Partitioning New Hard Drive in Vista (want XP)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Latebloomer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Latebloomer9
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts
I'm getting my new computer today after losing my 4 yr old dual core last Friday. (OS recovery - but no driver disk: lost sound & ethernet availability plus it needed new DVD drive & DDR Ram upgrade... not worth the $ to get working again to game) I'm not too happy about this one being Vista 64 (comes w/ free Win 7 upgrade). I have older games I want to replay : (Halo, RE4, Far Cry etc.) all made for XP. Do I use 2 separate hard drives and put XP on one of them? (How do I set that up?) Or do I partition the new drive & put XP on it? (has 8 GB RAM) ** will that conflict with anything when I do a Win 7 upgrade? I'm installing my Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 500 PSU from my other pc to upgrade this one today. =) PC Specs: * AMD PhenomTM X4 9750 Processor * 8GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (4x2048MB) (expandable to 16 GB) * 750GB (7200 RPM) hard drive stores up to 161,000 songs or 129,000 photos. * Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition * NVIDIA GeForce 9100 Graphics with 256MB intregrated shared graphics memory. Up to 1407MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista Processor, Memory, and Motherboard * Hardware Platform: PC * Processor: 2.4 hertz AMD Athlon * Number of Processors: 1 * RAM: 8 GB Hard Drive * Size: 750 GB * Manufacturer: SATA * Type: Serial ATA * Speed: 7200.0 rpm ps. I'm tech challenged - plz. be gentle with me =]
opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts
Those games should work just fine with Vista. IMO, Vista is quite superior to XP. Just upgrade to Win7 (if you wish) when it is available. But you can still dual boot. I used EASEUS Partition Manager to partition my HD for dual booting.
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
Vista is VERY supirior to XP in every way possible.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

You could setup a dual boot, but in all honesty I don't see why.

I've ran FarCry and Halo on Vista 64. I can't comment on RE4 since I never played the game nor had interest in it. In fact, feel free to look over my game collection list (see if this link works for you). At least 75% of the games I own on that list I have successfully installed and played on Vista 64; the other 25% are games I haven't played in years. This includes playing games like Baldur's Gate II, Deus Ex, Fallout 1 and 2, Gothic 1-3, Half Life games, Halo: Combat Evolved, Never Winter Nights 1&2, Painkiller, Star Wars KOTOR 1&2, Warcraft II....what I'm getting at is Vista 64 can run pretty much any game you throw at it.

Only one game that I've tried to run on Vista 64 (uncertain about XP or Win 7, never tried the game on those OSs), wouldn't install and run:Gods: Lands of Infinity

Not like I really cared about playing that game anyways, I only paid about $5 for it from GameStop. I just keep it in my collection.

I haven't ran a dual boot before so I'm not sure on the exacts of how to, other then you need to partition your HDD.

Latebloomer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Latebloomer9
Thanks for the reply, I keep reading such horrible things about Vista - I'm so used to XP that I think anything would be inferior to it lol. I'm glad you like Vista, I wonder why it has such bad press? But with the way the industry is going, XP is going obsolete so I might as well just deal with it. I'll play around w/ Vista first and maybe install those older games and see if they work before doing anything with the Hard Drives. I've never had to learn so much about computers until I started gaming this past January.
Latebloomer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Latebloomer9
You guys are awesome, being new here I was nervous that people would attack me LOL Thanks, I'll keep checking back in to read and click links you offer. I feel alot better about Vista now.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 neatfeatguy
[QUOTE="Latebloomer9"]Thanks for the reply, I keep reading such horrible things about Vista - I'm so used to XP that I think anything would be inferior to it lol. I'm glad you like Vista, I wonder why it has such bad press? But with the way the industry is going, XP is going obsolete so I might as well just deal with it. I'll play around w/ Vista first and maybe install those older games and see if they work before doing anything with the Hard Drives. I've never had to learn so much about computers until I started gaming this past January.

