***POLL*** Fallout 3 vs New Vegas........FIGHT!

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hilarious22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Hilarious22
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have recently bought NV and have played Fallout 3 at my cousins house. I have played a good couple of hours of NV and have found it annoying with haveing to constantly reload a save because of freezes and glitches, but i feel as if there is more freedom and quests in NV. Fallout 3 seems like a great game especially since could now buy the GOTY edition. Should I continue playing NV and wait for an update or should I buy Fallout 3?
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#52 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I know, but I mean, when FO3 came out, it was all everyone could rave about. It seems to be getting a lot of flak lately now that New Vegas has arrived. Why is that? Adam_the_Nerd
Read my post earlier, it suffers from this rather steep decline - that in retrospect, fails to leave a good impression.

There is no doubt that the first 15-20 hours of FO3 were solid... but once reality hit--where you realise exploration equated to aimless/unrewarding wandering, where you found out how minute the quests were in quantity and quality, where you realised that you have to spend quite abit of time in those dreadfully designed subways (and with an annoying point light rather than a directional one to properly orientate yourself), where that survivalist aspect dissipates after 10 or so hours--The game fell apart leaving quite alot to be desired even if I liked that brief giant robot thing at the end.

FO:NV was able to address FO3s problems: to sustain its interest for quite some time; from the underlying management game in the hardcore mode that had you on your toes using whatever you got, the structured quests, the challanges--which were presented to you through exploring--and the characters were just alot more fleshed out as with the lore which had a more seamless history that spread across the Mojave (and not hidden in stupid terminals) and on top of that I dont think there is any arguing about how improved the underlying game mechanics are.

dsownge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 dsownge
Member since 2005 • 2393 Posts

I voted both games suck because these games have nasty performance problems until a patch or someone fixes it with mods. I'm hoping that the new elder scrolls to not be the same.

I think fallout 3 is better in exploring and getting the fallout feel than new vegas. Both games are incredible with mods.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10544 Posts

i think for me it was a bit of bioshock 2 syndrome. whilst superior in many aspects i couldn't help but feel i'd already been there and done that in the previous game so it didnt have the same impact as its predecessor

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#55 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

By a nose, New Vegas. It has a better plot, characters and voice-acting, and some of the minor gameplay improvements make it slightly better to play. It has its fair share of glitches and bugs, but they aren't a major issue. I really love Fallout 3, and that wins in terms of scale and awe-factor of environment (The Capital Wasteland is a more dramatic location than the Mojave Wasteland). However, Fallout 3's main questline was underdeveloped. New Vegas gives you a complicated political and social environment and askes you to choose who is going to come out victorious. New Vegas does kind of feel like "The Real Fallout 3", but that doesn't mean Fallout 3 isn't a great experience.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
New Vegas. It's the closest thing we have had to an actual Fallout game in years. Who'd have thought.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="Adam_the_Nerd"]I know, but I mean, when FO3 came out, it was all everyone could rave about. It seems to be getting a lot of flak lately now that New Vegas has arrived. Why is that? illmatic87

Read my post earlier, it suffers from this rather steep decline - that in retrospect, fails to leave a good impression.

There is no doubt that the first 15-20 hours of FO3 were solid... but once reality hit--where you realise exploration equated to aimless/unrewarding wandering, where you found out how minute the quests were in quantity and quality, where you realised that you have to spend quite abit of time in those dreadfully designed subways (and with an annoying point light rather than a directional one to properly orientate yourself), where that survivalist aspect dissipates after 10 or so hours--The game fell apart leaving quite alot to be desired even if I liked that brief giant robot thing at the end.

FO:NV was able to address FO3s problems: to sustain its interest for quite some time; from the underlying management game in the hardcore mode that had you on your toes using whatever you got, the structured quests, the challanges--which were presented to you through exploring--and the characters were just alot more fleshed out as with the lore which had a more seamless history that spread across the Mojave (and not hidden in stupid terminals) and on top of that I dont think there is any arguing about how improved the underlying game mechanics are.

There were many memorable moments for me in Fallout 3: when I first went to downtown D.C., the behemoth, the story with my character's dad, tranquility lane, all those crazy experiments, the various madmen and gangs, blowing up megaton, the living tree, the ending scene etc.

Lithos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 Lithos_
Member since 2008 • 1017 Posts

New Vegas is a thousand miles better RPG.

Fallout 3 is a better action game.

And they are both a hell of a fun ride!

One thing in FO3 is really better: it really looks like a post-nuclear war game, while New Vegas looks more like an abandoned desert. One thing I miss in New Vegas are these kind of environments.

And another thing: the amount of bugs in New Vegas is simply ridiculous, by far it's the most buggy game I've ever played. Some are even quest-breaking, while a lot of them are immersion-breakers, like when you talk to someone who is typing at an invisible typewriter. They just released the game in beta stage. Fact.

At least we have very funny moments like this one: :lol:

pic

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Euclid's C-Finder with God Mode on(infinite ammo). Nuff said.
Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts

[QUOTE="Adam_the_Nerd"]I know, but I mean, when FO3 came out, it was all everyone could rave about. It seems to be getting a lot of flak lately now that New Vegas has arrived. Why is that? illmatic87

Makes sense. Most reviewers do not finish games before reviewing them. They play them for about 15-20 hours - which, logically, is long enough to judge a game's quality - then they stop.

