pc freeze with sound

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trekkerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 trekkerboy
Member since 2006 • 202 Posts

Hey ppl!

Im on a lenovo laptop that is set up as a gaming rig. It can run crysis on everything very high and shadows medium without any problems. Today i had my first problem and it seemed a bit serious so thought i would ask you guys what might have gone wrong.

I was with my friend playing on the last level and everything was smooth and running great then out of nowhere the computer completelylocked upwith a loud, sustainedbuzzing sound continuouslyeminating from the speakers. It was really random and rather alarming. We restarted thelaptop and booted crysis back up and finished the game with absolutely no problems...it was as if nothing happened. So do you guys know what the heckthat was? Perhaps a random freeze or memory leak or something?I have 4 gigs of ram which is plenty. There was no overheating issue and the power supply adapter was a bitwarm but not anymorewarm than usual. No viruses on my pc either.I have been playing crysis on this laptop fora couple months now and never had this issue. What the heck happened and how do i prevent that from happening in the future?

In case it is relevant i will say that on the very odd occasion the sound stutters for a second sometimes on any program but only for a second and that is very rare.

trekkerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 trekkerboy

my specs are intel core i5 and ati hd 5730 and 4 gigs of ram....direct x 11 :P

fps in very high on crysis is typically mid 30's throughout all of the gameand i play on low rezolution so as to avoid lag

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
In my experience if my computer were to lock up, it was due to overheating. The computer (CPU or GPU) have a safety presets for when the part hits a certain temp, it turns off to help prevent damage. I'd suggest monitoring your temps for your CPU and GPU next time you're gaming. MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision both allow you to show temps while you're gaming - you just have to find it in the setting options. This will let you keep an eye on those GPU temps when you're gaming. Also be sure to have a program like Core Temp running, so after a good gaming session, either Alt+Tab to jump to the desktop to check the CPU temp or check the temp after you close the game. This way you can see what temps you're hitting and then you can let us know what they are, if you're unsure if the temps are high or not. Just to be on the safe said, you might want to run Memtest86 to see if you come across any errors with your RAM. Sometimes bad RAM can cause goofy problems with computers.
trekkerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 trekkerboy

Hey!

I was worried it was overheating but crysis has nevr caused that for me. To be sure i just sat down for a couple hours and played half the game, including the very gpu intensive levels, running it longer and pushing it farther than i did when my friend was over.....i have a temp monitor i always use....and as usual and also after this gaming session i just did....the tempuratures were far below dangerous levels for my parts. So it definetally wasn't overheating, cuz of this and also i use a laptop cooler to be safe always. So it doesnt seem overheating was an issue.

The ram thing might be possible i suppose i should check that. Theres two other possibilities that im considering...1 is the fact that my sound card sometimes stutters on the rare occasion...this time it might have caused a lock up due to the stuttering. The other is this lenovo laptop has an emergency button that opens up One Key Recovery which is a system recovery tool. It is possible my friend accidentally pressed that during the game.

Whatever happened it was very random and its never happened before and doesnt seem to be happening again,so at least it isnt recurring. Other than this incident this laptop always performs better than i expect it to its great.So weird. Hardware glitch maybe? Ive also been told when you set the sound quality to very high in crysis there are issues....could have been a multitude of things. I dunno what happened lol.