Nvidia Shield - Really, who's going to buy this thing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

What is Nvidia smoking?

I love the concept behind Shield, especially its ability to stream PC games. But $350 is a lot of money - especially for an Android device that is unwieldy as anything other than a pure gaming device. If it were $250 or less, I would consider getting one, but given that you need a 600-series GPU from Nvidia to even take advantage of the streaming, you have lost a lot of the PC gaming market right there. I'm still running a GTX 560 Ti, for example, and I would buy a new graphics card before I get one of these things. 

Nvidia should have allowed any Android device to use their streaming technology from Nvidia GPUs... but no... They had to make everything proprietary, and charge people an arm and a leg for it. I hope that whoever greenlighted this project at Nvidia gets fired - this isn't what PC gaming needs right now. 

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Nvidia should have allowed any Android device to use their streaming technology from Nvidia GPUs... but no... They had to make everything proprietary, and charge people an arm and a leg for it. I hope that whoever greenlighted this project at Nvidia gets fired - this isn't what PC gaming needs right now. 

The_Capitalist

Did you ever stop to think that they integrated technology into Tegra 4 and GTX 600+  to handle the fast encoding and decoding over wi-fi networks that's required for an insanely good video stream? This ain't what PC gaming needs? PC is all about options. It's an optional product that in no way is needed for anything. It's for those who might want an Android tablet and they throw in some unique features to make it appealing and stand out in the crowd, such as physical controls (because touchscreen only is f*cking awful) and the PC streaming.

Wish people would stop getting so anal over things they never planned to buy in the first place and act as if everything needs to cater to them only.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

The reason that the game streaming tech couldn't ever be just applied across the board to any android device is that 90%+ of any games besides mobile-specific games would be damn near impossible, if not actually impossible, to control with a touch screen. So there's that. Expecting them to just make that some universal feature for android is beyond asinine. The shield has a gamepad, designed to replicate a 360 controller, which  does  work for the vast majority of PC games.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
nobody... thats the joke. hahaha @ nvidia.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Not me.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
I think it's gonna flop worse than the n-gage.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
So it's like a Nintendo DS? or a Sony PSP? If so, I don't see the issue. I wouldn't personally buy it cause I rarely game mobile, but heaps of people do so I could see them using it.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I hope this doesn't sink them. :( I can't see myself buying this thing, and I own every handheld device and console, except for an Xbox.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

smartphonegamecontroller.jpg

:lol:

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Bikouchu35

Winning.

ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

nvidia shield - shielding nerds' virginity 4ever....

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I'm not buying it.

It's a gimmick and I have no idea why Nvidia is doing this...

Allack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Allack
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Chips Challenge Spiritual Successor Announced: Chucks Challenge 3D For Nvidia Shield http://www.ggsgamer.com/2013/05/15/chips-challenge-spiritual-successor-announced-chucks-challenge-3d/
Phelaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Phelaidar
Member since 2005 • 1533 Posts
It will flop. It's an expensive android device which you can play pc games IF you are at your house, with good wi-fi connection and your computer turned on. This is so useless... If you have the pc to play those games and money to buy shield, chances are you have a great monitor and sound system. WHY IN THE HELL would you play it at home on a handheld device?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="Phelaidar"]It will flop. It's an expensive android device which you can play pc games IF you are at your house, with good wi-fi connection and your computer turned on. This is so useless... If you have the pc to play those games and money to buy shield, chances are you have a great monitor and sound system. WHY IN THE HELL would you play it at home on a handheld device?

For the man who has everything and doesn't want to pause his game when he drops a deuce. Only scenario I can imagine.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

:lol:

Bikouchu35

Now if they can get the stupid batteries in the phones lasting a lot longer life..Id be ok with gaming on the go..Freakin batteries are a joke at this point..This really needs to change in order for the phones to be serious for gaming on the go..It drains batteries so quick..I like the attatchment for the phone though..See your using a galaxy love mind lol..

Avatar image for looseyourself87
looseyourself87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 looseyourself87
Member since 2004 • 307 Posts
I dont see the point...not gettin it.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Now if they can get the stupid batteries in the phones lasting a lot longer life..Id be ok with gaming on the go..Freakin batteries are a joke at this point..This really needs to change in order for the phones to be serious for gaming on the go..It drains batteries so quick..I like the attatchment for the phone though..See your using a galaxy love mind lol..

Gladestone1

Yeah, the battery does suck, esp. a smartphone is suppose to be all in one, so if it dies you are screwed as in you can't call, text, the basics as oppose to a regular gaming device which matters less if it dies. Sadly I don't have a galaxy or android which the gameklip thing only supports and not iphone, I already got it to work, but their website insist is not compatible so they don't carry any I think.