Need to Transfer Steam & Games to a New Harddrive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

So I just bought a new 1TB external harddrive and was wondering if it was possible to transfer steam and all it's games from the sata harddrive it is on currently. The problem is the registry keys, correct? They are all associated with the current sata drive. So am I looking at just having to re-install everything?

Elitemajik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Elitemajik
Member since 2002 • 333 Posts

your gonna have to redownload and reinstall every thing. one of the bad things about digital distribution

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Right click on the game and choose "Backup game files"

Once you do, uninstall the games and reinstall using the new location.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Thanks guys, I also found this...may give it a try

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

No, you don't have to reinstall.

I would leave the Steam program itself on your main drive, and instead move the games to your external drive.

Use link shell extensions to create a symbolic lynk from your OS drive to your external drive:

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

It's simple to do.

After installing the above program, go to your new drive and create a "Games" folder.

Now go to your steam folder in your OS drive (programs/steam). There will be a folder called "steamapps". Move that folder (cut and paste) into your "Games" folder in the new drive.

Right click on the new steamapps folder in your "games" folder you just moved and select: "Select as source".

Now go back to your Os drive and into your programs/steam folder. Right click some empty space and choose: "Drop as" -> "symbolic Link".

That's it. to the OS it will look like the folder in your new external drive actually exists in the old main drive. This way, any new games you download will also reside in the new drive.

I use this myself since I run a smallish SSD as my main drive, so all my games live on a secondary 2 TB drive, but my Steam folder itself lives on the SSD. This way Steam loads up super quick, and my games don't take up space on my SSD.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
i just copy the entire steam folder to the new hard drive...uninstall steam then reinstall steam to the new hard drive and that's it