Next-gen consoles will struggle to beat PC, say industry insiders. PCGamer

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/next-gen-consoles-will-struggle-to-beat-pc-say-industry-insiders/

Is PC starting winning the war ?:twisted:

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

But But But Teh PC Gaming is DYING! :lol:

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
If this is news, then I am from the future! Derp @ industry insiders.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Lol. Industry insiders say that, eh? What geniuses. Next-gen consoles have always struggled to even compete with PCs, and have never "beat" them.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

PC should always be the platform with the greatest potential for polygons.

Mareczek99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Mareczek99
Member since 2006 • 357 Posts

My point of view on the subject is that consoles will never beat PC's in terms of power/performance, because consoles are computers, build specifically for gaming.

They may beat PC's in terms of popularity, as gaming devices and have a whole lot more developers creating games for them and they might have beat my or your PC's in the pastbut let's be honest there was no point, when let's say PS2 or PS3 did beat computers in general, because there's constanly new hardware developed. How could consoles had better hardware, when it's creators (Intel/AMD/Nvidia) make money by manufacturing and selling it?

It would be like "yeah, we can make a ton of money for selling our CPU/GPU's as parts but nah, let's give Your product a head start, just for the fun of it."

I may be wrong but I see no sence in it otherwise.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

When a next gen console releases you have 2 options. You can

a) shell out hundreds of dollars on a platform with 1 or 2 games on it or

b) shell out hundreds of dollars on a platform with thousands of games availible for it

I wouldn't mind buying a console that's been out for a while but buying them at launch is either for the dim witted or the rich.

As for the graphics issue - it really doesn't matter to me at all. What's most important is not necessarily the hardware but rather the games that are availible on it.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

First off I don't think the 360 and PS3 were that far ahead if they were ahead at all of what computers at the time could do but secondly did that idiot from Crytek call memory expensive ? I can buy 16GB of RAM for under $100 much of the time. it's as cheap as it has been in years.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

First off I don't think the 360 and PS3 were that far ahead if they were ahead at all of what computers at the time could doPublicNuisance
They weren't, but consoles can undersell PCs in price/performance because the developers will make that money back easily with the 10% fee for every game sold. That's especially true when both competetors are content holding onto that dated technology for so long and charge for online services littered with advertisements.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

While yes, PCs have always been more powerful over the lifetime of each console, does PC gaming sales overwhelm console gaming sales enough for consoles to start worrying. I seriously doubt it. While there may be more people pushed to PC gaming as consoles are becoming more "casual" - PC gaming is an expensive hobby that not all gamers can afford. Granted, with DD, we get awesome deals on the software, but there's a pretty big startup cost that many people shun away from.

I just don't want anyone thinking that consoles are on the way out because of this article.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

While yes, PCs have always been more powerful over the lifetime of each console, does PC gaming sales overwhelm console gaming sales enough for consoles to start worrying. I seriously doubt it. While there may be more people pushed to PC gaming as consoles are becoming more "casual" - PC gaming is an expensive hobby that not all gamers can afford. Granted, with DD, we get awesome deals on the software, but there's a pretty big startup cost that many people shun away from.

I just don't want anyone thinking that consoles are on the way out because of this article.

Cwagmire21
A good PC ( That will beat consoles ) is rally not that much more expensive. The initial start up cost of a decent PC , while maybe 2 X that of a top of the line console, pays off in the end. It does everything a console does...only better. Mods alone easily justify the extra cost. Not to mention the lower cost of games closes that difference to 0 in a couple of years. And Steam and other DD site sales....golden ! I agree consoles are not going anywhere nor should they. I just believe that people should be more well informed about cost difference vs the end worth. What are you getting for your money? Really ? Just look at the performance of the X-Box 360 and PS3 vs PC on a recently released game...don't want to start a war so I won't mention the name...don't want anyone to Cry. I'm just hoping the new consoles will raise the bar on future console ports we get. FYI...I have nothing against consoles or console players...I'm not a PC elitist. I just like my PC.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

This really isn't news I can't see next gen consoles coming close to current PC hardware.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Isnt console hardware always DOA when comparing them to the current PC hardware of the moment? Why is this news.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

they wont be able to 60 fps and 1080p, they already lost to 5 year old pcs

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Krelian-co
really? or are you speculating.
Mareczek99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Mareczek99
Member since 2006 • 357 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

