Pirates need to be stopped.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#1 Armalite1016
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts

Seriously. They are ruining my hobby, making gaming companies go over to consoles. And please, if you're a pirate who doesn't think it's wrong, think again, and don't try using any excuses either. It's stealing, plain and simple. You like PC gaming obviously, because you play the games, but you are completely ruining it by what you do, and ruining it for people who actually buy the games like me.

Take Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft lost $35 million due to piracy from that game. Do you really think they want to keep releasing their games? Oh, and if you're saying, well I wouldn't have bought it anyway, then don't pirate it! If you weren't going to pay, then you shouldn't be able to play it. No matter how many excuses you people come up with, it will never mask the fact that you are stealing, and stealing is wrong, and against the law. Yeah you wouldn't walk into a Gamestop and just take games off the shelves, but you would pirate them. What is the difference? There is none, both are stealing, but somehow you think piracy is ok. You also complain about all the anti-piracy measures that companies implement and act like they are ruining the game. IT'S YOUR FAULT THEY ARE DOING THAT BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE BOUGHT THE GAME!

Then pirates claim there is no good demo. Well Crysis had a great demo, and that was pirated to kingdom come. Pirates say the game isn't worth the money. Then don't pirate it! They say they don't have enough money. Then wait until you do, if you really want to play it so much! They say that they their rig isn't good enough. Well then why would you play it in the first place! They say they don't have internet so they can't play online, and singleplayer sucks. This one doesn't even make sense, because how did they download it and how are they telling people this over the internet? Oh, I know, it's just an excuse!

Let's face it- no matter how many excuses you make, no matter how many reasons you come up with, when it comes down to it, you're just greedy, and don't want to spend the money. Well STOP because you are ruining our platform as we know it!

elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 elitegeek13
Member since 2007 • 636 Posts
i smell a flame war. good point though....pirates really aren't helping the industry realize that PC gaming still has amazing potential.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Take Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft lost $35 million due to piracy from that game.

Armalite1016

I'm a bit tired - but that sounds a little bit ridiculous. There's no way you can come up with such a number.

belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

I second the point being bade by thread author.

And I note this is the fourth or fifth similar thread in a week. But don't worry, this one will also errupt info a ... hefty discussion.

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 leper-messiahs
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts
Pirates are pathetic, and even more pathetic are the ones that come here and try and justify it. PC gaming is so awesome, too bad gamers do not respect it and they continually pirate the hell out of PC games.
Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Armalite1016
[QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

GodLovesDead

I'm a bit tired - but that sounds a little bit ridiculous. There's no way you can come up with such a number.

Here is the source. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54077

AC on PC only sold a measly 40k units due to pirates.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Agree.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
Piracy is for pros.
Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Armalite1016

I second the point being bade by thread author.

And I note this is the fourth or fifth similar thread in a week. But don't worry, this one will also errupt info a ... hefty discussion.

belboz

Well that's because a lot of pirates will come in here and just like I said they always do, try to justify their reasons, when it doesn't matter what they say, because no matter what excuse they use, it still doesn't change the fact that they are stealing.

rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts

you know what works better than complaining on the internet? Internet petitions....

Seriously its great that everyone has such hatred for piracy, but do we need a rant like this every other day?

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Armalite1016

you know what works better than complaining on the internet? Internet petitions....

Seriously its great that everyone has such hatred for piracy, but do we need a rant like this every other day?

rob1101

Yes. We do.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

So does war and poverty. But it ain't gonna happen.

Armalite1016

I think I would attribute its poor sales (and its highly pirated status) to the common opinion among the PC community that it sucks and to the fact that the copy protection has been known to prevent many people from even playing the game.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

Armalite1016

"According to Ubisoft the version that ended up early on the internet was downloaded more than 700,000 times". That's Ubisoft coming up with a random number so people would feel sorry for them. 700,000 downloads doesn't equal 700,000 sales. Hell, I doubt it would have even sold 100,000 if the game wasn't even up for download.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#14 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
[QUOTE="Armalite1016"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

GodLovesDead

"According to Ubisoft the version that ended up early on the internet was downloaded more than 700,000 times". That's Ubisoft coming up with a random number so people would feel sorry for them. 700,000 downloads doesn't equal 700,000 sales. Hell, I doubt it would have even sold 100,000 if the game wasn't even up for download.

