PC game of the Year

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 giyanks22
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts

What do you think is the PC game of the Year. The game has to only be out right now for PC .

I say its a tie between Crysis and World In Conflict. Any one agree or disagree?

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
I don't know man for straight up value and quality you can't go wrong with the Orange Box.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

I don't know man for straight up value and quality you can't go wrong with the Orange Box. Citan76

GAME of the year, not GAMES of the year

Anyway mine GOTY is The Witcher, but GameSpot's will probably be Crysis

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

I don't know man for straight up value and quality you can't go wrong with the Orange Box. Citan76

I'd say Portal/Orange Box, but I've barely touched Crysis and The Witcher, maybe I'll change my mind when I finish those games.

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Crysis, as great as it's graphics and design are, simply doesn't deserve a GOTY award, IMO. Let them make a game that actually finishes first.

I haven't completed The Witcher, but I think it'll be my GOTY currently.
Avatar image for thesuckerkiller
thesuckerkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 thesuckerkiller
Member since 2005 • 58 Posts
Its either World in Conflict, Crysis or Call of Duty 4.... cant go wrong with those
NosmoKing1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 NosmoKing1984
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

Quite a hard choice really, for me it would be between Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Call of Duty 4. CoD4 has a really intense single player while Quake Wars is a really fun multiplayer. But I recon GameSpots game of the year will be Crysis since they love it so much, can't see why myself.

Have fun

SacrificiaLamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 SacrificiaLamb
Member since 2006 • 123 Posts

Gamespot will say Crysis. My favorite is The Wicther, which should win PC RPG of the year. There were no other decent PC RPGs out this year otherwise.

dudeXgoreXcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 dudeXgoreXcore
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

For me its the Orange Box ('cause I just worship everything that is connected to Valve).

But really, I think........or BioShock or Crysis.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
Stalker, that was the most unique and most fun FPS shoother of the new games this year.
jpkustra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jpkustra
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts
Could be Crysis but most likely Bioshock. Although neither of them are what I would call games that fully well-rounded.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
crysis or orange box
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
Call of Duty 4, anyone?
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Orange Box imo.
Iron_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Iron_will
Member since 2007 • 2837 Posts

Crysis ftw.

endtype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 endtype
Member since 2006 • 297 Posts
Crysis even though no one can play it...Call of duty 4 is not far behind...AND we still have to wait for UT3...which comes out today lol
TotalX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TotalX5
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

WiC is a POS imho. I played it for 2 hours and got bored, its nice at the begining but theres nothing but graphics to hold you, i pushed my self to finish the camp even though the game was so boring to play.

I havn't tried Crysis, but if it hadcrappy graphics, would it be GOTY? No its just like any other FPS i'm guessing.

The Witcher deserves GOTY it only got a 8.5 on GS because they put down the score because of lip-syncing and voice acting was a bit off, but i mean its avaliable in like 8 languages, give it a break, that doesn't make a game. It deserved easily a 9 or 9.5.

IS-F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IS-F
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

Crysis all the the way.

Nashnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Nashnir
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
I say Clive Barker's Jericho. Damn! it is the most underrated games I have ever seen in gamespot.
Iron_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Iron_will
Member since 2007 • 2837 Posts

WiC is a POS imho. I played it for 2 hours and got bored, its nice at the begining but theres nothing but graphics to hold you, i pushed my self to finish the camp even though the game was so boring to play.

I havn't tried Crysis, but if it hadcrappy graphics, would it be GOTY? No its just like any other FPS i'm guessing.

The Witcher deserves GOTY it only got a 8.5 on GS because they put down the score because of lip-syncing and voice acting was a bit off, but i mean its avaliable in like 8 languages, give it a break, that doesn't make a game. It deserved easily a 9 or 9.5.

TotalX5

Please, Crysis just like any other FPS? You haven't even tried playing it yet, how the heck can you even judge a game when you haven't played it yet.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts
Crysis.
dykunas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 dykunas
Member since 2004 • 430 Posts
The Witcher is my GOTY, but we all know which game is going to get the award.... It's just sad that the witcher reviewer only played the first chapter...
TotalX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TotalX5
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

Please, Crysis just like any other FPS? You haven't even tried playing it yet, how the heck can you even judge a game when you haven't played it yet.

