Now a deccent time to get into pc gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts

So I worked very hard over the holidays with my small spare time from college working (lol) and for the first time ever have a nice amount of money.

Im bored of consoles and have always got into and played pc games for longer dunno why. My PC sucks so basically would now be a good time to invest into a good pc for pc gaming? or should I wait.

thank you.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Well you could wait for nVIDIA to release Fermi which should drive down the price of ATI's 5xxx series cards. Otherwise its not a bad time to buy a new comp at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts

Well you could wait for nVIDIA to release Fermi which should drive down the price of ATI's 5xxx series cards. Otherwise its not a bad time to buy a new comp at all.

Tezcatlipoca666
How long is that? Because I've been thinking of upgrading to a 5770.
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

ZuluEcho14

Nvidia's Fermi cards are coming out in March and this is basically do or die for Nvidia.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
[QUOTE="ZuluEcho14"][QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

UltimateGamer95

Nvidia's Fermi cards are coming out in March and this is basically do or die for Nvidia.

I wouldn't say that. NVIDIA's Tegra chips are really taking off. They've already taken orders for millions of chips.
ironman388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ironman388
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

[QUOTE="ZuluEcho14"][QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

UltimateGamer95

even if they suck (which i hope they dont) the prices of ati will drop a lot due to nvidia releasing their new cards so you can save yourself a lot of cash if you wait until the end of quarter one (which i think ends in february or march)

UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UltimateGamer95

So I worked very hard over the holidays with my small spare time from college working (lol) and for the first time ever have a nice amount of money.

Im bored of consoles and have always got into and played pc games for longer dunno why. My PC sucks so basically would now be a good time to invest into a good pc for pc gaming? or should I wait.

thank you.

scotty992
Invest in a Good PC now and trust me you won't regret it :). Depending on how much money you have I can build you a nice kickass gaming PC :). So PM me if you'd be interested in having me build you a PC :).
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UltimateGamer95
[QUOTE="Einhanderkiller"][QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"][QUOTE="ZuluEcho14"] How long is that? Because I've been thinking of upgrading to a 5770.

I wouldn't say that. NVIDIA's Tegra chips are really taking off. They've already taken orders for millions of chips.

True but I can't say Nvidia's image has been great over the past year or so. I mean with all that rebranding. Now of course I have nothing against Nvidia since I've been using Nvidia cards even since I built my first gaming rig back in 2004. I'm currently using ATI until I'm confident the old Nvidia that I know and love returns. In fact I believe that Nvidia's most revolutionary cards were the Geforce 8 series such as the 8800 GTX although the The GT200 series has definitely captured my attention as well.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
You picked the worst time to get back to pc gaming, nowadays all multiplatform games are 90% console focused and the pc version is quick cheap ass ports with random issues!!! Also you said that your pc sucks? Well thats even worse because game developers think everyone has super rigs and they give some prettty insane requirements like everyone has a monster rig, i can understand the the ports perfom bad because they ports, but the pc exclusives are optimized even worse!!! To play games on pc nowadays you gonna need a powerfull rig and alot of patience to get past the porting problems you might experiance in various game, so one way or the other, at some games it would be bettter to play on consoles when you will have no control or framerate issues for the most of the time!! If that what you meant by "get into pc gaming" if thats not it and you are aiming at pc dedicated genres like rpgs an rts, then welcome aboard ;)
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
how good is your current PC? I recently made a hefty upgrade, but all of the games I've been playing (and even flat-out buying) are classics and older, less-demanding games. I can't even say that there are new or upcoming games on the PC OR consoles that are interesting to me... except Bayonetta, but you'd probably have access to that if you have a console. you can afford to wait for newer graphics card releases in this year, or the inevitable price drops to older cards.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Wait till March.

Nvidia's new card & Intel's I9.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

sweetie, its ALWAYS a goooooood time to get into PC gaming. Mmmmmmm-hmmmmm

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

to OP..

like there was ever a BAD TIME to get into pc gaming?? LOL

nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts
As good as time as any. Dive in, the water's great. 8)
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Wait till March.

sleepingzzz
O yea the i9s will be so cheap. Everyone will jump on those.
fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts

mrbojangles25

This.

Awwwww yeeaahhhh.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

You picked the worst time to get back to pc gaming, nowadays all multiplatform games are 90% console focused and the pc version is quick cheap ass ports with random issues!!! Also you said that your pc sucks? Well thats even worse because game developers think everyone has super rigs and they give some prettty insane requirements like everyone has a monster rig, i can understand the the ports perfom bad because they ports, but the pc exclusives are optimized even worse!!! To play games on pc nowadays you gonna need a powerfull rig and alot of patience to get past the porting problems you might experiance in various game, so one way or the other, at some games it would be bettter to play on consoles when you will have no control or framerate issues for the most of the time!! If that what you meant by "get into pc gaming" if thats not it and you are aiming at pc dedicated genres like rpgs an rts, then welcome aboard ;)dakan45

This. The market has shifted to console focus and PC gaming has suffered a lot as a result. Just about every game these days is optimized absolutely terribly. Like Dakan45 said, developers assume that everyone has a monster rig and thus don't bother to optimize. The sad truth is that the only real reason to buy expensive PC hardware these days is to have the processing power needed to brute force through all that shoddy optimization. If developers actually took time to code their games well even a three year old machine could run most games maxed out at 60+ FPS.

To see what I mean, download a demo of UT3. The game is gorgeous and yet is very easy on system requirements even when maxed out. Now compare that to, say, Dragon's Age: Origins which looks nowhere near as good yet runs far worse even when not maxed out.

Also, something that Dakan45 didn't mention is that a lot of the PC's staple genres have died over the past decade. Genres like flight simulation and adventure games are all but dead these days (especially adventure games). TBS games are also getting to be pretty rare. Really the only niche genres the PC has left are the RTS and MMORPG genres. While the FPS genre is obviously alive and kicking, the only thing PCs have over consoles these days for FPS games are dedicated servers, mouse/keyboard controls, and better graphics. However, some people prefer the centralized set-up of XBL over dedicated servers, mouse/keyboard controls are really a very trivial matter, and the graphics advantage that PCs have over consoles is relatively trivial these days thanks to the fact that console versions are what developers make first with the PC version being an afterthought.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
^^Finally someone who agrees, also its pretty sad to see that in some games, there are no keyboard buttons appearing on the screen, instead you see either x360 buttons or other signs of direct porting from consoles without giving a damn about the quality of the pc version, if that was not enough, there is also broken mouse aiming and they DO feeel up those cheap ports with DRM, hell even the dlcs sometimes, seriously, what the hell? No quality control for the pc titles?
Dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dystonym
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

Wait till March.

millerlight89

Think before you post. If the i9 is released, it'll drive the prices of everything below it down.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

Wait till March.

Dystonym

Think before you post. If the i9 is released, it'll drive the prices of everything below it down.

Exactly. which means he still should wait till march.... better prices for everything, no?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

fudgeblood

This.

Awwwww yeeaahhhh.

sorry :oops:

just got done watching Cooking with the Neelys for the first time (Food Network). Gotta love that down south charm, even if they milk it :P

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts

[QUOTE="fudgeblood"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

mrbojangles25

This.

Awwwww yeeaahhhh.

sorry :oops:

just got done watching Cooking with the Neelys for the first time (Food Network). Gotta love that down south charm, even if they milk it :P

Aww, I thought you were trying to be one of those sexual black guys. :P