Also, 700,000 dls =/= 700,000 pirates. According to Ubi, the pre-release code had a bug, so I bet many pirates downloaded multiple versions to find the good one.

rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
[QUOTE="rob1101"]

Armalite1016

Yes. We do.

Then I vote for a Piracy sub forum. That way everyone can rant to their hearts content

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Armalite1016

[QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

JP_Russell

I think I would attribute its poor sales (and its highly pirated status) to the common opinion among the PC community that it sucks and to the fact that the copy protection has been known to prevent many people from even playing the game.

Well if it sucks, then don't buy it, and don't download it. And also, if the copy protection prevents people from playing it, then they can get a crack, but honestly, they still would have bought it in the first place to realize that it prevents them from playing it, am I right?

The worst excuse people could use though is when they say that the game sucks, so they aren't going to pay money. If they really thought the game sucked, they wouldn't bother downloading it in the first place, right? Right? Yeah, thought so. They just didn't want to pay money, so they stole, and to justify it, they used the poorly constructed excuse that it sucks.

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 leper-messiahs

GodLovesDead

Umm, you can easily track how mnay copies from torrent sites are doanloaded daily, why even deny piracy is a MAJOR issue with PC gaming right now? These figures are for a court case and sound about on par with the number of pirated copies from other games. Even if only 10% would have bought the game and they could not pirate it that is a HUGE difference.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

The details will be argued by many against your claims, just fair warning, which you might already be aware of anyway. Participation in discussions of this nature may consume alot of your valuable time ;)

However, I definitely agree with the general message, and principle behind it, that you are trying to bring!

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Armalite1016
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

dgsag

Also, 700,000 dls =/= 700,000 pirates. According to Ubi, the pre-release code had a bug, so I bet many pirates downloaded multiple versions to find the good one.

Well even if the number isn't accurate, I bet you anything it was still up there. "I doubt it would have even sold 100,000 if the game wasn't even up for download." Yes, because people didn't want to pay the money. That's the reason they pirate in the first place, no matter how many excuses they give you. They are greedy. But hey, 100,000 (if it would have sold that) is still a lot higher than 40k

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 leper-messiahs

If they game sucked, then why do excellent games get pirated even more? Stop making retarded excuses. Stop pirating and get a job.

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Armalite1016
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

leper-messiahs

Umm, you can easily track how mnay copies from torrent sites are doanloaded daily, why even deny piracy is a MAJOR issue with PC gaming right now? These figures are for a court case and sound about on par with the number of pirated copies from other games. Even if only 10% would have bought the game and they could not pirate it that is a HUGE difference.

QFT

Yeah, so they are just going to make up the 700k number to make people feel sorry for them in court right? I somehow find it hard to believe they would risk the lawsuit on a number, so that people will feel sorry for them... But, hey, that's just me.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodLovesDead

leper-messiahs

Umm, you can easily track how mnay copies from torrent sites are doanloaded daily, why even deny piracy is a MAJOR issue with PC gaming right now? These figures are for a court case and sound about on par with the number of pirated copies from other games.

1) So how many copies of Sins of a Solar Empire were pirated? I'm curious. If it's easy so easy, you shouldn't have a problem pulling me an accurate estimate.

2) Nobody is denying that piracy is a major issue with PC gaming.

3) You're missing the point. I'm not even debating the number of times it was downloaded. I have no doubt it was downloaded 700,000 times. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there was twice that amount downloaded. The point is that they didn't lose 700,000 sales.

EDIT: And to the guy above me : Obviously they ARE going to use a number to make it seem like they suffered extreme losses. Don't get me wrong, they deserve to win the case. But they wouldn't be risking the court case because no one can tell how many times a game is downloaded. There's so many different way and places for it to be downloaded than it'd be impossible to come up with a ballpark estimate. And once again, I have no doubt it was downloaded that amount of times. But they act like they lost an equal amount of sales - which is the reason they even bothered bringing up that number in the first place.

