New Gaming Monitor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KingWookie87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KingWookie87
Member since 2011 • 57 Posts
Hey guys I just order my first gaming pc that has an ATI HD 6950 video card. I couldnt find what outputs it has but I'm assuming it has dvi? So i just want to know if this monitor was good for gaming and compatible with my pc? http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS228HP/#specifications Thanks!
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Most high end video cards (like yours) will typically have multiple HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort ports. You dont need to worry about compatbility.

Is it good for gaming? It'll be fine. But considering its a budget monitor, theres nothing special about it.

Spening a bit more for either an IPS monitor or a 120 Hz monitor is a better idea.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Better to go 120Hz

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts
While IPS monitors are good, I just couldn't go back to 60hz after having 120hz.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XaosII

While IPS monitors are good, I just couldn't go back to 60hz after having 120hz.hrt_rulz01

But then you have to deal with craptastic TN panel colors :(

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]While IPS monitors are good, I just couldn't go back to 60hz after having 120hz.XaosII

You don't realize the power of 120Hz... It makes up for it greatly.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]While IPS monitors are good, I just couldn't go back to 60hz after having 120hz.Masenkoe

You don't realize the power of 120Hz... It makes up for it greatly.

I'm getting a new monitor soon as well and need to choose between IPS or 120hz. I have been researching alot over the last couple of days. Everyone says that 120hz monitors are the way to go, but they are just so much more expensive. What monitor do you have? Also what gpu? The most affordable 120hz monitor I have seen so far is this Acer GD235HZ. It has some good reviews and every other 120hz monitor I have seen is 400+. So for me it's either this bad boy or a cheaper IPS panel. But I want to know what are the benefits of a 120hz monitor? They don't have as good colour reproduction as an IPS panel and a worse viewing angle. So what is it that makes them so great??

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XaosII

I'm getting a new monitor soon as well and need to choose between IPS or 120hz. I have been researching alot over the last couple of days. Everyone says that 120hz monitors are the way to go, but they are just so much more expensive. What monitor do you have? Also what gpu? The most affordable 120hz monitor I have seen so far is this Acer GD235HZ. It has some good reviews and every other 120hz monitor I have seen is 400+. So for me it's either this bad boy or a cheaper IPS panel. But I want to know what are the benefits of a 120hz monitor? They don't have as good colour reproduction as an IPS panel and a worse viewing angle. So what is it that makes them so great??

KABCOOL

Theres a certain kind of fluidity in 120 Hz panel that just makes things really nice. The only comparison i can make is the feeling you get from a low DPI mouse to a high DPI one. Yes, you're just dragging a mouse around, but it feels much more responsive and fluid. Its like that, but for a monitor.

In the end, i still prefer IPS. 120 Hz works best on fast moving games and at higher framerates. While a 120 Hz monitor running a game at 60 FPS will still lokk much better than a 60 Hz at 60 FPS, you lose out a bit on the goodness.

Since i tend to play more strategy games, i feel i get more out of an IPS monitor's color reproduction. Its interesting to revisit titles under an IPS monitor and see just how much your old TN panel has been hiding details from you.

Sadly, there are no 120 Hz IPS panels yet :(

KingWookie87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KingWookie87
Can anyone make some more recommendation, I dont want to spend over $150
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

My last big purchase was a monitor and I was stuck between the following two options:

1. 27" 1920x1080 120Hz LED (TN)
  2. 27" 2560x1440 60Hz IPS

I took a while... but luckly a friend of mine had the 120Hz monitor I wanted (samsung 950) and I bought the 27" IPS. Since I had a 28 day exhange I used it for 7 days then I we exchange monitors for a 5 days.

I ended up getting the IP's due to the higher resolution and image quality.I see the appeal of 120Hz monitors but honestly my friend is a heavy gamer and he know wants my monitor aswell.

I can see the appeal of 120Hz monitors BUT they aren't as AMAZING as some people are making them out to be.

So OP... do what you can to get some hands on time with what ever monitor you are buying, its without a doubt one of the most important things since its the screen... :|.

If your leaning towards 120Hz monitors make sure its high end Samsung or Benq everything else at the moment is poor in comparison.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XaosII

Can anyone make some more recommendation, I dont want to spend over $150KingWookie87

At the risk of sounding a bit rude, if $150 is strictly your budget, then it doesn't matter what you buy. Almost every monitor at or below that price range is a budget type monitor with little regard to actual image quality. Most of those monitors are all likely using the same Samsung or LG manufactured panels and just rebranded with different shiny cases.

ANYTHING you purchase will be fine and suitable for your needs, but you aren't going to be blown away.

KingWookie87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KingWookie87
So you feel spending the extra $10 on the IPS monitor is a better investment? I dont really understand the benefit of ISP other than better viewing angles.
d3c3b4l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 d3c3b4l
Member since 2005 • 119 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009261

You don't need anything more until you have some real money to invest. :)

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XaosII

So you feel spending the extra $10 on the IPS monitor is a better investment? I dont really understand the benefit of ISP other than better viewing angles.KingWookie87

I would say its better to spend that extra $15, yes. If not then d3c3b4l's recommendation is perfectly fine to save you a bit of cash.

