obscure puzzle solution from an ancient King's Quest or Space Quest game from what seems like a different world ago compared to games these days. Yet, I don't know where I put my car keys a couple hours ago ;)

ananda81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ananda81
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
[QUOTE="PCgamerX"]

...Also, older gamers probably enjoy the nostalgia of going back and playing some of their favorite games sometimes.

AlphaHumana

Amen to that! It's amazing how vividly I can still recall some obscure puzzle solution from an ancient King's Quest or Space Quest game from what seems like a different world ago compared to games these days. Yet, I don't know where I put my car keys a couple hours ago ;)

^ Ditto! XD

All the great point&click Adventure Game Classics from LucasArts + Sierra...I hope they will make a BIG comeback one day!!!

imortal986201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 imortal986201
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

This trend is not new to me. The other day ago I was bored and found my self playing Need for Speed Porche Unleashed. I've loved almost all the NFS games but I Porche Unleashed was my fav and I couldn't help going back. Dating myself even more I also busted out my copy of Castle of the Winds.

el_carl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 el_carl
Member since 2006 • 2376 Posts
Just yesterday I pulled out my copy of AoE 2 and the expansion and had some LAN battles with my brother. Still fun, even now.
ananda81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ananda81
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts

Just yesterday I pulled out my copy of AoE 2 and the expansion and had some LAN battles with my brother. Still fun, even now.el_carl

Age of Empires 2 is so much more fun then AoE3. IMHO

axeman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 axeman87
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts

Not new mate. I only stopped playing Diablo2 about 12 months ago. I played the first one, something like, 10 years ago. If LOKI doesn't give me my D2 fix (TitanQuest sure didn't)I will probaly go back to it, even though I have clocked it coutless times.

How about Chess and Mah-jong games? they are the oldest games ever. Chess, as we know it, has been around since the 15th century, and Mah-jong since 500BC!, now THATS retro!

dmb34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 dmb34
Member since 2004 • 1102 Posts
I have several oldgames that I dont plan on getting rid of. If it's good why get rid of it? still play mechwarrior-quake3 - diablo etc along with all of the latest eyecandy games.
AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlphaHumana
[QUOTE="AlphaHumana"][QUOTE="PCgamerX"]

ananda81

^ Ditto! XD

All the great point&click Adventure Game Classics from LucasArts + Sierra...I hope they will make a BIG comeback one day!!!

I so agree, I really hope we see a return to them in a big way. Definitely the good ole days! The genre that was once filled with so many memorable gems now brings us Runaway 2 (the latest "new" point and click I've played.) I mean, it was mildly enjoyable, but I'm not going to remember that game in 5 years - the game is only a few months old and I already forget the main character's name! And I still remember "hiden goseke" is the password to the brigand's base in Quest for Glory 1 haha!

edit: typo

nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

Nothing new nor not a trend.

It's akin to putting a Rolling Stones or Velvet Underground CD on or watching a 60's to 70's movie. People replay and relive older classics in a number of entertainment fora.

8)