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Armalite1016

[QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

JP_Russell

Also, look at Crysis. That got pirated to kingdom come. That game didn't suck; it was actually one of the best last year. CoD4 got pirated a lot also, and everyone seems to love that game. They just use it as an excuse, and for Crysis they will use a different excuse. Nothing but excuses. Nothing but greed.

matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 matte3560
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

GodLovesDead

well, thats what you get when you don't have a decent multiplayer i guess, because pirating games these days is as simple as downloading a torrent and a torrenting client, and the rest is just copy and paste.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
you can't do it. no one can.
Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Armalite1016
[QUOTE="leper-messiahs"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

GodLovesDead

Umm, you can easily track how mnay copies from torrent sites are doanloaded daily, why even deny piracy is a MAJOR issue with PC gaming right now? These figures are for a court case and sound about on par with the number of pirated copies from other games.

1) So how many copies of Sins of a Solar Empire were pirated? I'm curious. If it's easy so easy, you shouldn't have a problem pulling me an accurate estimate.

3) You're missing the point. I'm not even debating the number of times it was downloaded. I have no doubt it was downloaded 700,000 times. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there was twice that amount downloaded. The point is that they didn't lose 700,000 sales.

Actually they did, because every time someone downloaded the game and played it, that was one time that someone played their game without paying them the money they deserve. So yes, they did lose 700,000 sales. For the people who wouldn't have bought it in the first place? Well, they shouldn't be playing it in the first place then, so yes, they just stole that money from Ubisoft.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Let me start this off by saying I do NOT pirate PC games.

I really get tired at developers that blame piracy for sluggish PC game sales. Lets look at some hard facts on the game in question Assassins Creed.

1. Already published on consoles almost a year ago. And it sold reasonably well on consoles. This is significant because a lot of PC gamers own a 360 or a PS3 as well as a gaming PC. So its pretty safe to say that most of the people who wanted Assassins Creed, already either bought it or rented it for their console.

2. Utterly insane system requirements. It needs dual core processors. At least 2.6 ghz P4 or Athlon X2 3800. It needs 2 gigs RAM. It needs at least a 256 meg Directx 9 video card with Shader Model 3. Keep in mind, these are just the requirements. If you run this rig, you will still have lots of slowdown. This is more extreme requirements than Crysis. Now I can pull this off, as can a lot of people on this forum. Unfortunately this shuts out a good percentage of PC gamers that might have bought the game. Not everyone can have a nice system like what people on this forum can have. This is likely a big reason for Crysis' sluggish sales.

3. Less of a factor, but still a factor nonetheless. Its a console port. Console ports typically dont sell as well as games develop specifically for the PC. This has do do with fact #1, as well as PC gamers dont want 'warmed over console ports'. I know I avoid them. The reasons are you are taking a game designed for a gamepad and lower resolutions, and putting it on a PC. The results are usually ugly.

OK this being said, the $35 million estimate (lets face it, its just an estimate) is the developers expectance for the sales of the game. Their estimates were $35 million off. They completely ignore the factors I mentioned above and jump on the piracy bandwagon because its an easy scapegoat and cannot be proven. And it is likely just a way to shut up the shareholders. Just another form of damage control.

Lets go to another hypothetical situation, which as luck would have it happens all the time in the PC industry. Game A and Game B. Both are hyped. Both are expected to sell pretty high. Both are also available to pirate on day 1. Game A just comes out of the gate and sells a million copies in a month. Game B comes out and sells decently at first, but sales just slow down pretty quickly. Game A enjoys the good sales, Game B starts crying about piracy. Nevermind the fact that Game A might be a much, much better game than Game B. Nevermind the system requirements. Nevermind the niggling little issues gamers might have with Game B. Game B is convinced its all about piracy and that is that.

The whole point I am trying to make is that yes, piracy is a bad thing for the industry and our hobby. But there are a lot more factors that account for sluggish sales. Just because they blame it all on piracy doesnt make it so.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
this seems more like a blog post to me
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="leper-messiahs"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

Armalite1016

Actually they did, because every time someone downloaded the game and played it, that was one time that someone played their game without paying them the money they deserve. So yes, they did lose 700,000 sales. For the people who wouldn't have bought it in the first place? Well, they shouldn't be playing it in the first place then, so yes, they just stole that money from Ubisoft.

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 leper-messiahs
People have to stop bringing up Sins of a solar empire, a LOW BUDGET Strategy game that has 1 tenth the dev cost of any big name game today, it got pirated just like any other game, the difference is, it doesn't need a lot of sales to be a success, unlike big name games like Crysis, Mass Effect, etc.... Get real, apples and oranges.
leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 leper-messiahs

I really get tired at developers that blame piracy for sluggish PC game sales. Lets look at some hard facts on the game in question Assassins Creed.

