***Official comeback from Ubisoft over DRM***

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

will952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 will952
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts

Ubi have come back with some answers....but I'm not satisfied.

Link

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

I suggest you post this in the official sticky.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Might be the worst DRM ever... good thing its for a game that im not interested in at all though (I find this series very overrated, playing part 2 on console didnt do much to change that for me).

kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

Its hilarious how they think this will reduce piracy and bring them more sales.

People who would pirate this game wont buy it and will wait for some kind of crack (it will be , sooner or latter) and there will be part of people who would have bought the game , but now wont .

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I actually thought they reconsidered some aspects of this exaggerated system but it turns out, they're trying to justify it o_0. I bought the first even if it wasn't anything spectacular and I would have bought the 2nd one sooner or later, but this system is outrageous even for someone like me that doesn't care much about DRM as long as the game works.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Well I'm not buying the game on princable, I feel like I am being treated like a criminal by Ubi for a game that I will buy! And if people buy the game and put up with this kinda crap it gives companies the OK to do what they like.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

lol they said when the console version was released that the pc version had been delayed to give the pc gamers the best port possible.

BULL****!!! :D Crappy DRM

There should be some sort of physical real world object that comes with the game that u have to plug in to play that can't be bought seperately.

Each different type of game could have a unique one.

You wouldn't have to be connected to the internet then.

Not sure what problems that would bring i may not of thought it through but thats my idea :D

Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts

None of you people are allowed to buy Starcraft 2 then, it does the exact same with battle.net... ( why are people only going after ubi when someone else like blizzard is doing the same? )

Edit: Well it does have an offline mode you have to be signed on to save and access you're save games.

Bros89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bros89
Member since 2004 • 624 Posts

Brave New World

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DanielDust

None of you people are allowed to buy Starcraft 2 then, it does the exact same with battle.net... ( why are people only going after ubi when someone else like blizzard is doing the same? )

Edit: Well it does have an offline mode you have to be signed on to save and access you're save games.

Super-Trooper

Link, I mean official link? there is nothing official about local saves not working.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

[QUOTE="Super-Trooper"]

DanielDust

Link, I mean official link? there is nothing official about local saves not working.

Not accessing saves could mean server side saves (like steam cloud), but there could be local saves on everyones PC. So unless Blizzard has said (and you can link it) that you can not save period without connection to Battle.net then you can't hold up you stance one bit.

And another reason people are going against Ubi is because it is a single player game ONLY. Why in the world should I have to be connected to the internet to play a game that in no way has anything to do with the internet?

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

i wonder if it will even work...

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mograine

[QUOTE="Super-Trooper"]

DanielDust

Don't worry, just a Blizzard hater saying a lot of bull****.

StarCraft 2 was built from scratch to be an online experience, and you can play offline nevertheless. Playing online means you can store saved games on Blizzard's servers and access achievements, while playing offline forces you to use local saved games.

AC2 on the other hand is a single player experience, you have no reason to be connected to play it, and you can't play if you're offline, period.

Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Super-Trooper

Blizzard's new Battle.net system, launching later this year with StarCraft II, also requires an internet connection, although it does offer an offline mode that only allows you to log in as a guest. With Battle.net, you won't be able to earn achievements or access your save games and player records while offline.

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="Super-Trooper"]

Mograine

StarCraft 2 was built from scratch to be an online experience, and you can play offline nevertheless. Playing online means you can store saved games on Blizzard's servers and access achievements, while playing offline forces you to use local saved games.

AC2 on the other hand is a single player experience, you have no reason to be connected to play it, and you can't play if you're offline, period.

Yes i've owned every single blizzard pc game, clearly I am a hater - I just remember reading that paragraph in the above link

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

I'm done whining about DRM. It's sad that I have to play the game on Ubi's terms instead of my own, but I'll deal with it.

I am not the least bit angry with Ubisoft. I reserve all hatred for pirates.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Agent_Kaliaver

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] Link, I mean official link? there is nothing official about local saves not working.