Vista, when first out, lacked many drivers that you could call useful for everyday things. Video drivers sucked, people couldn't use older hardware (printers, fax machines and such) due to lack of drivers, it operated slower than what XP could do...there was a long list of issues that really ticked a lot of people off. One of the biggest things was the "Upgrade" ability that Vista would allow you to do from XP, this way you didn't have to reformat and do a clean install of a new OS. So many people had so many problems doing the upgrade that they had to, in the end, reformat and do a clean install. Vista was premature - it was rushed and promised on things it couldn't successfully do yet (due to lack of drivers and poor implementation). A lot of people didn't enjoy dealing with headaches from it and moved back to XP. Once Vista had a lot of extra work done to it and Service Pack 1 came out, things improved. Service Pack 2 took care of more issues and also many companies have had lots of time to redo and refine drivers for their products to operate correctly with Vista. Vista has come a long, long way since it was released. Many games that you couldn't play in the past on Vista, you can today. You will find a few things that might really bother you about Vista, like the UAC (User Account Control). It can be disabled, just do a search online for how to do so. Windows 7's UAC is much more user friendly and much less irritating. It took me a little while to adjust from going to Vista after using XP (and knowing a lot of the shortcuts and ins and outs for XP) for so many years. It felt awkward for a bit, but now I'm used to it and I'm learning things about Vista - just like I did with XP. You shouldn't be disappointed with the switch from XP to Vista, but you might feel like a fish out of water for a few days until you get used to things.
Latebloomer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Latebloomer9
To Neatfeatguy: your game list - I plan to get Bioshock soon (needed to recheck OS requirements but it probly plays) Still want Riddick - Butcher's Bay Have Crysis Max Pack, bought it the day before I lost my computer, couldn't play yet :/ Want both F.E.A.R. games Still want Fallout 3 Want Far Cry 2 (hear it sux tho - will get it cheap) Want Gears of War Want STALKER - Churnobyl My old PC couldn't play newer games but now it can so I can start getting the new ones. I'm dying to play RE5 & Red Faction Guerrilla (but gamers say pc version of RFG sux & to wait for patches first. Looked on Red Faction Underground official site & the troubleshooting is full of angry customers). :/ Maybe I won't do the partition after all?? I'd rather not have to since I'm tech challenged
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 neatfeatguy
[QUOTE="Latebloomer9"]To Neatfeatguy: Bioshock Want Gears of War

Bioshock runs like a well oiled machine. You should not have a single issue running that game with a 9800GT video card. Gears of War is kind of picky when getting it to run on Vista 64. You might have to jump through a hoop or two, but they're pretty simple to do. First and foremost, download the patches (I don't remember if there are two or three, but there is at least two. One of them turns off the internal clock that was locking people out of the game for some reason or another - I can't remember why - without it you won't be able to play the game). Also when you do play the game, I found that I couldn't get the game to run correctly by just opening it through a shortcut (like I can with any other game out there). For some dumb reason you need to click on the Start Button, open the Games folder and launch the game from there. One last thing, some people could play Gears of War without a single problem on the PC, others had horrible stuttering issues - no matter how good of a computer they had. I was one that had horrible stuttering issues and my computer is more than capable to max out Gears of War. If you have issues with bad stuttering/hiccups and such, let me know; just PM me. I've copied down a short list of things you can do to help remove the stuttering problems. The list of things to go through is simple to follow and it removed about 95% of my stuttering problems.
Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

Try installing the games, and see what happens. They should work with Vista as there not that old. If they work with Vista then they stand a good chance of working in windows 7.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

To Neatfeatguy: your game list - I plan to get Bioshock soon (needed to recheck OS requirements but it probly plays) Still want Riddick - Butcher's Bay Have Crysis Max Pack, bought it the day before I lost my computer, couldn't play yet :/ Want both F.E.A.R. games Still want Fallout 3 Want Far Cry 2 (hear it sux tho - will get it cheap) Want Gears of War Want STALKER - Churnobyl My old PC couldn't play newer games but now it can so I can start getting the new ones. I'm dying to play RE5 & Red Faction Guerrilla (but gamers say pc version of RFG sux & to wait for patches first. Looked on Red Faction Underground official site & the troubleshooting is full of angry customers). :/ Maybe I won't do the partition after all?? I'd rather not have to since I'm tech challengedLatebloomer9

Recent games run as good on Vista as on XP. If you still want XP after Vista is already installed,

you need to create a new partition or use a 2nd HD. Go to my computer>Manage >disk management. Vista allows you to reduce the partition size (as long as there is enough free space left) if your system partition already spans the entire disk. Create a new partition (primary partition/NTFS format) with the remaining space (foresee at least 30 GB for the OS and common programs).

Boot with the XP CD and install XP on the 2nd partition/drive

Once installed, Windows Vista will no longer boot (XP overwrite the boot manager and doesn't reciognize Vista) so boot with the Vista DVD in the drive and do a repair install.

Use a boot manager utility like EasyBCD to configure which OS to boot by default (Vista or XP).

Latebloomer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Latebloomer9
Thanks Gog & Tim_Mill. - I just got my new pc set up and the recovery disks made in case of emergency ;) Ya I'll install the games and see what plays first before I start a partition for XP. They had a GTA trilogy game at the store for just $20 but I was still afraid some might not work on Vista so I didn't get it w/out reading up on it. That's the great thing about getting into gaming so late; most of the games are so cheap to start. lol =D But so far I really like this Vista version alot & the PC so far is awesome! Easy to set up. (gotta get my Geforce 9800 & PSU in this weekend. I'm keeping your partitioning instructions saved in another file so I can do the partition if my games don't play. & thanks for the tips on running some games that don't pull up on a desktop shortcut. I'm tempted to install Crysys and get to gaming but I have alot to install & do first. Thanks guys!
rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts

vista > xp