Please help select best 2.1 speaker setup for around $100 or less....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

Right now Staples has the Logitech Z623 on sale for $100. I really don't need anything quite that powerful. Just want something that sounds clean with a little bass. What would you guys recommend?

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

Right now Staples has the Logitech Z623 on sale for $100. I really don't need anything quite that powerful. Just want something that sounds clean with a little bass. What would you guys recommend?

chriscoolguy
I have a similar set, the Z-2300 and my brother has the Z-623. It's hard to beat how much sound you get out of them for the price. I would highly recommend them, even if they do cost a bit more.
chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chriscoolguy

Do the newer ones sound as good as the Z2300?

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marfoo

Do the newer ones sound as good as the Z2300?

chriscoolguy
I haven't compared them side by side, but yes, I would say the performance is very similar.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
[QUOTE="chriscoolguy"]

Marfoo
I have a similar set, the Z-2300 and my brother has the Z-623. It's hard to beat how much sound you get out of them for the price. I would highly recommend them, even if they do cost a bit more.

Which is the better model then?
chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chriscoolguy

[QUOTE="Marfoo"][QUOTE="chriscoolguy"]

AdamPA1006

Which is the better model then?

Z2300. I'm actually thinking about going with Corsair SP2500's only because Logitech DOWNGRADED The THQ speakers. I wish I could get a nice set for like $60. You use to be able to get nice speakers for about that, Altec Lansings. Now all in that price range look to be garbage..

kraigyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kraigyong
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
yeah, I wish I could get a nice set for like $60. You use to be able to get nice speakers for about that too,
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Post on audio video board, realise logitech don't make good speakers.

Also realise you can't get a good sub for less than $100, let alone a 2.1 system.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chriscoolguy

I'm leaning towards the Klipsch 2.1 pro medias. It's more than I wanted to get but in order to get something that doesn't sound muddy I feel I have no choice. The PC speaker selection now adays is throw away garbage or expensive,, nothing in between like it use to be. The only downside of these klipsch is I know after a while the volume knob starts making a noise when you adjust it.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

the m-audio av40s are good

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

Yeah, the Klipsch have a good sound. I like 'em better than other budget speakers.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Marfoo
A buddy of mine has that Klipsch set, it's solid.
chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chriscoolguy

blaznwiipspman1

How would they be without a sub though? I don't need alot of bass but wouldn't you get almost none with these?

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

chriscoolguy

How would they be without a sub though? I don't need alot of bass but wouldn't you get almost none with these?

Yeah, the frequency response isn't very low. You'd need to hear them before buying.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

chriscoolguy

They have 4" drivers so there will be bass, not as much as a dedicated sub, but you could always add one later.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I'm leaning towards the Klipsch 2.1 pro medias. It's more than I wanted to get but in order to get something that doesn't sound muddy I feel I have no choice. The PC speaker selection now adays is throw away garbage or expensive,, nothing in between like it use to be. The only downside of these klipsch is I know after a while the volume knob starts making a noise when you adjust it.

chriscoolguy

I endorse this choice.  IDK if you have a lot of experience with Klipsch speakers in general, but the Promedia 2.1's really do sound like a smaller version of some of their best home stereo/theater systems.  I've had KLF-10's and a couple sets of KG-variants.  The Promedia 2.1 hasn't disappointed me.  

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chriscoolguy

[QUOTE="chriscoolguy"]

hartsickdiscipl

I endorse this choice. IDK if you have a lot of experience with Klipsch speakers in general, but the Promedia 2.1's really do sound like a smaller version of some of their best home stereo/theater systems. I've had KLF-10's and a couple sets of KG-variants. The Promedia 2.1 hasn't disappointed me.

Got the Promedia's. Wow. Sound is amazing.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

chriscoolguy

Not much bass out of box no.  Im no audio expert but this set came highly recommended to me from a google search and from people on the audio forums.  The sound quality is better than any other speaker ive owned, but the reliability is another story.  The sound only comes through the right side now after a 5 month ownership and as a Canadian, trying to get it warranty replaced turned out to be such a nightmare that I just gave up.  I regret not purchasing the in store warranty replacement.  As for the bass, I purchased a stand alone 8 inch sub and hooked it up via some complicated cabling that I also got help setting up from the nice guys at audio video forums.  The bass is 100 watt I believe and so loud that I need to keep it halfway and at half volume.  

Another set you can try out are the audio engine 2's  which also come highly recommended.  Ive seen these on sale for less than $150 a few times.