• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cluclap
Member since 2007 • 888 Posts

And how everyone ran to the PC store upgrading their PC's on how it revolutionized PC graphics? Is there any game you guys wanted to play so bad that you had to do a major overhaul on that dusty gaming rig?

Here's some games I upgraded for...

Doom 3

Quake 4

Assassin's

I KNOW RIGHT?^^ (No Crysis)

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

2002: Counter-Strike

2005: F.E.A.R.

2007: Crysis

I didn't have to upgrade to play, but to max them out. For Crysis' I came close but no cigar.

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts

I didn't have to upgrade for Quake 4 but I had to for FEAR it was much more demanding and better looking.

thoraxe42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thoraxe42
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

Burnout Paradise

DigiTM73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DigiTM73
Member since 2009 • 801 Posts

Had to upgrade for the following:- Doom3, FEAR, then Crysis, now GTA4. Hope this latest upgrade will last a bit longer.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

I upgraded for World in Conflict in 2008

Avatar image for guardiankitty10
guardiankitty10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 guardiankitty10
Member since 2005 • 1011 Posts

had to upgrade for any game that wasnt stone age graphics but i bought a new pc for oblivion and garrys mod.

cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cluclap

Had to upgrade for the following:- Doom3, FEAR, then Crysis, now GTA4. Hope this latest upgrade will last a bit longer.

DigiTM73
I hope mine will too, but I think it might be time for another one though, GTA 4 is kinda choppy...
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Crysis for sure, but I didn't upgarde enough :P Bioshock actually got me to upgrade because my old SM 2.0 card hard real problems running it, even with the cool mod some guy made it was not pretty.
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cluclap
Crysis for sure, but I didn't upgarde enough :P Bioshock actually got me to upgrade because my old SM 2.0 card hard real problems running it, even with the cool mod some guy made it was not pretty.nutcrackr
lol, i saw some sm 2 mod on youtube, I knew instantly it was fake, there's just too much stuff sm2 can't pull off.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
In 2004, I upgraded for Prince of Persia - SoT and FarCry. A few months ago I replaced that PC.. really, just to play any recent games. Mostly, I'm hoping Starcraft II and Diablo III will run this new rig.
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cluclap

In 2004, I upgraded for Prince of Persia - SoT and FarCry. A few months ago I replaced that PC.. really, just to play any recent games. Mostly, I'm hoping Starcraft II and Diablo III will run this new rig.flipin_jackass
My next system i biuld is gonna be a dream... 30" monitor 3 gtx 285 in tri sli i7 920 blu ray drive two terabyte harddrives windows 7 12 gb's of corsair ram 1500W PSU and a naked lady to install my games for me.

Skeptomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Skeptomania
Member since 2004 • 8104 Posts

I disagree that everyone was upgrading just for Doom3. There were a number of other games that were also expected to come out at the same time that were tempting people to upgrade their PC. Half-life 2 being another game that was supposed to release soon after Doom 3.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
I don't upgrade for a specific game cause I don't really stay on one game for too long. I just upgrade whenever I get a particularly fat paycheque and my rig feels too old.
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cluclap

I disagree that everyone was upgrading just for Doom3. There were a number of other games that were also expected to come out at the same time that were tempting people to upgrade their PC. Half-life 2 being another game that was supposed to release soon after Doom 3.

Skeptomania
I upgraded solely to show my friends, we had about a week of oohs and aahs before i realized the game was shallow and repetitive.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]In 2004, I upgraded for Prince of Persia - SoT and FarCry. A few months ago I replaced that PC.. really, just to play any recent games. Mostly, I'm hoping Starcraft II and Diablo III will run this new rig.cluclap

My next system i biuld is gonna be a dream... 30" monitor 3 gtx 285 in tri sli i7 920 blu ray drive two terabyte harddrives windows 7 12 gb's of corsair ram 1500W PSU and a naked lady to install my games for me.

So what game are you upgrading for this time OP?
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cluclap
[QUOTE="cluclap"]

[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]In 2004, I upgraded for Prince of Persia - SoT and FarCry. A few months ago I replaced that PC.. really, just to play any recent games. Mostly, I'm hoping Starcraft II and Diablo III will run this new rig.flipin_jackass

So what game are you upgrading for this time OP?

