OnLive: You Opinions.

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KingofScots7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KingofScots7
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts

You guys heard about the new OnLive console? Kinda cool but then again it kinda takes the fun out of everything. I know its not mandatory to have but still. There is a certain satisfaction that a person gets when they buid their own computer and it can ahndle everything thrown at it. I don't know this may be a good thing but also have to remeber it may not live up to what it says it will. What are your thoughts?

Sorry supposed to be your opinions. Just a little typo.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
It sounds like a great service, but I want to know how we're supposed to be able to play LAN games with it. I think it will kill that joy instantly. I also don't like the idea that I have to constantly be streaming video online through the service. Steam requires that you're online, but I can still play my single player games when my connection is down. I also can play single player games without worry of lag because other people are using the network. Maybe the service is ahead of its time.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Its either going to be HUGE or have major problems which they obviously didnt mention then it will flop.

KingofScots7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KingofScots7

Good points I didn't think of. Yeahit kinda makes me hope it tanks but like I said who knows it may be a revolution(But we have heard that many times before).

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

It sounds like a great service, but I want to know how we're supposed to be able to play LAN games with it. I think it will kill that joy instantly. I also don't like the idea that I have to constantly be streaming video online through the service. Steam requires that you're online, but I can still play my single player games when my connection is down. I also can play single player games without worry of lag because other people are using the network. Maybe the service is ahead of its time.cd_rom

It's not ahead of its time, it's just in time. This and AWOMO seem to start a new trend.

PlanckEpoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PlanckEpoch
Member since 2009 • 171 Posts

It's going to take away the incentive to upgrade your PC hardware as often, so I can see that PC hardware companies are going to suffer since people won't need to buy their equipment so much.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Nice Concept, but i don't like it. I have many games on my computer i keep just incase internet is off (which, around where i am, if that happens, it take days to get back on.) even though in this time frame, many americans have internet, but the simple fact is not everyone is going to have a fast connection. I don't want my connection of internet to influence how good my game looks. Plus, i don't like the thought of having too many 'contracts'. I like the thought of 'one-time pay' games.

KingofScots7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KingofScots7

To me it just doesn't feel right. That's my opinion. If this works this may be too big of a leap into what could have taken small steps to do. I don't know. Some people like big changes others don't. For me it just depends on the change and this is not one I am entirely fond of.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

I just don't think this is going to work just yet. Internet connections need to be many times faster and have more bandwidth before something this ambitious becomes a reality. I can see some really cool applications with cloud computing, but I just don't think playing a modern day, fast-paced FPS or racing game with a computer that's rendering the images hundreds of miles away is going to work without some serious technical hitches.

HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts
Don't like it at all. I want to own my games that I purchase, not pay Onlive to play their copies of the games. If I wanted to do that, I would just continue to rent games anyway.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
It looks interesting, it's definitely taking the digital distribution of the future to a whole new level
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Look's cool but they will need some serious power on their side.
k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts

Looks more like a novelty.

But I doubt the trend would catch on.

daprofesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 daprofesa
Member since 2005 • 1030 Posts

It is a very good idea but it here is it flaws:

Internet connections/bandwidth issues

Also, I already own consoles, why should I buy that when (based on the conference) the game are multi-platform (not exclusives) and i have a console which i can pla those games already. If ON LIVE is going to have a monthly charge, I can just pay a charge for gamefly. I don't think ON LIVE will be getting exclusives because then the games would not be exclusive

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

Looks great to me. As a pc gamer who hasnt been able to keep up with hardware for the last few years, this is something that really appeals to me. That added with my burning hate for physical media and onlive is something I can really get into. The demo just solidified my opinion.

purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts

Its either going to be HUGE or have major problems which they obviously didnt mention then it will flop.

