Need Help with PC issue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

My parents have a dell PC that is about 3 years old or so, todaywhen they turned it on, all the monitor showed was an underscore cursor (or whatever you call that) it was blinking in the top left corner.

When i turn the PC on, it goes to the splash screen, giving the options for setup or boot menu, then goes to the blinking cursor. I was able to get into the boot menu, but there is not much to do there (HDD stuff) so i pushed exit and it went back to the cursor.

Is there any hope?

macrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 macrome
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts
when you get the flashing cursor it means it is trying to boot from and operating system, the only way to get it working again is to reinstall the os hope this helps ur parents pc :)
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Try booting from your OS disc...if that doesn't work you will need to do some troubleshooting.

zidace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zidace
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts
It could be as simple as re seating the hard drive connections, or clearing your CMOS. While this isn't usual, this isn't rare either, I wouldn't sweat it too much, just take your time.
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
[QUOTE="macrome"]when you get the flashing cursor it means it is trying to boot from and operating system, the only way to get it working again is to reinstall the os hope this helps ur parents pc :)

I agree with this and the OS might have got corrupted somehow and can't boot