PROJECT OFSET BABY!!! WOOO!!!!, or crysis 2 if the graphics are more badass than crysis 1... Let's hope that they use a proprietary engine for the PC version...
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

Ah yes, Doom 3

The hightech marines there were too stupid and incompetent to use a flashlight and a weapon at that same time.

Technology to colonize Mars but adding a flashlight to your gun - wow wow wow, are you trying to make this game unrealistic

What a bunch of lamers

Noobivore36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Noobivore36
Member since 2009 • 132 Posts

I just upgraded to my new snazzy laptop rig (specs in sig) to play most of today's most demanding games (Dawn of War 2, World in Conflict, Empire: Total War, and Fallout 3 to name a few) on high settings at 1920 X 1200. They run silky smooth like the Zohan's hairstyle :)

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Is the middle one... Quake? I haven't played the Quake series before. I was thinking about picking up the most recent single player one.
Skeptomania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Skeptomania
Member since 2004 • 8104 Posts

Is the middle one... Quake? I haven't played the Quake series before. I was thinking about picking up the most recent single player one. Swiftstrike5

The middle pic is FEAR. Quake 4 is garbage. FEAR is a better game.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]Is the middle one... Quake? I haven't played the Quake series before. I was thinking about picking up the most recent single player one. Skeptomania

I just figured out that it was linked the the original picture.

http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/tt256/cluclap/?action=view¤t=Quake_4_01.jpg

I've already played the orginal FEAR (and expansion). I have no interest in the second one, which is terribad.

cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cluclap

[QUOTE="Skeptomania"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]Is the middle one... Quake? I haven't played the Quake series before. I was thinking about picking up the most recent single player one. Swiftstrike5

I've already played the orginal FEAR (and expansion). I have no interest in the second one, which is terribad.

Yeah it's Quake 4, and F.E.A.R. is better, but Quake 4 is by no means garbage... I do admit though, without scrolling over that pic does look alot like F.E.A.R.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Is there any game you guys wanted to play so bad that you had to do a major overhaul on that dusty gaming rig?

cluclap

Let's see...

I built my first own PC in 2001 (before that I was using my older brother's PC)

Upgrade #1 was a better graphics card (Radeon 9600) in around 2003, for Battlefield 1942 (Voodoo 4 just wouldn't cut it anymore)

Upgrade #2 was in 2004 for Thief: Deadly Shadows. I bought a new rig with AMD 64 3000+, Radeon x800, 1 GB ram IIRC.

Upgrade #3, this nice rig lasted me for years, before it broke down in early 2007. Crysis was coming, so I figured what the hell - I got a new PC with Core 2 Duo 2.4, Geforce 8800 GTS and 2 GB ram.

And... that's it! Huh, weird. I've only upgraded three times during the course of 8 years. And since there aren't really that many games that require insane hardware these days, I don't think I'm gonna upgrade until... let's say 2011-2012.

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts

Basically any game, my old pc couldn't even run warcraft III, now I can max out crysis warhead.

cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cluclap

Basically any game, my old pc couldn't even run warcraft III, now I can max out crysis warhead.

Tuky06
me too
ferran82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 ferran82
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

Believe or not, I upgraded for civ4 (yes, my pc was not stone age, but renaissance :P). Just wanted to play that game so bad, as I was hooked to civ2 for a long, long time.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]Is the middle one... Quake? I haven't played the Quake series before. I was thinking about picking up the most recent single player one. Skeptomania

LOL it's Quake 4, which was an awesome game. Your opinion is moot if you can't even tell a screen apart from FEAR and Quake 4. :/

cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cluclap
[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

[QUOTE="Skeptomania"]

LOL it's Quake 4, which was an awesome game.