Daytona_178

I agree with this. Either it works near perfection or it will just implode because of multiple reasons.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

i support it even if i wont purchase it at least for a few years. however, more people playing pc games means more games for us

KingofScots7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KingofScots7

ASo what was everyones impressions on the conference. I for one am thinking of all the companies that will take a huge hit from this if this actually works. Companies that make computer parts and that is their only source of profit. Know what companies I am thinking of?

bross92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bross92
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I am just beyond pumped. I don't know anything about computers, the highest quality game I can smoothly run is Max Payne from 2002. Sure, I probably wouldn't adopt OnLive during THIS generation of gaming, as I already have a 360 which I love very much, but next generation....hey, I just may have to make the PC switch. It just seemed so fluid and so simple, I really can't help but get my hopes up (still, I do realize that it COULD flop. I'm just hoping it won't) Also, this could be a new revolution for gaming prices. I love gamestop as much as the next cheap gamer, but if suddenly a new brand of games came out that could never be lent or re-sold, then wouldn't that eventually create a larger profit margin for the companies, thus creating profit models allowing CHEAPER games? I don't know about you guys, but I miss the days of the $30 new game, and I think this technology could at least stop prices from rising, and quite possible lead to a price reduction if the system becomes big In summary: I'm pumped
Memoryitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Memoryitis
Member since 2006 • 2221 Posts

Wow this is pretty crazy.So basically we are using their computers to play through the internet. I am going to need to check this out. I bet theres going to be an ass load of problems with it though hmmmmmm

liquidzero123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 liquidzero123
Member since 2004 • 7111 Posts

I don't like the thought of anyone in the world being able to watch me play my single player game, but there should be an on/off switch for that. If you were able to download and install the games instead of streaming gameplay, then surely that would put an end to the worry of unpredictable gameplay through streaming. But it is amazing how you can play any game on max settings on your tv or on arubbish computer.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

LOL... Good luck OnLive. Competition has come sooner then many have thought.

"Surprisingly, OnLive already has competition on the horizon. A startup by the name of OTOY aims to provide high speed gaming, HD movie playback and more, by using a web browser plugin. The driving force behind OTOY is AMD's Fusion Render Cloud, a supercomputer class machine capable of petaflop processing power with over 1,000 GPUs. In a conversation with Jules Urbach, OTOY's CEO, he mentioned that OTOY will be entering beta in the summer and should be up and running in the year."

bross92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bross92
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

LOL... Good luck OnLive. Competition has come sooner then many have thought.

"Surprisingly, OnLive already has competition on the horizon. A startup by the name of OTOY aims to provide high speed gaming, HD movie playback and more, by using a web browser plugin. The driving force behind OTOY is AMD's Fusion Render Cloud, a supercomputer class machine capable of petaflop processing power with over 1,000 GPUs. In a conversation with Jules Urbach, OTOY's CEO, he mentioned that OTOY will be entering beta in the summer and should be up and running in the year."

OoSuperMarioO
DAMN that was fast. Well, on the plus side, competition always forces businesses to up the ante. Unfortunately, this could also lead to a rushed distribution with many flaws, thus turning many people off of the idea
Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts
This is the most exciting thing in gaming in a long time. If it works like they are saying it will, we can expect it to be the future of gaming.
cirensc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cirensc
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Sounds like a gimmick to me, and there are a few issues I have with this service that would need to be addressed before I even consider trying it. I guess though when it comes to gaming the biggest problem I have is that it takes my rights as a consumer of the game away from me...I'll no longer own a copy of the game, I'll rent time to play it. I can't mod the game to what I specifically want unless its official DLC that I'll have to spend more money for.

Just how many games are they going to provide access to and are they permanently part of their library or after 6 months, a year or two the game is flushed from their library along with my saved game file that I worked on while renting the time to play it from their service? Right now if I own a hard copy of the game, I can install it, play it, uninstall anytime I want from my pc without interference from any outside party (stupid DRM or install limits notwithstanding).