I guess I'll be playing NV, as I have not played FO3.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
don't play new vegas without playing fallout 3. First you'll be missing out fallout 3 is a great game and it will ruin new vegas for you if you don't play fallout 3 first
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
don't play new vegas without playing fallout 3. First you'll be missing out fallout 3 is a great game and it will ruin new vegas for you if you don't play fallout 3 firstevildead6789
Don't play either of those without playing Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. First you'll be missing out fallout 1 and fallout 2 are great games and it will ruin fallout 3 and new vegas for you if you don't play Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 first.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

lol, F:NV just keeps widening the lead over F3.

it's nice to see the loudest bunch of this forum is simply that, the loudest doesn't represent the majority view.

btw, F3 can be skipped if you want fallout gaming experience (fallout 1-2, tactics, and New Vegas).

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 commander

it's nice to see the loudest bunch of this forum is simply that, the loudest doesn't represent the majority view.

btw, F3 can be skipped if you want fallout gaming experience (fallout 1-2, tactics, and New Vegas).

teardropmina

As much as you may have liked fallout 1&2 and new vegas. Fallout 3 is still a great game imo. I like new vegas too. I've never played fallout 1&2 though

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

teardropmina

Yep, it looks like I may be passing over Fallout 3 in favor of New Vegas.......I'm very happy this thread has been popular.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Thanks all for voting!

New Vegas it is then.

Also, hopefully this thread helped those on the fence to make a choice.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 commander
you actually going to play new vega instead of fallout 3. You can play new vegas later, can't you see the review scores, new vegas is a sequel to fallout 3 and it's a good sequel. Do yourself a favor and play fallout 3 first.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#68 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

New Vegas was a million times better then Fallout 3 in my opinion. It just had more of a Fallout feel to it and really stuck with the Fallout lore. Had a blast with that game played it over 100 hours with 2 play throughs.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 commander

New Vegas was a million times better then Fallout 3 in my opinion. It just had more of a Fallout feel to it and really stuck with the Fallout lore. Had a blast with that game played it over 100 hours with 2 play throughs.

nooblet69

New vegas just has a lot of success here in this poll because a lot of fanboys of fallout1&2 are here. Missing out on fallout 3 is just a shame. The game is of very high quality. Fallout new vegas just expands on that.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#70 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Thanks all for voting!

New Vegas it is then.

Also, hopefully this thread helped those on the fence to make a choice.

AFBrat77

Enjoy! I am playing thru it once again right now (:

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

evildead6789

New vegas just has a lot of success here in this poll because a lot of fanboys of fallout1&2 are here. Missing out on fallout 3 is just a shame. The game is of very high quality. Fallout new vegas just expands on that.

You don't need to have played FO3 to play 1. As far as Fallout canon is concerned 3 is entirely derivative, while New Vegas actively references the first and second. While mechanically similar (as well as cetain strong design ethics) New Vegas and FO3's associations end there. Three isn't a bad game, is simply isn't a good RPG next to New Vegas which offers far more depth, stronger characters, and a much more interesting plot. Ontop of this it actually follows Fallout canon and themes (as well as humour); in this regard it is closer to the first and second. Because we are talking about games that are Fallout sequels. The downsides being the jarring introduction (which Fallout games admittedly have had in the past), plethora of bugs and dated engine (which is all too similar to Three).
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 commander
Well it has been two years since i played fallout 3 and i played fallout 3 on my xbox. I'm playing vegas on my pc. I can't see such a big difference in quality though but like i said it was two years ago and i sold the game so i can't really compare. Anyway since all you vegas experts are here. I've heard that the game ends when the main quest ends, is there anyway around this. (it seems kinda silly that they did that again since it was the same on fallout 3 i guess, allthough i don't know for sure)
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#73 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Well it has been two years since i played fallout 3 and i played fallout 3 on my xbox. I'm playing vegas on my pc. I can't see such a big difference in quality though but like i said it was two years ago and i sold the game so i can't really compare. Anyway since all you vegas experts are here. I've heard that the game ends when the main quest ends, is there anyway around this. (it seems kinda silly that they did that again since it was the same on fallout 3 i guess, allthough i don't know for sure)evildead6789
I think it is better to save before deciding in what to do with the Platinum Chip as your 'choice' directs you around the Mojave and you may encounter some factional trouble anyway. I see no point in continuing as there are a few disjointed side-quests compared to FO3; most of FO:NVs' quests revolve in and around an overarching main quest. There is probably a mod to continue playing after the credit roll though; like in FO3. but most endings wouldnt exactly make sense unless someone(mod)/or something (DLC) comes in and overhauls the Mojave to match that of your ending as some of the endings are somewhat drastic - that would cancel or remove out your quests anyway.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

teardropmina
and who is the loudest bunch.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

New vegas just has a lot of success here in this poll because a lot of fanboys of fallout1&2 are here.

evildead6789

so if Fallout 3 is winning, would you say "there are more fallout 3 fanboys here!!!"?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 commander

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]Well it has been two years since i played fallout 3 and i played fallout 3 on my xbox. I'm playing vegas on my pc. I can't see such a big difference in quality though but like i said it was two years ago and i sold the game so i can't really compare. Anyway since all you vegas experts are here. I've heard that the game ends when the main quest ends, is there anyway around this. (it seems kinda silly that they did that again since it was the same on fallout 3 i guess, allthough i don't know for sure)illmatic87
I think it is better to save before deciding in what to do with the Platinum Chip as your 'choice' directs you around the Mojave and you may encounter some factional trouble anyway. I see no point in continuing as there are a few disjointed side-quests compared to FO3; most of FO:NVs' quests revolve in and around an overarching main quest. There is probably a mod to continue playing after the credit roll though; like in FO3. but most endings wouldnt exactly make sense unless someone(mod)/or something (DLC) comes in and overhauls the Mojave to match that of your ending as some of the endings are somewhat drastic - that would cancel or remove out your quests anyway.

Is the dlc of new vegas worth the trouble. I thought it was called dead money. Can you continue the game then?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#77 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
New Vegas is better in every way and doesn't spit in the face of Fallout fans like 3 did.