I agree...
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cluclap

Believe or not, I upgraded for civ4 (yes, my pc was not stone age, but renaissance :P). Just wanted to play that game so bad, as I was hooked to civ2 for a long, long time.

ferran82
I never played civilization before...
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
before 5 years or so Legacy of kain defiance was released.i went cray for it and bought it right away justo find out that my BS graphics chip couldnt handle it.lol in fact this game was the game that made me know that there is something called video cards that are used to run games.after 1 year of savings i got the 5200FX and went crazy. 6 months ago ai got the 8500GT generally for gaming.it cost me 100$
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cluclap
before 5 years or so Legacy of kain defiance was released.i went cray for it and bought it right away justo find out that my BS graphics chip couldnt handle it.lol in fact this game was the game that made me know that there is something called video cards that are used to run games.after 1 year of savings i got the 5200FX and went crazy. 6 months ago ai got the 8500GT generally for gaming.it cost me 100$GazaAli
I had a 5200FX for Doom 3 lol...
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I actually upgraded in anticipation of Arma 2.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
doom 3 looks amazingly well for its time, and its a damn long game, defently a buy compare to the crap out there nowadays...
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GazaAli
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]before 5 years or so Legacy of kain defiance was released.i went cray for it and bought it right away justo find out that my BS graphics chip couldnt handle it.lol in fact this game was the game that made me know that there is something called video cards that are used to run games.after 1 year of savings i got the 5200FX and went crazy. 6 months ago ai got the 8500GT generally for gaming.it cost me 100$cluclap

lol you reminded me,one of the first games i have tried with this card was doom3.did you have the dam problem about OpenGl when you first got the card? i did.everytime i tried to play the game,a blue console screen appears telling me something related to OpebGL is missing.i contacted activision and they finally told me to upgrade the driver,which worked but missed up the whole windows install
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cluclap
[QUOTE="cluclap"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]before 5 years or so Legacy of kain defiance was released.i went cray for it and bought it right away justo find out that my BS graphics chip couldnt handle it.lol in fact this game was the game that made me know that there is something called video cards that are used to run games.after 1 year of savings i got the 5200FX and went crazy. 6 months ago ai got the 8500GT generally for gaming.it cost me 100$GazaAli

lol you reminded me,one of the first games i have tried with this card was doom3.did you have the dam problem about OpenGl when you first got the card? i did.everytime i tried to play the game,a blue console screen appears telling me something related to OpebGL is missing.i contacted activision and they finally told me to upgrade the driver,which worked but missed up the whole windows install

I had no problem, but I ended up upgraded my ram as well, the game was hella slow on the 128mb of ram i had in the pc... Brings back Memories...
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I didn't upgrade for doom 3 or Quake 4, not until my graphics card got so old and used it couldn't handle the graphics of even older games did i build my custom computer.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I bought my first PC in 2001, and I updated it for LOTR Return Of The King, I bought a 64MB card..MX4000 I think...I updated my PC later in 2005, for Battlefield 2, I bought the card and when I sat down to play, I discovered the card didn't run BF2 well enough even on the lowest settings, on 2006 I bought Oblivion and it didn't run well on my 128 MB card, I bought a 256 card, and again, when I sat down to play, problems. But this time it was my GPU, too slow...I gave up upgrading my PC until last year I bought a new one and really got into PC Gaming.
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cluclap
I bought my first PC in 2001, and I updated it for LOTR Return Of The King, I bought a 64MB card..MX4000 I think...I updated my PC later in 2005, for Battlefield 2, I bought the card and when I sat down to play, I discovered the card didn't run BF2 well enough even on the lowest settings, on 2006 I bought Oblivion and it didn't run well on my 128 MB card, I bought a 256 card, and again, when I sat down to play, problems. But this time it was my GPU, too slow...I gave up upgrading my PC until last year I bought a new one and really got into PC Gaming. rmfd341
I think a lot of people had problems with Oblivion, it was just one of those games like Assassin's Creed that was never satisfied with what you had...
cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cluclap
doom 3 looks amazingly well for its time, and its a damn long game, defently a buy compare to the crap out there nowadays...dakan45
Yeah, Doom 3 has aged very well, actually Far Cry has too, Half life 2? Not so much, but it still looks good though...
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="cluclap"] I had a 5200FX for Doom 3 lol...cluclap

