Please give a new guy some advice around the i3 and HD 2000 graphics.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Galantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Galantina
Member since 2006 • 446 Posts

Hello.

Im going to be buying a computer soon in order to play some basic games, and when i say basic I mean like WoW and The Sims/Sim City and RTS's. Basically simple, lighthearted games I cannot play on my xbox and just pick up and play games not intense shoot em ups etc.

Im going to be buying one with an I3 2120 in it which as we know, has intel HD 2000 graphics built in.

Will this processor run WoW and these other pretty basic games? And what is the Intel HD 2000? Are they built into the processor so I wont need a graphics card for them? Maybe im being stupid but im certain I seen benchmarks of these onboard graphics running some games quite well, though I cannot seem to find any benchmarks now.

If I do go and buy a dedicated graphics card would it work along side these onboard graphics so that they help each other out or will putting in a dedicated graphics card completely remove the computing power of the HD 2000 graphics?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
HD 2000 sucks and will barely play games at good settings, only the AMD APU based gpu's run games decently. If you give us a budget we can find you something that will get you by with better results.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Yes this cpu will run WoW and other games well. HD 2000 is an integrated GPU on the CPU die. They are mostly meant to run media without buying a graphic card,don't expect gaming performance out of those. If you buy a dedicated GPU,the hd200 won't be used
d3c3b4l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 d3c3b4l
Member since 2005 • 119 Posts

The cpu is fine but you will need a graphics card for games from this decade.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I get 2 frames on my hd 2000 and 55 frames on my gtx 555 on the same settings. Hd 2000 is a little bit slower.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

Pick up an AMD Radeon 7750. It's a really cheap card that you can get for around $100 that will run games on respectable settings. It's also single slot, and doesn't require an external power connector, so you can put it in just about any desktop computer, even one that's cramped or has a terrible power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
While the HD 2000 will run WoW, it won't run it very well when there are a lot of models and spell effects on screen. I highly suggest looking into AMD's APU (their CPU + GPU on one chip) offerings, or if you would like to stick with Intel, then picking up a ~$70 graphics card from either AMD or Nvidia.
Diwashb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Diwashb
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

Hello.

Im going to be buying a computer soon in order to play some basic games, and when i say basic I mean like WoW and The Sims/Sim City and RTS's. Basically simple, lighthearted games I cannot play on my xbox and just pick up and play games not intense shoot em ups etc.

Im going to be buying one with an I3 2120 in it which as we know, has intel HD 2000 graphics built in.

Will this processor run WoW and these other pretty basic games? And what is the Intel HD 2000? Are they built into the processor so I wont need a graphics card for them? Maybe im being stupid but im certain I seen benchmarks of these onboard graphics running some games quite well, though I cannot seem to find any benchmarks now.

If I do go and buy a dedicated graphics card would it work along side these onboard graphics so that they help each other out or will putting in a dedicated graphics card completely remove the computing power of the HD 2000 graphics?

Galantina
Just buy an i3-2100 (what i have) And get an amd hd 7750. There is no need to spend more to get the 2120?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
[QUOTE="Galantina"]

Hello.

Diwashb
Just buy an i3-2100 (what i have) And get an amd hd 7750. There is no need to spend more to get the 2120?

2120 is only a dual core