overheating computer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tb0rg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 tb0rg0
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts

hey,

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/cyberpowerpc-cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-intel-core-i7-960-computer-gxi240-english-gxi240/10170689.aspx?path=d5616dc2f7614d94bd3c137b218a5d2cen02

got this pc about 6 months ago and it reaches 60 degrees celsius very quickly when running high graphic games. while running normally its hottest area is about 40-45 degress C.

i'm just wondering what i can do to improve/ lower its temperature, any recommendations on good working fans/ cooling products would be appreciated.

thanks

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

What is it exactly that's running at 60C? Your CPU, Video Card?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
60°c isn't over-heating, lol.
smokerope187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 smokerope187
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts

hey,

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/cyberpowerpc-cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-intel-core-i7-960-computer-gxi240-english-gxi240/10170689.aspx?path=d5616dc2f7614d94bd3c137b218a5d2cen02

got this pc about 6 months ago and it reaches 60 degrees celsius very quickly when running high graphic games. while running normally its hottest area is about 40-45 degress C.

i'm just wondering what i can do to improve/ lower its temperature, any recommendations on good working fans/ cooling products would be appreciated.

thanks

tb0rg0
reseat the heatsink to the cpu i had same problem.
Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

60 degrees in nothing to be worried about, CPU/GPU will get hotter as time goes on because of dust and thermal paste gets old and crusty, if youre that worried give your pc dust and realpply thermal paste,

tb0rg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tb0rg0

its at the CPU. and i figured 60 is overheating because the default alarm goes off at 55. I'll try reseating. thanks for the advice guys. anyone recommend a water cooling unit? because i was thinking of adding another graphics card for 3d.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C_Rule

its at the CPU. and i figured 60 is overheating because the default alarm goes off at 55. I'll try reseating. thanks for the advice guys. anyone recommend a water cooling unit? because i was thinking of adding another graphics card for 3d.

tb0rg0
What CPU do you have?
tb0rg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tb0rg0

[QUOTE="tb0rg0"]

C_Rule

What CPU do you have?

quad core, Intel Core i7-960, 3.2ghz... hope thats what you're asking. im a noob.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="tb0rg0"]

tb0rg0

What CPU do you have?

quad core, Intel Core i7-960, 3.2ghz... hope thats what you're asking. im a noob.

What alarm are you talking about? Is it one that has been set in the BIOS, or is it a program? That CPU has a suggested (by Intel) max temp of 68°c, so you should not be being notified when it hits 55°c. Do you have the stock Intel cooler? If you want to make a significant difference to your temps, buy an after-market cooler. The Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is a very good cooler which can be had for under $30 USD.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="tb0rg0"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"] What CPU do you have? C_Rule

What alarm are you talking about? Is it one that has been set in the BIOS, or is it a program? That CPU has a suggested (by Intel) max temp of 68°c, so you should not be being notified when it hits 55°c. Do you have the stock Intel cooler? If you want to make a significant difference to your temps, buy an after-market cooler. The Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is a very good cooler which can be had for under $30 USD.

Also 60C with the default intel cooler is perfectly normal so nothing its overheating or anything Also since hyper 212+ its a bit hard to install ( you probably have to remove the mobo of your case dont have a cut out in the side ) you might wanna consider the coolermaster TX3+. Its about 20 and for a cpu at default clocks its great ( it will allow you for a decent OC as well )
tb0rg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tb0rg0

I believe it is an alarm attached to the touch panel fan control that goes off as that is where i can change the temperature the alarm goes off at. maybe i will raise it so it doesnt go off until 63-65 -ish. i'll look into these fans you guys suggested. thanks a bunch.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 C_Rule

I believe it is an alarm attached to the touch panel fan control that goes off as that is where i can change the temperature the alarm goes off at. maybe i will raise it so it doesnt go off until 63-65 -ish. i'll look into these fans you guys suggested. thanks a bunch.

tb0rg0
Are you getting your CPU temp readings from your fan controller? Assuming the fan controller uses little probes and not some sort of software that reads core temps, the temperatures it gives will be grossly inaccurate (the actual temp will be significantly higher). Download RealTemp or HWMonitor for accurate readings.
tb0rg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tb0rg0

[QUOTE="tb0rg0"]

C_Rule

Are you getting your CPU temp readings from your fan controller? Assuming the fan controller uses little probes and not some sort of software that reads core temps, the temperatures it gives will be grossly inaccurate (the actual temp will be significantly higher). Download RealTemp or HWMonitor for accurate readings.

both, and they are about the same, give-or-take a few degrees