Super-Trooper

Yes i've owned every single blizzard pc game, clearly I am a hater - I just remember reading that paragraph in the above sentence

That is not every Blizzard pc game.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Agent_Kaliaver

I'm done whining about DRM. It's sad that I have to play the game on Ubi's terms instead of my own, but I'll deal with it.

dos4gw82
You should be angry with Ubisoft because they just helped spawn more pirates.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

lol they said when the console version was released that the pc version had been delayed to give the pc gamers the best port possible.

BULL****!!! :D Crappy DRM

There should be some sort of physical real world object that comes with the game that u have to plug in to play that can't be bought seperately.

Each different type of game could have a unique one.

You wouldn't have to be connected to the internet then.

Not sure what problems that would bring i may not of thought it through but thats my idea :D

PcGamingRig
A virtual device and driver could be created... though I could see it being fairly effective.
Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Super-Trooper

That is not every Blizzard pc game.Agent_Kaliaver

To my knowledge you can't add War 1 / 2 and Diablo to a battle.net account..

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#21 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

$100 says AC2'll will still be successfully pirated even with this new DRM, then Ubisoft will feel foolish when they see crappy sales ( not that they care for pc sales anyway ).

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Agent_Kaliaver

[QUOTE="Agent_Kaliaver"]That is not every Blizzard pc game.Super-Trooper

Never said that you could. But if you are going to say you own every single game then you better show you own every single game (that means pictures). I do wish that you could add those old games though. It would be so nice for them to be digital.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="Super-Trooper"]

[QUOTE="Agent_Kaliaver"]That is not every Blizzard pc game.Agent_Kaliaver

Never said that you could. But if you are going to say you own every single game then you better show you own every single game (that means pictures). I do wish that you could add those old games though. It would be so nice for them to be digital.

Good grief, how is that even relevant to his point? Someone called him a Blizzard hater and the fact of the matter is he has a B.Net account full of them.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Agent_Kaliaver

[QUOTE="Agent_Kaliaver"]

[QUOTE="Super-Trooper"]

Renevent42

Good grief, how is that even relevant to his point? Someone called him a Blizzard hater and the fact of the matter is he has a B.Net account full of them.

Damn you are serious man... In no way do I expect to he take pictures or want him to take pictures of all his games. Also it was relevant because he said he owned all and that was not all (even thought it is enough to be a fan of blizzard).

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mograine

once again, blizzard fanboys trimph with their mastering of double standard. bravo.

Jinroh_basic

Acting like two completely different DRM methods applied to two completely different games are the same, making random posts completely irrelevant to the topic such as "Why discuss about Ubisoft doing it? Let's blame Blizzard instead!" and accusing of double standards without having a clue of what you're talking about is surely the way to go, then.

@ST

Nevermind what I said.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
well whatever passing interest I had in AC 2 is gone. I may still get settlers 7 and any future HoMM games if they are good --- but may pass up on Silent Hunter and Anno : Venice
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 naval
Also, for starcraft 2 you need to authenticate once (and some times after a hardware upgrade) but after that you can still play in offline mode. There is no limited activations or anything
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

Agent_Kaliaver

Then guess what? those people are stupid, and only showing that they are, in fact, no better than the people there trying to act better against, and are only HELPING to make things worse.

fact.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust

Yes S_T I know that link, but it says nothing about saves being "only" available online and Eurogamer is not Blizz, I don't believe anything from their website, there are lots of cases where they post updates over updates over edits over etc with "sorry, not official", "sorry we were contacted by XYZ, not official", "we contacted XYZ and they said it's not true" and so on.

As I said, official link and I'm gonna assume you don't have any link that will send me on the Blizz/SC 2/Diablo 3 website.