Iron_will

What did i say? I said i havn't played it, and i was GUESSING its bascially the same. Please tell me whats so innovative, and what Crysis brings to the table, other than amazing graphics, that other FPS' cannot?

Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

I'm gonna put my money on Crysis, although I see WiC could win it too. As much as I love OB (I really do), I doubt it'll be GotY material simply because it contains 3 great games, not 1 stellar game. Individually none are goty worthy (although TF2 is one of the best MP FPS ever).

I'm sure the witcher is awesome (I'm broke =(), but with games like Crysis and WiC I doubt it will GotY.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Crysis
bloodstained-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bloodstained-
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

Crysis. Although I'm not sure if it's my GOTY; I love STALKER and The Witcher very, very much.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#28 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Crysis will get game of the year.
Painkill3r90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Painkill3r90
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts
[QUOTE="TotalX5"]

Iron_will

I have played crysis and its just like any other fps. I will go with totalx5. The Witcher should have better score

greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
i would like the witcher to be goty, but it lacks this "quality" aspect. The game is absolutely great, but it doesnt have this quality finish that splits great games from goty. The Witcher is a diamond in the rough, it needs a little trimming to make it perfect. This was probably due to the lower budget.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
Peegle will win
beckoflight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#32 beckoflight
Member since 2006 • 848 Posts
I have to say for me its between GEARS OF WAR & STALKER .....Bioshock right after ... & if PORTAL were a little bit more longer like 5 hours + it was pure innovation again !
openup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 openup
Member since 2003 • 30 Posts
Mmm if it was most impressive showcase of pc software id give it to Crysis (which im sure will win anyway) but the best GAME as in an experience has got to be either Bioshock or STALKER...Orange box might win best value or something but it doesnt rock my boat
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gogators4life
Member since 2006 • 4654 Posts
Bio-shock!
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
If they count Orange Box as one game it should be GOTY, if not then Crysis, World in Conflict or Bioshock should win.
SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

Well, we can rule out CoD4, BioShock,and the Orange Box since part of the pre-requisites set by the OP was the game needed to be for the PC only. Not to mention, CoD4 is about as fun as Halo 3, so I can't understand who in their right mind would nominate it. But that's just my single-player-centric opinion.

With thosethree games disqualifiedon the grounds of being multiplatform, I think it comes down to World in Conflict, Crysis, and the Witcher.

Personally, I'll rule out World in Conflict. I found it to be boring, but that's just my opinion. That leaves Crysis and The Witcher, both of which are awesome games.Honestly, I can't decide, but here are the reasons I think those two games deserve PC GOTY.

Crysis - For people guessingthat Crysis is "just another FPS", then it's obvious they couldn't play it because their computer is old and/or full of mallware. Or, they just assumed it was all about the graphics and didn't play past the first two levels. Yes, the game has amazing graphics - arguably the best graphics available to any game/platform out there right now. So, of course the reward for pushing the bar ahead in terms of visual quality goes to Crysis. Developers now have a new standard to follow in terms of graphics. But Crysis isn't just about the graphics. The game is extremely intense. Once the sh!t starts hitting the fan and the story starts to unfold, you'll be blown away (almost literally in some cases!).

The Witcher - A total throwback to old-school RPGs, and on that merit alone, it deserves GOTY. However, for a relatively "no-name" developer, they did an amazing job. Not only was the game engaging, fun, and nice to look at, but CDProjekt Red pushed the envelope in terms adult content, language, nudity, and mature plotlines. It may be entirely the fact that their a European company, but at least someone out there is trying to make games that appeal to age of the average gamer (which is somewhere in their 20's as far as I remember). It's titles like this that are going to push videogames from the stereotype of "toys" to that of "art".

Alwaysrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#37 Alwaysrun
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts

I have it down to4 games so far.

Bioshock - Pros: Great atmosphere, Graphics, Story. Cons: feels very consoley, play it twice and this game is pretty well done.

OrangeBox - Pros: lots todo, price, good multiplay. Cons: It didn't come with a kitchen sink

Crysis - Pros:Bleeding edge Graphics, great interface, good multiplay. Cons: Deus-Ex remake with less story and more graphics.

