New TV solely for Xbox gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

respected1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 respected1989
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hi Everyone, I'm looking to buy a new TV solely for gaming. I currently use a Panasonic 42" plasma but want to move my xbox to my bedroom. I was going to buy a 32" LCD or LED but then thought why not just buy a computer monitor to save on cost. I've been told that refresh rate is very important since I mainly play FPS. I am thinking of buying the; ASUS VE247H 24 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p Support with HDMI 2ms Response Time http://www.amazon.co.uk/VE247H-Widescreen-Response-Intelligence-Technology/dp/B004T2LMP2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC ie=UTF8&colid=1HVE8936YWETL&coliid=I2SRLWNIAK6Z0P What are your thoughts on this? Also are there any other features that I should be concerned about for gaming? Any other advice on alternative options would be much appreciated. Many Thanks
DryBomber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 DryBomber5
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts

I have a similar one except it's 25" but yeah this seems like an ideal monitor for FPS gaming and just gaming in general. Just know that this is a TN panel (not an IPS panel) so the image quality might not be as high as you expected it to be. IPS panels may be good for "casual gamers" but if you're a competitive gamer, then I would highly recommend a TN panel over an IPS panel. IPS panels may "look better" but they usually have slow response times and ghosting. I'm only making you aware because I guarantee someone is going to respond to this thread and tell you to buy an IPS panel instead.

This is the one I have:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236123&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Monitors%20-%20LCD%20Flat%20Panel-_-ASUS-_-24236123&gclid=CMS9l7vIoLkCFcee4Aodhk0AIg&gclid=CMS9l7vIoLkCFcee4Aodhk0AIg

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Response times, refresh rates and input lag aren't that important for console gaming.

Either way, asus make good monitors and i'm sure you'll be happy with it.

MJS88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MJS88
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

I was in the same boat as you literally last week, except I was after a 42". Therefore this should interest you.

I replaced an old Samsung 32" LCD which was the first Samsung model to have HDMI built in (2006) and the reponse time was noticeably bad on CoD but luckily it had a Game Mode which improved things. I have an LG IPS 23" monitor for my PC which looks incredible but the TV model from LG which I thought would be a good addition is a notoriously bad panel for input lag.

What I found is the run away best for gaming for 2013 is the Sony Bravia 'KDL' series. I got this one: http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl42w653a/sony-kdl42w653abu

Reviews showed that with Game Mode enabled, it has the lowest input lag (14ms) of pretty much all LED panels. It has no 3D (which is good for me because I think 3D is rubbish but it's a gimmick I'd end up spending money on for no reason if it was there), has a great interface, built in Freeview HD and WiFi and good 'Smart TV' features. I happened to get a Sony AV receiver at Christmas and it all integrates perfectly. It also looks very neat, black levels are great.

Here's the KDL range but in 32": http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl32r423a-and-nszgs7/sony-kdl32r423-nszgs

I highly recommend it. All I use my TV for mainly is Xbox gaming so this should be right up your street.

MJS88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MJS88
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
Sorry, I know you were looking at a monitor but if you decide to go back to the idea of a TV then check out some reviews of the Sony KDL range.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I have a similar one except it's 25" but yeah this seems like an ideal monitor for FPS gaming and just gaming in general. Just know that this is a TN panel (not an IPS panel) so the image quality might not be as high as you expected it to be. IPS panels may be good for "casual gamers" but if you're a competitive gamer, then I would highly recommend a TN panel over an IPS panel. IPS panels may "look better" but they usually have slow response times and ghosting. I'm only making you aware because I guarantee someone is going to respond to this thread and tell you to buy an IPS panel instead.

This is the one I have:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236123&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Monitors%20-%20LCD%20Flat%20Panel-_-ASUS-_-24236123&gclid=CMS9l7vIoLkCFcee4Aodhk0AIg&gclid=CMS9l7vIoLkCFcee4Aodhk0AIg

DryBomber5

He's playing on an Xbox, not a PC. Xbox runs games at 20-30 FPS 720p and you play wiht a gamepad. He could run ont he slowest IPS panel ont he planet, and never notice.

TC: IPS is the way to go for color quality, contrast, and viewing angles. If you're only gmaing on an Xbox, don't worry about latency too much, unless you're comparing models at the same price point.

And don't get anything over 1080p, or expect games to look blur, even if you plan on picking up a next gen console.

respected1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 respected1989

[QUOTE="DryBomber5"]

Kinthalis

He's playing on an Xbox, not a PC. Xbox runs games at 20-30 FPS 720p and you play wiht a gamepad. He could run ont he slowest IPS panel ont he planet, and never notice.