1. Already published on consoles almost a year ago. And it sold reasonably well on consoles. This is significant because a lot of PC gamers own a 360 or a PS3 as well as a gaming PC. So its pretty safe to say that most of the people who wanted Assassins Creed, already either bought it or rented it for their console.

2. Utterly insane system requirements. It needs dual core processors. At least 2.6 ghz P4 or Athlon X2 3800. It needs 2 gigs RAM. It needs at least a 256 meg Directx 9 video card with Shader Model 3. Keep in mind, these are just the requirements. If you run this rig, you will still have lots of slowdown. This is more extreme requirements than Crysis. Now I can pull this off, as can a lot of people on this forum. Unfortunately this shuts out a good percentage of PC gamers that might have bought the game. Not everyone can have a nice system like what people on this forum can have. This is likely a big reason for Crysis' sluggish sales.

3. Less of a factor, but still a factor nonetheless. Its a console port. Console ports typically dont sell as well as games develop specifically for the PC. This has do do with fact #1, as well as PC gamers dont want 'warmed over console ports'. I know I avoid them. The reasons are you are taking a game designed for a gamepad and lower resolutions, and putting it on a PC. The results are usually ugly.

OK this being said, the $35 million estimate (lets face it, its just an estimate) is the developers expectance for the sales of the game. Their estimates were $35 million off. They completely ignore the factors I mentioned above and jump on the piracy bandwagon because its an easy scapegoat and cannot be proven. And it is likely just a way to shut up the shareholders. Just another form of damage control.

Lets go to another hypothetical situation, which as luck would have it happens all the time in the PC industry. Game A and Game B. Both are hyped. Both are expected to sell pretty high. Both are also available to pirate on day 1. Game A just comes out of the gate and sells a million copies in a month. Game B comes out and sells decently at first, but sales just slow down pretty quickly. Game A enjoys the good sales, Game B starts crying about piracy. Nevermind the fact that Game A might be a much, much better game than Game B. Nevermind the system requirements. Nevermind the niggling little issues gamers might have with Game B. Game B is convinced its all about piracy and that is that.

The whole point I am trying to make is that yes, piracy is a bad thing for the industry and our hobby. But there are a lot more factors that account for sluggish sales. Just because they blame it all on piracy doesnt make it so.

RossRichard

Nowhere did anyone say piracy was the ONLY reason, so all that you typed is really moot. The fact is piracy is a BIG part of the problem, not the only one, but there are many more people playing games with capable machines then the number of people paying for the games. Sad, pathetic pirates.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RossRichard

People have to stop bringing up Sins of a solar empire, a LOW BUDGET Strategy game that has 1 tenth the dev cost of any big name game today, it got pirated just like any other game, the difference is, it doesn't need a lot of sales to be a success, unlike big name games like Crysis, Mass Effect, etc.... Get real, apples and oranges. leper-messiahs

You are completely ignoring the point he was trying to make. This is a game with NO COPY PROTECTION WHATSOEVER. Regardless of the budget, you can rip this game directly and post it on a torrent, or burn a copy for your buddy. This can be the most easily accessable game for a pirate, yet it still sold well. Try to explain that.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodLovesDead

People have to stop bringing up Sins of a solar empire, a LOW BUDGET Strategy game that has 1 tenth the dev cost of any big name game today, it got pirated just like any other game, the difference is, it doesn't need a lot of sales to be a success, unlike big name games like Crysis, Mass Effect, etc.... Get real, apples and oranges. leper-messiahs

Assuming that's directed at me (since I think I'm the first to mention it within this thread) - I chose that game at random. It had no symbolism behind it. I just want you to show me how we can calculate how many times a game has been pirated. I wasn't trying to make a point about the game (though it looks like I might have on accident).

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Armalite1016

RossRichard

All of your points are overshadowed by the fact that no matter how many "good" points you come up, nothing, NOTHING will change the fact that the people are stealing the game. It's already on a different console and you have it? Then why play it on the new console? If they really loved AC that much, they would have bought it. The system requirements argument is the dumbest ever. If you can't run it, then why would you download it? I agree that console ports aren't as good, but again, that doesn't give anyone the right to steal a game.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RossRichard

Nowhere did anyone say piracy was the ONLY reason, so all that you typed is really moot. The fact is piracy is a BIG part of the problem, not the only one, but there are many more people playing games with capable machines then the number of people paying for the games. Sad, pathetic pirates.

leper-messiahs

Again you missed the point. How do you know piracy is a BIG part of the problem? I presented facts, you present assumptions. So what you typed really is moot. Bring me some hard, cold concrete facts and we can discuss this like intelligent people.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Well if it sucks, then don't buy it, and don't download it.