I'm not a Blizz fanboy, I'm not jumping to conclusions, I just see all the facts that Blizzard presented, there are lots of rumors, like B.net having a monthly fee, is it true? no, it's all bull. So I suggest "you people" stop calling others fanboy out of pure blind hate, because you saw that some guy wrote on this forum or another that eurogamer said SC 2 will have no local saves (which they did not even state, actually they say nothing about B.net being exactly like the DRM for AC 2, why can't it be like L4D? oh wait, it really is like that) and now that automatically means all Blizz games will never have local saves just online save that you can't use unless you log in on B.net.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Agent_Kaliaver

[QUOTE="Agent_Kaliaver"][QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

warmaster670

Then guess what? those people are stupid, and only showing that they are, in fact, no better than the people there trying to act better against, and are only HELPING to make things worse.

fact.

I am guessing you are angry about the new pirates (hard to tell from what you just said). I do not plan on buying or pirating AC2 (probably wait for it to get cheap on consoles or something, or buy it used for cheap... yeah definitely used), but if I had been planning on buying this it would just make me not buy it. So Ubi wouldn't (and will not no matter what) be getting money from me for this.

And I am not anti-pirate because DRM to me has never truly made sense... What is the best way to stop those pirates.... oh lets make life hell for anyone actually planning on buying the game. I mean has there been a game with this crap DRM that hasn't been cracked within the week of release (or before release)? And does it seem odd to anyone else that since (more) DRM has been introduced the pirating number has also went up?

So yeah this problem was caused by pirates so I can dislike them for that, but these companies are in no way helping the problem and making it far worse. And I dislike them far more than those starting pirates (or even the new ones).

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

And another reason people are going against Ubi is because it is a single player game ONLY. Why in the world should I have to be connected to the internet to play a game that in no way has anything to do with the internet?

Agent_Kaliaver

This is double standards. Steam works in the same way except you only need 1 connection; instead, the Ubisoft system is a constant check. I find no problem, since most of the people has currently constant Internet connection. I don't think that this is better for the legit player, but honestly it will not hurt the experience. I think that the only people that could be worried about are the pirates, since is only matter of time that all the publishers 8Valve with Steam, Blizzard with Battle.net 2.0, EA with his EA Manager and IW with his IWNET will use this kind of permanent protection.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust
Here's the funny yet short side of this :P
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
The funny thing is... even if it did cut down on piracy and save them sales... i would think the amount of sales they'd lose by implementing this strict of DRM would far outweigh that. They really suck at economics.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DanielDust
The funny thing is... even if it did cut down on piracy and save them sales... i would think the amount of sales they'd lose by implementing this strict of DRM would far outweigh that. They really suck at economics.zomglolcats
Still I'm really curious what will they complain about if this game/system will really be unbreakable. They can't use the extremely popular "it was piracy".
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#35 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
Their response does not tell us much. I mean what is the big deal if the game resumes at a checkpoint after the internet connection is restored?
The bottomline is, you cannot play a single player game without being online all the time. If they do not provide a solution to that - which of course would be counter productive to what they are trying to do - the game is still on the never buy list.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

The funny thing is... even if it did cut down on piracy and save them sales... i would think the amount of sales they'd lose by implementing this strict of DRM would far outweigh that. They really suck at economics.zomglolcats

Except that in the real world the internet forum goers anrt in the majority, most people probably dont even know or care about this.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 naval
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]The funny thing is... even if it did cut down on piracy and save them sales... i would think the amount of sales they'd lose by implementing this strict of DRM would far outweigh that. They really suck at economics.DanielDust
Still I'm really curious what will they complain about if this game/system will really be unbreakable. They can't use the extremely popular "it was piracy".

it would be pretty funny to see the reason they come up with if their favorite scapegoat called piracy is not there . May be they will take a cue from MS any say "The game was meant to be played on a couch" :P
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Renevent42
Do they? They are one of the largest publishers out there...they must know a little about it...right? I dunno...but the fact DRM isn't cheap and investing/developing in new DRM is even more expensive tells me they aren't just making these decisions on a whim or without at least some kind of research. Whether or not it's based on faulty statistics or even misguided, I find it hard to believe a successful company of that size would make business decisions without some level of confidence they are going to make a return on that investment. If it pans out or not is a different story...but I don't think it's completely without merit. Anyways, before I posted this I was checking out their financial reports...this is pretty interesting: http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/2184.pdf Check out their sales breakdown by platform...pretty sad to see PC so low. I'm sure we can all argue reasons as to why this is, but regardless when you have a platform underperforming so much you gotta do something...
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

this about only profit and control.... regulation..

people tend to get off on "power" devs/publishers are no different than presidents or dictators in that sense.