I had no problem, but I ended up upgraded my ram as well, the game was hella slow on the 128mb of ram i had in the pc... Brings back Memories...

well i was smarter with my so called "rig" that i got another 128mb of ram along with the 5200.smart ha,gaming rig XD

cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cluclap

[QUOTE="cluclap"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] lol you reminded me,one of the first games i have tried with this card was doom3.did you have the dam problem about OpenGl when you first got the card? i did.everytime i tried to play the game,a blue console screen appears telling me something related to OpebGL is missing.i contacted activision and they finally told me to upgrade the driver,which worked but missed up the whole windows installGazaAli

well i was smarter with my so called "rig" that i got another 128mb of ram along with the 5200.smart ha,gaming rig XD

Yeah, i don't think that the standard "rig" today comes with less than 4GB of ram...
TMallory2482

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TMallory2482
Member since 2007 • 264 Posts

My first upgrade, which was about 14 months ago, was one of only two upgrades I made. In that case, I got a whole new computer, because I was sick of having a 6800 Ultra and a Pentium 4. I upgraded again at Christmas from my E2160 dual core to the E8400, which allowed me to get a better experience from games like Crysis/Warhead, Far Cry 2, and pretty much all other games that required more horsepower than my measely 1.8ghz dual core could handle.

But yeah, I don't plan on making any huge upgrades for awhile. I'll probably get a new video card and cpu fan/heatsink around Christmas, and then make the upgrade to quad core next year. My current setup (8800GTS 512/E8400/4gb RAM) has served me very well.

missjenny69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 missjenny69
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts
Sick NICE pics !!
MangaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 MangaJ
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

In 2004, I upgraded for Prince of Persia - SoT and FarCry. A few months ago I replaced that PC.. really, just to play any recent games. Mostly, I'm hoping Starcraft II and Diablo III will run this new rig.flipin_jackass

I'm with this guy. I just bought a new gaming pc a few days ago to play all the cool games I missed out in the past couple of years. And Diablo III is going to be nice.:) I work with the niece of one of the developers, and she says he told her that it's not coming out for a really long time :(

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="dakan45"]doom 3 looks amazingly well for its time, and its a damn long game, defently a buy compare to the crap out there nowadays...cluclap
Yeah, Doom 3 has aged very well, actually Far Cry has too, Half life 2? Not so much, but it still looks good though...

I agree with you on Doom 3 but not Far Cry, it looks like cartoon graphics now. Everything is too bright and cheery. And HL2 has aged incredibly well IMHO.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 psn8214

[QUOTE="cluclap"][QUOTE="dakan45"]doom 3 looks amazingly well for its time, and its a damn long game, defently a buy compare to the crap out there nowadays...Gooeykat

I agree with you on Doom 3 but not Far Cry, it looks like cartoon graphics now. Everything is too bright and cheery. And HL2 has aged incredibly well IMHO.

Yeah, I think Half Life 2 has aged a lot better than both Doom 3 and Far Cry...

cluclap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cluclap

My first upgrade, which was about 14 months ago, was one of only two upgrades I made. In that case, I got a whole new computer, because I was sick of having a 6800 Ultra and a Pentium 4. I upgraded again at Christmas from my E2160 dual core to the E8400, which allowed me to get a better experience from games like Crysis/Warhead, Far Cry 2, and pretty much all other games that required more horsepower than my measely 1.8ghz dual core could handle.

But yeah, I don't plan on making any huge upgrades for awhile. I'll probably get a new video card and cpu fan/heatsink around Christmas, and then make the upgrade to quad core next year. My current setup (8800GTS 512/E8400/4gb RAM) has served me very well.

TMallory2482
Do you guys have a hassle upgrading your CPU's? because I thought about doing it, but i was afraid of messing up my whole mobo...
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
The only games incoming that I might upgrade for are SWTOR & Dragon Age.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 psn8214

[QUOTE="TMallory2482"]

cluclap

Do you guys have a hassle upgrading your CPU's? because I thought about doing it, but i was afraid of messing up my whole mobo...

As long as you read up on what to do its not a particularly tricky process...