Need help buying a new computer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XboxGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XboxGS
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

I have a old dell laptop right now. I could use a new computer. I am thinking I should get a desktop. The range i'm in is $1000-$1200. It can be a little be more. What I am looking for in a computer is
-Windows Vista
-Can play games like Halo 2 and Gears of War well
-Will be sufficent for years to come.
-Large Harddrive
What do you think I should get?

methree15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 methree15
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts

I have a old dell laptop right now. I could use a new computer. I am thinking I should get a desktop. The range i'm in is $1000-$1200. It can be a little be more. What I am looking for in a computer is
-Windows Vista
-Can play games like Halo 2 and Gears of War well
-Will be sufficent for years to come.
-Large Harddrive
What do you think I should get?

XboxGS

Why hello again....

For $1000-1200 are you looking to build or to buy?

Halo 2 and Gears of War are actually not that demanding of games. Even if you brought a p.c you could still probably run those too games fairly well. Most dual core processors and any graphics card not older than a year could play those two games well.

Hard drives are a dime a dozen. Any over 500gigs is a large hardrive.

XboxGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XboxGS
To tell you the truth I don't know that much about computer hardware so I guess I should buy.
XboxGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XboxGS
Is there any where I could go to learn how to build? Any websites?
methree15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 methree15
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts

To tell you the truth I don't know that much about computer hardware so I guess I should buy.XboxGS

ok if your going to buy look for a computer that has at least a dual core processor and a gfx card at least a nvidia 8600GT. An 8800 is even better. 2 gigs of ram is also a must.

Is there any where I could go to learn how to build? Any websites?XboxGS

Look in your local libary for a book call "p.c building for dummies" I read it twice a week before I built my p.c and everything worked out great. Its great to have a book by you so you can quickly look up what to do next.

crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 crzycespy
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts
This is a pretty simple online building guide. A simple way to ensure compatibility is to start with a bare-bone kit. Places like Newegg and Tiger Direct are good places to start (I'm not mad at TD anymore, as they gave me a ton of credit for their oops on my last order). There are lots of others, but I like both their prices and selection. You can build a really nice system for under a grand; far better than you can purchase (Obviously). Anyway, advice: The mobo, imo is the cornerstone of any pc, as it is what determines your ability to upgrade and save money in the future. So pre-assembled or home built, be sure you have at least one pci expressx16 slot (Preferably a 2.0 pci-e). As for cpu, a core 2 duo or quad is the way to go atm. GPU, in my opinion should be no less than a Nvidea 8800 series with 512 or better ram or an Ati 3870 512. As said, a minimum of 2 gigs pc6400 ram. Go with SATA drives, as they are far faster than ide. That said, most bare-bone kits at will come with a case, power supply, motherboard, cpu, hard drive, and ram. That just leaves purchasing the graphics card, optical drives (DvD/CD), and cooling. If you have an old desktop in the closet, basement, wherever; take the darn side off and look at how it is pieced together. Take the ram out, then re-seat it. Do the same with the cpu. It will help you feel more comfortable when working on your new system (If you decide to go that route). Best of luck.