Armalite1016

Many people download a game that doesn't have a demo to see for themselves whether or not it sucks, and buy the game if they don't think so.

And also, if the copy protection prevents people from playing it, then they can get a crack, but honestly, they still would have bought it in the first place to realize that it prevents them from playing it, am I right?

Armalite1016

What? No, you don't understand. Pirated versions of games are almost always cracked from the start, so one can just pirate the game and not ever deal with the copy protection issue many legit buyers have. I'd imagine many people who pirate for this reason do so because they don't want to buy the game and download a crack (which is also illegal, by the way) just to find out the crack doesn't work or it breaks the game somehow.

The worst excuse people could use though is when they say that the game sucks, so they aren't going to pay money. If they really thought the game sucked, they wouldn't bother downloading it in the first place, right? Right?

Armalite1016

No, not right. They have no way of knowing whether or not it sucks before experiencing it themselves. And since Assassin's Creed has no demo (which was not a smart move), the only way to try it out is to download a pirated copy. So they do so to see whether they think it sucks.

They just didn't want to pay money, so they stole, and to justify it, they used the poorly constructed excuse that it sucks.

Armalite1016

There are definitely pirates out there who downloaded the game for no good reason, but I have no doubt that a good number of them did so to try it out before deciding whether or not it's worth buying (since it has no demo), or because they just didn't want to deal with the ridiculous copy protection that's present in the legit game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17887 Posts

looking at the 700,000 figure and the losses.....ubisoft did not loose 700,000 sales. i was reading an article in total PC gaming UK about how these companies come up with these figures and, well, lets just say theres alot of guess work and figure projecting. then comes the claim of "we lost 700,000 sales". seriosuly those figures should be taken with a pinch of salt imho.

that same article also put forward an idea of using pirace to our advantage. basically it proposed that ppl should download any game they want..and any game they liked they should then pay for at the end fo the month. it argued that ppl would try more daring games or more out there games if there was no risk. make if it as u will. personally i dont agree with it.

i think that any pirate caught should have their PC and consoles and all their games crushed in front of them. lets be thankful that i dont have political power :P.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
I can safely say that if it was possible, I would walk into Gamestop and take a game. Problem is, it's a bit easier nicking a Snickers bar than a bloody game. There, I killed your argument. Piracy can't be stopped. Quality sells; make a good game and people buy it. Period.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RossRichard

All of your points are overshadowed by the fact that no matter how many "good" points you come up, nothing, NOTHING will change the fact that the people are stealing the game.When did I say they werent?

It's already on a different console and you have it? Then why play it on the new console? Maybe they are, thats why its not selling well on the PC.

If they really loved AC that much, they would have bought it. That is exactly the point I was making. Remember, it came out on consoles almost a year ago, and sold well on consoles. So if they wanted it, they likely already have it. Why buy two copies of the same game?

The system requirements argument is the dumbest ever. If you can't run it, then why would you download it?Who said they did? They just wouldnt have bought it because their computers cant run it.

I agree that console ports aren't as good, but again, that doesn't give anyone the right to steal a game.You completely missed the point I made. Go back and re-read my post without trying to find something to argue with me about.

Armalite1016

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

GodLovesDead

WFT is that. Why would Ubisoft want people to feel sorry for them? Do you really believe that? Did you come up with that yourself?

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 leper-messiahs

[QUOTE="leper-messiahs"]People have to stop bringing up Sins of a solar empire, a LOW BUDGET Strategy game that has 1 tenth the dev cost of any big name game today, it got pirated just like any other game, the difference is, it doesn't need a lot of sales to be a success, unlike big name games like Crysis, Mass Effect, etc.... Get real, apples and oranges. RossRichard

You are completely ignoring the point he was trying to make. This is a game with NO COPY PROTECTION WHATSOEVER. Regardless of the budget, you can rip this game directly and post it on a torrent, or burn a copy for your buddy. This can be the most easily accessable game for a pirate, yet it still sold well. Try to explain that.