I think the argument comes down to who gets control over my passion for gaming and my rights as a consumer...whether or not I want to give those up to someone else just so I can be a little lazier in my pursuit of gaming fun.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
[QUOTE="daprofesa"]

It is a very good idea but it here is it flaws:

Internet connections/bandwidth issues

Also, I already own consoles, why should I buy that when (based on the conference) the game are multi-platform (not exclusives) and i have a console which i can pla those games already. If ON LIVE is going to have a monthly charge, I can just pay a charge for gamefly. I don't think ON LIVE will be getting exclusives because then the games would not be exclusive

I didn't get to watch the conference yet so I'm not sure what you mean about the exclusives. The article, they said that they played Crysis which is a PC exclusive. But anyway like you said, you already have the consoles. If this OnLive thing takes off, maybe it'll be worth it for the next generation of consoles. I don't have any consoles yet so this thing appeals to me if it works like they say it does. If it turns out to be crappy, I'll just buy the consoles eventually. Can't wait to play MGS4!
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
The Cloud! The Cloud!!! :o...........lol i still don't buy everything being in "the clouds" :lol:
Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

I don't like the thought of anyone in the world being able to watch me play my single player game, but there should be an on/off switch for that. If you were able to download and install the games instead of streaming gameplay, then surely that would put an end to the worry of unpredictable gameplay through streaming. But it is amazing how you can play any game on max settings on your tv or on arubbish computer.

liquidzero123
They mentioned that there is an option to turn off spectator mode. So others can't watch you play. I think its a really awesome idea. I just think its going to take some time for it to catch on to people. Not having to upgrade your PC sounds like an awesome idea. I guess we will see how well of a success Onlive is when it launches.
volcax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 volcax
Member since 2004 • 70 Posts

Great idea if they can pull it off. There are obvious issues with lag and broadband cost and dependability (mine is not cheap or dependable), but they say they've been working for 7 years on a way to get latency down to microseconds.

It would be great for people like me who have a good PC setup but no current gen consoles. I want to be able to play some of the console titles but don't want to have to buy one or more consoles just so I can play one or two games. This may scare a number of console making companies.

arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

It's going to take away the incentive to upgrade your PC hardware as often, so I can see that PC hardware companies are going to suffer since people won't need to buy their equipment so much.

PlanckEpoch
So hardware companies will surely politically doom this concept. :P
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Baranga

[QUOTE="PlanckEpoch"]

arijit_2404

So hardware companies will surely politically doom this concept. :P

Nah, they'll focus on 3D stuff (think Paycheck, when the main character reveals the hologram desktop) and on fancy Minority Report displays.

chris4355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chris4355
Member since 2007 • 266 Posts

I'm sorry but I hate the idea of not being able to physically own a game. I'm also very surprised this is not bothering more people.

chris4355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chris4355

"Can I try new games before buying? Yes. You can play the latest and greatest demos, and even rent games to try them out. OnLive also lets you watch the top players as a way to discover new games and learn a few new tricks."

coming from the onlive FAQ, thats awesome!

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 X360PS3AMD05

I'm sorry but I hate the idea of not being able to physically own a game. I'm also very surprised this is not bothering more people.

chris4355
It bothers me, also you can't resell a digital game. Like someone mentioned already, what happens when this company goes under? Or God forbid if Steam ever goes under :o I've bought a few games for $5-10 on Steam.
TheFragcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheFragcat
Member since 2008 • 2466 Posts

For me, i collect games, so i like to have a physical copy.

Don't get me wrong, Onlive seems good, but i don't think many people will get it.

chris4355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chris4355

[QUOTE="chris4355"]

X360PS3AMD05

It bothers me, also you can't resell a digital game. Like someone mentioned already, what happens when this company goes under? Or God forbid if Steam ever goes under :o I've bought a few games for $5-10 on Steam.

I know waht you mean about steam. The only game I ever bought on steam was Crysis Warhead and now I feel like I don't own the game.