TC: IPS is the way to go for color quality, contrast, and viewing angles. If you're only gmaing on an Xbox, don't worry about latency too much, unless you're comparing models at the same price point.

And don't get anything over 1080p, or expect games to look blur, even if you plan on picking up a next gen console.

Thanks for the input guys. :) I'm not knowledgable about TV/computer monitor technology so need all the help I can get. In your opinion then, which one of the following monitors would you choose purely for xbox gaming? Asus VE278H 27 inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/VE278H-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor-DVI-D/dp/B008I9BKWM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Asus VK278Q LCD Monitor 27-inch Widescreen http://www.amazon.co.uk/VK278Q-Monitor-27-inch-Widescreen-Webcam/dp/B0041VDCL8/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377720035&sr=1-6&keywords=computer+monitor LG IPS277L-BN 27 inch Full HD IPS LED Widescreen Monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-IPS277L-BN-Widescreen-Monitor-5000000/dp/B008968O0U/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1377720585&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=LG+IPS277L-BN+27+inch+Full+HD+IPS+LED+Widescreen+Monitor#productDetails Samsung S27B550VS 27 inch Widescreen LED Monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S27B550VS-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B0077L2MD8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Acer S271HLAbid 27 inch Full HD LED Monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S271HLAbid-inch-Monitor-100000000/dp/B007A0HNUI/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377721292&sr=1-18&keywords=computer+monitor BenQ GL2750HM 27 inch Widescreen LED Monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2750HM-Widescreen-Monitor-1920x1080/dp/B005OPLFRI/ref=sr_1_20?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377721292&sr=1-20&keywords=computer+monitor Thanks again
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

[QUOTE="DryBomber5"]

Kinthalis

Eh, no... IPS panels are famous for having abysmal black levels (actually not being capable of rendering black, but instead navy blue). So IPS should be your last resort if you want good contrast. VA-type panels offer the best black levels out of any LCD (obviously no where near plasma/OLED) and other variants like S-PVA, etc, etc. its want Sony/Philips/Samsung and a few others use in their TV range. While for example LG and Panasonic use IPS, which have very poor black levels leading to poor contrast performance. Same applies with monitors. The rest is right though, IPS panels have amazing colour accuracy. 

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kinthalis

The LG IPS panel for sure. It looks like input latency is avarage, but it's a 1080p panel, so it's probably better than my old U2711 2560x1440 IPS 27" panel, and for 60 FPS games, it's decent. So for your xbox, it's going to rock.

You won't be able to beat it int erms of contrast ratio and viewing angles. 

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="DryBomber5"]

Mozelleple112

Eh, no... IPS panels are famous for having abysmal black levels (actually not being capable of rendering black, but instead navy blue). So IPS should be your last resort if you want good contrast. VA-type panels offer the best black levels out of any LCD (obviously no where near plasma/OLED) and other variants like S-PVA, etc, etc. its want Sony/Philips/Samsung and a few others use in their TV range. While for example LG and Panasonic use IPS, which have very poor black levels leading to poor contrast performance. Same applies with monitors. The rest is right though, IPS panels have amazing colour accuracy. 

The black levels aren't as good on a IPS vs a VA, but the VA is NOT anywher enear as good in terms of viewing angles and color shifting. I'd take a decent led area backlit IPS with a semi gloss finish over a VA. But that's really just a preference thing.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
If you're picking up a monitor, definitely pick up an IPS panel. I don't think it can be overstated how much better and more appealing to the eye than a TN panel. The input lag on many of them are pretty good too - with only 120hz panels beating them in latency. IPS panels blacks are actually pretty good (Mozellepie maybe needs to do more research, 0.13 and 0.16 cd/m on average is far from abysmal).
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts
If you're picking up a monitor, definitely pick up an IPS panel. I don't think it can be overstated how much better and more appealing to the eye than a TN panel. The input lag on many of them are pretty good too - with only 120hz panels beating them in latency. IPS panels blacks are actually pretty good (Mozellepie maybe needs to do more research, 0.13 and 0.16 cd/m on average is far from abysmal).Mcspanky37
Eh, maybe it is you that needs to do more research. 0.13 is a fvcking awful black level. a Panasonic ZT60/VT60 has black levels as deep as 0.001cd/m2 or nearly ONE HUNDRED times deeper than that IPS you mentioned. How is being 100 times worse "far from abysmal?" I dare you to find another item that reaches 1% of the performance of the best of its kind and is not considered bad. Another example: budget LCD from 2010, that only cost a few hundred bucks BACK THEN: 0.04cd/m2... Still about 4 times deeper than an IPS on average. Or another example: Pioneer Kuro KRP 500-A from 2008, so five year old technology: 0.003cd/m2 so around 40 times deeper black level... how can you think 0.13 is good when 0.003 was achieved 5 years ago, 0.001 is the milestone of today and and 0.04 was considered low end 3 years ago? Here's yet another example: I sadly don't have EXACT numbers, but CRT tvs from that are more than 10 years old (See: Sony XBR 960, Sony GDM FW900, etc) produced black levels not too far off from what the Kuro was producing (0.003). The list goes on... Its like buying a console in 2013 that has lower resolution than a SNES.. or if a ZT60 is the bugatti of TVs (1200hp) then an ips panel is a 12hp car. Extreme exaggerations aside --- I think you should reconsider your statement.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I have a dell ips monitor in which the contrast actually looks really good surprisngly during the day much better than my samsungs. They actually look black, but ofc. as we know it if you watch/play in a pitch black room than you can see the blacks as being gray. The response time is also feels so-so, but makes it up with color, full gloss(none of that text shimmering with anti-glare), and overall pq.