World in Conflict - Pros: Graphics, innovative fast paced RTT, excellent multiplay Cons: Alec Baldwin not swearing at his daughter :p

IMO I'd have to go with WiC so far. It's just so fun and pleasing to the eyes. It's just the one game I keep going back to. It's just that simple.

But I kind of doubt that GS will make WiC GOTY because strats ussually don't fare well in voting because some people just don't like strats whatsoever while almost everyone goes for good FPS with good multiplay so I figure they'll make Crysis GOTY cuz it's got eye candy and everyone and their dogs will have played it.

Two other titles which I haven't had a chance to play that I figure will be prominent in the voting will be Kane & Lynch as well as Assassins Creed.

Srinivassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 Srinivassa
Member since 2003 • 671 Posts
Point taken about PC Only games. I personally would have said the review scores (in spite of the fact that they should not be) will be a good indicator of what is the top pick. That lines up games like Bioshock and Crysis, which received above 9.0. I forgot that Bioshock was multi-platform, so yes, I think it is a clean give-away to Crysis for GOTY (even though I personally did not buy it). I can't judge from personal experience about the other games WiC and Witcher because I have not had time to play them. I imagine they will get sub-categories as mentioned for RPG and RTS. Then, yes, they'll make up some silly consolation prize for the Orange Box, giving it "Best Value" or something. That's just going by the review scores (if I am remembering correctly), which unfortunately, are a very good indicator of which games will be placed at the top in the Year in Review.
Danchou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Danchou
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Crysis if it wasn't the buggiest game I have ever played (Once saw a gun floating in the air firing itself). Felt like playing a beta. And yes I own the full game and beaten it. Lots of fun, decent story, but the graphic drivers (unstable fps! High then the final boss i put everything at medium)and gameplay (buggy)is just not up to par with other games.

OkuLaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 OkuLaris
Member since 2003 • 803 Posts

Toss up really: (Too many good ones this year to name) but...

- STALKER

- CoD4

-Bioshock

-Orange Box

Honorable mention: Crysis and possibly UT III.

LahiruD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LahiruD
Member since 2006 • 2164 Posts
Crysis, Crysis & again Crysis
FelkBR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelkBR
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I personallycheer for Portal. Amazing game: great on the "inovation side", great humor and one of the best endings i´ve seen in a long while :)

But enventually Crysis Will Win.. If it goes in a multiplataform war, im betting it would be Crysis x Super Mario Galaxy =D

Ciao!

SacrificiaLamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SacrificiaLamb
Member since 2006 • 123 Posts
Orange Box is 3 games (plus 2 epsiodes) in one. How can 3 games all win game of the year? Not to mention the fact that HL2 came out in 2004. Are tag team rules in effect? Nope. TF2, EP2 and Portal have to be counted seperately.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

My short list is Crysis, The Orange Box and The Witcher.

But choosing one.... It's so hard.

Orange Box has innovation, originality, humour and multiplayer.

Crysis has spectacular technology and astounding deapth and breadth.

And The Witcher has hookers.

I just don't know which to choose...

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
[QUOTE="Iron_will"][QUOTE="TotalX5"]

Painkill3r90

I have played crysis and its just like any other fps. I will go with totalx5. The Witcher should have better score

Agreed. Crysis is very well done, but it's nothing ground breaking unless you're a graphics whore. IMO witcher got shafter for a score. Shoulda been higher.

DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DarkRecruit
Member since 2005 • 3391 Posts

TotalX5

So you played WiC's singleplayer, and called it bad without playing the MULTIPLAYER which is the best part of the game. Then you don't play Crysis and say it is probably "just another fps". stop assuming so much

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

I personallycheer for Portal. Amazing game: great on the "inovation side", great humor and one of the best endings i´ve seen in a long while :)

But enventually Crysis Will Win.. If it goes in a multiplataform war, im betting it would be Crysis x Super Mario Galaxy =D

Ciao!

FelkBR

*psst*

the cake is a lie!

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#48 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Looking at these "lists", I feel really sorry for all those hardworking developers who don't make shooters.

The only game I can think of off-hand (unless you include expansions) is Supreme Commander. Not too many RTS games are on that scale.

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts

Crysis -Cons: Deus-Ex remake with less story and more graphics.

Alwaysrun

umm...what?

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 845 Posts
Definately Crysis.