I just don't like the idea of digitally owning something, while only being able to access it through Steam, or any other program.

I also don't see onlive succeeding all that effectively, my guess is its too young for its time. Not many people have very fast connections that will be able to handle this at a higher quality than what they already have, I know I won't.

I also think that no lag thing they have been claiming is bs, no matter what there will be some kind of noticeable latency, really comes down to whether players will be willing to put up with it or not.

---

I could see how developpers would like it though, especially in the PC market where everyone owns a different PC and its a pain in the ass for them to deal with tech support and constant patches due to compatibility issues.

Maybe if onlive gets a couple of exclusives then that will give it an edge, but even then, people are limited due to low connection speed.

Oh and one more thing, the idea of paying a subscription fee for games I pay for really bugs me, if thats the case I could see a lot of people not even considering this.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X360PS3AMD05
Lets not even get into Time Warner and Comcast limiting bandwidth usage.
chris4355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chris4355

Not only that, but you are gong to lag your entire network.

Even if you have the 5 mbit connection required to run HD quality, doing so means anyone else who shares your bandwidth is going to make you lag and vice versa.

What if someone else in the house plays games on the same network? If we both use onlive we will need a 10 mbit con for HD quality.

This is a great idea, I just think its too young for its time, internet connection speeds are getting faster theres no doubt about that, but its just not fast enough yet.

Maybe in 5-10 years.

Either way this takes away too many of our freedoms and many of us, especially PC gamers will not support it:

- forced subscription in order to play

- this is DRM at its best

- internet required to play, needs a very fast internet connection

- no modding

I just can't see it happening because a project of this magnitude will need a large user base in order to sustain itself, and I highly doubt it will have a very large user base judging by all these limitations.

visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#39 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
If people complain about their lag time between their PS3/360 and their HDTV, imagine what it will be like from the time you input commands until the time they are executed on screen. I know it probably won't affect 90% of gameplay, but some games require a lot of precise timing. There has to be a lot of compression in the video too, I image it would look far superior to run the game on your own rig. Will any games be developed exclusively for OnLive? Something with way to high of graphics and physics to run on 99% of the rigs out there? If so would it even be worth it after the video compression?
wiidominance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 wiidominance
Member since 2006 • 1499 Posts

PlanckEpoch
Not true, the market of dedicated PC gamers was always small, and it won't be as affected by this I think, cause there is one area that Onlive falls short on, and thats Resolution. You can go up to 720p Onlive, also another thing which I didn't think of, not absolutely every pc game gona be available on that. So they won't suffer as much, in fact, it can improve, cause Onlive is gona handle building awesome rig farms, so they gone need equipment from nvidia .. etc .
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Will this mean that they wont sell game retail or is this just another way of buying them like steam,impulse etc?
cifru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 cifru
Member since 2005 • 2211 Posts
As a person who has joined PC gaming this year ( yeah late i know :P ) i kinda feel offended. Sure not everyone can own a good computer but for people with high end PCs are a bit screwed. Plus no physical copy OR digital copy is a huge con for me.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

I don't get why people feel so threatened by onlive. It's pretty obvious that a fast computer and a physical copy will continue to be an option (at least for the forseeable future) and be the superior option. To me, onlive is something that will help bring more gamers and publishers into PC gaming as an alternate method of play. Think about all the people out there with inadequate hardware or no patience for traditional pc gaming, then think about what a service like this will do for that crowed. Look at all the publishers that have backed the service so far and notice that they are console heavy publishers backing a pc service.

And about owning the game...I think people should wait for more info on that subject before they jump to conclusions. They already demoed a rental service, so "buying" a game on the system is completely optional. Also, suppose the price point for a new release on golive was $10-20 instead of $40-50, with the understanding that you never TRUELY own the media. I think that would be a good tradeoff, but like I said, there is no info on that stuff yet so let's try not to make things up.