OgreB

A good PC ( That will beat consoles ) is rally not that much more expensive. The initial start up cost of a decent PC , while maybe 2 X that of a top of the line console, pays off in the end. It does everything a console does...only better. Mods alone easily justify the extra cost. Not to mention the lower cost of games closes that difference to 0 in a couple of years. And Steam and other DD site sales....golden ! I agree consoles are not going anywhere nor should they. I just believe that people should be more well informed about cost difference vs the end worth. What are you getting for your money? Really ? Just look at the performance of the X-Box 360 and PS3 vs PC on a recently released game...don't want to start a war so I won't mention the name...don't want anyone to Cry. I'm just hoping the new consoles will raise the bar on future console ports we get. FYI...I have nothing against consoles or console players...I'm not a PC elitist. I just like my PC.

Totally agree, I built my PC with brand new parts for like 400 USD and it runs generally everything I want at 1366x768, which already is higher than current gen consoles with medium-high details, which confirms that PC's are not a really more expencive alternative.

I think consoles are for people, who don't want to bother building/configuring/maintaining/tuning anything, they just want to plug it to a TV and have fun, which is a good thing to be honest.

When it comes to PC gaming it's more like a hobby to build Your own machine with the budget You can spend and see what can it do or what can You tune or replace to make it even better. I seriously don't understand people buying PC's specially for gaming without any knowledge or even the will to learn how they work or what needs to be done to make them work like they want, when they can buy a console for the basically the same price which will do the same exact thing.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="OgreB"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Mareczek99

Totally agree, I built my PC with brand new parts for like 400 USD and it runs generally everything I want at 1366x768, which already is higher than current gen consoles with medium-high details, which confirms that PC's are not a really more expencive alternative.

I think consoles are for people, who don't want to bother building/configuring/maintaining/tuning anything, they just want to plug it to a TV and have fun, which is a good thing to be honest.

When it comes to PC gaming it's more like a hobby to build Your own machine with the budget You can spend and see what can it do or what can You tune or replace to make it even better. I seriously don't understand people buying PC's specially for gaming without any knowledge or even the will to learn how they work or what needs to be done to make them work like they want, when they can buy a console for the basically the same price which will do the same exact thing.

I think you're kinda inadvertantly proving my point. :P

We gotta remember that the PC gaming GS forums do not represent the entire gaming community while you (and I) enjoy building our own PCs and enjoying these games at their maximum quality; there are a lot of people out there that just want to plug it in and play.

But you are right when you add it all up; PC gaming isn't much more expensive than console gaming, but it's perspective. The big console companies purposefully sell their hardware at cost (or close to that) just to make it not as "painful" for gamers to invest in that console. They have them though once they sell the hardware because people don't hold onto their $50-60 for games nearly as tightly as they do the $300 for the console - let alone what people spend on their PCs...

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

bonafidetk

its confirmed they wont run at 60 fps wish i wasnt as lazy to look for the source

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

If this were a few years ago consoles could had a chance, but nowadays, it looks as if consoles won't come close to the best PC next gen either.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"][QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Krelian-co

its confirmed they wont run at 60 fps wish i wasnt as lazy to look for the source

It's not confirmed. It was Carmack stating the obvious that most consoles games will be 30fps instead of 60fps. But your initial comment about a 5 year old PC is wrong.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Its all rumors but I think the consoles will be around gtx 680 in power.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

slipknot0129
not this guy again :roll:
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

04dcarraher
not this guy again :roll:

he never learns.
erazor51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 erazor51
Member since 2003 • 339 Posts

slipknot0129

LMAO, HAHAHA!

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

slipknot0129
lololol, behave
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

I don´t get why everyone is saying PC gaming is an expensive hobby. It´s not.

Even if you spend like 1000$ for a gaming pc, you will get your money back with cheeper games. I mean on what other platforms you may get bundles of games for 1-5 bucks and obtain some games even for free.

During Amazon and Steam sales, a PC gamer can get a ton of games for 60 bucks and play them for an entire year untill the next sales event. While Consolers buy their game spending 60 bucks a title. In the end, if you want to have a game per month on console, you will spend some 600$ a year.

Look at PC. The games such as Hitman Absolution costs 20$ on Amazon one month after release. Basically all games are in bargin bin at the end of the year.

PC gamers don´t need to wait Black Friday to be able to buy a huge amount of games.

Yeh. Consolers may get their game quite cheep if they buy them on EBAY used. But even then their prices don´t get even close to Steam and Amazon sales.