1. increase laws.. and regulation.... check

2. reduce privacy... check

3. reduction of off-line gaming/entertainment.... check

4. increasing the list of things you cannot travel with on public transportation... check

5. form ownership and copywrite expansion...... check.

6. remove laws hendering companies and businesses from donating or sponsoring on presidential campaigns... (for those of you who dont know what this means, it means that wal-mart, microsoft, and mcdonalds are gonna be the ones choosing our next president.... check

7. spreading "democracy" which has really yet to exist... check.

the list goes on and on... what happened to the free country??

it is unfortunate that we are being ushered into the new world order, its bad enough that the government is doing it, now we have these companies that are supposed to have "us" in mind, are doing it to us as well...

and this isnt even the first game like this. C&C4 is just like this. wtf

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]The funny thing is... even if it did cut down on piracy and save them sales... i would think the amount of sales they'd lose by implementing this strict of DRM would far outweigh that. They really suck at economics.Renevent42
Do they? They are one of the largest publishers out there...they must know a little about it...right? I dunno...but the fact DRM isn't cheap and investing/developing in new DRM is even more expensive tells me they aren't just making these decisions on a whim or without at least some kind of research. Whether or not it's based on faulty statistics or even misguided, I find it hard to believe a successful company of that size would make business decisions without some level of confidence they are going to make a return on that investment. If it pans out or not is a different story...but I don't think it's completely without merit. Anyways, before I posted this I was checking out their financial reports...this is pretty interesting: http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/2184.pdf Check out their sales breakdown by platform...pretty sad to see PC so low. I'm sure we can all argue reasons as to why this is, but regardless when you have a platform underperforming so much you gotta do something...

The problem is... EA already went through this whole debacle with Spore, and promptly loosened their DRM. This DRM sounds worse than anything Spore shipped with.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Agent_Kaliaver

[QUOTE="Agent_Kaliaver"]

Ondoval

This is double standards. Steam works in the same way except you only need 1 connection; instead, the Ubisoft system is a constant check. I find no problem, since most of the people has currently constant Internet connection. I don't think that this is better for the legit player, but honestly it will not hurt the experience. I think that the only people that could be worried about are the pirates, since is only matter of time that all the publishers 8Valve with Steam, Blizzard with Battle.net 2.0, EA with his EA Manager and IW with his IWNET will use this kind of permanent protection.

Those programs are in no way permanent protection. Actually because of EA's wondrous manager I had to get a crack (Thank you EA for making me do that you just to play your game). And you can get illegal games from steam too just to let you know. Have I? No, but I have been to LAN parties before. It may very well be a double standerd, but I will never agree with ENFORCING anyone to play a game while connected to the internet when the game has no internet capabilities. And steam works fine with no internet connection (I use it like that all the time). And trust me it does not bother pirates near the way it bothers legit customers. The biggest thing pirates lose or worry about is the loss of multi player, but for everyone else the ability to even play the damn game is at stake.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Renevent42

people tend to get off on "power" devs/publishers are no different than presidents or dictators in that sense.

4. increasing the list of things you cannot travel with on public transportation... check

6. remove laws hendering companies and businesses from donating or sponsoring on presidential campaigns... (for those of you who dont know what this means, it means that wal-mart, microsoft, and mcdonalds are gonna be the ones choosing our next president.... check

it is unfortunate that we are being ushered into the new world order, its bad enough that the government is doing it, now we have these companies that are supposed to have "us" in mind, are doing it to us as well...

