Penumbra: Collectors Pack vs Amnesia Dark Descent?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Two great horror games by the same dev. They are both 20 bucks, and both on steam, and now I can't decide. I would probably get more content with Penumbra, but I heard Amnesia has the edge gameplay wise. What do you guys think?

Ensamheten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ensamheten
Member since 2010 • 392 Posts

Buy it from the official store instead. Same price but more goes to the developers instead of a big evil corp like Valve. The official store also got the Linux port.

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

Buy it from the official store instead. Same price but more goes to the developers instead of a big evil corp like Valve. The official store also got the Linux port.

Ensamheten

Its not like Valve has saved devs or anything on steam or anything.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/23/how-a-steam-promotion-saved-introversion/

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Essian
lol you both responded but didn't vote! And didn't give your opinion....
thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

Amnesia has more bang for your buck and has a editor with player made missions.

Pen is also awesome but leave that for a other time. :)

cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

Wait for Holiday sale.

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

I hated the forced combat on Penumbra Overture (Hadn't played any of the other games on the series, but the first one wasn't frightening or as good as people said it was), so get Amnesia.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="Ensamheten"]

thespywholied

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/23/how-a-steam-promotion-saved-introversion/

That could have been and digital download retailer.

But more money going to the developer is definately a good thing

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Essian
seems like amnesia is the clear winner so far.... but from what I've heard Penumbra is good too, so I'll probably just wait and pick that one up on sale
england2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 england2010
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts

penumbra overture was good.. cuz it was realtisic

all the others sucked too much unrealistic religous cult stuff

just get overture

Ensamheten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ensamheten
Member since 2010 • 392 Posts

[QUOTE="Ensamheten"]

thespywholied

Still an evil corporation. They allow $1 = €1, they only relealse on plattforms controled by americans to protect american interests, they destory games with bad updates leaving the purchaser empty handed, they released L4D2 9 months after L4D1. DONT SUPPORT THEM! I'd also like to add: EU SHOULD EFFING BAN THEM

lol you both responded but didn't vote! And didn't give your opinion....Essian
Im making the same decision. Think I'm going for Amnesia since it's newer but I prefer Penumbra's story. Have just played the demos though

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Essian
I think I might go with Amnesia too... but Penumbra looks more like my style of game. But yeah, they both look freaking awesome.
Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

I couldnt decide myself and I broke down bought both.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Essian

I couldnt decide myself and I broke down bought both.

theshadowhunter
I wish I was that lucky, but I can only pick one for now... so probably going to end up going with Amnesia
Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Still an evil corporation. They allow $1 = €1, they only relealse on plattforms controled by americans to protect american interests, they destory games with bad updates leaving the purchaser empty handed, they released L4D2 9 months after L4D1. DONT SUPPORT THEM! I'd also like to add: EU SHOULD EFFING BAN THEM

Ensamheten

What do you mean by "platforms controlled by americans"? First its platform (notice without s),secibd Steam only caters to PC which is not owned by any one corporation, besides even if Steam wanted to cater to consoles they wouldn't, MS and Sony would never allow a service that will compete with their own, which would be ironic since they own the platform.

In the end Valve is just like thousands of other businesses out there, it has the same objective -- making money.

On-topic, personally I'd get both, wait for the sale, with Black Friday and Xmas coming, you could very probably get both for the price of one.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Essian

[QUOTE="Ensamheten"]

Gamerz1569

What do you mean by "platforms controlled by americans"? First its platform (notice without s),secibd Steam only caters to PC which is not owned by any one corporation, besides even if Steam wanted to cater to consoles they wouldn't, MS and Sony would never allow a service that will compete with their own, which would be ironic since they own the platform.

In the end Valve is just like thousands of other businesses out there, it has the same objective -- making money.

On-topic, personally I'd get both, wait for the sale, with Black Friday and Xmas coming, you could very probably get both for the price of one.

yeah, I have more than enough console games to play, so gonna hold out for the black friday/holiday sales to see if anything comes up...
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

Ensamheten
The crazy thing is that Steam is marginally cheaper. Why on earth should it cost more when you're cutting out the middle man?
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Essian
[QUOTE="Ensamheten"]

jimmyjammer69
The crazy thing is that Steam is marginally cheaper. Why on earth should it cost more when you're cutting out the middle man?

I know, people talk all this crap about steam, when it helps promote Indie game sales, provides a reliable and user-friendly medium for purchasing games from tons of devs, and gives us reliable server connections (most of the time). They flop with updates on occasion, and it takes them twice as long as they say it will to do stuff, but it doesn't make them the damn devil. I think it's funny that people who complain about steam do so, because if you want to give up your reliable, cost effective, trustworthy game sales site just because you think it's evil, then go you! Have fun sticking it to the man, I'm gonna save money and have an easier time of buying games.