I don´t speak about companies such as Nintento which amost never lower its prices. Besides that stuff only works for USA citizens, in my country, I will have to pay taxes on imported goods (Try to prove the custom officer that the EBAY-bought game is used) and delivery tarifs.

All this console gaming is a corporative trick. The guys sell you a console bloody cheap but then charge for most essential part of gaming: games.

PC Gaming.

1000$ a gaming PC that will last like 3 years at least playing everything

120$ for that amout you will get a huge Steam/GOG/Amazon/etc gaming library. Some 30 titles. Not bad to pass the year untill the next Steam sale.

=

1120$ this number may be very much lower

Console Gaming

500-600$ (I will not take into acoount WiiU becuase this stuff is obsolete already)

60$ a recent title * 12 month = 720$ if you want to play one title per month at least. And if you buy a Nextgen console, you will basically have no choice, because every game will be too new to get it cheeper.

=

1220-1320$ for much less quality and shrinked game library.

As you see, Microsoft and Sony are not any fools. The house always wins at the end.

They make you pay in installments.

In case of PC gaming you pay out the bulk of the money at once.

Consoles companies, instead, make you bleed out gradually selling you products of lower quality at the end.

PC gaming is about freedom. You build your PC as expensive as you want, you pay for your games as much as you want (buying a title at launch or waiting a few month to get it bloody cheep).

s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
Struggling to beat is better than being 'no match' for PC..
ZetA_LatA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZetA_LatA
Member since 2012 • 114 Posts

The console of the future will inevitably become a pc. That fact is already apparent with the inclusion of web browsers, applications for certain websites, voice/video chat, and a slew of other features on consoles that have been on the pc for years.

The flaw of the future console (an obviously short-sighted opinion as I can't predict what the future will hold) is that they are in essence going to be budget computers for the average consumer that wrap a number of so-so attractions in a well marketed package. However, unlike the pc, they'll lock out much of the user created content and maintain absurd pricing concerning their games and services which are among my biggest qualms with the console manufacturers.

The parts many of us have in our computers at this time will likely beat out the next gen with ease. Hopefully more people will begin to realize that the grass is greener on the other side and nowhere near as expensive or difficult as they think.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SaltyMeatballs

The console of the future will inevitably become a pc. That fact is already apparent with the inclusion of web browsers, applications for certain websites, voice/video chat, and a slew of other features on consoles that have been on the pc for years.

The flaw of the future console (an obviously short-sighted opinion as I can't predict what the future will hold) is that they are in essence going to be budget computers for the average consumer that wrap a number of so-so attractions in a well marketed package. However, unlike the pc, they'll lock out much of the user created content and maintain absurd pricing concerning their games and services which are among my biggest qualms with the console manufacturers.

The parts many of us have in our computers at this time will likely beat out the next gen with ease. Hopefully more people will begin to realize that the grass is greener on the other side and nowhere near as expensive or difficult as they think.

ZetA_LatA
It's not so black or white (lush green or light green grass), as long as there continue to be console exclusives then there is a reason to get a console; it's that simple. But I mean, if you want the next big RPG or shooters then yeah, might as well think about getting a good PC.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/next-gen-consoles-will-struggle-to-beat-pc-say-industry-insiders/

Is PC starting winning the war ?:twisted:

jhonMalcovich
Who cares? It amazes me how people still care about the this is system is more powerful then this system so its better garbage, in terms of horse power the pc will always be the king, but it still wont outsell a console in terms of overall sales, coming from PC gamer a pc magazine means nothing at all, it would mean more if it was coming from GI or someone like that.
Benficafan_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Benficafan_101
Member since 2004 • 404 Posts

I disagree completely. Not because I'm pro console or anti-PC. It just makes no sense to assume people will jump ship. Consoles are just easier and you don't have to worry about if your PC can run a new game or not. Its the upgrading that wont ever kill off console gaming. Both provide different things and casual gamers aren't going to shell out nearly 1000$ or more for a great gaming PC when in comparison the differences aren't leaps and bounds different. PC is mroe for the very hardcore ,strategy games and the MMO crowds. You have to be fairly knowledgable when it comes to PC while consoles are just very simple. Nothing wrong with either one and its hard to really say which is better they both serve different expereinces . Why can't we all just enjoy what we own ?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SaltyMeatballs

I disagree completely. Not because I'm pro console or anti-PC. It just makes no sense to assume people will jump ship. Consoles are just easier and you don't have to worry about if your PC can run a new game or not. Its the upgrading that wont ever kill off console gaming. Both provide different things and casual gamers aren't going to shell out nearly 1000$ or more for a great gaming PC when in comparison the differences aren't leaps and bounds different. PC is mroe for the very hardcore ,strategy games and the MMO crowds. You have to be fairly knowledgable when it comes to PC while consoles are just very simple. Nothing wrong with either one and its hard to really say which is better they both serve different expereinces . Why can't we all just enjoy what we own ?

