Need help picking between two games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slunk32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Slunk32
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts

So, heres the story. I'll be home for spring back an entire week, and I'm trying to decide which RTS game to pick up. I have my eye on either Dawn of War 2 or Empire: Total War. My question is...in a short amount of time, which game would I get the most enjoyment out of? How complex/intense is the learning curve in Empire: Total War? Would I get destroyed if I ever tried to play a multiplayer match?

I was pretty good at Dawn of War, so I figure I would be able to pick up DOW2 and go straight to online play. Is this the case? Or would it take me some time to readjust.

Basically, Empire or DOW if I only just have a week to play?

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

So, heres the story. I'll be home for spring back an entire week, and I'm trying to decide which RTS game to pick up. I have my eye on either Dawn of War 2 or Empire: Total War. My question is...in a short amount of time, which game would I get the most enjoyment out of? How complex/intense is the learning curve in Empire: Total War? Would I get destroyed if I ever tried to play a multiplayer match?

I was pretty good at Dawn of War, so I figure I would be able to pick up DOW2 and go straight to online play. Is this the case? Or would it take me some time to readjust.

Basically, Empire or DOW if I only just have a week to play?

Slunk32

I think you might get more enjoyment from Dawn of War II. You say you are a good player with the original where you haven't played much of the Total War series. I am willing to bet that there will be many players who are Total War vets that would be too much. I also hear that the single player campaign of Dawn of War II is pretty decent where there really isn't a campaign in Empire: Total War to speak of (more scenarios than campaign).

Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Rottenberry
Member since 2004 • 4908 Posts

Dawn of War 2 plays NOTHING like Dawn of War 1, and utilizes MUCH less strategy. I've been able to play that game hungover no thought at all just pushing all my troops forward and slaughtering everyone. It plays like a mix of Company of Heros with Diablo in regards to the looting. However there is no base building, nor any other strategic elements present... I mean it's still FUN, no doubt... but it's a pretty brainless and action-oriented game.

Empire: Total War, on the other hand... if it is anything like the predecessors, and from all the positive reviews I have read/watched it appears to be so... is pretty much infused with as much strategic value anyone can ever hope for... however one game can last DAYS... and if you have only one week to play...

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

DoW2.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
DoW2. But Empire somewhere down the line, this game is unmissable but for now you can take a break because it needs a good old patchin' up.
SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 SerbWarrior
Member since 2009 • 459 Posts

Yea,well,screw you guys,im going home,anyway id go with ETW...It has Russia...RUSSIA!!!

:)

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

Dawn of War II isn't much like the original apart from the setting. The campaign design is totally alien and the skirmish/multiplayer is quite different, with a far lower mapcount and no basebuilding. All of your attention will be diverted towards combat, with your "base" there only for the purpose of sending out your units.

I do like Dawn of War II better, but that's because it's a good deal more fluffy, has a more enjoyable campaign (in my opinion), is more fun to mod (due to the added features in combat) and doesn't have half of its armies composed of useless units. The A.I. sucks balls though.

The campaign will probably last you a good bit of that week. Empire's will probably require you to play more than a week unless you play it 24 hours a day.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

I haven't played DOW II or any DOW for that matter - just bought DOW 1 for cheap today in fact. I do have Empire TW. Empire is not quite ready and needs a few patches. It would still be kinda fun, but since you haven't played TW much before the learning curve would be steep. I think DOW II would be your better short-term option and that's coming from a TW addict