respected1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 respected1989

The LG IPS panel for sure. It looks like input latency is avarage, but it's a 1080p panel, so it's probably better than my old U2711 2560x1440 IPS 27" panel, and for 60 FPS games, it's decent. So for your xbox, it's going to rock.

Kinthalis
I was thinking of going with that one. My only concern is the higher input lag due to the IPS panel. I'm finding it difficult to actually find how many ms the input latency is for this model. I've looked on a couple of databases but they don't list data for that particular model.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

respected1989
I was thinking of going with that one. My only concern is the higher input lag due to the IPS panel. I'm finding it difficult to actually find how many ms the input latency is for this model. I've looked on a couple of databases but they don't list data for that particular model.

Input lag isn't going to matter for xbox gaming
respected1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 respected1989
[QUOTE="respected1989"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

kraken2109

Could you explain your reasoning why input lag doesn't matter for playing Multiplayer in COD (on xbox). I thought that such an issue would be important to consider so to not be at a disadvantage.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109
[QUOTE="respected1989"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="respected1989"] I was thinking of going with that one. My only concern is the higher input lag due to the IPS panel. I'm finding it difficult to actually find how many ms the input latency is for this model. I've looked on a couple of databases but they don't list data for that particular model.

Could you explain your reasoning why input lag doesn't matter for playing Multiplayer in COD (on xbox). I thought that such an issue would be important to consider so to not be at a disadvantage.

Controllers are not fast paced compared with a mouse.
respected1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 respected1989
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="respected1989"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] Input lag isn't going to matter for xbox gaming

I don't follow your logic. Everyone playing COD online will have the same input lag for their controllers. Therefore, the only difference would be network and display lag. Thus a person playing COD on a monitor with 10ms input lag will be at an advantage to someone who has a display input lag of 50 ms. I'm not trying to be pedantic or intending to challenge you just for the sake of it. I feel its important to provide sound reasoning behind comments so we all can learn something that is correct. Am I missing something with the point I mentioned above?
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="respected1989"] Could you explain your reasoning why input lag doesn't matter for playing Multiplayer in COD (on xbox). I thought that such an issue would be important to consider so to not be at a disadvantage. respected1989

I don't follow your logic. Everyone playing COD online will have the same input lag for their controllers. Therefore, the only difference would be network and display lag. Thus a person playing COD on a monitor with 10ms input lag will be at an advantage to someone who has a display input lag of 50 ms. I'm not trying to be pedantic or intending to challenge you just for the sake of it. I feel its important to provide sound reasoning behind comments so we all can learn something that is correct. Am I missing something with the point I mentioned above?

COD is peer to peer so network lag will be fairly high, rarely below 50ms. Most TVs unless you buy something terrible will have input lag below 15ms.

What i'm saying is there are other factors that negate the need to worry that much about the TV. The gap between frames even at 60fps is 16ms, so you won't have to worry that much about the TV.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

Benq offer a good value 27" with HDMI in and audio out (dont forget the audio out, just whack a set of PC speakers in and u have sound!). I forget the model number but it mentions VA LED on the box.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Benq offer a good value 27" with HDMI in and audio out (dont forget the audio out, just whack a set of PC speakers in and u have sound!). I forget the model number but it mentions VA LED on the box.

kungfool69

It's this one.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

mitu123

It's this one.

thats the one :D at my shop here in australia that benq is $100AU cheaper then samsung and LG and they are The same!!!