Benficafan_101
Lol, Benfica.
en3sge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 en3sge
Member since 2007 • 321 Posts
I love threads like these. Consoles vs pc etc. Both sides have real passion on neither will ever win. From my perspective though its quite simple. Unless you have a substantially better pc, consoles are usually the way to go. Most games are well optmised for console. There are notable exceptions like dark souls and perhaps one of the ealier cods on the ps3 but generally most games aim for 720p and 30fps and near enough hit it. This creates a key component for playing games - consistency. People may scoff at this but it is very mportant for games to run consistenly. In other words, the frame rate shouldnt wildly vary as this is pretty ugly when the game is in motion. With pcs, getting consistency is really difficult. Very few pc games have the option of running at a locked framerate (eg 30fps) and forcing this with gpu software from evga/msi etc can have varying results. Therefore if u have a gpu that cant quite make 60fps or higher (usually the native of monitors), you get either stuttering, tearing or general jerkiness. Turning the resolution down can be pretty unsightly too as running non--natively doesnt look good up close on pc monitors. On console, 720p on a 1080p screen actually looks ok. The scaling algorithms on modern consoles are exemplary. So yep, buying a £400 - £700 pc will get you far better performance than consoles, but you probably wont appreciate the benefits as you will be stuck in this middling ground between 30 and 60 fps at (quite possibly) a non native resolution with a game quite likely less optimised for the platform than console. So in my opinion to get the most out of a pc you need to go high end or nothing. Then and only then will you get a truly better experience.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

slipknot0129
It would be history repeating itself actually. 360 was quite close in performance to the 6800 ultra which was the top card a year and a half before the 360 launched. Problem now is that the cards have gotten too big, too power hungry and too hot for these little consoles.
RizziSmoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RizziSmoov
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
If the pc leading the market is true then it will take a bloody long time because if console versions of games continue sell 2x or more than their pc counterparts then these companies aren't going to give a damn what a few thousand people do per year (though with this generation being abnormally long, that will happen just a tad faster). The most we can do is hope for good ports and endure the incoming wave of predatory shallow-as-hell free to play games coming from your friendly neighbourhood publisher who isn't Korean and experienced their first raging hard-on when they saw League of Legend's numbers until quality games and quality pc versions get the sales they deserve.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

Cranler

It would be history repeating itself actually. 360 was quite close in performance to the 6800 ultra which was the top card a year and a half before the 360 launched. Problem now is that the cards have gotten too big, too power hungry and too hot for these little consoles.

Gpu's have got better cooling since back then. Computers have been getting smaller too. Theres no reason the consoles cant be as powerful as a gtx 680. By the time Xbox 720 is launched the gtx 680 will be a mid to low end part.

Plus cpu's are much more power efficient too. If they dont use a igp then that cpu uses so little power. Igp's is where a lot of the power in a cpu goes to nowadays.

If the cpu has a igp in it then it will be even easier for the system to have graphics as powerful as a gtx 680. The main gpu would use less energy due to there being another gpu in the cpu. This would allow for more watts for graphics due to the heat being more spread out.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

slipknot0129

Gpu's have got better cooling since back then. Computers have been getting smaller too. Theres no reason the consoles cant be as powerful as a gtx 680. By the time Xbox 720 is launched the gtx 680 will be a mid to low end part.

Plus cpu's are much more power efficient too. If they dont use a igp then that cpu uses so little power. Igp's is where a lot of the power in a cpu goes to nowadays.

If the cpu has a igp in it then it will be even easier for the system to have graphics as powerful as a gtx 680. The main gpu would use less energy due to there being another gpu in the cpu. This would allow for more watts for graphics due to the heat being more spread out.

GTX 680 - mid to low end part christmas 2013. You heard it here first..............
Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
I'm fine with having a gaming PC and a console, I just use my PC to play more though
Ocid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ocid1
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] It would be history repeating itself actually. 360 was quite close in performance to the 6800 ultra which was the top card a year and a half before the 360 launched. Problem now is that the cards have gotten too big, too power hungry and too hot for these little consoles. darksusperia

GTX 680 - mid to low end part christmas 2013. You heard it here first..............