At the end of the day, I don't see onlive stealing users from anything. Except maybe consoles. lol. For PC gaming, I see this as a parallel service to what we have now. An addition option for gamers who dont have the technical confidence or funds for a large hardware investment. It will expand the PC gaming industry, not take away from it.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Baranga

As a person who has joined PC gaming this year ( yeah late i know :P ) i kinda feel offended. Sure not everyone can own a good computer but for people with high end PCs are a bit screwed. Plus no physical copy OR digital copy is a huge con for me.cifru

It's not mandatory, you know...

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
The only part that interests me at this time is the ability to rent PC games. You can't do that now and if there isn't a demo you have to rely on third party opinions to make an informed choice. Other than that I don't see myself using the service for several reasons: 1. I like to own physical media. It gives me a sense of ownership and control digital copies just don't. 2. I don't like needing to have an internet connection because it's connectivity is not under my control. If it goes down now I can still play all my games. If it goes down and all my games are OnLive I'm screwed. 3. I like the hardware aspect of PC gaming and building my own machines. It's an aspect of the hobby that would be in jeopardy if this service gets popular. Edit: how could I forget mods?! One of the best reasons to game on PC! I've got the PC GOTY edition of Oblivion on the way so I downloaded 4GB worth of mods to add to it. I don't see how that would be possible with OnLive.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#46 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
The only part that interests me at this time is the ability to rent PC games. You can't do that now and if there isn't a demo you have to rely on third party opinions to make an informed choice. Other than that I don't see myself using the service for several reasons: 1. I like to own physical media. It gives me a sense of ownership and control digital copies just don't. 2. I don't like needing to have an internet connection because it's connectivity is not under my control. If it goes down now I can still play all my games. If it goes down and all my games are OnLive I'm screwed. 3. I like the hardware aspect of PC gaming and building my own machines. It's an aspect of the hobby that would be in jeopardy if this service gets popular. Edit: how could I forget mods?! One of the best reasons to game on PC! I've got the PC GOTY edition of Oblivion on the way so I downloaded 4GB worth of mods to add to it. I don't see how that would be possible with OnLive.Bane_v2
What he said.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
chris4365 just brought up a good point. The possibility of NO MODDING. The biggest part of the PC gaming community will be thrown out the window. No more custom skins, no more custom maps, no more gameplay mods. We'll be forced to buy the "DLC" that all the consoles have.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
This sounds like Sega TV 2.0, anyone remember that idea that was suppose to 'revolutionized' the way we played games? Yep didn't work so well, I can't see how this is going to work, bandwidth is my main concern on this. Yes they say you can do it with a 1.5mbps connection, but most ISP cap below what is being sold to the users. Not only that by streaming takes up data which in turns eats up people's monthly bandwidth usage policies if they have one.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Baranga

chris4365 just brought up a good point. The possibility of NO MODDING. The biggest part of the PC gaming community will be thrown out the window. No more custom skins, no more custom maps, no more gameplay mods. We'll be forced to buy the "DLC" that all the consoles have.cd_rom

Or you could not use the service.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="Bane_v2"]The only part that interests me at this time is the ability to rent PC games. You can't do that now and if there isn't a demo you have to rely on third party opinions to make an informed choice. Other than that I don't see myself using the service for several reasons: 1. I like to own physical media. It gives me a sense of ownership and control digital copies just don't. 2. I don't like needing to have an internet connection because it's connectivity is not under my control. If it goes down now I can still play all my games. If it goes down and all my games are OnLive I'm screwed. 3. I like the hardware aspect of PC gaming and building my own machines. It's an aspect of the hobby that would be in jeopardy if this service gets popular. Edit: how could I forget mods?! One of the best reasons to game on PC! I've got the PC GOTY edition of Oblivion on the way so I downloaded 4GB worth of mods to add to it. I don't see how that would be possible with OnLive.chandu83
What he said.

Gametap