This topic is locked from further discussion.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

I don't remember this being the usual updater, It doesn't have the STEAM theme, So is this really new or is it just me?

image1pyg.jpg 

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

I think it's new. Cause I just got one of those as well.

LazyKris_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LazyKris_89
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1749915144362275196

On Windows, this Beta introduces a change to the way that Steam downloads Steam Client updates. This work is done by Steam.exe, which will update when you join this Beta. Youll see a new download progress dialog, which means that Steam is using a new HTTP-based method to get the updates. This method is already used by the OSX and linux versions of the Steam Client. In the long run, this method should be faster and more efficient for everybody.

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
Good, the old updater sucked balls.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 faizan_faizan
Good, the old updater sucked balls.KodiakKoolaid
THIS, It didn't even tell me how much it is downloaded, New Updater does tell me in KBs.
KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
[QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"]Good, the old updater sucked balls.faizan_faizan
THIS, It didn't even tell me how much it is downloaded, New Updater does tell me in KBs.

The old one just refused to update for me, got stuck at like 10% for hours. in the end I had to install a program called TCPviewer to force it to change DL servers.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 faizan_faizan
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="KodiakKoolaid"]Good, the old updater sucked balls.KodiakKoolaid

The old one just refused to update for me, got stuck at like 10% for hours. in the end I had to install a program called TCPviewer to force it to change DL servers.

Same.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#8 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
new one seems better for sure
kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

Change is good, I also noticed that this morning.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

New updater is better, but since a few patches ago the client sucks terribad. Steam usually starts before the PC manages to dial the broadband connection and it gives that retry, start in offline or exit window, if press retry, it exits, if I press offline goes offline then when I press go online it exits, if I press exit it goes into offline mode, even if I terminate the process and start it again, it still gives that warning window after the connection was established for a while...terrible application, they always make a huge improvement when they change the infrastructure of their client then after a while it turns to utter sht, way more unstable than the previous client.

Reinstalling doesn't fix it, skin is default, absolutely no mod, absolutely no clue on how to develop it from Valve.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

New updater is better, but since a few patches ago the client sucks terribad. Steam usually starts before the PC manages to dial the broadband connection and it gives that retry, start in offline or exit window, if press retry, it exits, if I press offline goes offline then when I press go online it exits, if I press exit it goes into offline mode, even if I terminate the process and start it again, it still gives that warning window after the connection was established for a while...terrible application, they always make a huge improvement when they change the infrastructure of their client then after a while it turns to utter sht, way more unstable than the previous client.

Reinstalling doesn't fix it, skin is default, absolutely no mod, absolutely no clue on how to develop it from Valve.

DanielDust
Take it off startup
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust

It's pointless, because as I said, for some reason it does that as a routine even after a connection is present, unless I press something on the notice window I can't get into the client, even after reinstalling, it all started after that guide patch.

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

I was in Minecraft and Steam installer kept pulling me out for updating junk so had to close steam so would stop bothering me. Old updater never bothered me.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
lol its new ya. Dont know what it means but whatever. lol.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Yeah I noticed that too. The update is kinda weird though. Now steam saves your old conversation with a person and puts it in the window in gray font if you start a new one with that person. :/ I'm not sure why that is needed at all...

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
saves your old conversations very nice
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]saves your old conversations very nice

Yeah they added a limited history and offline messages a few updates ago, surprised they didn't advertise these features, that Steam's community asked for several years, on the entire internet.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#18 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
It needs some work. First time they rolled it out it corrupted my Steam directory and had to redownload the platform files. Second time it stalled. And since then it has had like 3 updates in 24 hours.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I don't remember this being the usual updater, It doesn't have the STEAM theme, So is this really new or is it just me?

image1pyg.jpg 

faizan_faizan
Yeah I thought it was an issue with my PC. I guess after finding out it was by design I quite like it and its better than the old one.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
much faster, me gusta.