No sound from PC. Motherboard fried? (Solved)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It looks like I've come into some bad luck. What seemed to be a working Asus Xonar DG for a while, with occasional series of it not being detected here and there.. I came home last night to no sound from my PC.

I've tried using Onboard Sound again to no avail. I've checked everything from the mute button, to volume levels, disabling/enabling onboard sound in BIOS, installing/uninstalling drivers.

I'm using an AMD Asus motherboard and it comes with the VIA HD audio driver, so I am guessing I have no choice but to use those, correct? Well, those do not work either.

I've tried using headphone and speakers, both functional and working properly. Still no sound.

I was just playing video games yesterday and listening to music just fine, no issues. So, is my motherboard sound chip dead? I just want to make sure I rule out everything before I buy a new CPU and Mobo. I'll be switching to Intel CPU/Mobo this time because I just don't want to deal with VIA audio any more.

I also did a clean Windows Install, and that didn't solve the problem.

End of the road for me?

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
What seemed to be a working Asus Xonar DGElann2008
So you have a Xonar DG card beside your integrated chip? And both seem "dead"? Edit* Never mind I read it wrong at first. That's really weird, you have tried most things I would think of... But the Xonar card should still work even if the integrated chip has given in. Do you have another PCI slot to try it in? Also, could you tell exactly what mobo and speakers you got.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
It's a VIA problem I have the same issue on my AMD board, Windows doesn't know what it is, The motherboard drivers doesn't know what it is and even VIA's own drivers don't know what it is. Just a crappy solution AMD board vendors are doing on their boards. I ended up putting a old sound blaster in which worked surprisingly under Windows 7.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]What seemed to be a working Asus Xonar DGspittis
So you have a Xonar DG card beside your integrated chip? And both seem "dead"? Edit* Never mind I read it wrong at first. That's really weird, you have tried most things I would think of... But the Xonar card should still work even if the integrated chip has given in. Do you have another PCI slot to try it in? Also, could you tell exactly what mobo and speakers you got.

I only have one PCI slot. :( It's an Asus M4N98TD EVO, amd motherboard.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Elann2008
It's a VIA problem I have the same issue on my AMD board, Windows doesn't know what it is, The motherboard drivers doesn't know what it is and even VIA's own drivers don't know what it is. Just a crappy solution AMD board vendors are doing on their boards. I ended up putting a old sound blaster in which worked surprisingly under Windows 7. xXDrPainXx
What would you recommend I do at this point? Buy a new motherboard?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Elann2008
Do you reckon I try a new soundcard before I do anything else? I just find it extremely odd that the onboard doesn't work. If the dedicated soundcard doesn't work then at least the onboard should work properly. I will buy a new soundcard tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, then i guess we know what the problem is - the motherboard. Note: I was able to install the Asus Xonar DG audio driver this time. It took me through the setup like it completed and at the very end of it it says "please insert audio device." This never happened to me before with this sound card installation.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Totally up to you on whether to buy a new sound card or a different motherboard. Either jam more things into the board or buy a new board and hopefully buy one that doesn't have VIA HD crap audio.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elann2008
Totally up to you on whether to buy a new sound card or a different motherboard. Either jam more things into the board or buy a new board and hopefully buy one that doesn't have VIA HD crap audio. xXDrPainXx
I think you're right. How did you manage to install that older sound card though? I wonder. I just talked to a co-worker and he's going to test out my Asus Xonar DG in his PC to see if it's my card that went kapoot. If the Asus Xonar DG is fine, I'll go ahead and buy a new motherboard, and one without VIA HD audio. I might even go Intel this time and get a whole new CPU/Mobo. The thing that bugs me most is that the damn onboard doesn't work at all. When I first put together this rig, I had no issues setting it up.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Elann2008

THank you so much for your help DrPain and Spittis. I really appreciate you coming back to check on my status. :)