Lach0121
I think that's an extremely paranoid point of view... Funny though, I didn't realize Ubisoft was in cahoots with big government and part of the master plan of bringing on the New World Order! Get yer tin foil hats people, it's starting to get scary :P
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zomglolcats

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Renevent42

I think that's an extremely paranoid point of view... Funny though, I didn't realize Ubisoft was in cahoots with big government and part of the master plan of bringing on the New World Order! Get yer tin foil hats people, it's starting to get scary :P

LOL.... yeah wow. New World Order... and UBISOFT! xD

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

And I am not anti-pirate because DRM to me has never truly made sense.Agent_Kaliaver

So you think stealing something is okay because you don't think the way a company prevents people for stealing their stuff makes sense?

Stealing out of spite is still stealing.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="zomglolcats"]The funny thing is... even if it did cut down on piracy and save them sales... i would think the amount of sales they'd lose by implementing this strict of DRM would far outweigh that. They really suck at economics.zomglolcats

The problem is... EA already went through this whole debacle with Spore, and promptly loosened their DRM. This DRM sounds worse than anything Spore shipped with.

I think these companies are constantly trying to push forward on this...two steps forward...one back. They go to far, then they step back a bit. Then the next company tries, and so on. If there's one thing for certain, is that DRM is definitely moving forward and in this direction (online checks)...I don't think this will stop either. Digital age stuff and all...
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zomglolcats

I do have to admit, I play WoW a lot, and the only time I ever have a problem is when the WoW servers have issues. I can't recall when if ever I had a problem with my internet connection. So, in reality, this form of DRM probably wouldn't affect me at all. Though I still am vehemently opposed to it. And it also raises the point that if there is fault with their servers, they will have some pretty serious backlash from consumers. If more and more companies push forward with this method however, this might be the only way to game on the PC in the future.

I could even see them having a class action lawsuit if their servers screw up.

alvaro_pg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 alvaro_pg
Member since 2003 • 330 Posts
Lets face it guys, DRM systems are here to stay if PC gaming is to remain as we know it in the coming years (no, Im not saying PC gaming is dying). We can whine as much as we can saying that piracy doesnt affect sales, but when it comes to PC games and software, it DOES. If we want MORE and better PC games (i mean more because we will always have PC games :P) we are just going to have to deal with it. If you want to blame anyone for an annoying or intrusive DRM system, blame the pirates. Ubisoft move is more than understable.

By the looks of this sytem, it seems it will take some time to crack (if its ever cracked properly). However, DRM systems are not meant to STOP pirating, but deter it. They are meant to slow down pirates as much as they can and make the effort of pirating a game hell so that people who want to/can buy the game (those who could never afford/want it dont really matter) actually do it and not pirate it. It's a simple matter of making it easier for you to just go to the store (or steam or D2D or w/e) and get the actual game, install it and play it in minutes rather than to go through a lot of trouble to get a game to work for free. The only thing I dont like about UBisofts new system is the fact that you have to save your games online. This to me is unacceptable for a single player game. Maybe they went a bit overboard with this one, but only time will tell if it really works. If it does, well I guess all of you Ubisoft haters will have to deal with the best anti-pirate measure ever on probably most games. Personally, I was never going to buy this game simply because Im not interested in the AC series, but if it were a game I liked or looked good to me (BFBC2, Civ5, Starcraft2, Diablo3, MassEffect3 and many other games I cant wait to get my hands on) I probably would have ignored the DRM stuff and just went ahead and bought it. This new system may not sound well at all now, just like steam sounded like crap to many people a few years back; and Ubisoft will probably have to change some aspects of it (losing your progress if you lose your connection...), but like I said before, only time will tell.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]The funny thing is... even if it did cut down on piracy and save them sales... i would think the amount of sales they'd lose by implementing this strict of DRM would far outweigh that. They really suck at economics.DanielDust

maybe being released 8 months later priced at $60 has something do with it... not everyone is a pc only gamer so most people who wanted to play it proabably did so on there consoles. Assuming this really is hack proof it would be a more accurate comparasion to compare sales if it was released at the same time as consoles.