Lol. Better save that new build till next christmas.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] That [QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

darksusperia

Top of the line pc's are bigger than ever since top end gpu's are bigger than ever. All sources indicate the nextbox will launch in Nov 2013. Roughly a year and a half after the launch of the gtx 680. Since when has cutting edge gpu become a mid to low end part after a year and a half? I wouldnt even consider the 480 a mid to low end gpu and thats 2 and a half years old.

I would love for it to have that kind of power, the better the consoles the better ports pc gets, but i doubt it.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Well, that's a no-brainer.

It's incredible though that some people still in this day and age don't get that PCs do everything brilliantly. In addition to being superior by design, the only way PC gaming can be seen as expensive is if you don't have a PC in the first place. Uh, ok. So you really don't have a PC?

What's expensive is buying a whole new laptop with intervals of 2-3 (?) years, and new consoles and console games at ridiculous prices. Since I know that that's what many people do who bash PC gaming for being costly, I can only conclude that they lack perspective, or want gaming - and apparently PC gaming specifically - to be expensive, for whatever reasons.

And gamers who are concerned about holding on to a PC because of some silly preconceived notions about it being nerdy, uncool or whatever, and who think more about what kind of technological gadgetry will attract the chicks are better off looking for a new hobby - seriously.

Edit: Happy holidays, PC- and console gamers alike, by the way!

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Lol. Industry insiders say that, eh? What geniuses. Next-gen consoles have always struggled to even compete with PCs, and have never "beat" them.

the_bi99man
Indeed as it stands they are stagnated Hardware upon release. Unless they bring around an upgrading aspect to consoles then they will never ever compete. That upgrading aspect will defeat the purpose of a console anyhow in most cases. Silly pointless prediction even a lay man myself can make. Industry experts....
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Krelian-co

slipknot0129

oh god the things you read in these forums LOL

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

jwsoul

Indeed as it stands they are stagnated Hardware upon release. Unless they bring around an upgrading aspect to consoles then they will never ever compete. That upgrading aspect will defeat the purpose of a console anyhow in most cases. Silly pointless prediction even a lay man myself can make. Industry experts....

Yeah they can't start making consoles upgradeable. That would completely defeat the purpose. It really has just recently started to become a big issue because, not only is PC hardware advancing faster than ever, but the current consoles are just too old. They've been around without replacements longer than any other previous generations of consoles. Especially now, 6-7 (maybe even more) years is way too long to go without an upgrade. What the console makers need to do, is go back to putting out new consoles faster. Stop milking consoles with countless "hardware revisions", or adding more peripherals that real gamers hardly ever use. Just make a significant upgrade, and start selling a new console every 4 years, maybe 5 at the most.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

b) shell out hundreds of dollars on a platform with thousands of games availible for it

I wouldn't mind buying a console that's been out for a while but buying them at launch is either for the dim witted or the rich.

As for the graphics issue - it really doesn't matter to me at all. What's most important is not necessarily the hardware but rather the games that are availible on it.

darktruth007
You have to be rich or dim witted to buy a $500 console on lunch day (ha) I do not think so sir. The problem is your money mangement sucks and you cant save the $500. If i want a game that looks awsome on nexed gen i will have no probelm droping $500 or more need be. but i like having fun on the way to death
Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts
[QUOTE="darktruth007"]

Addict187
You have to be rich or dim witted to buy a $500 console on lunch day (ha) I do not think so sir. The problem is your money mangement sucks and you cant save the $500. If i want a game that looks awsome on nexed gen i will have no probelm droping $500 or more need be. but i like having fun on the way to death

I got to play halo 4 the other day it i was like wow they can make games look that good now. were in for a treat nexed gen.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 the_bi99man

I got to play halo 4 the other day it i was like wow they can make games look that good now.Addict187

That was seriously your reaction? Haven't play games on a competent PC in a few years, have you?

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
I'm fine with having a gaming PC and a console, I just use my PC to play more thoughSweetbackhair
Same here.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Regardless of what happens next gen, i'm sinking my hard earned cash into my PC. I may pick up the consoles depending on their exclusive list of games, otherwise there's no point at all.

Lol @ the insiders. My dog could tell you the PC rips the consoles a new a$$hole. PC gaming for life ;)