Umm, you missed the point, SINS is PIRATED, but they say it sold well because for a low budget game like SINS, it does not need to sell well to be successful, get it now? Sins is pirated, but because it is a low budget strategy game, lower sales does not effect it. Big name titles need twice the sales games like Sins get. Understand.....

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Armalite1016
[QUOTE="leper-messiahs"]

RossRichard

Again you missed the point. How do you know piracy is a BIG part of the problem? I presented facts, you present assumptions. So what you typed really is moot. Bring me some hard, cold concrete facts and we can discuss this like intelligent people.

Interesting, but the door swings both ways. You didn't present cold hard facts either, just theories to why you think piracy is acceptable to some people. Piracy is never acceptable, because it's stealing. No matter how many excuses and points you come up, nothing changes the fact that it's stealing, and that's why its a problem.

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="Armalite1016"]

Armalite1016

You mean it wasn't the higher system requirements or the fact that many PC Gamers play games on consoles as well and don't tend to re-purchase the games at a later date?

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RossRichard

Interesting, but the door swings both ways. You didn't present cold hard facts either, just theories to why you think piracy is acceptable to some people. Piracy is never acceptable, because it's stealing. No matter how many excuses and points you come up, nothing changes the fact that it's stealing, and that's why its a problem.

Armalite1016

Im afraid I did post cold hard facts. Go back and re-read my post objectively and try to prove me wrong.

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

[QUOTE="leper-messiahs"]People have to stop bringing up Sins of a solar empire, a LOW BUDGET Strategy game that has 1 tenth the dev cost of any big name game today, it got pirated just like any other game, the difference is, it doesn't need a lot of sales to be a success, unlike big name games like Crysis, Mass Effect, etc.... Get real, apples and oranges. leper-messiahs

Umm, you missed the point, SINS is PIRATED, but they say it sold well because for a low budget game like SINS, it does not need to sell well to be successful, get it now? Sins is pirated, but because it is a low budget strategy game, lower sales does not effect it. Big name titles need twice the sales games like Sins get. Understand.....

The main reason why Sins is always being talked about is that it has no protection, CD Key or requires the CD in the tray. Add in the fact that the game is an Indie game, 300K units sold is pretty successful.

Draksy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Draksy
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I don't blame pirates (part of them). I blame their countries. For example, in my country (Portugal), Assassin's Creed costs 49,89€ for PC (which is 76,66$) and 69,89€ for Xbox460/PS3 (107,39$).

How do you want people to buy games at that price? If the prices were lower, many people would buy them. At least, that's Portugal major problem.

Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

I agree that pirates shouldn't get impunity.

They should be ****ed and burned upon detection.

Also read in a magazine recently that new EU laws include a three strike ruling for anyone who uploads copyrighted materials on file-sharing networks. Anyone caught a third time gets banned from using the internet.

Sounds good, but not good enough...

Armalite1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Armalite1016

Cdscottie

You mean it wasn't the higher system requirements or the fact that many PC Gamers play games on consoles as well and don't tend to re-purchase the games at a later date?

Good point. But see I'm referring to piracy, not whether or not people buy the game. Those people shouldn't have pirated the game if they didn't want it.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GodLovesDead

eggdog1234

WFT is that. Why would Ubisoft want people to feel sorry for them? Do you really believe that? Did you come up with that yourself?

They want to be greatly favored in their court case. Sure, they'll probably win it anyways. But as said above: it's guess work for a lot of it.

leper-messiahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 leper-messiahs
[QUOTE="leper-messiahs"][QUOTE="RossRichard"]

[QUOTE="leper-messiahs"]People have to stop bringing up Sins of a solar empire, a LOW BUDGET Strategy game that has 1 tenth the dev cost of any big name game today, it got pirated just like any other game, the difference is, it doesn't need a lot of sales to be a success, unlike big name games like Crysis, Mass Effect, etc.... Get real, apples and oranges. Cdscottie

The main reason why Sins is always being talked about is that it has no protection, CD Key or requires the CD in the tray. Add in the fact that the game is an Indie game, make 300K units sold pretty successful.

Yep, and 300000 is not a success for any big name game, which is my point, you cannot compare Sins to a big name game because if a big name game got Sins sales, it would be a failure. Sins gets pirated, just like any game, the difference is it is a low budget game that doesn't need many sales.