IPS monitors have significantly better color reproduction than typical LCD panels (which are known as TN panels). Most people are used to how TN panels look so they dont typically realize what they are missing, but you can notice more detail in an IPS panel. Its hard to describe.

Heres a video maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmCKbhARJg Skip to about 1 minute 40 seconds. The left monitor is an LG IPS monitor.

The most notable is when looking at the highlights (the bright headlights and the line of shine on the right of the side walk). If you look at the IPS (the left one), you can still see the highlight, but you can make out more detail - it doesn't just turn into a big blob of white. The same holds true for dark colors, where you dont get big blobs of black, but you can make out more subtle details of dark colors.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KABCOOL

[QUOTE="KingWookie87"]So you feel spending the extra $10 on the IPS monitor is a better investment? I dont really understand the benefit of ISP other than better viewing angles.XaosII

I would say its better to spend that extra $15, yes. If not then d3c3b4l's recommendation is perfectly fine to save you a bit of cash.

IPS monitors have significantly better color reproduction than typical LCD panels (which are known as TN panels). Most people are used to how TN panels look so they dont typically realize what they are missing, but you can notice more detail in an IPS panel. Its hard to describe.

Heres a video maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmCKbhARJg Skip to about 1 minute 40 seconds. The left monitor is an LG IPS monitor.

The most notable is when looking at the highlights (the bright headlights and the line of shine on the right of the side walk). If you look at the IPS (the left one), you can still see the highlight, but you can make out more detail - it doesn't just turn into a big blob of white. The same holds true for dark colors, where you dont get big blobs of black, but you can make out more subtle details of dark colors.

Ok thanks for your help I think I will just get an IPS monitor, because the 120hz I don't really need. I do play FPS games alot like BF3, TF2, CS:S, but they are substantially more expensive, so I think in my case an IPS panel is more suitable. But what monitor do you recommend? I am looking to get something around 24" and my budget is around $200 (maybe a bit more if its really worth it), so what would you recommend for me?
KingWookie87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KingWookie87
120hz seems like a better option, what is the cheapest and decent one?
KingWookie87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KingWookie87
What do u guys think about this monitor for $160 http://www.amazon.com/VH238H-23-Inch-Full-HD-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B004J6BIJ8/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Playing games around 30-40 fps on a 120Mhz monitor compared to on a 60Mhz.....any difference?
KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KABCOOL
Playing games around 30-40 fps on a 120Mhz monitor compared to on a 60Mhz.....any difference?FelipeInside
Im wondering the same thing
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

It's kind of a waste to buy a 120hz monitor if you're only gonna play at 60 fps... Also, since you should always try to play at your monitor's native resolution, I wouldn't get an IPS panel with a native resolution higher than 1080p.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XaosII

Ok thanks for your help I think I will just get an IPS monitor, because the 120hz I don't really need. I do play FPS games alot like BF3, TF2, CS:S, but they are substantially more expensive, so I think in my case an IPS panel is more suitable. But what monitor do you recommend? I am looking to get something around 24" and my budget is around $200 (maybe a bit more if its really worth it), so what would you recommend for me?KABCOOL

The Dell U2312HM is a very good monitor at around that price point.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 XaosII

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Playing games around 30-40 fps on a 120Mhz monitor compared to on a 60Mhz.....any difference?KABCOOL
Im wondering the same thing

There is. TV shows are recorded at 24 FPS but your TV is typically 60 Hz. There are 120 Hz TV's and there is absolutely no content recorded at 120 FPS. You will still see benefits at lower FPS counts than 120. It works ideal at 120 as it also eliminates tearing, but much of that fluid motion will still be seen at any FPS your content is at.

fred1266

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fred1266
Member since 2007 • 991 Posts

i would recommend this

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

My last big purchase was a monitor and I was stuck between the following two options:

1. 27" 1920x1080 120Hz LED (TN)
  2. 27" 2560x1440 60Hz IPS

I took a while... but luckly a friend of mine had the 120Hz monitor I wanted (samsung 950) and I bought the 27" IPS. Since I had a 28 day exhange I used it for 7 days then I we exchange monitors for a 5 days.

I ended up getting the IP's due to the higher resolution and image quality.I see the appeal of 120Hz monitors but honestly my friend is a heavy gamer and he know wants my monitor aswell.

I can see the appeal of 120Hz monitors BUT they aren't as AMAZING as some people are making them out to be.

So OP... do what you can to get some hands on time with what ever monitor you are buying, its without a doubt one of the most important things since its the screen... :|.

If your leaning towards 120Hz monitors make sure its high end Samsung or Benq everything else at the moment is poor in comparison.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

While I love gaming at 120hz, I have wondered many times about whether to stick with my 27" 120hz or switch to a 27" IPS panel. But the main thing that has held me back is the hardware power that is required to run at 2560x1440. It just requires too much hardware power to run at those resolutions and I'd be forever upgrading my GPU to run new games at 60FPS. Hence why I have stuck with my 120hz monitor.